How old were you when you grew out of the whole GNU/Linux meme?

How old were you when you grew out of the whole GNU/Linux meme?

For me it was when I first got a job in IT and learned how the real world works.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
google.com/patents/USD504889
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Obvious b8

>> how old were you when you grew out of the whole cooking with great tools meme
>>For me it was when I got a job at McDonald's

>install Linux

>girlfriend wants to watch Netflix
>doesn't work

>want to play vidya with my bro
>NO GAMES

>have to write documents in Word
>there is no Word on Linux

That's when I realized that Linux is shit.

when they banned desktop threads
now i have no reason to use linux

M8 this is the new desktop thread

i hereby pledge to never post anything of any more substance than memes, garbage 'in jokes', pictures of underage anime girls, and my same looking desktops over and over to the end of time

I installed Ubuntu on an old laptop and dual-boot on my desktop when I was in high school, about 10 years ago.
Could not get dual monitors to work in a satisfactory way on the desktop. Had a real fun time compiling ndiswrapper to work with the wifi card on the laptop.
It was a fun experiment but I switched right back to Windows because I couldn't play any fucking games on the thing.
And this was before Steam was a big deal.

everything you described werks on linux.

new desktop thread? ツ

Oh yeah after I figured out after 2 hours of googling how to open a command prompt and then had to spend 4 more hours trying to install office and then it still didn't work.

same

>what is libre office
>what is wine
>what is playonlinux

linux doesn't protect you from being mentally challenged.

>t. Tyrone

tfw you realize the fact that in the prison, child molesters got the biggest bbc in their shithole.

Leenix is better for dev, but using it for gaming or anything else is delusional faggotry

23. I was a rebellious young man who was taking astronomy classes at a community college who just discovered God wasn't real.

You never did in the first place so

Hey Akari, wanna get married?

probably going to get a macabook so i can dream in code -

so many autists at my job bought into the macbook meme and now get so confused why it starts overheating when running a singlethreaded java program

wont be issue

>muh eclipse have memory leaks
>i can't werk on windows with eclipse
>wut is loonix?
>mbp have moar memory so i can work for 8 hours without REBOOT

I heard this shit from an android app developer. He also teaches android development.

PC Is for work. Console is for games.

Netflix works natively in chrome on Linux, and it works natively on Firefox as long as you change your user agent to say windows (because Netflix is dumb). Also if you want word you can either use libreoffice, google docs, or office online. Although if you had even bothered trying looking any of this up you probably would have found this out, so you are probably a microsoft shill.

The alternative to macbook was a Dell with a better processor, twice as much memory, and Windows or whatever Linux distro you wanted, I dont get what kind of retardation would make anyone choose muh apple facebook machine

the Windows faggots are even worse though because they can't accomplish fucking anything without a GUI

I was amazed as he has the balls to advertize his paid course at a oss related conference.

>bragging about your keyboard skills on a chinese handwritten scrolls collection forum
>autism
pick both

>normalfags

>Oh yeah after I figured out after 2 hours of googling how to open a command prompt

>not free
>not free
>not free

I have a shit job but still like Loonix

>Loonix
What is that?

>doesn't work
This is false but i guess your try is worthy because a lot of people in this board barely research whatever they read.

>NO GAMES
The no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos

>there is no Word on Linux
The claim itself is partially true however you're ignoring that it can be installed on wine and that there's a lot of alternatives. I think rewarding anti-competitive practices is a bad idea precisely for this reason, microsoft has an still reasonably strong lock-in regarding their office formats but this also means that you could be locked-out from your documents at some point. I think the ones who has grasped this are different governments around the world, that's why some of them are trying to implement open and well documented formats as a requirement.

Fortunately we have both PDF and cloud solutions if someone needs to share a document.

post anime grill pic?

Install chrome, download netflix icon, cp chrome.desktop netflix.desktop, change icon and exec to chrome --app="netflix.com"

>want to play vidya with my bro
install steam, install game OR
install playonlinux, install game OR
go to website, install game

install playonlinux, install word OR
install kile, vim or emacs, write latex

The game thing might not work, but if you play a lot of games, why not just dualboot?
The popularity status of games changes a lot.

that was fast

OK now give me a guide on how to keep all my programs and the system updated on windows from a single place while keeping it slim, or how to change my system font, or how to have tabbed browsing on the file browser, or how to change my system and icon themes without touching system files, or how i can protect myself from microsoft's wide usage terms without doubt that i'm not sending any private info i don't want to share with microsoft.

He lurks here 24/7

>I'm Rashid, web developer pajeet codemonkey, I have every microsoft certification. I work in IT.

(。>﹏

tits or gtfo

>How old were you when you grew out of the whole GNU/Linux meme?
About a year after I learned what it even was, and I didn't have an extra machine to try it on. So... 6th grade?

Almost went back in college, but I realized the GPL doesn't protect devs, so I decided from that day forth, I would set my future OS dev goals for straight UNIX, and BSD will most likely be my next PC OS.

OSS is fine, because that's the decision of the developer. GPL is not, because any sub-devs who write original code on top cannot guarantee profit from it or even perform quality control.

Fucking commie bastards.
Linux was always a mistake. Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if BSD took off instead and became the biggest Web Server OS and one of the more common desktop OS's. Imagine if all the OSS and Proprietary devs could focus on one similar range of systems, rather than faggitz trying to be edgy Red bastards.
UNIX may have already supplanted Windows by having a whole community of professional developers who are not pushed away by the fact they have no guaranteed food on their table.

CAPTCHA: Commerce

Pc is for everything retard

BSD would have even more forks and MS would make an EEE if the things get wild they would make a proprietary fork too with killer apis.

> sub-devs
The fuck is that? If the original decided to use GPL then use GPL too if you want contribute. No one force you to contribute to anything.

False equivolancy. All that shit is useless in the real world. Only losers care about making their desktop look "1337".

>UNIX may have already supplanted Windows by having a whole community of professional developers who are not pushed away by the fact they have no guaranteed food on their table.

At that time I started valuing functionality more than Sup Forums-cred and stopped giving a fuck about the appearance of the GUI.

>Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if BSD took off instead and became the biggest Web Server OS and one of the more common desktop OS's.
Nothing much probably, People would still use Windows / OSX, and BSD would probably end up as a paid router/supercomputer system, while everything else (web servers, etc) would run on windows.
>Imagine if all the OSS and Proprietary devs could focus on one similar range of systems, rather than faggitz trying to be edgy Red bastards.
Imagine all the big income $$$ companies like microsoft/google/apple/etc actually using this money to make bug-free dependent software, instead of making "open sores is bad for business" and "im a mac and im a peeC" etc meme campaigns.

When I realized it birthed from a communist ideal.

>appearance
that's the same age you begun to smoke and stop washing and brushing your theet?

>Can you help me to use the geet, they do not teach me this at Pooinloo University

>you have to be forced to share the source code
it's their private property and there is a legal license the owner of the software put, you must follow those rules, anarcho capitalism is the best

>anarcho capitalism
This meme

Never. I use Debian as my main OS. It's free and stable. Too bad you can't handle an adult OS, OP.

Netflix works great in Firefox on Debian. Games are for children, but if you want to be a manchild you should get a Playstation 4. Google docs is better than word and costs nothing. It's also universal. All you need is a browser. Sheets and Slides are just as good as Excel and Powerpoint. Both of those are also free and universal.

>>sub-devs
>The fuck is that?
Sorry, IDK what you'd call it.
I meant people who wrote their own modifications or additions to the software, or that require the use of underlying Linux stuff.
In other words, I wouldn't mind using it if something like the following were true:
>Linus and his gang of commies wrote 10 million lines of code
>Use GPL
>I use 9.8M of their lines, but replace 200k, and then add on 5M of my own
I am ONLY required to source those 9.8M that I did NOT write (or the full, original code), but those 5M new ones AND those 200K I modified can be closed-source.

THAT would NOT be a problem. However, unless I misunderstood, Those 200K modified lines can NOT be licensed under anything but the GPL.
And, if the 5M integrate into that, I'm pretty sure that can't be NON-GPL either.

Now, do correct me if I'm wrong.
Because those 5.2M lines belong to ME, and I should be able to decide what I wanna do with them.

BSD vs GPL wars should stop. What license is used is the main developer's choice, BSD is the way to go if you wanna literally give the software or sell it, GPL is the way to go if you want the software to stay protected and developed by community. Sure both licenses will get some support if they are widely used, but GPL somehow enforces people to give into the project or get the fuck out (fork it), but both ways it stays available for everyone to fiddle with.

Also i wonder how protected are software ideas released under BSD/MIT license? Can someone patent shit apple style and force you to pay up?

I just got bored of some of the bullshit problems and the autism community after a few years and went back to using Windows.

IDK about MIT license, but if it's BSD, you can take whatever you want, AND make it proprietary.

So, I'm not sure what you're asking, because you ALREADY stated you know Apple used BSD software.
Mac OSX is "mixed-source"

>I am ONLY required to source those 9.8M that I did NOT write (or the full, original code), but those 5M new ones AND those 200K I modified can be closed-source.
That's MPL, but it's not like you can't use proprietary code in Linux so Linus and "his gang of commies" don't take GPL too seriously.
>And, if the 5M integrate into that, I'm pretty sure that can't be NON-GPL either.
That's GPLv2 issue as GPLv3 let you use mixed licenses if it's compatible.

Well people state that BSD is the good license to give away code etc, but if it doesn't protect ideas in the code from being patented than you can get literally cucked by apple (for example because its an popular one in tech world). That's why I'm asking.
Also i MENTIONED "apple style" as in patenting stupid shit like round edges and forcing people to pay up or something, not as in apple making bsd-based software, since i know they can literally take code and make it proprietary, and no one will judge them. I just wonder if patenting can backfire at an BSD licensed project.

Oh, hmmm.

I don't think they can copyright anything that isn't original to them. There is some kind of limit on that, in that it has to be something no one has had access to, yey. They could not fuck you by taking BSD code, because that doesn't belong to Apple.

Never heard of round edges being copyrighted or patented, though

Sorry, left out a part in:
I'm not 100% sure how to interpret the MPL. I'd have to look at it again.
It said THEIR source files must be sourced, but also modified files...

That's what I'm talking about. ORIGINAL files must be sourced, but NOT modified ones. But, like, if you USE an original, you must only source the original.
Technically, all 10M of those lines are closed source, BUT the 9.8M unmodified would be sourced by sourcing the ORIGINAL 10M.

So, by doing this, you can protect all 10M, but only 200K are actually different.
That's what I'm saying you should be able to do.
2% of the code is yours, so you source 100% of the original code, but 0% of your own.

Not him but the no games argument is still true. Windows is the best OS for gaming mostly due to DirectX being better than garbage Khronos puts out, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for console to Windows to won't affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the Linux marketshare is small compared to Windows due to garbage like OpenGL/OpenAL, unstable ABIs and horrible audio stack.

The fact though is that the situation on Linux is still the same as decade ago, it's unstable trash and now those who prefer Linux still have nogames, keeping the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for Linux to compete in the gaming side. You can beg like bunch of entitled chidren on Steam forums spamming epic "no tux = no bux"

I notice some people want Linux to happen but let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the Linux? Because I consider that software freedom to be meme of autistic unemployed neckbeards not contributing any meaningful way to technology.

google.com/patents/USD504889
They tried to sue people (or Samsung i believe) because some of the "rounded-off-rectangle"-shaped tablets were rounded too similarly to their design.

Nothing stops you from using both. Unless you're some communist GPL faggot that wants to restrict a programmer's choice of changing licenses or allowing others to do what they want to do with your code.

BSD for life. Linux a shit.

Vulkan is not terrible, it helped my i5 4670 / gtx 760 combo maintain a cool temperature while playing dota2 with an 120fps limit.
I always told people it will really not improve game fps but help games optimize the gpu/cpu usage, which it is exactly doing.
Linux has "nogames" purely due to not having enough users though. Indie devs have no problem releasing better linux versions of games than big AAA companies porting games to linux (looking at Deus Ex:MD here for example).

Also the main problem is that no one can really say that games are being released for Linux,
if they are released for the Ubuntu 12.04 runtime that steam uses (except maybe GoG games).

People want "Linux to happen" so they can rely on real Linux-native tools, not stupid ports of windows programs.

That wont happen thanks to games, since most gamers just want to play games and not touch system configuration at all,
i know people who cannot configure their expensive gaming headsets properly even though they spend 80% of their computer time using teamspeak.
And if you make a linux-based OS idiot-proof like that it wont be a Linux distro anymore,
since it will probably have a macOS/OSX like tier user control.

Last time I tried doing Netflix on Linux I had to do this whole Microsoft Silverlight shit and it was a miserable infuriating experience.

>Install chrome, download netflix icon, cp chrome.desktop netflix.desktop, change icon and exec to chrome --app="netflix.com"
I didn't understand any of that beyond install Chrome. Why use terminology like that for obvious noobs?

he literally meant to show you that netflix works perfectly on chrome. And then told you how to "emulate" a "netflix app" by copying the default chrome shortcut (or the .desktop file which works as a link to an application in menus) , changing its icon and name to a netflix one and making it run the netflix site by default in the chromes "app" mode that hides the default chrome gui.
it looks like pic related
Sorry you cannot understand a windows-tier terminology

Vulkan dev tools are total shit.

victoria 2 works on linux
that's all i need

That is possible, i only know the end user side.
Still this does not change the fact that most unknown indie games and some good ports (amnesia for example), and most old forggoten games like quake4, doom3 work really well on linux compared to new "steam-ports" or steam games/ubuntu ports, as I've recently taken to calling them, even if the main configuration is messed up because linux uses pulseaudio by default now or something.
What i mean is if the devs release a game with Linux support in mind ,its usually ok, and if someone dedicates resources to making a good linux port it is ok too, but if valve forces some devs to release a halfassed port for steam os so they can put a "steam os has XXX game now" ad, we end with games like witcher 2 or deus ex md, which wont bring steamos/linux new users, just scare people away with bad benchmarks.