/hpg/ - Headphone General

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Superlux-681-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B002GHIPYI
ebay.com.au/itm/Panasonic-WM-61A-Electret-Condenser-MIC-Capsule-NEW-/112081437209
innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT770.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I need comfy earphones to sleep with in on my side. I saw people recommend Meelectronics m6s. I like the replaceable cable since sleeping with this stuff will probably fuck it right up, but I don't know if can pass the ear to surface comfy test.

>Budget
$50 USD
>Location
USA
>Source
Phone
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Open or closed
N/A
>Comfort level
Ultimate
>Sound signature
Not important
>Past headphones
Painful stock earbuds, and massive cans that don't work for sleep

Is that Hatsune Miku?

I just got the Sennheiser Urbanite. "upgrading" from the skullcandy crusher, and WTF happened. I thought Sennheiser was one of those amazing brands! am I doing something wrong? they sound terrible! I've heard better audio from $20 sony's on a gameboy advance! everything is muffled, the volume is pathetic even at max. I dont understand.... someone help...

>fell for the M50 meme
>Want nigger bass but also good phones in general

>DT770 for closed back bass rattle
>Fidelio X2 for soundstage and general quality
What do I pick, gee

The 770s definitely not the X2s

770's have insanely good sub-bass. X2's don't sadly. They'd be phenomenal if they did.

Both are good headphones though.
X2's will have more width and mid bass warmth, and 770's will have more clarity in low end and highs, but somewhat recessed mids.

I prefer 770's, but only because I'm used to having a proper subwoofer so I find X2's quite throatless. If you don't have that love/need for sub-bass, then you may just prefer X2's for their insane soundstage/width.

See if there are any local audio shops where you can demo both [or even just one]

>blue twintails
>01
>meme sleeves
>zr
Wanna take a guess?

Just bought the FiiO E17K to use with my desktop and phone. Going to pair them with my MSR7. Can't wait lads.

What's wrong with the M50s?

Yeah I figured I'm going to have to find someplace to give at least one of them a listen before choosing. Thanks.

Objectively nothing. For me, too neutral.

Are you bass-deaf?

No. Like I said, I just like nigger bass. They are studio monitors, after all.

>m50
>too neutral

>studio monitors

The only thing studio monitor about the M50s is what it says on the package. They are far from neutral.

Low end is somewhat sloppy and boomy, but the highs are incredibly sibilant. Worse than DT990's. Pads are also dogshit uncomfortable.
M40X are far superior to them. Much more smoothed response. Slight Vshape, but pretty damn neutral for closed cans. Still retains detail in the highs without being stupidly sharp.
Pads are still dogshit though. HM5 pads fit on them perfectly though.

>too neutral
holy fuck you're actually deaf
they've got bloated as hell low end

>They are studio monitors, after all.
No, they're not. Thats just shithouse marketing. Anyone actually using them as studio monitors has legitimate down syndrome.

let this be the next OP image

Well whatever the case may be, they're not for me desu

I bought the HD 598 and it won't work properly. I plugged the 6.3mm into a 3.5mm adopter into my mobo, and sounds wont come from one side. If I twist around the plug, it works. Anyone know whats up.

Adapter is fucked. Common issue.

It's not like I used it much. Maybe the on board audio cant power the headphones?

Going to be selling my Superlux 668Bs potentially

What else should I look for at around $50-60? Just want to try something else

Almost considering a headset, but all the microphones in them are shit, I'm not at all an audiophile, but ya I missed the cyber monday deals on them

Don't think so. 598's are pretty damn efficient. It's a common issue with 598/558/other Senny 6.5 to 3.5 adapters, if you're using the stock one. Just go buy a new one for like 2 bucks at any audio store.

>Budget
Under $100.00
>Location
USA
>Source
FIIO DAC/AMP
>Type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Max Comfy
>Sound signature
Whatever
>Past headphones
ATH-Meme50x
Fostex TR-80 80 Ohm
Panasonic Retros
Various levels of shit.

I'm looking for something that I can take to the gym and beat up, get them all sweaty. Right angle jacks and detatchable cords are preferred.

looking for Headphones Standard Music Headphones Listening loudly since i have a nearly 20-40 DB Hearing loss

>Budget
Subject to change
>Locality
USA
>Source
PC Feeding a Dac via Fiber Optic
>Type
Full Size
>Open/Close
Meh
>Comfort
Pretty good I listen to music or Binge watch anime for anywhere from 5-12 hours
>Sound
FLAT
>Past Headphones
Pioneer SE-505s Pioneer Monitor 10s Pioneer Monitor 10 IIs and AKG K701s

think i'm about to pull the trigger on dt880 600ohms. monoprice dac/amp enough to drive it? or do i need to shell out for the shitt stack

Can anyone provide some insight on the mdr100 abn/b?

See if the volume is enough for you, and if it isn't, just buy a new amp.

Which is more neutral: HD600 or DT880?

overpriced style cans

why post if you can't answer the question lol
worst girl btw

Looks like the HD600 is flatter.

>Headphones Standard Music Headphones Listening
nigger what are you smoking

either way just get a good set of fairly easy to drive headphones and a solid headphone amp. Any good amp will blast headphones miles past normal listening level

Tascams have some good closed options while the SHP9500s are hard to beat for open headphones that are similarly priced.

600, but 880 kinda has an edge in the low end imo

What are the cheapest AKG/Beyer sized circular velours that are nearly the same quality as the OEM part?

Buying proper replacements is fuckin expensive man.

I have stock HD-650s.

I know they need more juice than my PCs motherboard can provide; anyone else with 650s suggest an good amp/DAC?

What is your budget?

Is the volume too low?

Fiio E10K is the meme recommendation here

that shit you get when you are sleep Deprived. anyhow Thats not the issue I have A decent amp I would just like to have A newer pair of headphones

No but I'm sure they could go a shit load louder with a proper amp/DAC but for movies, TV shows and vidya they sound good/loud enough.

I'd like to keep it reasonable so under $1,000.

What are some replacement pads I can get for my MDR-7506 besides the original ones? Preferrably ones I can get from the German thomann. I know about thise auray sheepskin pads, but I can't find them with fast shipping to Germany.

Waow the Xiaomi Hybrid v2 sounds really tinny compared to the Apple Earpods, I guess that's just me being used to the dark, muddy, boomy sound of the Earpods though, right?

Schiit Jotunheim is pretty much unbeatable with its current price tag and you get a true balanced input/output to boot.

>and you get a true balanced input/output to boot.
Which doesn't mean much outside of having more output power and double the output impedance.

You get to use those bad-ass Neutrik XLR jacks though. Makes your system more manlier!

I almost bought a Jot just to have a reason to use the balanced cable for my HD800S, but after the Valhalla 2 disappointed me with how indifferent it sounded to my DAC2's headphone amp I doubt a solid state Schiit would do much for me.

let's see how this goes

>Budget
up to $65-70
>Location
Holy Kingdom of Romania
>Source
Fiio M3, phone, laptop
>Type of headphone
Overear
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
say I want them to be comfy 2-3 hours a day of continuous use
>Sound signature
bassy, don't really care tho
>Past headphones
some Philips/Sony headphones that don't deserve mention, regular stuff
Sennheiser cx-300 ii - best sounding earphones i've ever had

I've been considering the Sony - V55, Audio-Technica m20x and Sennheiser 205.

May I recommend the Senns I own, I've used them for sleeping before, they fit well in my ears.

>I know
Do you?

I'm pretty sure the whole Jot package is already better than the Benchmark DAC2.

The DAC isn't very good.

HM5

Welp, my hd650s finally died after 11 years of service. I should really just get another pair but after having them for so long I'm tempted to try another brand. My only real complaint was them being open but even that was a very minor inconvenience. Has anyone here had 650s and switched?

F

Are these any good?
amazon.com/Superlux-681-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B002GHIPYI

i don't know how to read response graphs so i have a retarded question
i've seen people recommend beyer cans with the caveat that the treble peak can be tough to handle
i noticed the zx700 graph looks similar, i used a pair of those for years until the cable died and was never bothered by the highs
should i be ok with the DT series then?

Can someone show me the ws99 and es10's signature frequency respond? Just curious

>Budget
$200Location
USA
>Source
Computer
>Type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
open
>Comfort level
n/a
>Sound signature
Not necessarily important
>Past headphones
Seinnheiser hd 485

Basically wondering if the HD 598 would be an upgrade or not. I need something all around.

If the sound is too low and there's no volume bars to raise higher, does it mean I need an amplifier?

desktop PC + m40x

Correct

I think that anyone that has compared HD650 to HD600 switched from the HD650 at some point.

>never seen this image
>the most overrated shit miku illust
miku a shit

Yes, you're already accustomed to killer treble. If you have money to spend in Beyer product, don't get the DT990, get the DT880 instead.

Yes.

Wait for HD6XX to drop again on massdrop, or get 558's and foam mod them.

Also look at K612. More detailed than 598's if if that's what you're after.

why the 880 over 990? just overall neutrality?

i'm hoping to be able to try the 770/880/990 before i make a final decision but the only place around here that sells anything besides beats and skullcandy is a desolate guitar center, so i have to pray they're having a good stock day when i decide to go.

Both DT880 and DT770 have overall better accuracy than DT990.

What is the differences between the Fostex TH-X00 variants, Which one is best?

Yo /hpg/
I'm interested in building a headphone measuring rig just for basic modifcation refinement. Is there anything I need to do other than buy some decent shotgun mics and a foam block [and maybe silicon ears]

>finally died
You mean you fried them by playing it way too loud? Headphones in general are hard to destroy unless you did it purposefully. In this case the Sennheiser HD6.. series have small wires in the driver that are inaccessible unless you dismantle it open. How did you manage to kill yours?

his adhesives and shit probably ended up losing stick over time
might be in a high humidity environment or something
pretty fucking hard to kill the driver itself though. you wouldn't even be able to listen to them even close to levels where you'd be damaging the headphone

either that or those little spring contact bits where the driver slots in died over time due to movement

What is the difference between the HE-560 and the HE-500, which is better

Which model of the HD2XX line is the best?

A single measurement mic of a decent accuracy and carboard box is basically what you need. Most measurement mics are good enough that calibration isn't important. UMIK-1 is a great and very easy to set up, Behringer ECM8000 another if you have an interface with phantom power. You probably won't be targeting for some specific response and instead will be working on a flat coupler with its limitations, making relative comparisons before/after modifications and getting a rough picture of the tonality.

Some kind of porous material is useful as a surface for the measurement plate area. It helps to get a decent seal and can damp some HF reflections. When measuring headphones, note that the seal you get with flat plate coupler might be a little optimistic, depending on the surface material used and the size(width) of the entire coupler. As such you should pick a box roughly that of a size of an average human head to simulate the clamping force.

Don't bother with the silicon ears. Filtering out the ear response is hard, getting an accurate model of the auricle and ear canal without paying for one of the existing ear simulators is pretty much impossible and the main benefit of such simulator is better HF accuracy but only after the exact coupler response is known. The external pinna also makes measuring some headphones really challenging because the ears protrude and tend to be stiff. Small closed back headphoes and on-ears are a pain to measure with them.

One more practical thing which I noticed. Think of wire routing when you make the coupler. Some headphones have their wires sticking out from the bottom with stiff connectors. It's best to reserve some room for the wires. Microphone size can also be a limitation, especially with the XLR connector which adds up some length. You can't fit all microphones+connector between the headphone ear cups without mounting the microphone in an angled position which I wouldn't recommend.

Righto, thanks for the info. I've been looking up shit over the past half hour or so.
The mics you mentioned are way outta my pricerange. I'm too much of a poor cunt.
I've seen people using these
ebay.com.au/itm/Panasonic-WM-61A-Electret-Condenser-MIC-Capsule-NEW-/112081437209
in the threads and discussions ive been reading so far.

They seem small enough that cabling would be the least of my issues, and theyre fuggin cheap. No idea if they're any decent, though the people mentioning them seem to have satisfactory results using them.

>which is better
>Which one is best
Subjective, faggot

I have no idea about those, the mics I recommended are pretty much your cheapest measurement microphones but of course you can use basically any microphone to capture data. Their linearity can be a limitation. Microphones have their own sensitivity too which is frequency dependent. You'll be able to make relative comparisons(before/after) just fine but you might have to forget getting any decent accuracy. Have you seen any measurements done with them?

based on what autist

By asking which is better you are asking for someone else's opinion on the headphone(s) which may or may not reflect how you feel about them. There is no straightforward answer to that question, just different preferences. If you want to hear what others think of those, that's fine, but don't expect someone to know what you would think and give a definitive answer.

I fell for the HD600 meme.
I have no regrets.

wut

>HD600
how do they sound? Which type of music you listen to with them?

Veiled and no bass.
Nightcore and lolicore.

They sound really flat, but fantastic. I'm pretty new when it comes to these things, so I can't really explain it well. My last pair was a SR60i I bought several years ago without any prior knowledge, I just liked how they sound. I'm still on the same boat, just recently read your wiki.

On types of music, I listen to a lot of things, some that I can't even classify them. If it helps, mostly classical, metal, jazz, just about every type of rock, moon tunes, vidya osts, etc.

Should've get HD 598 at least, for the amazing low-end. Well, you listen to nightcores so who gives a shit. Lolicore is no exceptional, not like real hardcore

good for you buddy!

I didn't get an answer yesterday so I'm gonna ask again.

If I want to connect a 2.1 audio setup to my PC, is this the correct way to do it?

PC>DAC>Amplifier>Speakers+Subwoofer

PC -> USB-DAC/Amp -> Headphones

Thats the correct way

After the blunder of the century that was the Sennheiser 598Cs with all the negative characteristics of closed cans but none of the positive points i.e. muffled sound, frequency mush but no noise isolation or none/minimal sound leakage made me even doubt if the 598Cs really were closed in the first place. It had shite sound and leaked sound just as much as my super open Philips SHP9500. The 9500 are basically loudspeaker sticking on your ears - the most open headphones I've ever had.

I'm mean what's the point of the 598Cs? They were even advertised as noise isolating headphones and even if not, it should be in the nature of closed headphones since well, they're closed.

These are the only positive points and the ONLY reason why anyone would even consider closed cans because they get DESTROYED in pretty much every other regard by open cans and yes, even bass. Contrary to popular belief open headphones can have excellent bass characteristics.

My questions is, are there any decent, reasonably priced closed headphones which actually do noise isolation/avoid sound leakage? I don't want people to know about my Britney Spears playlist and annoy my roommates. I don't expect any miracles but it should be at least somewhat decent. In-ears sound shit on anything other than "low energy"/low Ohm requirement devices such as smartphones, mp3 player and other mobile gadgets so they are not an option. Yes, even the more expensive ones are complete and utter shite. Trust me, I've tried them all.

It looks like if you really want decent noise canceling & no sound leaking you have to go with actual Studio/Monitoring/DJ- Headphones with no soundstage and super linear sound in general, unfortunately.

And please no Sennscheißer garbage anymore. Made in Germany quality mein Arsch.

>(you)
nice pasta

XPT100, DT 770, HDH50

It's not you twat.

Are the DT 770 really that good at noise isolating? I mean, they don't look like over-ears more like on-ears so I kinda have my doubts.

>DT 770
>more like on-ears
Dude, they are pretty big actually, same size as my DT880 which barelly touch my ears, and yes, the isolation on the DT770 is pretty good.

Broadband Isolation in dB (100Hz to 10kHz): -15 dBr
innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT770.pdf

Just got a pair of m50xmg on sale for like 150. How much of a meme are they and what other cans am i better off getting. I listen to any genre thats not country, but favor rap rock orchestral and electronic

this guy fell for the O2 meme

I'm having trouble finding headphones with the same comfort level as AKG cans. I have a big head.

>Budget
$400 USD
>Location
USA
>Source
ODAC
>Type of headphone
Over Ear
>Open or closed
Closed or semi-open
>Comfort level
Ultra comfy
>Sound signature
Tame but slightly warm
>Past headphones
AKG K553

Was looking at the fostex th x00 massdrop deal, but according to the head fi review they were a bit small.

Sennheiser PC350

Now deliver clay

DT880 Premium + EQ perhaps?