Daily Reminder:

Daily Reminder:
This turd still will be working in lots of computers in the world.
Seriously: Move to wayland.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/SirCmpwn/sway
twitter.com/AnonBabble

there is literally nothing wrong with X
if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Nah, nothing wrong, just is awfully broken.

soon

>if it ain't broke
heh

WHERE THE FUCK IS WAYLAND I'VE BEEN WAITING FOREVER

If it actually *worked* I would

waiting for an equivalent to openbox+tint2

so just a menu and panel skin? make it yourself

why would you want to go DEless anyway that's just masochistic

Why is everything in Linux a server, even the display? You have to start a local X server and then connect to it just to have a GUI? I guess it's as if Windows started a Remote Desktop instance on 127.0.0.1 and then connected to it (all video being moved through the TCP/IP stack). No wonder performance would be horrible. If that's not the case, then please explain why it's an X _server_ (because it sounds as it worked just as described).

does the job, being using this combination for several years

But a WM also requires X, doesn't it.

>there is literally nothing wrong with X
There is plenty wrong with X. Question is will Wayland actually fix it al.

yes, it's a server, but local programs talk to X via a unix socket, not through the network stack

systemd already showed an example how "fixing" something imperfect with an abomination looks like.

I already did

Wayland is still far too buggy to be considered usable. I will wait until xwayland doesn't produce a black sphere of nothingness until the window content is properly loaded. Doesn't help that qt is still far behind with wayland integration and has many things wrong gtk got right months ago.

Spoiler: Linux is a server OS.

please be a cute one

Are there well working tiling compositors (with decent, configurable multi-monitor support)? I'm using xmonad now, I would switch though.

Linus disagrees

>Move to wayland.
works choppy
>masochistic
man patch
plus moar freedom

Windows is a marketing os

But systemd tried to do more than other init systems. Wayland tries to do less than X.

roll

cant switch to wayland yet, nvidia is pouting

github.com/SirCmpwn/sway

>Hey, Linus, what are you doing?
>Copying a multi-user server OS
>Oh, so you're making a server OS?
>NO!

wayland is slower than x.

unix is not a desktop os. get over it faggots.

What does Wayland even bring to the table? I could give a fuck about bloat or idealist masturbation.

How do I move to Wayland in Debian?

To be fair, neither is NT.

roll

Nobody fucking cares

congrats ascending beyond memes

>if it ain't broke, don't fix it
Which implies that if it is broke, then fix it.
Now you see why we need to move to Wayland.

>but local programs talk to X via a unix socket, not through the network stack
Nice contradiction there.

long live x

i want something better than xorg. wayland and mir are not the answer.

wayland trades freedom for security

GNOME under Wayland is fine. Most applications still only work through xwayland though: Qt apps, Steam, games etc. Well, everything except GNOME apps and mpv, which has weird quirks (no window decorations or black bars for the fullscreen) because GNOME devs refuse to implement server-side decorations.

What freedom are you losing by using Wayland exactly?

X is more widespread, that's all.

When you write an X application it runs with Windows NT, Mac OS X, macOS, BSD and Linux.

That equals to more freedom.

half of the things not related to window management have to go through the compositor. you can't have compositor/wm-independent alternatives to utilities like "xmodmap", "scrot", remote desktop servers.

if you ask the wayland devs they answer "muh security" or "that's not wayland's problem".

wayland is essentially a mobile os windowing system being sold as a silver bullet for desktop and laptops

>GNOME devs refuse to implement server-side decorations

This fact alone would be a sufficient reason to tell GNOME to fuck off and abandon it completely. Client side decorations are pure cancer.

You know what runs on more computers?

Microsoft Windows, and that doesn't even need X to be everywhere. If just the sheer spread is what you want you might as well give up on Linux entirely.

>Daily Reminder
fuck off

Yeah, I was sort of apologetic in this post but that sort of decision is completely bullshit. Apparently every Wayland application under GNOME would have to be a gtk application or be broken.

I know. Most drug dealers, the saviours of our all freedom, use Windows OS.

That's not really true though, NT was designed from the ground up as a primarily desktop/workstation platform with an inseparably integrated graphical interface and had "workstation" versions from the start.

They didn't even have any sort of terminal services facilities until Microsoft jacked some code from Citrix for a special version of NT 4.

Cue the kernel-level scrollbar handling code.