What is the best Linux OS and why?

What is the best Linux OS and why?

INSTALL GENTOO ALREADY YOU FUCKING FROG

holy shit dude just search the archive for 20,000,000 answers to this question

One "Best Linux" thread to rule them all.

dumb frogposter.

For me , probably Fedora.

Because it's stable and the repos don't fuck up every few months

Memes aside I absolutely fucking love Arch© Linux® and the pacman™ package manager.

I like Pacman a lot but the best Linux distribution is Ubuntu

Gnu

/thread

pacman and the AUR are godly. Fuck downloading packages manually, and fuck adding third-party repositories.

Windows 10 because its windows 10

he's right. i don't think we ever got a definitive answer on this. we need this thread to decide.

i vote Ubuntu cause it's the best and better than the rest

Don't listen to these fools. Install Debian. For the GUI I highly recommend KDE (for good computers) or LXDE (for shit computers). I was distro hopping for a while and nothing beats Debian GNU/Linux. It's rock solid and nearly impossible to break unless you do it on purpose. It's fast, well supported, and all the fixes on Ubuntu support forums will work on Debian. It's also very secure. The installation process is a piece of cake. You may need non-free firmware for some hardware. If so, just download the zip of drivers and extract into the directory called "firmware" of your bootable media. If it's not there, just create the directory. The installer will find it. Every other distro is a meme. Debian is for work and daily use. Install it now.

Is a T420 a good computer or a shit computer

Ubuntu my nigga

god damn frog posters, fuck off reeeee

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Linux is the best Linux OS.

android

What about Alphine Linux? Fuck off Stallman.

I've 'broke' it a decent few times fucking around a lot on testing and unstable, but never very badly. The worst was when I accidentially my whole x server and had to connect to bus wifi via the system console with dhclient and such to download it again.

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer...

It's decent with at least 8GB of RAM and an SSD. Perfect for hackintosh or GNU/Linux if you're strapped for cash.

>testing and unstable
>but never very badly
Well there you go. Debian is best OS.

MacOS - but everyone here will deny it why tweaking their desktops to look and function as much like it as possible.

testing and unstable are the only viable options for people who arent just using it as their server, though.
Debian is a rolling release distro for all practical purposes here, unless the conversation is specifically about servers or something like that.
Though still, never very badly despite fucking with it alot instead of just installing a DE and leaving it.

>nothing beats Debian GNU/Linux
Having been a long time Debian user who recently moved to Antergos, I have to object here. There are a lot of things that I like about Debian that are missing in Arch for some reason, like being able to have several versions of GCC at once and extreme levels of stability.

Overall, Debian's slowness is really painful if you want to program. I've had to manually compile and install a lot of software on my system, which isn't particularly good for stability. Wine is especially awful on Debian for this reason.

I have had a few stability issues with Arch, but overall I like having up to date software better. I still dual boot debian in case my Arch blows up though.

Mine obviously

>What is the best Linux OS and why?
There isn't one.
If there was the community would rally behind it but instead there are God-knows-how-many vanity projects by various coders who want to rule the world.
Apple has one OS for Macs.
Microsoft has a small number for PCs.
The Linux world has nothing but choice on their side and tries to make a virtue of it, but instead they are paralysed by choice. Daily there are flame wars between the various distros. How does this help anyone?
There could be one primary distro but then egos would be hurt and the war would flare in minutes.

KXStudio.
Audio based Linux distro.
I think it's brilliant, deserves more attention.
Magic septs says KXStudio's the best.

Trying again.
KXStudio.
Audio based Linux distro.
I think it's brilliant, deserves more attention.
Magic septs says KXStudio's the best.

Noone is paralyzed by the choice between sabyon, funtoo, and hannah montana linux.
There are a few main distros people install or install some variant of, that most people use.
>arch
>debian
>ubuntu
maybe one or two more. They have advantages and disadvantages and you can choose between them based on that. Its not enough choice to be 'paralyzing' though. People use other things too, but they're often just offshoots of one of those
>antergos, manjaro
>mint, ubuntu flavors
>#!
Not even to mention linux distros are hardly even different operating systems. They're mostly different variants of GNU/Linux, and rarely will something run on one but not on another.
>LINUX IS FRAGMENTED BECAUSE THERE ARE A MILLION DISTROWATCH ENTRIES, ITS PARALYZING
>CHOICE IS BAD
>NO CHOICE
Is just fucking edgy contrarianism. You don't sound smart. Talking like whoever makes decisions for microsoft and apple isnt what you wanna do to sound smart. Variety is good.

Arch Linux®

ikr I hate that too.

That's why I use debian

Also a good reason to use any distro at all with more than 6 users

Linux has one Operating system, the operating system is the Linux kernel.

Distros are no operating systems. Interoperability between distros is pretty good anyway, at least with open source software.

>I still dual boot debian in case my Arch blows up though.

What a pussy

I have several types of distros preinstalled into some usb and the important stuf from arhcwiki printed.

obviously the answer is Slackware Linux

I had installed Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint and curretly have Archlinux

Ubuntu: was rly nice at the begining but then they fucked up with that shit GUI.

Debian: "SUper Stable" yeyeye supermega stable but you will have software versions released like a year. So to counter that you will start installing things from testing, unstable and start compiling it for your self. 3 laters BOOM! stability gone bye bye.

Linux Mint: was a newfag got sucked into the meme GUi thing.

Archlinux: The onli hard part is the installation the rest is fucking great and you have aditional software from AUR, the down side is that you will end telling everyone that YOU USE ARCHLINUX

fuu you all use arhclinux the greatest distro eveer!

Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of nigger shit with down syndrome.

All Linux os are best os!!!!

Bedrock because you can do whatever you want with it.

fedora

>works on all pcs(even my elitebook) unlike with other distros(arch linux, ubuntu, debian)
>comes with gnome, the master race desktop environment
>all software i need works(unlike with opensuse and manjaro)
>bootloader works with my pc's firmware unlike other bootloaders that come with other distros(supposedly it's the same bootloader(grub2)) but for some reason only grub 2 works with fedora

for some reason grub 2 only works with fedora*

android