How long until desktops become obsolete?

Having all your stuff on one computer you can take with you anywhere is just a hell of a lot more convenient. When you're at home you can just dock it and use it as normal and external GPU technology is quickly becoming better and cheaper.

The only downside to this is cost and the fact that pretty much every high end laptop released this year has been ass in one way or another, but how many years will it take until laptops replace desktops?

IiteraIIy impossibIe.

There wiII aIways be demand for superior power and cooIing.

When people say things like that they don't mean that there will be not a single desktop computer.

How many microcomputers do you see now? There's a few people who use Pis and Beagles as hobby machines, but they're not exactly a considerably large market worth considering as anything other than a minority.

I'm going to develop the first laptop/desktop combo.
Imagine your desktop computer. You've got a 256gb SSD boot drive, and then your archival HDDs. You've got your CPU, GPU, fans, monitor, mouse and keyboard, everything that makes a desktop a desktop. But then, when you get ready to head out, you teach over to the "tower" and you pop your laptop out of the top of the case. It contains the boot SSD, and everything else about it is a laptop. Light and portable. You can take it with you, use it throughout the day, then when you get back home, you pop it back into the computer case. The laptop powers down, its CPU and whatnot no longer necessary, and the desktop case's PSU powers the SSD and recharges the laptop battery. Now, you've got all your files you might have added or changed throughout the day right there. No need to transfer anything over from one unit to the other. You could even have a tiny little drive in the case that comes on with an os on it, so you could still be able to use the desktop and laptop separately if you wanted to. You could use the desktop as a seedbox during the day, or an FTP server so you could access files on the archival drives from your laptop if you were at work and needed something you forgot.
I think I might be an genius.

modular, expandable systems will always be useful in niche roles, particularly those that require non-standard interfaces/accelerators/etc as well as those that require lots of storage devices or other peripherals

powerful systems will always be useful in other niche roles for obvious reasons

not having to design systems to thermally fucked laptop standards makes for cheaper and more modular hardware for those that need either

why is the Sup Forums collective so seemingly excited about the idea of tech becoming even more of a shitty lowest common denominator pander-fest than it already is?

like it's incredible, it seems a lot of people on this board try to act like they're driven by practicality while simultaneously so many on here are jerking off to a future dominated by SaaS and less functional, boring devices that sacrifice additional functionality in the name of minimalism or showing off

Any laptop you walk out of a store with today is perfectly capable of replacing a desktop for a large number of people.

Even my PC is probably below a lot of new laptops.

I swapped my tower for a small barebones with a Celeron. It just slots on the VESA screws of my monitor. It's great because it's passively cooled so it's totally silent with an SSD in it.

A load of things we used to need cards for have made their way on to the CPU, so it just didn't make much sense when I don't play games or have any requirements of it that needed extra cards.

I think you under-estimate just how cool a lot of processors run now.

>He doesn't have his own cloud storage

>When people say things like that they don't mean that there will be not a single desktop computer.
They should lern2engrish, then.

>desktops
I don't know user, universities seem to use desktop towers all the time.

Not for as long as there is hardcore gaming. Laptops are nice but lag behind really quickly and are not upgradable. And when something breaks you literally have to replace the entire machine (most things are soldered).

>Having all your stuff on one computer you can take with you anywhere is just a hell of a lot more convenient.

1. I can't have all my stuff on one computer because there's not enough space. Cloud is not "one computer" anymore, it's a shitty service that you have to pay for monthly like a cuck, which costs more in the long term than buying external HDD's in bundles to stuff in a personal HDD encasing, and which opens up even more connectivity problems such as requiring Internet access, possible hacking on the shitty service, the shitty service doing maintenance, the Internet connection being fucky, and other plethora of stupid shit.

2. All my stuff won't work on that shitty laptop because it's that, a laptop. A perpetually underpowered device which serves as a portable backup for work, studies, Internet browsing, and basic media viewing; yet which fails and isn't designed for power-user tasks.

3. That shitty laptop is not more convenient because now i have to think about battery, i have to think about the shitty cooling of that airtight compact shitpile, i have to think about the shitty cable and whether its constant plugging and unplugging will fuck up the connectors, whether the shitty cable itself is going to overheat, whether the battery is gonna get fucked soon because craptops don't have complicated components like PSU's taking care of stability, current, etc., i have to think about security, i have to think about it being secure on myself from being stolen.

4. That shitty laptop is useless for chem, physics, and anything requiring sketches, because a keyboard is gonna take 2000 years to write up a single equation even with the best programs compared to free-hand writing, even with the shittiest simple redox reaction being written up.

When i go outside, i go with the intention to socialize, work, study, or have some fun that doesn't involve technology.
That's where the tablet or e-reader come in.
Laptops eat horse shit.

>why is the Sup Forums collective so seemingly excited about the idea of tech becoming even more of a shitty lowest common denominator pander-fest than it already is?

Because tech is becoming more and more powerful and in a smaller and smaller package that the "lowest common denominator" is going to fit into a bigger and bigger part of the user base. And there's nothing that says laptops can't be functional or modular, it's just a conscious choice made by companies who are copying Apples every move.

>2. All my stuff won't work on that shitty laptop because it's that, a laptop. A perpetually underpowered device which serves as a portable backup for work, studies, Internet browsing, and basic media viewing; yet which fails and isn't designed for power-user tasks.

What kind of power user tasks do you do that can't be done on a decked out Macbook Pro, Razer Blade, Dell XPS 15 or Surface Book?

>4. That shitty laptop is useless for chem, physics, and anything requiring sketches, because a keyboard is gonna take 2000 years to write up a single equation even with the best programs compared to free-hand writing, even with the shittiest simple redox reaction being written up.

...you do know that touch screens and styluses exists, right?

>What kind of power user tasks do you do that can't be done on a decked out Macbook Pro, Razer Blade, Dell XPS 15 or Surface Book?

Any task that requires something with actual cooling which won't go into throttle mode and which won't have the battery die in 5 minutes without being constantly plugged into a wall,
which is the kind of power drain which incidentally massively reduces the life of the laptop and initiates throttling after a certain period.
Even basic rendering is shit on a craptop, let alone gayming.

>...you do know that touch screens and styluses exists, right?
You do know how to read the next sentence, right?
Or are you that butthurt that you just couldn't help yourself but to jump onto the keyboard without finishing reading someone's post?

>all your stuff on one computer you can take with you
that can get lost
that you can drop and break
that can get stolen
and then all your stuff is gone
no thanks

>it's just a conscious choice made by companies
Companies are actually utilizing mainframes more which use nice energy-efficient CPU's to sent emulation instances to employee monitors,
which saves not only on worthless hardware that you would be spending on when supplying individual units to employees, but also helps security and keeps track of what the fuck they are doing.

So no.

Also bigger power with smaller transistors happens when you apply a larger quantity of smaller transistors into the same traditional container.
You don't get equal power by shrinking the container along with the transistors you numbnuts.

Just because you're too dumb to take backups doesn't mean the rest of us are

That's like saying that hammers make saws obsolete.
Unless you can create a laptop that can run 24/7 for a decade without every needing to be charged, while being upgradable,
which can be set up with a cooling system like a desktop, and which has at least 20 input/output ports, you are mixing apples and oranges.

Even in the worst case scenario, desktops will be mainframes that operate the "smart" systems of the house/apartment. The kind of computer that needs to be "on" 24/7.
Even spaceships will certainly be run by desktops.
The only way they become obsolete is if you become a homeless hobo.

As far as laptops going obsolete goes however...
A wrist device which has holoprojection capabilities hooked to computer components that are comfily hidden and worn on a person in a bag, with free choice in regards to how many batteries you want hooked besides that, would make laptops cease to exist a week after the announcement.

4k gaming laptops when? Honestly though I have a laptop from like 2011 and I hate using laptops now. I desperately want a desktop desu not even specifically for graphical improvements just in general I'd rather have a stationary machine. plus the system separate from the monitor & keyboard.

I used to hate laptops because they were overpriced and not powerful enough.
I bought an Acer for around 1100$ a year ago and I have to say it's my best buy so far.
although I still can't replace my desktop where I have 6 drives 2 optical drives a decent gpu and a great monitor.
Some things you just need a desktop for.