OpenSUSE close to overtaking Ubuntu

Why aren't you using opensuse anons?

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/676664/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because I'm using Arch and it just werks

Its all about that tumbleweeeeed

Haven't used it before, it's foreign to me. Not sure all my programs will work on it as easily as on debian (league and wow)

arch
just werks

>Distrowatch itself affirms that its page rankings are "a light-hearted way of measuring the popularity of Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality, and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more."[8][9][10][11]

The only relevant Linux distros are Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Fedora.

If you were obsessed with le unix mindset, you would be using *BSD.

I'm with thus guy

Generally these 4 fit all the main not-an-obscure-hobby use cases and see very little compelling evidence to use other distros

Arguably there are special cases like Kali for Pentesters and Tails for your Spies/Paedophiles but those are special cases for a reason.

Arch is objectively the best home distro

Distrowatch doesn't mean much, a guy with a small botnet could put Gentoo at the top of the ranking if he wanted too.

Some of us don't have NEET levels of spare time, m8

Instead because people have better shit to do (even if you don't), muh bleeding edge doesn't matter, and muh having to put everything together myself is just a waste of time.

I use mint at home, it easy to use and it works well.

yeah no

FUCK YOU

I'm not some fucking NEET you fucking cuck, and Arch isn't even that fucking hard to use.

Fuck off with this free time shit, my parents would kick me out if I didn't get a job, So I am NOT a fucking NEET

And Arch IS the best distro fuck head

>my parents would kick me out
>he lives with his parents.

Boi.

>best distro
But you're wrong.
Pic related.

you might not know this if your from the US but suse is for the EU like what fedora is for the US.

>opensuse is the EU version of workstation os

This I did not know, if that's the case then fair enough

>rpm

How is it the best distro when Budgie is unstable, lackluster software?

O'Debian rulez.

One limited survey of a limited population of Linux users is hardly compelling evidence that openSUSE is "close to overtaking" Ubuntu, OP. Anyway:

>Why aren't you using openSUSE?
See: I spent ages getting my Arch working properly, so I'm not looking for something else.

No it dosent.

If play on linux works (and it does, its in the packman repo) then they should work.

see above

>Ubuntu
>relevant
pick one

Fedora is garbage. Use gnome3 or fuck off, thats how fedora works. The spins are horrible, especially the KDE one.

Mint and Debian are the only two relevant distros you mentioned. Also CentOS.

And what use cases do Fedora and Ubuntu fill other than pissing off their users and wasting their time.

For autists.

But he won't because he is too busy fixing arch/installing gentoo

2008 use map of open suse

I want to bitchslap the person who designed opensuse.org. This is a usability nightmare.

DEBIAN & KDE all day erday.

Why would I use Mint over Ubuntu?

>other person: whats that on your computer?
>you: openSUSE
>other person: WAT?!?!
>you: tfw all alone

I feel the same way, seriously.
I spent weeks of my free time just going through the wiki and man pages to get my installation acting how I want it to, and I feel like I learned a lot about how everything actually 'werks' because of it.
Also inb4 >autism

/thread

But it's not unstable.
Why lie?

Since Arch is rolling release I bet its number is pretty misleading.

just research google search world searchs per country for fedora and opensuse

>related searched term opensuse:
>opensuse 42.1
>opensuse 13.2
>opensuse 13.1

>related searched term fedora:
>cinnamon
>neckbeard
>fedora cinnamon

just what i expected

I use OpenSUSE as my main driver. This thing is great. It works quite well out of the box and Zypper; the only package manager that is better is Pacman.

Shut up, Kevin.

Fedora lxde spin just werks on my computer

What makes it better than pacman?
I've been using Arch for a few months now and I would marry pacman and the AUR if I could.
Not trolling, am genuinely curious. :^)

because opensuse isnt rolling release

tumbleweed is literally a rolling release system

no its not they only claim it is they are liars

This desu. The whole reason I like Arch so much is because it comes with nothing. Makes you appreciate your install once it's customised to your liking. Where's the fun in just installing some generic distro where the next guy's functions exactly the same as yours. How uninspiring.

because i like my freeBSD thanks

god dammit no computers ARE NOT art projects

well if you say they lie without any statement to back that up i HAVE to just belive you since we are on the internet and your opinion is king here ... right

exactly

Running opensuse on my laptop, not a huge fan of it really.

Why shouldn't you be able to customise and control your working environment as much as possible? Computers are beautiful machinery and it's nice for them to become "art" projects.

no its fucking not no one should have to think about their computer that much its for work and SOMETIMES once in a blue moon when you have NOTHING else to do games its not for being art

thats a programmers mindset maybe...

people who work with hardware would rather think of computer related things as engineering then art >i think

Function > Form

user wasn't saying that you shouldn't be able to customize and control the system. Rather, user was (correctly) intimating that shouldn't be the whole point of the endeavor.

Fuck openSUSE.

Defianately fuck Ubuntu

Archlinux is the master race.

If your talking home pc, you cant beat Fedora

What are insinuating?
That people shouldn't configure software to their liking?
For me, using and learning about Linux on my desktop is a sort of educational hobby.
The same fascination that led me to learn about cars and how to fix them drew me to learning about this 'free alternative OS' as I knew it back then.
If you're saying that the average tech-illiterate shouldn't be forced to use obscure terminal commands for everyday tasks, I'd agree with you.
But I certainly hope you aren't trying to say that NOBODY should want to understand how their computer and operating system works.
That would alienate the majority of the people on this board, you faggot.

>Arch is objectively the best home distro

Ill give you that Arch is objectively the best distro.

But for home? Ill take Fedora/RHEL

well shit nigga it's certainly not the best server distro

>cars
>hobby OS

wow you are like a walking meme

You're an idiot. When your computer is used for work then it's worth the time to set it up so you can use it as efficiently as possible. But no point in arguing with a NEET who wouldn't understand that :^)

>Implying OpenSUSE is better than Fedora
>Have fun recompiling your entire kernel if you want SELinux enabled

Maybe.

Or maybe your fuckin dumb.

OpenSUSE is more bloated than the average American at Burger King. Ill take SELinux Fedora LXDE any day.

Why not both? They're not mutually exclusive. Besides form can contribute to function. Your user experience enables higher productivity and efficiency.

why isnt elementary number 1 mint isnt that good

If you're using it for work you're probably better off using a stable distro like Debian, my guy

Literally never had a problem. You can also change how "bleeding edge" your updates are.

>Running Fedora 24 LXDE
Fedora LXDE master race, reporting in

That is actually...

quite funny.

Not even on the list so it must be bad.

I'm running Tumbleweed, it's brilliant if you like KDE in the same way that Fedora is brilliant if you want the best GNOME desktop.

Zypper is a little on the slow side, though not anywhere near as bad as dnf. YaST is very convenient, but I see why a lot of people don't like it (muh GUI admin tools are for wangblows users!).

Oh and I'm not sure why so many Archfags have come out of the woodwork to say it's better than Tumbleweed, but it isn't. Silly Archfags.

>hurr i can't select wat 2 install so bloat and u r dumm durr

>disk usage 70%
>not bloat
kek

>mint

i just installed opensuse in a VM its pretty bad and its unclear as to what package manager to use i will tgry KDE tomorrow but for now sleep

lwn.net/Articles/676664/

>disk size: 6gb
can't install a windows on that

meant to say fedora not KDE

>unclear as to what package manager to use

It only comes with one package manager you utter utter fucking pleb. Go back to windows.

There is no better metric of Linux popularity.

And those page rankings on distrowatch do seem to reflect the current state of the Linux community rather well. Watching Ubuntu slowly tank after the introduction of Unity for example. Fucking hell even Debian is ahead of Ubuntu now.

Watching openSUSE rise from a 2nd rate curiosity into something usable with the leap 42.1 release.