Recent American High-School grad here

Recent American High-School grad here.

How do I get into an entry-level IT position?

Help desk, customer support, whatever, so long as it gives me experience and at least $24k take-home / year.

A highschool diploma and an A+ might be enough, right? What other certs should I get? I eventually want to do sysadmin work, and I've used Linux nonstop for the past six years.

I've set up and ran a few websites, LAMP stack and such, I've set up several home servers and VPSs, I have lots of AWS experience and Linux experience in general. I'm running Void right now.

Any IT anons here that can give me input?

What can I do to sweeten my résumé?

I also speak intermediate German, not sure how useful that is in Houston though. To add on, I'm a novices-intermediate programmer and i am well versed with shell and Ruby. Python and Java are secondary to those for me.

Thanks, Sup Forums

Also general career thread I guess

bamp

Oh I took career class and did successful resumes. First you want to get " experience " by volunteering in tech offices, oh and on your resume give a really shitty sad story or a good story about how badly you wanted that position that will get you there. And hope you don't get matched against someone with a college diploma.

Sob story and pray to cthulhu I don't get in competition with a grad. Got it, thanks user.

Learn a programming language (I suggest javascript). Practice it over the course of a year or two. Start working on projects, building out a portfolio, and maybe poke around with some other languages. Contribute to a popular open source project. Make friends with programmers and they can get your foot in the door. Go to job fairs and show consulting firms some examples of your work. Learn how to interview well and pretend like you know what you're talking about. And it couldn't hurt to study algorithms and data structures as well.

Whoops didn't read the part where you know how to program. But the rest still applies. Please don't keep using php!

Why would you not want to be knowledgable in one of the most popular languages out there because you believe in a meme?

It's a fucking mess and it needs to die.

It won't die anytime soon and it's improving with every version.

Thanks user

I feel like a degree would be useful, and I can get an Associate's with a specialization in CS completely online from a local community college, so that would be a starting point, but I'd be fucking myself into debt transferring to a private college after.

How much is a degree in CS worth for sysadmin work? How much is it worth for entry level IT gigs?

Will an Associates with a CS specialization help me at all?

Don't bother with the degree at the moment.

Approach local IT businesses and ask for unpaid internships or similar. Approach local charities, schools and churches and ask if they need IT help.

Degrees don't mean shit compared to showing initiative.

For programming positions they probably won't care about an associates. I'd say go for bachelor or go full self taught. Maybe a couple classes to help yourself learn more.

Not really sure about sysadmin or help desk. It would probably help you a little bit there but I don't really know. I'd say study a less programming heavy subject such as information technology if this is your goal.

rol

rerol

Dank, dank user. That's what I was thinking, just approaching places to do unpaid work to try and fill my resume.

Do you have any knowledge of certs? I think the A+ is necessary, and if I'm doing tech support or help desk work, I'll be dealing with Windows out the ass, so I think a Microsoft cert would look great

I don't want to go into a programming position full-time. I would prefer to keep programming a hobby, although scripting and automating tasks in a sysadmin-y fashion though.

Its ok user, I got 00 when I rolled ;_;

penis

its not a good idea to start a thread with a roll-image

I tried coming up with a legit reply, OP. I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about that subject, I just want to roll.
Polite sage since this post is shit.

How'd you pick up your current knowledge and experience? Books, online guides?

roll

reroll

Whatever but the fatty pls kami-sama

I don't see any downside to "the slut", she seems super cool.

Get a shitty help desk job by not being a complete retard and rush your RHCSA and CCNA within a year.

roll

Class rep, class rep, class rep
Roll

>helpdesk
Why would you aim so low?
Get your RHCSA and boom you can start doing the real work, don't bother with other certs unless work pays for it.

Uppity slut pls

By doing, I guess. Years ago, I decided I wanted to turn an old PC into a CentOS home server. I was maybe 13 at the time. Since then, I've just learned by doing. I want a website? I'm gonna set up a home server and put that shit up. Same for OwnCloud, IRC bouncers, anything I could, really.

I started using AWS a lot when they introduced the free for 12 months plan, which is crazy great.

For programming, it was a mix of self-taught and CS classes in school.

I aim low because a toxic family life has resulted in me having extremely low self-worth. I'm trying to get away from family as soon as possible for my own mental health.

give me the waifu

rollin

Roll

class rep get

OP here. Rollin too since last time I got 00 ;_;

Same way I'm somehow making 80k with an associates and 1.5 years experience.

Go on Indeed.com, search Linux, and sort by most recently posted. Any decently populated area is gonna have hundreds of applicants for a job, you gotta be among the first to apply.

roll

fags

dem rollz

reroll

roll

Rolling

Rollin

Learn assembly.
Nerd get.

welp

Rollan

Roooooooll

rollin'

roll

>unpaid internship

just cuck my shit up senpai

Gimme dat seven

Rall

making a point of rolling just to ignore OP

I work as a CNC machinist where I press a green button every now and then to make parts. I hate my life

Can you setup things without tutorials ?
Can you write full scripts without any help?
If yes, go het your rhcsa and get a sysadmin job

jarl rolling

Galko is pure. Pure!

I can set up some things without Internet help, and man pages go a long way. I can write some scripts without help, but it's a 50/50 on that.

You can't be serious though that an 18 year old with a shitload of NEET Sup Forums server experience and an RHCSA can grab a sysadmin gig, are you?

what luck!

Rolly olly macaroni

rolling stones

Roll.

roll

Rolling

>highschool grad
too late already my friend, you should have gone to a non shit highschool that had tech clases
also
>two grand a month starting
HAHAHAHAHA

Dubs plis

;_;

muh rolls

Alright i lost my original roll,rerolling!

Rolling?

Rollin gimme dat tomboy boypussy

rollin

czech em

Roll

I want to become the trap gf

8, 2 or 7
Gimme

gimme the tomboy

fuq :(

Allahuackbar

MEME MAGIC

Rerolling for gf

I want to becom the little girl

I'd be happy to be any of them ._.

beep boop zoop

I'm okay with this but I wouldn't smell bad desu

rollan

give me tomboy pls

czech republic

Fuck yeah i win

rolling for dumpy one plz

rollan

roll

Rollando

When we interview entry-level people, we chit-chat a bit first to see if they can interact on a human level. If they can, we then fire off a barrage of questions.
What port does telnet run on? SSH? FTP? Which is control and which is data? HTTP? HTTPS? RDP?
Walk through the OSI model for me. What are the layers, and what would be a representative device for each layer, if any?
How can you quickly verify if a host is up?
How can you quickly find which group policies are being applied to a client (Windows).
How do you find an ip address on a host?
If someone navigates to a web page and receives a 404 error, what does that tell you?
Hands them a hub and a switch Can you explain the difference between these two devices?
Then we'll ask some scenario style questions. You get 3 sev-0 issues at once, how do you determine which to handle first? Correct answer is, you have a team, use it.
I'll ask scenario questions from issues I faced in the past, and see what their troubleshooting looks like. I don't expect a correct answer during an interview, but as long as they seem to start breaking the problem up logically I'm satisfied.
I'll ask BS questions like "What runs on port 24?" I want to see if they will say they don't know, or make something up.
After all that, we'll chat some more and see if it's a culture fit. If so, great, you'll get a second interview with the VP that day or another day.

>RHCSA
Studying for this now, fuck Windows administration. Bored out of my skull most days.

Roll

dubs pls

Roll

Roll for lesbianism

In the midwest working for a small msp making around 36k/yr (first IT job and still in school so experience is great). Id look for small and medium sized businesses that will be easier to get your foot in the door.

I have no certs, have some general IT experience beforehand and a couple of IT internships under my belt. In a couple years I will have my undergrad degree in IT + business minor so I intend to stay on board for eventual management or consultant type position with more pay.

Id say your best bet is go to your local cc, get an AA in IT or networking etc (which often gets you a couple certs on the way) and start applying for all junior positions. In the meantime you should be looking for an internship since you just graduated high school.

Gl and dont underestimate the equal importance of your soft skills. Be clean, concise and polite. Listen to your co workers fully before responding e.g dont interrupt. I know this seems silly but seeing potential candidates in our business, they are often looked over for these reasons, regardless of the skillset (again we are an msp and very client facing so cust service skills in general are a must). I imagine there are work enviornments better suited for spergs etc. Just keep that bit in mind too.

how can someone derail their own thread so deliberately?

TOMBOY TOMBOY