Hey Sup Forums

Are Chromebooks shit or good?
I'm in the search of a new laptop for college and the Chromebook's operating system caught me attention.

Get one then install gentoo.

Chromebooks can be pretty good depending on what you get

Chromebooks are great for creating/editing documents in either MS Office or G Drive, editing photos, and normal web browsing. Not too great for gaming, making music or editing video. They're a bit underpowered most of the time unless you buy a more expensive model like the HP Chromebook 13.

I got an HP Chromebook 11 (G1) and I fucking love this thing. The battery life is fantastic and it somehow managed to get even faster and more stable as time progressed. Also the trackpad is something else, especially for a laptop so cheap. Also the speakers on this thing are God-tier. I'm surprised HP didn't use them as a selling point. I've had it for 3 years now and it's showing no signs of giving up on me.

I'm on a really cheap Chromebook, running Chrome OS. I can do anything online, and have SOME offline features. (Watch saved .webm's or videos, listen to my FLAC's, or MP3's etc...) If you know the right Chrome apps, the Chromebook becomes a pretty powerful portable machine. It's a way cheaper Macbook Air/Macbook. It's fanless and runs cool, too. Been using my bottom tier- Asus C200 for a year now, it takes ~8 tabs to crash, 1 of which is a YouTube video. You can enable Developer Mode and flash any Linux distro on it.

Also, 10 hours battery life.

It depends on what Chromebook you get. Dell's Chromebook 13 and HP's Chromebook 13 are amazing but expensive. Haier's Chromebook is cheap af but will crap out in a matter on months.

Chrome OS is more than capable if you're a normie and even if you're a bit outer-normie, but not if you're anything else.

I didn't expect Chrome OS to be able to hold files offline, but apparently it can do that. .jpgs, .pngs, .gifs, .mp3s, .flacs, .pdf, you name it.
Neat.

You got it. Even more with Linux dual boot.

I like the Files app for its simplicity. Super easy to navigate without sacrificing legitimate features.

BUT! With cheaper Chromebooks, you should purchase an SSD for more space. My C200 only has 16GB's. That's horrible, unless you're not that big on downloads. Also, if you've logged in to that same Chromebook using your JewMail account, you can turn it on and use it without internet. It's not like you're screwed without Wi-Fi, as some think.

I've got a Chromebook Pixel LS, which would barely count if it wasn't for the ChromeOS since this thing is an expensive powerhouse with a great build and amazing screen. i7, 16 gig RAM, 64 gig SSD, and a 3:2 HiDPI display. I can't stop cumming all over it.

I almost don't even want to bother with a Linux dual boot/crouton setup since it has Google Play Store integration letting me use Android apps.

Almost.

honestly I'm just jealous of the easter eggs

>chromebook

C201

+ libreboot + debian armhf + xfce

You mean the 3-year Google Drive subscription? It's nice but I'm still tentative about diving headlong into the botnet life.

no, I mean the konami code light bar thingy. also the thing that happens when you press ctrl+alt+refresh.
the pixel has easter eggs all over the place

Oy m8s, what distro would be the best for the Samsung chromebook 3

Because in chrome OS my ram usage is like over 50 percent

Oh yeah, those are fun, too. I like using the battery display where you double tap the light bar and it lights up based on which USB-C port you have your charger plugged into.

Speaking of Chromebooks: Has anyone tried Gallium OS? Is it good?

Yeah actually. It's good but for my model internal sound doesn't work

>Get one then install gentoo.
Chrome OS is built on Gentoo.