Are pop ups undefeatable now ?

Seems like almost every site I visit hits me with a pop up know to subscribe, give them my email or install their app even though I have pop ups disabled. Did something change ?

Popups are being blocked and have been extinct for a while now if you have a modern browser, what you're seeing are pop unders.

Yeah now they just do animated shit with video and audio that slides up to cover your entire fucking page with bullshit and is coded so poorly you can't close it.

I think that is what I'm seeing

Install Ublock origin and block the javascripts responsible.

When I run into that shit and am unable to read a story I usually shitlist that domain so I don't see it in my news feeds.

Install uBlock Origin, whitelist j-list.

>have ublock
>go to nhenti.net
>pop up window pops up but quickly closes
What the fuck is this shit.

>unable to read a story
What I tend to do is filter the video. I don't want to watch a fucking video, I just want to read the story.
What's worse is when you have a bottom bar of news feeds, a top bar of random ass shit you don't want, and a bar on the right with even fucking more news stories, and the bar is so long that the article is just 1/8th of the page.
Still not as bad as autoscrolling, though.

You're almost certainly not seeing popups (or popunders which were popups that went behind the active browser window so that they ambushed you when you closed the window after being done with a site.

You're seeing a div in the web page being obnoxiously manipulated with css and javascript to block the rest of the content on the page. It's part of the page.

A combination of uBlock and noscript works fine on these things though noscript makes browsing the web randomly a frustrating experience because you keep having to work out what stuff to whitelist for sites to work.

>When I run into that shit and am unable to read a story I usually shitlist that domain so I don't see it in my news feeds.
>Yeah now they just do animated shit with video and audio that slides up to cover your entire fucking page with bullshit and is coded so poorly you can't close it.
I use dev tools in my browser and delete dom elements until I get back to the content. The root element is usually named something like 'ModalNagContainer' or 'SuggestJoinMask''. Some version of container/mask/layer after whatever it's trying to make you do.

Just right-click the thing blocking the content and select 'Inspect Element' or whatever it is in your browser. Then go up a few levels in the DOM hierarchy until you find the highest element that has the div but not the page content, and right-click again and delete it.

All these deletions are completely temporary and just in browser memory so it's really safe to fuck around with, if you get it wrong then you just reload the page.

same here

>What I tend to do is filter the video. I don't want to watch a fucking video, I just want to read the story.
Before I got a new PC with absurd RAM, I used to have to do that on any wikia site or chrome would crash my OS by trying to run four video ads on every page simultaneously.

When I browsed stack exchange and opened a few links to startrek wikias etc, I'd end up with four or five background tabs all playing four video ads each...the browser would hang and take the OS with it.

I used to have to really quickly, change to the tab, inspect the video elements and delete them asap before the browser consumed 500% of system RAM and went into some constant page fault loop.

I assume you're talking about nhentai, and that is going to happen since they use those special window popups.

Turn your adblocker off and see what happens.

Does that only happen if an ad blocker? I might as well leave it on since I am using umatrix. Its just a little annoying them seeing pop up and close automatically.

Set new windows to open in tabs. It's slightly less annoying.

popups are indeed undefeatable

Disable javascript.

What you are talking about could be called next-gen popups. The traditional "block popups" option present in any browser and enabled by default since ages has nothing on them

>Seems like almost every site I visit
What browser are you using? Which websites are you having issues with?

Modern browsers should stop that. I use Firefox with ABP+NoScript. But FF always stops the popups.

Provide some examples of these sites that are giving you popups. Hopefully, I won't have to make fun of you for using some weird browser.

>chrome

>install extension popup
>this website wants to access your location
>this website wants to send you notifications

FUCK

Oh damn them pop-unders be deadly

Best way to deal with them is to grab a brick and luanch it at your screen. works everytime

>sign in to Chrome on new device
>sync extensions
>every one opens a tab saying "thanks for installing!"

>not using Strict Pop-up blocker
there is nothing that goes through
it's easy, really

See, my 75HP motorcycle can indeed defeat your shitty pigfat pigfatty of pigfacity because it has no bloat

i don't believe that people still browse the internet without an adblocker. it's unusable in that state.