/pcbg/ - PC Building General: Special Christmas Plans Edition

Do you guys have any upgrade plans or maybe want to build a new PC for Christmas? Share your plans and builds!

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/pDLstJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/RYrmm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/nPsmm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/G68jBP
mmoga.com/Software/Windows/Microsoft-Windows-10-Professional-OEM.html?currency=USD
pcpartpicker.com/list/TKXnyf
it.pcpartpicker.com/list/ydrmm8
uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Nic.V/saved/F4qmGX
pcpartpicker.com/list/PChKKZ
microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_950/
pcpartpicker.com/list/Wx44Yr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

user from Poland here. Want to build cheap pc to play games, because my laptop is getting old and I have to play overwatch on lowest settings to keep him at 60 fps.
What do you think about pic rel? I want to spend ~500usd (~2k pln, eurocuck tax hurts) and I'll mostly play Overwatch and Dark Souls 3, watch movies and lurk 4chin.

I'm replacing a dual LGA 771 Xeon server to serve virtual desktops to different tablets/laptops, but I don't know what to replace it with. Should I build this successor model
pcpartpicker.com/list/pDLstJ
or a smaller single socket server for the non-gaming VMs and a dedicated gaming server for the two VMs I'm migrating?

Sorry, a dual LGA 1366 server

2k PLN is a very tight budget. Do you have any parts to reuse?

Since I'm a cheap fuck I scavenged some old parts from the schools Mac (with permission) and was wondering if it's worth using. Rained on once

Can I leave this unplugged? Where the hell does it go?

Also the power supply has a bunch of leftover plugs, do they just stay unplugged in a corner?

Got myself an FX-8350 on the cheap plus an RX-480 8gb on the cheap. Same ones in the list.

pcpartpicker.com/list/RYrmm8

Thinking of what parts to get for the rest. Thoughts on my list?

Please no muh ayymd posting.

Noticed I forgot my power supply in that list. My bad.

pcpartpicker.com/list/nPsmm8

You can leave them unplugged, just make sure you have good cable management so they don't simply fly around in your PC.

ughhh. My power supply has no 4 pin but a 6pin pci connector? am i fugged?

CPU should be of better quality than the graphics card

>falling for the ayymd meme
>125W TDP
>reference cooler Housefireā„¢ GPU
You fucked up for good, son. Anyways, here's a cheaper build: pcpartpicker.com/list/G68jBP

nvm just plugged it in as 6. also it didnt have another square is that ok? pattern wasnt same

This really is /vgcag/ - Video Game Console Assembly General

90% of steam users have igpu's, pcmr can't even run 1080

>the purpose of my life is to shitpost the same boring trash on every thread on Sup Forums every day of my miserable life
Get out of your mom's basement and get a life, kid.

>125W TDP

What does that even mean I'm new to this.

And the GPU has good reviews?

Why include not one, but two extra fans?

I assume you're trolling before you back up anything.

ok so I did find the piece and it's this right? But doesn't it get the power from the motherboard because this shit won't fit or is this the power?

TDP = the maximum amount of power the cooling system in a computer is required to dissipate

so i just build my first pc with a pirated copy of windows 10. its saying i need to activate it cuz shit aint legit. how do i activate this copy?

you buy a key at r/microsofthardwaresales for like $40

>r/microsofthardwaresales
woops microsoftsoftwareswap

Win 10 Pro for $21.90

mmoga.com/Software/Windows/Microsoft-Windows-10-Professional-OEM.html?currency=USD

Updated my list.

pcpartpicker.com/list/TKXnyf

Thoughts? I like full towers, and I'd prefer using two ram sticks as opposed to one. If one fucks up I can still use my rig.

damn, so no exploits exist to validate w10?
oh well.

Maybe but at $21.90 I wouldn't bother to look.

that is wrong

>90% of steam users have igpu's, pcmr can't even run 1080
I can play NetHack on 1200p just fine with an iGPU.

I just bought an Asus Strix 1060 to go with my i5-3450.

Is there a processor I should look to upgrade to in the future for more CPU intensive games? I'm staying on FHD for now, but still pondering 1440p.

this is a joke right?

Tried doing something
it.pcpartpicker.com/list/ydrmm8
This originally started as a 1k build but went overboard
I don't want to go micro and built this with futureproofing in mind
What can I do to lower the price?
Drop meme cooler?

can I keep those wirings that come with the cables on to make it look better, right? It would be stupid to let them loose...r-r-r-right guys

Forgot I'm Italian
Some Virtual machinering and gaymes will lead the chores but not limited to that
I wanted to go new, I'm tired of old hw.

Is eBay the best place to find used high-end GPUs?

Alright, this took me about three solid days to compare and review. I've trimmed all the fat so to speak and I'm pretty happy with it. Any advice and potential considerations are appreciated.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Nic.V/saved/F4qmGX

Pic related is my cooling setup, advice/criticism on that would be great too.

Replace that 200mm fan with two 140mm ASAP. For one, it doesn't push air fast enough through the hard drive cage area and two it leaves a huge area of dead, unmoving air behind its massive fan hub.
I'd leave the PSU shroud and not bother with the bottom air duct, since you'll get more dust than air and turbulence will cause the air from the front to get disrupted by the bottom fan.

About to pull the trigger on this, any last minute suggestions? Not really sure if the 6700k or 6800k is better($260 for the 6700k, $330 for the 6800k)

>P.S.
I already own the 970

So I just noticed my tower has two fans. Do I really need to plugin the second fan in the front? The only thing I see have there is one hard drive and literally empty space in the front half. Not only that the damn cord doesn't even reach the motherboard and there isn't another cha fan plugin. So I need to buy some adapter

What do you think of this?

That sounds good, I can get rid of the bottom 140 and replace the top 140 with the 200, ending up with something like this. Better?

The two 140mms on the front should be static pressure fans, or at least the top 140mm one. Having a second 120mm static pressure fan in the middle won't do much because it's pushing air towards an area where the GPU will occupy. You're best bet is to use a 120mm airflow fan and hope that your GPU isn't long enough to cause problems with it.

Alright I'll do some more messing around.

Aside from the fans, did you have anything to say about my general build?

>uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Nic.V/saved/F4qmGX
Plenty
>do you really need an ATX board?
>do you really need 8 threads?
>do you really need faster RAM?
>do you really need an internal 1TB hard drive?
>do you really need an ATX case?
>do you really need a fully modular 80+ Gold PSU that's almost twice the power that you'll actually use?
>do you really need to buy Phanteks fans?
I'm not being sarcastic or snarky, because you can easily fit a 1080 in your budget.

>not bother with the bottom air duct
Are you telling me it's best to block the fan at the bottom of the PSU?

this is such a ballache to cable tidy

No, the optional fan mount that's under the PSU shroud. It's pointless for almost all instances in that case due to where it is in relation to the front fans (too far away).

Idiot. Download 8.1, activate it, then upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Now you have a legitimate windows install.

>do you really need an ATX board?
Rather have a versatile board I can do more with later down the line.
>do you really need 8 threads?
I bounced between the 6600k and the 6700k, I favor Strategy and heavy content games like A3, which tend to get a bit more out of the chip, but I'm also going to be doing image/video processing. Still a difficult choice though.
>do you really need faster RAM?
It's a good point, same as above though. The gains from clockspeed are negligible IIRC, and as for double up to 16 instead of 8, call it future proofing.
>do you really need an internal 1TB hard drive?
Lots of storage that I don't want to junk up my SSD with (including heavy image/video files), I was actually on the fence about getting a 2TB instead
>do you really need an ATX case?
For this build and what I intend down the line, I'd say so. Also picking it on functionality as well as aesthetics because it'll be lugged on top of my desk.
>do you really need a fully modular 80+ Gold PSU that's almost twice the power that you'll actually use?
I looked into downsizing and aside from the 550, I can't get any lower (with the brand I want) 650 is a safe bet, I don't think I'll be multi-carding anytime soon but even if I upgrade to a more powerful solo card I won't have to worry about power.
>do you really need to buy Phanteks fans?
No, actually didn't really want to rely on them. But since the case comes with three and I'm a cheap bastard, I don't want to replace all of them. Also I was going to get Noctua case fans but it'll fuck up the white and black colour scheme.

As for the 1080, it's way too expensive. I'd rather have a 1070 which will last a few or more years, it'll sting a lot less when I eventually want to get the a 4k/144hz capable card in the next half decade (hopefully sooner)

free trial ended like months ago retard

I already had the case and PSU, but picked up the rest on cyber monday for ~$50 less than listed.
pcpartpicker.com/list/PChKKZ

Did I do good Sup Forums?

Upgrading from Phenom II x4 955 & 7850

>He doesn't know about accessibility upgrades

microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Best DDR3 240pin ram?

If you wanna save a few dollars, like 20-30, buy the Gigabyte h110 mobo, the difference between MSI isn't much aside from some cords/ports. Good budget choice on the CPU, you won't see any insane differences for your gaming purposes. Aside from that, the GPU could be better for price, maybe wait for some deals on a rx 470 or gtx 970 for performance.

I'd say drop the meme cooler, the stock cooler should be enough, seeing as you won't be overclocking the CPU. Look into buying some cheap 10$ USD external computer fans instead, depending if that case comes with 1 or 2 in the front, make sure its 2.

From your first two replies, I think either getting an i7-5820K/6800K and a cheap X99 board or waiting for Zen SR7 and an X370 board will suit your needs better than the i7-6700K. More physical cores will always beat emulated ones.
However, even strategy games rely on faster cores rather than having more cores, so an overclocked i5-6600K will probably be better in that department while saving you over a 100 pounds.

If you're doing a lot of serious video processing, then 16GB will not be enough for high bitrate 1080p or higher resolution files. It will do fine as long as you're limiting your videos to Youtube-quality 1080p H264.

I was suggesting an external 1TB or 2TB drive, since you'll be using it for passive storage anyway. Having a "hot" hard drive these days is hard to justify when swapping them to a large SSD and dumping the finished work into a cold external saves you electricity and drive longevity.
This is one of the reasons why external RAID enclosures are fairly popular with video editors in the industry.

I've done hardware support for content creators in a large media company (if you paid your TV license and watch US shows, you might have seen some of their works) and they use ATX boards only because they fill up every single PCIe slot available. For a consumer like you, I think you could do with an mATX board, since you'll likely only use one GPU and no other PCIe device.

Even with a second GPU (which I advise against), you can still make a 550W PSU work. But that's not the point I was raising, it's the fact that you've gone with an expensive 80+ Gold full-mod unit when you're not really benefiting from it. You're not running your computer 24/7 where you would benefit from electrical cost savings, nor do you get any benefit over a semi-mod for cable management.

Sup Forums is being a cunt about image size tonight. Joot must be cutting costs. Failed like 5 times on this. First time water cooler build. Loop is filled with distilled water and pump is running. Initial air pushed out when filling. Power source out of case and only connected to the pump plus the shorted main board cable which isnt plugged in.

The noises are nerve wracking. Keep thinking I hear leaks and it might just be air I see nothing.

Im worried about that vertical run to the left and the weight of the drain applying torque over time. Might stick something under it permanently to limit the distance it can go.

Should I just leave this thing for 24 hours now? leak test and air bubbles?

As for the fans, there are other options out there, like Fractal Design's excellent Venturi fans (which would go great as an interior 120mm fan). There are other white fan-black shroud fans that push in a lot of air, but I'll admit that Phanteks are really good at what they do. They source most of their parts from the same makers of Noctua fans, which is why many of their CPU coolers and fans look so similar.

looks really nice, dat cord management is sleek

Also what damage can a leak do with power only in the pump and source with the source a foot or two away on a cardboard box. I need to go to bed.

No

Thank you, been up working on it it's 5 am already
If I drop it at all pcpartpicker tells me there's compatibility issues.
I was looking for cases but can't find any better, Corsair says it's only one front and behind
Well meme was there because i7k was intended to be overclocked as futureproofing measures but I think just an i5 will do for at least a couple years, right?
Should I drop to 8gb ram too?

The memes have affected me, I'll take everything you said into consideration though. Might start from scratch with an X99 and go from there.

Also radiator fans dont need to be on right? Will the water get hot just from the pump?

please respond

>FX 8350
But why tho

You'll be fine but you can return to sender if anything happens

Came bundled with the gpu.

Try to save up for an RX470 and a 240GB SSD

Post pics, are you trying to power the CPU?

Hate to tell you this but that mobo, RAM, and basically CPU is money down the drain. Should have bought a used combo if you really wanted it

I would really like to have some other sample builds in the OP (current retard OP only included LI instead of the pcbg pcpartpicker too)

Feel free to contribute builds (NAS, rendering, etc), and I'll add them to this
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

You're in for a wild ride. Always get an aftermarket cooler/binned chip

microsoft Toolkit

You don't need a better CPU to move to higher resolutions. CPU requirement is the same. Generally speaking a better CPU produces higher framerates, which is why you can easily run 4K with discrete graphics on an i3.

Wait until Zen then ask again about a new CPU. Yours is fine for now.

Drop cooler until you buy an unlocked i7

Hardware forums, but you have to have posting rep

3000MHz RAM
A better monitor, preferably >100FPS Gsync

If you have money to burn it's fine, but the prices on CPUs are going to drop soon.

Original build started with i7k
But my budget is around 1100 at best (I think it can fluctuate a bit)
Went back to 8gb ram, i5 and probably case too trying to fit in my budget although I don't want to sacrifice much.
Pic related

Same here, spent all of last night reading so much about graphics cards. We have similar builds if you decide to go with the i5 6500. My personal preference to save some money was to go with the Gigabyte h110 motherboard (micro atx, less pci-e slots), instead of the z170, as I wouldn't be overclocking. You can look into it if you want to save some money on the mobo, and then the case as well, as it would be micro atx instead of ATX (but make sure your GPU can fit by checking dimensions).

I still can't decide if I should cheap out on the PSU, stuck on 500W or 600W.

IMO the i5 will definitely last 3-4 years for me, I went with it so I wouldn't have to upgrade within 2 years. Look into some cheaper ram, it can save you like 50$ and its all the same really. I bought geil evo potenza 2x8gb from newegg.ca last night for 100$.

Can I play games with this CPU?

Of your on a budget I would suggest not looking for aesthetics on that gpu

yes, mame games.

>A better monitor, preferably >100FPS Gsync
Meant >100Hz

If you only have a 1080p monitor, a 1060 is good enough. 1070 is generally for 1440p

Yes, but the graphics cards is the kicker. Are you planning to add a 1050Ti?

This is me My probelm is a lot more on the mental side, I've been running with a piece of junk for years now so now that I can finally spare some dosh I wanted something that would be nice, futureproof and all
Ended up going a bit too high, I don't want to go Micro, but yeah it's an important option, savings wise

I guess I'll have to settle for that, I did want to have some good looking rig, but it's also a fact that my battlestation is small.

>Are you planning to add a 1050Ti?

No, maybe spend $75 on a used gtx 950

This is everything in my current build.
I'm going to add a Gigabyte G1 1080, Pixio 27in 144hz 1440p IPS monitor and a 950 Pro.
Hopefully I should be good for a few years after that.

Not same guy, but that HDD advice is damn good. I could have saved some money if I thought about that earlier.

You'll have to get a model that doesn't use a PCIe power connector, like this
techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_950/

GTX1050 is a far better option

Get a 1080Ti or 1070

Eh, 3.5" externals suck, IMO. Have to plug them in to the wall every time you want to use them. 2.5" is where it's at. HDDs use a tiny amount of power and can be set to go to sleep if they're not being used

No one water cools?

You got meme'd, son.

Meh I knew it was just for fun going in.

The 1080ti is going to cost a little less than a Titan. Whats wrong with a 1080?

Let's say I'm getting an i5 - 6500 with an msi rx 470, with an micro atx mobo and case. Prob gonna go with EVGA 500W Bronze psu. Would I need to buy external fans for this setup? Which case would be ideal so I wouldn't have to buy fans? Can anyone suggest a micro atx case? Pretty lost on this

So I'm going to be saving up for an excessively overkill and overpriced pc and I've never built a pc let alone played on anything but a laptop.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Wx44Yr
Is the list I'm aiming for right now, any improvements within the same price range, I take it I'll need a lot more fans or a better one? I really want a godlike computer that will last a long time capable of playing any games pretty much maxed.

If you're running a regular i5, then it's better to invest in a $15-20 air cooler than a $20 Noctuameme fan for better acoustics.

You are wasting money for nothing.

Games are mostly gpu now anyways.

Go look up linus's build video he just did for holiday shopping.

Spend 1k or 2k on the build he recommends.

Someone who buy a medium build every 3 years will have a better machine then someone who goes all out every 5 years.

Plus much of what you listed gives you nothing you will use.

Like any generic cheap air cooler? Would I attach that to the outside back or outside top? Thanks user

>pcpartpicker.com/list/Wx44Yr
I take it back I went to look a second price as I only checked price the first time.

You are straight trolling and even knowing that seeing that ten core pisses me off.

No one needs that chip its useless.

No, I meant a CPU cooler like a Raijintek Zelos or Cryorig M9i. Get the CPU cooler with the largest fan for best effect.

>tfw build 6600k + rx 480
>But the only game I really want to play is Overwatch
>Could've gone with 6500 + 470 or even 1050ti
Let my squandering be a lesson to you all. Also I occasionally play witcher 3, doom, and fallout but still.

I'm just basing it off the various youtube videos I've seen of people maxing out shit in 4k with heavily modded games and the dude I've been watching uses that 10k shit with dual titans so I figure that it'd work well. What's a better gaming cpu then?
though I'll check the video you told me.

Also I'm not trolling I just want to have an excessive computer capable of maxing anything possible and from what I get titan pascal = godtier for now along with the cpu which I honestly know nothing about but figure it'd be decent guess not.

My case is capable of holding a radiator but since I'm cheap should I go with fans instead or no fans at all? Only 2 fans currently on case

Noctua fans even worth it at all?

Oh ok, so I should ditch the stock cooler it comes with. Would that make a significant difference?

If you didn't have a GPU, then not really since Skylake doesn't tend to get as hot. But since you're using an RX 470 (with what I assume is an aftermarket cooler), the interior of your case will get hot and start affecting the thermals of your CPU. A stock Intel cooler will start getting loud once it the CPU reaches 55 degrees or so. Having a better cooler (or a slightly better cooler in this case) will let you ramp the fans down while getting the same temperatures for less noise.

Ahhh ok thank you that makes alot of sense. Last noob question I swear, would I still need to buy external fans or would stock case fans suffice?