TV as a monitor

Earlier today, I bought a 50" 4K TV and will use it as my main monitor.

Am I crazy or a genius?

Leave your thoughts below.

Other urls found in this thread:

displaylag.com/display-database/
rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best
ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best
youtube.com/watch?v=lMhJWGekZDU
youtube.com/watch?v=BwS0fftQAFc
slickdeals.net/f/9404931-40-samsung-un40ku6290-4k-hdr-uhd-smart-led-hdtv-255-40-samsung-un40ku6300-4k-uhd-smart-led-hdtv-298-free-shipping-free-store-pickup-hhgregg?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

enjoy your frames faggot

It's possible, but generally only the more expensive models have all the features you need such as 4:4:4 chroma and a proper input mode for lower latency. Hope you did your research fag.

Just remember to get up and look away from the screen at regular intervals. Stay safe.

enjoy your input lag faggot

>enjoy your frames faggot
60fps

>It's possible, but generally only the more expensive models have all the features you need such as 4:4:4 chroma and a proper input mode for lower latency. Hope you did your research fag.
mine does have 4:4:4... just set it up. went into game mode and set it up.

>enjoy your input lag faggot
it's around 19ms.

after an hour with this thing, I'd never go back to 27". the amount of extra space is intense!

I have the 43' version. I'm laughing at all the morons who buy these $700 gaymen monitors that's aren't even 4k and have TN panels. I had no issue going from my 21.5in 5ms to it. Smartest purchase I've ever done.

>I have the 43' version. I'm laughing at all the morons who buy these $700 gaymen monitors that's aren't even 4k and have TN panels. I had no issue going from my 21.5in 5ms to it. Smartest purchase I've ever done.
Did you get a Samsung KU6300 series? Thats what I picked up.

Holy shit user... it's like nothing I've ever experienced before. The amount of text I can fit on my screen is immense!

How long did it take you to adjust your workflow and adjust mentally to such a big screen???

>it's around 19ms.

How do you resist suicidal tendencies?

How far away are you sittibg from the monitor?

Can you actually output 4k or does your rig only do 1080p? Because I have a 4k 50" samsung 6000 series tv and when I hook up my pc to it it doesn't let me up the resolution, same with the ps4 and Blu-ray I have.

>60fps
>19ms input lag

top kek

>I don't know how to use xrandr

>Input lag
>Potentially 4:2:0 chroma instead of 4:4:4
>Probably only 30hz through PC input

>implying any of that shit matters for non-gaymen

>19ms

Jesus christ.

You were stupid, displays that large have lower PPIs than traditional displays. I have a 40" 4k display and it is nice for things not vidya, but for vidya it puts you at a disadvantage as a lot of things will be in your peripheral view. Also you'll soon learn that you need to buy an arm for it (they dont exist for ones that large) or mount it to a wall to get it at the proper height.

I'm not a gaymer. I'm a programmer. This setup is strictly for reading papers and programming.

>How far away are you sittibg from the monitor?
about two feet or so. It's a perfect distance for me.

text is sharp as tacks!

>Can you actually output 4k or does your rig only do 1080p? Because I have a 4k 50" samsung 6000 series tv and when I hook up my pc to it it doesn't let me up the resolution, same with the ps4 and Blu-ray I have.
Yep. I have an Nvidia card (AMD is fine as well). If you're not getting 4K it's either your card or your HDMI cable. You need HDMI 2.0 4K cable... the 18Gbps one. If you don't have it, you'll have shit resolution options.

>Bought a 55" 4k TV on cyber monday, has a true 100hz panel
>Will use it mainly to play muh emulated old gaems and watch chinese cartoons via a HTPC
See me not giving a fuck, I enjoy it regardless

This is the best site i know of for a breakdown of display input lag on larger screens if anybody wants it.

>tfw you're colourblind so all that shit looks the same

>You were stupid, displays that large have lower PPIs than traditional displays. I have a 40" 4k display and it is nice for things not vidya, but for vidya it puts you at a disadvantage as a lot of things will be in your peripheral view. Also you'll soon learn that you need to buy an arm for it (they dont exist for ones that large) or mount it to a wall to get it at the proper height.
My 27" 1080p has 82ppi. my 4K TV is 88ppi. Text looks sharp as fuck to me.

Anyway. 4K at 40"+ is the only way to go. I used to own a 27" 4K screen and it was so bad because I had to scale shit all the time. And it never worked well in Linux. But now, I just adjust font size and I'm good to go. No need to scale shit. And the amount of space is incredible.

As for those retards above, 16-19ms (what I'm getting) is damn good for my needs. I don't see mouse lag at all.

>>Probably only 30hz through PC input
see this screenshot: it's 60Hz.

>My 27" 1080p has 82ppi.
that is a stupid comparision and a stupid display. a 1050p 22" has 90 PPI.

And now you'll also realize one of two things will happen, either you wont use the bottom portion of the display, or you'll have to spend more money on a wall mount. I have a ErgoTron LX HD arm on my, it is large enough to support a 50" display, but im guessing yours is probably over its weight limit (30lbs)

>tfw colorblind and driving a car

Every green light is a mystery to me, i think from far away the traffic light isn't working

it's very low to the desk. this samsung TV stand is

>it's very low to the desk
i'm aware, thats why i'm pointing out you either wont use the bottom half because of neck strain, or you'll have to buy a wall mount to get it at the right height.

4K is a good resolution for about 22-24"
50" monitors should have at least 8K

let's hope you don't get any mysterious green pedestrians crossing the road in front of you

I have to slow down every time to see whether it's really green or not working, i regularly piss people off behind me that see the green light

Having bad vision also isn't helping, first 2000 i earn will go to eye laser surgery

naw bro... I've lowered my 27" to the same height... maybe slightly lower. it's fucking perfect I tell ya!

BTW, here's the test image that you can display on any TV and see if it has 4:4:4. if all of the lines are readable, it's 4:4:4. most TVs without 444 can't display bottom two lines.

>4K is a good resolution for about 22-24"
you need scaling for that. 125-150% scaling to be exact.

the issue is that once you start scaling so you can read shit, # of lines of text that you can display goes to the 1440 levels.

>50" monitors should have at least 8K
agreed. but 4K is fine for me.

you're probably crazy, most 4K TVs have very low motion resolution and usually cheat on the number of sub-pixels by using a RGBW matrix or similar.

>Ive lowered my 27" to the same height... maybe slightly lower.
you're retarded

>test image
they can display the lines, the text is just difficult to read. samshit lied at 4:4:4 support on my display, and all the retards online didnt know the difference, otherwise i would have held off on purchasing it. at the time i bought mine no other 40" display supported 4:4:4. it does support 4:4:4 but it was only available at 30hz. forgive the shitty picture quality, i dont have a real camera

>you're probably crazy, most 4K TVs have very low motion resolution and usually cheat on the number of sub-pixels by using a RGBW matrix or similar.
I'm sure shit TVs do it but not this TV! I did my research.

>This is the best site i know of for a breakdown of display input lag on larger screens if anybody wants it.
>displaylag.com/display-database/
I used this site and also this site:

rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best

The input lag and obscene sample times of tvs are recognizable even doing something as casual as watching a movie.

>you're retarded
NO U!

>samshit lied at 4:4:4 support on my display,
could be. this Rtings site does ALL the tests. They don't get fooled.

scroll down to all displays. see if your screen is listed.

ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best

the image will be fine if you adjust it, but that input latency is going to suck.

>The input lag and obscene sample times of tvs are recognizable even doing something as casual as watching a movie.
kek. you don't know shit bro. compare 16ms lag to actual monitors on this chart:

> muh latency

Just smoke some weed, and the latency will stop bothering you.

peasant

OP, can you do programming on this tv? No eye pain?

What do you guys think of Wasabi Mango U400? Thinking of putting one in the living room for console gaming and video streaming.

>look at all this shit
>that means you own shit
No. Feel free to post independent numbers while you're at it for your tv.
The days of shitty pmw's are for the most part over and with them died eyestraining lcd displays. You'll be fine regardless of what you buy these days.

I owned a 27" 4K. Hated it. Hated 4K because of it. But some user in a thread few weeks ago told me what to do (get 40"+ 4K screen).

I think large TV is the way to go unless you have $1500 burning a hole in your pocket.

>OP, can you do programming on this tv? No eye pain?
YES! No eye pain! Fonts are incredible. Sharp as needles. No lag. Screen brightness is uniform as fuck.

To pick up a TV that will work for programming, see the 2 links and an image I posted above. Do research on what's available locally and within your budget.

>buying some shitty lcd instead of superior plasma
Laughing at all of you faggots.

How much did you pay for that tv OP?

>it does support 4:4:4 but it was only available at 30hz.

Dumbass, Samsung logic boards support 4:4:4 chrome at both 60 and 30Hz. If you don't have 4:4:4 at 60Hz, this is due to two possible causes: your graphics card does not support HDMI2.0 (AMD is shit!) or your don't have a proper HDMI2.0 cable. Bandwidth is clearly not sufficient to drive the signal.

What GFX card do you have? If you have Nvidia with HDMI 2.0, you're GTG.

You probably have a shit cable.

I got it at bestbuy, $550 US (with taxes). brand new... 40" was a much better deal if you ask me. I'd go for 40" if I was buying again.

put it in gaymen mode

>your graphics card does not support HDMI2.0
A pair of EVGA GTX 980 SuperClocked cards

> or your don't have a proper HDMI2.0 cable
I do

UN40HU6950 dont support 4:4:4 at 60hz you tard

I did that too, but kept my old HD monitor.

nice! I didn't mount mine and kept it on desk. I haven't plugged in my smaller one.

ps: what's that bionocular thing on the top of your monitor?

Crazy, because you're using it as a main monitor.
It would make a great display for watching movies or youtube while in bed, but otherwise this is a better main driver

youtube.com/watch?v=lMhJWGekZDU

please post pics

center speaker of the old 5.1 audio system.

I usually get bashed here like
>5.1 on a desk
or
>nigga invest in your living situation

but i don't care.

>Earlier today

You're a idiot for missing out on the black friday sale. And let me guess the model, KU6300 ?

>I usually get bashed here like
what you should be getting bashed about is your scale and the fact that you're leaving a powder measure on top of its load cell

I foresee myself doing OP's thing someday.

I have really bad nearsighted vision and what's funny is that I can kind of watch TV shows without my glasses on my 30" TV when I'm sitting near it. I think if I had a big enough screen that I could see the picture clearly at a distance without glasses on.

I think it would be wonderful to use my computer without needing to wear glasses

logiturd surround speaker.
do not buy.

Heh, but you are wrong.
I flipped over the "contact dish" and it is actually working as a dust cover.

Gabe did the same thing. Yeah, $500 large screen TV is the way to go.

0) Way cheaper than actual monitors

1) You have a TV! You can actually switch the input and watch whatever you want on TV.

2) It's 10x easier to sell a used 4K TV than to sell a used 4K monitor. If you're buying off craigslist, you'll see them gone an hour after the posting

3) 4K TVs are cheaper and lose less value after a year

tl;dr: go with 4K TV.

Need more convincing?

youtube.com/watch?v=BwS0fftQAFc

>0) Way cheaper than actual monitors

Yeah major point is this. I'm and that bloody, brand new 50" 4K Samsung went for 499€.
Also, all the features a modern TV has.

Basically yes you could still go for a monitor but you really have to close both the eyes for the price/size ratio

Not him but i picked up tge 6300 and holy hell it looks amazing

>6300
protip:

KU6270, KU6300 and KU629 have EXACT same screen panels! only difference is that cheaper models don't have bluetooth (it's fucking useless anyway) and come with standard remote (not the fancy one).

If you want a monitor, pick the cheapest of the three... since extras are useless.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahhahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahaa

Im literally posting this from my 4k tv right now.

Im Supreme in CSGO (soloque), I rape at fps games in general finishing consistently at the top. I had an 144hz monitor but sold it after I got my 4k tv. You literally cant notice the input lag. the 60hz yes but thats just your imagination since you cant see it.

Also my reaction time is on average 173ms so fuck you and your above 200ms reaction time.

>complaining about input lag on Sup Forums

you cucks always get caught out by these threads, it's hillaryious

I used to have my desktop at the font of my bedroom next to a TV stand with a 37" flatscreen. I had extension leads for mouse & keyboard and always had an autism den setup on my bed. I fucking miss it, it was so fucking comfy.

Not OP, but I've got a question. Is 1080p too low res for a 27 inch monitor?

I'm used to a 24 inch 1680 x 1050 monitor, and I saw a nice benQ monitor for sale on amazon cyber week.

A lot of resolution Nazis say that it's too low, but then regular people say it looks great, does anyone have any experience with this?

Yes, it's too low. Go 1440p for 27".

I have neither the hardware or budget to be able to use a 1440p, I'm afraid.

Tough luck poorfag, save up, since 27 full hd is grandma mode

>Not OP, but I've got a question. Is 1080p too low res for a 27 inch monitor?
my calculator has a higher PPI than 1080 @ 27"

I don't know if it is because I'm getting older, but I think 1080p is good enough and I see no reason to change my monitor.

>that pic
Jesus man

>I don't know if it is because I'm getting older, but I think 1080p is good enough and I see no reason to change my monitor.
1080p is horrible. you can't even fit two browsers side-by-side comfortably. At least get 2560x1440 if you can't go 4k.

Getting back late: yes the 43'' ku6290 (which is a ku6300 w/o Bluetooth remote). I had issues at first with the brightness giving me headaches, so I lowered it and I've had no issue since (also keep backlight above 10 to prevent pwm dimming). I had a 4:2:2 4k with too much input lag before that I had to return, but this im definitely keeping, especially for $270.

Where did you get it for 270?

Hhgreg
slickdeals.net/f/9404931-40-samsung-un40ku6290-4k-hdr-uhd-smart-led-hdtv-255-40-samsung-un40ku6300-4k-uhd-smart-led-hdtv-298-free-shipping-free-store-pickup-hhgregg?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

And i meant 40''

Damn. Not a bad deal.

I had to buy a 4k TV last week. I use it as a monitor right now because I spent all my money on christmas gifts, so I have to wait until my next paycheck for a monitor.

It is not ideal. Only do it if you absolutely need to.

>2' from a 50'' tv
Enjoy going blind faggot

That was a terrifying experience. A few years ago my R/G color blind friend from out to town visited. He drove. We were fine during thr daytime because he could see the position of the traffic lights. But at night while going at full speed he would shout "IS THAT RED OR GREEN?" and we would have to shout back in time.

Cool, thanks. Is 47ms bad?

What a great thread. Just want to say I got the 65 inch Samsung ks8000 and sit on my bed about 8 feet away from it. Used to have 1440p 27inch. Input lag really isn't even noticeable. Going from 144hz to 60 is. But it has some of the best picture I've seen with SUHD and whatnot. IMO I like games to look more pretty than they do run smooth. Still getting 55-60fps with the 980ti though.

Also check out rtings.com for big breakdowns on tv's for pretty much every use.

>tv as monitor
>that shit tv panel as a monitor
Enjoy you're eye cancer, Sup Forums.

>you're

>the 60hz yes but thats just your imagination since you cant see it

lmao
fuck off, shill

Could one of you experts who has KU6300 (or compatible) TV and uses it as a monitor explain to me please what settings you're using?

I used 40" as a TV but after reading this thread, I plugged it into my PC and it's great! But I'm overwhelmed by settings. I put it into Game Mode and that was an easy fix for lag. Now I don't percept any.

But what should these things to?

Backlight = 5
Brightness = 52
Contrast = 100
Sharpness = 0 (if you have it an anything else, it will look like shit)
color = 50
Tint = G50/R50
HDMI UHD Color = HDMI1
HDMI Black Level = Low
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Color Tone = Standard
White balance = 2 Point
Gamma = 0
RGB Only Mode = Off
Color Space = Native

I'm interested if I could improve any of this? I have no idea what RGB mode does..

Also, what Color Profile should I use???

I use my 32" 1080p HDTV as my main monitor (woth a 24" next to it). Been doing so for a couple years no couldnt imagine going back to less than 27" at least

Why doesn't your friend just not be a retard and look at the crossing signs on the side of the road? If its a walk sign that means its green, if its a flashing hand that means it will go red soon and if its a solid had it means its either amber or red and he should slow down

I have a 40" 4k monitor. 10/10, would never go back. Only people who cry about it are hard core gaymers who play fast paced games and believe every edge helps them.

this thread is me 1 year ago when Sup Forums insisted 4K was a meme

4:4:4 60hz 20ms latency

>this thread is me 1 year ago when Sup Forums insisted 4K was a meme
those 24" 4K ones might be a meme

>4:4:4 60hz 20ms latency
noice!

>I have a 40" 4k monitor. 10/10, would never go back. Only people who cry about it are hard core gaymers who play fast paced games and believe every edge helps them.
Same here.

It's way, WAY more amazing to me than VR.

btw 4K 120hz, effective 60hz

No gfx / bandwidth can handle 120fps even if DP 1.4 was released in March. Using DVI to HDMI from Amazon Basics, 18gbps because hdmi just sucks

>tfw AMD
>tfw no HDMI 2.0
>tfw every HDMI 2.0 adapter i find is a scam

>TV as a monitor
>Am I crazy or a genius?
TVs are more expensive than monitors...

u wot

check out smoothvideo project (SVP) for 60fps 4K playback it's sick

gratz again, imo the only upgrade is gonna be 8K 240hz, effective 120hz actual 60hz, implying you bought samsung the connect boxes can be upgraded independently from the panel.

>27" 1080p
>sharp as fuck
Opinion discarded.