/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XOE07PQcpks
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for diminishing ______!

Sinn watches are sinfully ugly.

Third for Seiko

I don't understand the "micro-engineering" of mecanical/auto watches.

What makes the first move?

I understand that energy is stored in the spring, so that would mean the balance wheel is the first element of the chain of movement.

Or I'm far away. Thing is, the OP vid explain the different parts well, but not how they function together.

The mainspring pushes on the escape wheel and the rest of the drive train. The escapement itself keeps the spring from unwinding all at once, the balance wheel will flip the escapement back and forth to let a measured amount of rotation into the whole system while getting a kick to keep spinning.

There are two springs, one at each end of the chain. The energy is stored in the mainspring that winds out, while the balance spring goes back and forth to keep time.

>I understand that energy is stored in the spring, so that would mean the balance wheel is the first element of the chain of movement.
The video should show you how the energy enters the system via turning the crown and is stored in the mainspring, which is basically at the opposite end if the gear train from the escapement.

RETURNS!

>tfw too intelligent to pay over $350 for a watch

ROSSSIYA STRONK

is this meme still good or is it staleasy? I have a new strap and a dirty keyboard

More of a question on style than mechanics (though I guess that does go into it).

What is Sup Forumswatch's opinion on Nomos?
Specifically their new Neomatik's with their first truly in-house made and designed movement?

I don't pretend to believe that the new auto movement would provide any material benefits as far as time keeping goes, but it's nice that they're not using off the shelf parts, as time tested as those parts may be.

This brand befuddles me. I admire their simplicity, but when I look at them in person I can't help but get bored by them.

Anyone wear a nomos (any type) as their daily wearer for a significant amount of time?

Do you find that it's glued to your wrist or do you more often than not reach for something else in your collection to wear instead of it?

I agree with you. Fantastically boring, very overpriced. I don't know what people see in them.

That strap is pretty ugly tbqh.

How old is your oldest analog quartz watch?

I fucking love them. A Nomos will be my first "nice" watch for sure.

Never had one.

1973 penis quartz

Is it works? Pic?

I'll have to agree with you two. Booooooring as heck

A simple black nato would be better.

Or maybe brown leather.

It works, yes. No recent photo but this is it.

Right here, buddy. Also the earlier posts. But my wrist is 8 inches.

1978 Seiko penis quartz.

Oldest quartz is 2015 but I have a 68 seiko automatic :^)

"B-but 51mm is too big!!!11!" - said the wristlet

>When your sapphire has AR coating

>When your phone can't even focus on your fat wrist.

Don't have a analog quartz... But my oldest watch is from 1940. (a very worn and tattered tutima flieger, similar to picture related... I have tried to take hundreds of pictures with my phone and tablet and they are too blurry to even see that it's a watch) It still works and have been worn regularly since the 50s. The hands have been changed twice, the bottom button have been exchanged to a smaller steel one and the crown is new (from the 1970s). But that is my oldest watch.

It was a Luftwaffe watch that my grandfather got during WW2. I don't know how, he was a doctor in Norway.

Yeah it focused on my hand
>6'1
>180lbs
>Fat
Whatever you say wristlet

Anyone who has larger wrists than an anime loli is considered fat here. If there are 10 year old girls with thicker arms than you then you are a fatty. We have thin and feminine arms here, you brute...

tiny watches for delicate wrists

>6'1
>Not 6'2"

How do you live with yourself knowing you are a fat manlet? Judging by the roasted ham attached to your hand you aren't exactly fit.

Piece of shit Seiko from 1985

>tfw no cute /wt/ trap to fug

Now you are going to get tons of angry manlets after you when they hear you are over 6 ft tall. You are going to be at the wrong end of people suffering from "small man syndrome" or also called "napoleon complex".

Like this barking Chihuahua:

I actually have pretty small hands

1977 penis quartz.
the rest are from the 80s, best quartz era.

That's a very clear crystal
Good job user

Moon watch is overrated, Mars watch is where it's at.

I got an email that their sale is still going on in case anyone else wanted in. Borealis is doing their 15% off until the end of the year as well.

Lol are you trump? Those are some presidential small hands lol

Yeah I did too
It's a hell of a watch for $150. Mine is running at +2s a day so far
They're surgeons hands. I wanted to go into surgery for the better part of a decade but decided I would be happier in pharmacy.

Hey, nice Tudor user!
I..it's a Borealis

Aside from maybe the bezel that looks nothing like a black bay

I'm about to pull the trigger.

Some one talk me out of it. Oh god, stop me please.

And fuck the OP for using such a shitty picture that's invisible on the catalog.

Please buy it and tell me what you think of it. I am very curuious about it and might get one.

It's chinkshit
If you want a diver theres literally thousands of choices
Just in this thread there's at least two completely different ones.
If you're going for a dressed up diver get an Oris Aquis on the bracelet.
Otherwise just get an SKX or turtle because I'm sure you have garbage taste and you're only attracted to shit watches

Was super boring in person. Their worldtimer is okay if you want a worldtimer, but pretty expensive and still boring. Got a Bruno Sohnle for a quarter the price to scratch the Glashutte itch.

Great-grandmother's Election from the 1940s

You're a literal sheep.

Never mind, I can't read.

What watch is that?

And you're a literal retard if you buy chink-shit over the thousands of quality watches out there

Casio GA100

My poor baby. It's okay what other people spend their own hard-earned money on.

>not buying fake Omegas with college loan money

Now that's just a stupid decision.

It's done.

I think I'm going to be sick.

I'll feel better after getting paid next week.

Niiice! Post pics when you can.
To the user who did's credit he didn't know it was fake if i remember correctly.

I hope you didn't pay $425. It's $320 on Taobao.

What is the cheapest fake rolex I can buy online

does it have to say ROLEX?

Wristlet...

I kind of want to change the ceramic bezel insert on my steinhart, but I want to do it without breaking the insert.

Depends on the model. Try looking up noobfactory. There are also a number of slightly worse reps out there. And then there is canal street shit.

Going to make a simple watch strap and try out some colouring options. Will report back.

What watch would you expect a stock broker to wear? Autistic question, I know. but fucking going with it

Cartier Santos.

Anything basic and uninspired from a sub or gmt to a nautilus.

lol probably not worth posting here, but I got this $15 watch for a test where I'm not allowed anything but a analog watch.

In b4 should have gotten a Rolex.

And the case, dial, markers and color.
The only difference is the shape of the hands.

>13-24 scale bigger than 1-12
Why

i collect watches.

started when i was a kid and recieved them as gifts.

i got a batman forever watch, the burgerking jurassic park one, a zelda one, 3 nixons, a few fossils, one casio, and some other ones. my most expensive are the nixons.

heres one im looking at.
youtube.com/watch?v=XOE07PQcpks

I'm in Japan, most things including test times are in 24h

also looking for one with the flat earth model

this officially is a worse meme than Steinshit.......................

the watch objectively looks fucking awful and is $30~ less than a legit skx

What'd you say, buddy?

yo, is everyone here a fatass fatass?

I'm in a country that only uses 24h. Having 13-24 before 1-12 is just retarded.

it's just a design cue from flieger design imo, instead of minutes you have hours

Yeah, buddy.

LIGHTWEIGHT BABY

Good for you, buddy.

what kind of test?

HIV

I get the reference

friendly reminder that christopher ward's logo looks like it spells out "COWARD" at first glance to normies whove never seen the brand before

how to get for 150$? it shows as 249 for me

pls respond ive been wanting a skx007 with 4r35 for a long time at a reasonable price

he was sick to begin with

you probably put him on suicide watch

Go to checkout and there's a place to enter promo code cyber.

merci beaucoup

Need some help bros.

There is a limited edition seiko that is JDM only. Is all black. Has a white date window. Kinda fleiger style. It was a collaboration with a Japanese fashion designer. I'm looking for this watch to give as a gift. Saw it one here a while ago and can't find it anywhere.

Will appreciate a link so much!

Can anyone recommend a good cheap quartz. Something analog, 80s. Less than 60$ if possible.
Just want to get myself a christmas present. Inb4 poorfag

I know, but taobao is in moonrunes and you need to find a middleman who will also charge you for their service. Too complicated for me to deal with plus there's no way communicate with the seller if shit hit's the fan or if they rip you off.

Why does the chapter ring seem misaligned?

But it's supposed to be the other way around.

Timex weekender.
It ticks quite loudly though.

Because it's a very accurate ripoff of a Seiko design.