Why can't most Linux users handle a real distro?

I see lots of screenfetches on Sup Forums where losers have as little as 600 packages installed. What's the problem... are you incapable of maintaining a complex, 2000 plus package system?

Did you know that the amount of packages installed is directly proportional to the size of your penis and brain?

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/questions/5725296/difference-between-sh-and-bash
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

3000+ here

no it's inversely proportional
op = retard

>189 Packages

what is that, a Tiger LCD Bowling game?

I want reddit to leave

2631 here
i install everything i need or even want to use as long as it's in the repos
package count is just a epeen currency for poor niggers

This type of minimal effort bait thread is 100% Sup Forums

i think a lot of it is "real distro" guys end up reinstalling or switching distros before they accumulate software

I personally have almost 3k packages and some days I'm bored I just download tons of shitty games from software store for no reason, it doesn't make my computer slower or less powerful if I have some shitty open source Galaga clone installed for instance

I never realized why autists bothered so much. How will a bunch of 100kb packages affect any performance on i7+ssd+8gb ram

7815 packages here. My system is fast and responsive.

Stop with low-quality posts.

You're not part of the cool kids club unless you have
- less than 1000 packages installed
- 1366x768 resolution maximum
- i3 or dwm window manager
- 60% mechanical keyboard imported from Taiwan with custom lubed o-rings and /fa/ggot colored Miami keycaps
- knee socks
- never do anything actually useful with your computer

t. /u/spez

So, you're the redditor?

meh.

>less than 1000

nice grammer there, moran.

pics or it didnt happen

My bad. It's just 6241.
$ aptitude search '?installed' |wc -l

Debian unstable, installation is about 6 years old, used daily.

>1366x768 resolution maximum

Is this a real thing linux user aim for? I noticed the majority of Linux screenshots seem to always be 1366x768

>aptitude search '?installed' |wc -l
dpkg -l | grep ii | wc -l

Cheap laptops

Inaccurate results.

>Is this a real thing linux user aim for? I
No, just Sup Forums hipsters with 20 year old ThinkPads and $300 mechanical keyboards.

Let's evolve
dpkg -l | grep ^ii -c
emerge -pve world
pacman -Q | wc -l
rpm -qa | grep -F . | wc -l

Last time I used Linux I couldn't copy a file I wanted somewhere else in Dolphin FM or terminal.
cp ~/Downloads/cancer.file ~/Desktop/
Wasn't working.

~1600 here, I don't need more but I don't really have any problems using my disk space if I want to install some new software.

$ dpkg -l |grep '^[^i].*ii'
rc libgii1 1:1.0.2-4.1 amd64 General Input Interface runtime libraries
rc tintii 2.9.0-2 amd64 photo filter for easy color effects

This is correct:
>dpkg -l | grep ^ii -c

OP here, nice. also ty for the gtkorphan shot, installed and had 15 orphaned packages so my penis just shrunk a little

muh pacgraph

okay makes sense, thanks.

your emerge solution is shit

eix -Ic

I don't really care how many packages I have installed, I simply don't install shit I don't use. Don't know where that puts me on Sup Forums scale.

>Gentoo
>ancient Linux kernel

>muh packages

>not using 2016 packages for the ultimate 2016 experience

You forgot "less than 2 GB of ram" and "aesthetic zsh $PS1"

Got everything except for the mechanical keyboard and not doing anything useful.

Wait. also do knee wraps count as knee socks?

"minimal" distros like arch and gentoo package everything into as few packages as possible.
That means that installing a library also installs it's dev headers and debug symbols and documentation and other shit you didn't need.

That's why a debian default installation will have 2000+ packages, because everything is kept separate, installed only when you need it.
It's real minimalism.

in 30 days you need to install "Burgerspace"

install what you need, remove what you don't

virtualbox and qemu?
plasma and gnome panel?

i planned on installing cowsay really. Burgerspace has 3 additional packages as dependencies.

>3015 on my desktop
>89 on my box

ayyy lmao

>more=better

more relevant: number of explicitly installed packages
% pacman -Qe | wc -l

was meant for

>I see lots of screenfetches on Sup Forums where losers have as little as 600 packages installed.
Here's a secret for you... 99% of Linux screenshots are from people who run it in a VM. They also don't run it for a long time and just experiment with it. Most of the people here don't even use Linux as their main OS. That's why people have so few packages installed.

ps: yes. Linux is a meme.

>mfw arch devs don't split packages into -dev or -devel, for bonus screenfetch points in Sup Forums threads.

>why a debian default installation will have 2000+ packages
see I managed to do it with less than 1000

Of course with no window manager.

>bash

i don't think you know what you're talking about

A minimal Debian installation is smaller than a minimal Arch installation.

debian has 2000+ packages because most default DE metapackages include shiittones of shit. Gnome : every "bloat" gnome-something package, 12 gnome-games, gimp, inkscape (inkscape has alot of dependencies too), libreoffice, firefox with a iceweasel>firefox dummy package, polari, gnome dictionary ,mutt, bsd-mail utils, etc etd.
If you would just install core packages from an base debian install you would still have more packages installed than on arch because arch does less splitting. Nothing wrong with any of this in any way though.

>If you would just install core packages from an base debian install you would still have more packages installed than on arch because arch does less splitting
The base Debian packages take up less space than the base Arch packages.

Well i did not mention "space" because the guy asked about the "number of packages". And yes it does because arch doesnt split -dev packages, and those take some space.

Why do you guys have so few packages? Do you not use your computers? Is your the repository of your distro dead?

>master of ls and cd.
>bash no longer hipster enough.
tips_fedora.jpg

Only need a browser to shitpost, m8

>i need a great shell to write "apt-get install/update/dist-upgrade/purge/autoremove" and sudo nano /some/file into
most people would do the same with

did you start splitting packages into files kevin?

>23728 packages

wow did you download all packages in the solus repo?

script screenfetch.log
screenfetch
exit
vim screenfetch.log
alias screenfetch="more screenfetch.log"

Why does it matter how many packages you have, it's never been a problem maintaining 300 or 3000. /Thread

Less than is correct.

Where do packages come from. Like, when you install a distro, and download packages, where are they coming from? Some central place or what?

A server in the NSAs basement

?

>Packages: 2173

Look at the smallest benis in this thread sempai~
also
> I see lots of screenfetches on Sup Forums where losers have as little as 600 packages installed
Don't be this retarded please. I can package fucking krita with all deps into one package, or split every library into separate, depending on purpose.
Number of packages literally describes how unixway-ish OS is, not it's complexity desu.

dude stop ruining my end game

check - less than 1000 packages installed
check - 1366x768 resolution maximum
- i3 or dwm window manager
- 60% mechanical keyboard imported from Taiwan with custom lubed o-rings and /fa/ggot colored Miami keycaps
- knee socks
check - never do anything actually useful with your computer

Woa! This is so bleeding arsehole.

Probably a source-based distro. Some things, like programming languages, have many features that aren't needed. On binary distros, they are split in multiple packages, in source distros, they are enabled with flags. That's why Debian-based distros have 1000+ packages on a minimal install.

>1366x768

Did you just
apt-get install \*

or something?

1200 packages here... bash isnt cool anymore? zsh is the best? (yeah, I dont post my screenfetch

Well fuck me.

One week ago I did a fresh install of Mint.
I only put the BARE MINIMUM for programming on it and it's already 2400+ packages..

>solus
>apt-get

kek

only sh is cool now.

stackoverflow.com/questions/5725296/difference-between-sh-and-bash

some ppl lied to me... should have googled/baidu/duckduckgo more

(Thx anyway...)

This is gr8 b8

What 2 packages am I missing?

the ones he uses(tm)

I honestly thought it'd be higher. I've been on this install for 2 years now and I do everything from it, yet I had to install 7 more packages just to take this screenshot.

tfw below average
>inb4 kevinnet

Acer poorfag reporting in, do I win?

r8 me

duuude binaries sitting on my hard drive are major BLOAT! it's like you don't understand computers and can't install arch or even fizzbuzz like myself

Yeah, what of them

gay/gay

that 2015 rMBP is the best computer apple ever made.. which means it's the best laptop in existence.

Joining the bandwagon

1600 packages on my main machine, i must be faggot

Enjoy your bloat.