It's over, Linux and OSX are finished

It's over, Linux and OSX are finished.

What is actually happening is that windows is a thing of the past. In a few years windows will just be another linux distro.

What about the network stack ?

Is it working ?

No ?

Then it's fucking useless.

>microdicks adds linux to windows
>linux is finished
are you really that retarded nigger?

EMBRACE
EXTEND
EXTINGUISH

WSL still cannot run in the background after you close the terminal

>buy laptop
>start windows
>enter one command
>linux is installed
>just werks

>buy laptop
>want to install loonix
>wifi doesn't work
>graphics driver hangs
>login window shows black screen
>grub refuses to find your installation
>fdisk can't find your disks
>all your files are split and inaccessible across ntfs/ext3

Loonix is literally finished. It's far easier to Linux under Windows than the other way around. And Linux under Windows is actually supported unlike Wine shit.

Anyways ubuntu is shit. htere is one and only one Linux disto - gentoo.

Fake Linux is linux.
Real Linux is loonix.

Quality post. You just listed your incapability.

At least use something better than ubongo.

>Nitpicking this hard.

Do you archfags even do anything besides use your meme distribution to shitposting and jerk it to loli animu?

Don't bother answering, it's all you're good for so it wouldn't be any surprise.

>implying he has any sane argument

On my pc is reversed but besides that people should buy hw compatible with their software preferences. That's why I bought ThinkPad.

>root by default
kek

I can smell you being a shit smeared mongoloid all the way here. The "Arch is for weebs" meme is just a meme after all. But I guess that is hard to understand for someone like you.

holy fuck that's cool. what x server?

>It's not a meeeeeme
And yet your entire post was a string of them. No surprise.

>The "Arch is for weebs" meme is just a meme after all

So it's just for shitposting then.

will this come to WIN7?

You're saying it as if it was a bad thing.

Of course not. Win7 is dead.

wait. what am I looking at.. W10 has its own VM? ...I cant even

>grub refuses to find your installation
p.l.e.b.
l
e
b

it's not emulated :^^^)))))

how do i rice arch anime style? any guides out there that you know of?

hey OP do me a favor, and just try typing in "ip"

oh, bummer, it doesn't work.

try pinging google.

oh, bummer, it doesn't work without root privileges.

Hyper-V has been part of windows since server 2008

What you're looking at is built in linux kernel emulation

>Using bash to do things you could just do with the command prompt

cmd exists for the time being, this isn't supposed to be a complete replacement
but pls continue your jealousy over software is pretty amazing

How do you live with this font rendering? Seriously, does it not drive you insane?

running linux on windows is nice but you still have the windows part, so it sucks.

>Using windows to do things you could just do with GNU/Linux

>windows user advocating for minimalism

Too bad apt-get is garbage

>>buy laptop
>>want to install loonix
>>wifi doesn't work
>>graphics driver hangs
>>login window shows black screen
>>grub refuses to find your installation
>>fdisk can't find your disks
>>all your files are split and inaccessible across ntfs/ext3
>things that never happen unless you're retarded

What you're saying barely makes any sense. Please stop pretending like you know what you're talking about.

Any association to Windows is too much.

>ext3
I guess that shows how stale that part of the pasta is

Why are you so retarded? End your life.

>Isaac

>windows user
>hebrew name
Checks out

>using windows to do things
Yes because it (alongside MacOS) are the only productive operating systems.

no. big fonts drive me insane.

Bilde ich mir das ein, oder ist dein Font Rendering anders?

This whole "Ubuntu bash on Windows!" thing is utterly retarded.

> It's not a VM! It's really running natively!
> Oh, cool, so you can access the filesystem natively, unlike for example, Cygwin?
> Uh, well, no. You have to access the filesystem through a special path, just like in Cygwin or a VM's shared folders.
> Oh, okay. Well, then, you must be able to interact with Windows' processes and run Windows executables.
> Uh, well, no. You can't do either of those things.
> Wait, so if I have 'git' installed on Windows, I have to install a separate 'git' under "Ubuntu bash for Windows"?
> Well, yeah. We like to think of it as giving you OPTIONS!
> Well what the fuck. How is this functionally ANY DIFFERENT from simply running Linux in a VM on Windows and turning on shared folders?
> Oh, it's very different! For example, you can't take advantage of the complete isolation. Also, you can't install any apt-compatible package.

It's so shit I can't believe they bothered making it a thing. I'm convinced the only reason it exists is to fool dumbass middle managers.

lol someone saved the shoop

>Oh, okay. Well, then, you must be able to interact with Windows' processes and run Windows executables.
You can with the insider builds.

Oh, so they're finally adding something that should have been in there from the get-go?

It *might* actually prove to have some minor value in the Windows ecosystem now? Hurrah. Now if only they'd stop weaseling around shit like this in their release statements and interviews.

They literally told Hanselman that the whole multiple-copies-of-git thing was "giving you options". Absolute bullshit.

I'm not sure what you expect. It's still tagged beta. If you check the changelog it gets updated just about every build.

Yeah it isn't like we had Cygwin for ages or anything

How did you do this?

You're a fucking idiot and probably a liberal arts major.

Linux Services for Windows differs from Cygwin, VMs, and MinGW/Git For Windows.

They're translating POSIX syscalls on the fly to their NT equivalents. That takes a lot of engineering skill that you will never have.

What are they going to do?

It a photoshop, jew?

I updated windows 10 and enabled developer settings. How do i get it working? I can't find it in the windows store

Add the feature then type bash in run.

Winblows will be the most stable distro

It's funny because it's true.

BSD has been doing this for years with their Linux compatibility kernel modules and base packages. It's far from a new technology. There's zero difference between "translating POSIX syscalls on the fly", and an executable interpreter that translates Linux-specific functions to shims/wrappers added to the kernel symbol table via loadable module. On top of that, the BSD method allows Linux programs to interact natively with the file system, since they're running as regular BSD processes! They can be niced and backgrounded just like anything else, unlike the Windows solution.

The way this is being pitched is that it's some fancy new genius technology that's completely different from anything else, which is bullshit. It's not even as functional as a simple Hyper-V setup interacting over a local loopback interface.

the sad thing is that I believe you are really that delusional

Yes but your average wangblows user is too stupid to understand 90% of what you just said.

The main argument I could see in defense of the Windows solution is how they handled the differences in thread and process control. It's not as bad as it used to be with the work done on Services for Unix back when Microsoft acquired Interix; before that, there was no practical way to implement a proper COW fork() call in Windows. Cygwin had to grapple with this and ultimately used a rather complicated solution that still wasn't quite the same. Nowadays you can use ZwCreateProcess() in kernel mode to achieve something roughly similar to a real fork() , though you still have to carefully check for any inconsistencies once the process is spun off. Microsoft kernel developers are the best people to tackle something like that.

Hodor

Does this mean all of my gaymen will be possible on a Linux distro and I won't have to use Windows anymore?

You're being extremely disingenuous here.

The reason why the Linux compatibility layer is more integrated into BSD is that fundamentally both are POSIX-compliant. Both are SysV descendants. It's a lot less work to have interop between different flavors of Unix (Solaris has been doing this forever) than it is to have the same on Windows.

Weebs and l33t h4xx0r teenagers, o f course.

oy vey

>all of my gaymen
slut

>It's over, Linux and OSX are finished.
What? Again? So soon?

There's no gnome.

If they ported DirectX and such, maybe. Otherwise you'll still struggle to run legacy titles. That's basically the current GNU/Linux situation. A ton of new releases actually support GNU/Linux, but hardly anything old gets ported. There are also entire companies being faggots, such as Bethesda. They own the rights to Doom and Quake now, both games have GNU/Linux ports, however these ports are not on Steam. I wonder how much Microsoft pays them.

lol now that you mention it's so fucking jargoney.

Is this in official updates or still just for beta testers?

Windows 10 Anniversary Update

>no CUDA support
Dropped so hard it broke the floor

>using apis only supported by a single vendor

>not using industry standard because muh jews
Boy, it's like you are a handholdless virgin neet or sumtin

Not my fault everything made for it is better than what AMD offers.

>Ubuntu 14.04

KEK

This. If Microsoft isn't careful, this might happen. Currently, if you want to write a native program or library in C or C++, you have a choice. Do you target the Windows API first or Unix-likes first? If you target the Windows API, you reach 90% of desktop users, but only one platform and you may end up hating yourself since the Windows API is so awful. If you target Unix-likes first, you only reach 10% of desktop users, but almost every other relevant platform and 99% of mobile users.

When Windows 7 is deprecated and most computers are running Windows 10, the answer to the above question becomes obvious. Of course you should target Unix-likes first and reach 100% of desktop users. WSL has no plans to support graphical software, but any software that runs in a terminal and/or primarily communicates over the network, including software dev, scientific programs and web dev tools will target Linux and Unix-likes, because you'd be crazy to target Windows and use a worse API to reach less users. When this happens, for certain classes of users, Windows will just be an inferior Linux distro.

Do people still have these problems? Or just retarded and don't know how to install linux, because can't read?
I had some problems with video drivers maybe... 5 years ago...
Tried several distros on my laptop - no issue.

>It's over, Linux and OSX are finished.

So let me get this straight: I can pay $200 for Windows to serve as a host for Ubuntu -- or I can pay $0 to use the exact same Ubuntu directly on the bare metal.

And from this I am supposed to conclude that Linux is "finished"?

Shitty argument. Windows 10 can be pirated very easily, or had for free though various ways.

Not to mention you get the insane amount of software only available on Windows 10.

It's also way easier to install than a regular distro. You can switch distros (like Arch) pretty easily in an upcoming update.

The WSL is barely useful with its half assed posix shit in the NT. For the 3rd E they need a popular fork of ubuntu, without backward compatibility and that would need very heavy investment with questionable outcome as they failed hard with J# too.

>And from this I am supposed to conclude that Linux is "finished"?

>implying it's not a b8

>Windows 10 can be pirated very easily

Wow. The game changer.

/thread

You got that reversed. Windows has no drivers by default.

>it's le 2005 maymay

Linux has negative drivers then.

We aren't in 2002 anymore, gaymer.

My odroid think the other way..

>winfags and freetards STILL arguing about drivers in 2016

Macintosh doesn't have this problem. :^)

All debian distros has better drivers by default than wingblows.