/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Questions that don't deserve their own thread should be asked here

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236434
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820242125
searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/opinion/Windows-POSReady-2009-registry-hack-brings-back-Windows-XP-updates
jdrch.wordpress.com/2015/02/15/how-to-safely-move-your-apps-and-files-to-a-new-microsd-card-on-android/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So, I'm running Jessie and going to change to Stretch. Is it alright to just upgrade, or reinstall?

Since this kind of thing doesn't deserve it's own thread I'm going to post it here

I just ordered this how bad did I Fuck up?

Forgot to add
>inb4 questions about blast radius

meh, it's fine. Just make sure you add one of these so you don't lose it

Is there an easy way to use a 3.5mm male cord with an optical female? Have some old [spoiler]Turtle Beaches[/spoiler] I'd like to use, and I'm broke as fuck. No upgrading for me

Just switch your sources.list to Stretch and do apt update, apt upgrade, and apt dist-upgrade. Stretch isn't even stable yet(that I know of), so I would go for Testing, maybe Sid after you get the hang of things.

>3 seconds to google
frys.com/product/4712039?source=google&gclid=CjwKEAiA1ITCBRDO-oLA-q_n8xYSJADjBQfGy3hZTEDM5qVk4q4_g9GHJaqdKs_BuVX1TUToGf0CiRoCBz3w_wcB

I have a receiver with a set of speakers connected with an optical cable. This is fine, right?

can i use https even when i don't have my own domain?
i port forwarded my server so i can access it in the internet and would like to try if i can get a cert from letsencrypt

Good price, assuming it's not slow as shit like other brands

Should i start louring young girls in my neighborhood with money?
Suggestions are welcome

what's the other available color?

I don't know I'm hoping not but it's mainly to create a multi boot OS installer so I can stop downloading so many isos

Excellent, so there's not a big chance of corrupting something during the upgrade? I know Mint always says reinstall. I guess as long as everything's backed up, it doesn't matter too much.

Nice try, eff bee eye. I shall counter your bait with this trap card.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236434
Is this a good monitor in your guys' opinion for 4k gaming?

Is it USB 3.0? They're faster, even on 2.0 ports.

ABP
1138X906
Safari+MAC

Did i miss a few?

>so there's not a big chance of corrupting something during the upgrade?
I know it's anecdotal, but it hasn't happened to me in over 15 different computers on the last 4 to 5 years.

what's the most lightweight linux server? Headless is okay with me as i can handle the commands and shits.
I'm talking about less than 512 or even 256mb of memory footprint

Like a blue black color I preferred the metal look though
Yes it's 3.0 thought it was worth it since it's only like 4 bucks more

I'm downloading a video to take screenshots of it. What type of file should I convert it to?

What file manager should I use for Android

Bought a laptop (Lenovo Ideapad) with 6300HQ and 950m ddr3 4GB can it run Overwatch and FF14 >60 FPS consistently?

Will this do fine in the said laptop? newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820242125

Lastly can Samsungs 850 M.2 2280 250GB SSD work on it?

A specially setup gentoo

Also, I used keepvid to download the video at 1440p from YouTube, is that okay for getting good quality, or should I use a different program?

ever since I updated firefox embeded videos do this shit

also unrelated I'm starting to see youtube adds that are just stills of the add

I see nothing wrong with this.

No you would need ddr3 if that's what the laptop already has as for the SSD more than likely yes unless there is something odd about the laptops interface

Oh the laptop's ram is DDR4 but the gpu is ddr3, that's why I was asking for the said link.

Thanks for answering user!

i probably need a small cam, suggestions?

Ah I should have done more than just scan the description but Ya I would say that would work then

any free domain solutions that can handle dynamic IPs? I'm talking about a java webapp here by the way

Thanks, I appreciate it.

can confirm this

Actually looked it up and didn't find anything. Didn't look in the right places, I guess. Thanks a bunch, user

$ make
cd chat; make all
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/ddd/Downloads/ppp-2.4.7/chat'
cc -c -O2 -g -pipe -DTERMIOS -DSIGTYPE=void -UNO_SLEEP -DFNDELAY=O_NDELAY -o chat.o chat.c
cc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory
chat.c:93:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
#include
^
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [Makefile:24: chat.o] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/ddd/Downloads/ppp-2.4.7/chat'
make: *** [Makefile:13: all] Error 2
ddd@solus ~/Downloads/ppp-2.4.7 $

Trying to compile PPP in order to compile SSTP-CLIENT, ran into this, wtf? i dont' get it

You did good. Now buy 9 more and put them all on your fingertips. Now put on a striped sweater and a fedora and become a jacked up version of Freddy Krueger that install gentoo to people computers while they sleep.

I've only used Nvidia since the 460's launch and just installed a 480.

The control panel is frustrating. It seems like it is trying to do a lot on my behalf. Do AMD users really make unique profiles for each game? Is there a tutorial or something to walk me through the different controls?

what's the easiest way to resize a webm to 2mb so i can post it on here

ty I'll try make them public, but how would I define it properly? I honestly don't understand this damn language even though I want to

Is an SSD still faster than a standard HDD even if both the SSD and HDD are hooked up to the motherboard via SATA III?

My PC has two hard drives:

SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO via SATA III

HDD: 1TB Western Digital WD10EZEX @ 7200RPM via SATA III

Is there a way to test the read/write speeds of these drives?

yes. use crystaldiskmark or i think samsung magician has a built in benchmark as well

i have a 480 too.
profiles: not really, everything on MAX
but they do allow for additional settings (thats crimson[ccc])

tutorial for crimson?? how retarded are you, click everything and see what gives...

>fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory

ur compiler isn't installed right most likely...apt-get build-essential

The menu layout is terrible. Positioning monitors is a pain in the ass, I want to check HDCP status on individual monitors as well, also want to check refresh rates, I shouldn't have to click around like a retard guessing where it is or trust AMD will do it for me.

i thought its like windows, expecting the file in the dir it runs from, guess not.
cp'd to /usr/include and now i moved onto the 2nd.

_mingw.h

999 more will come

guys, what firefox addon for saving images from all rightmost tabs(so that i can grab my animu girls off pixiv) work with e10s?

saveimages and pterodactl don't. why's firefox going to shit with those webextensions?

no such @ solus, or names different?

searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/opinion/Windows-POSReady-2009-registry-hack-brings-back-Windows-XP-updates

Should I apply this to the old Pentium 4 XP machine that my mother uses to browse the internet every now and then (she has a tablet too)?

GOT IT!

sudo eopkg it -c system.devel

thx for the tip

I've got a question, I've recently gone through an ordeal with my computer that resulted in My Windows 7 no longer being 'Genuine".

>New graphics cards 2RX480 and Ram16GB
>wanted to stress test it with ARK survival evolved
>BSOD before loading onto the server
>corrupt drivers and could not boot at all
>Install disk can't repair
>go in with linux and replace the drivers with ones from different folders
>Windows boots
>no longer genuine
>Can't authenticate windows through multiple trials
>Can't change key directly

My question is:
At what point should I have just wiped and did a clean install?

Why is my laptop so hot while idle?

I only just one day ago cleaned out all the dust from inside it, replaced the fan and replaced the thermal paste.

step3
what bsod err btw

Something about out of memory and something else I stupidly didn't write down. I can't recall as it was two days ago this happened.

I might be coming into a brand new free MacBook air. Long story short it was delivered to a large facility I work alongside by accident with no name, no recipient, no claim and it wasn't from any large retailer. It's a rogue delivery that nobody has mentioned since it arrived over 2 weeks ago.

Is it possible/does apple have any type of remote block on the BIOS level? Since its relatively low storage I was considering just throwing Linux on it. What do I have to worry about here outside of somebody asking about it? I'm not familiar with Apple products but I know they can be Jews about it.

do u have a RAID?
rare failure, never happen to me before on raid0

no, but my C:\ is a little 64GB SSD that was really close to capacity. That might have something to do with it.

I'm trying to upgrade from a 32gb microsd card to a 64gb one. I copied everything into a folder via my laptop and moved it into the 64gb one but when I put it in my phone, none of the apps on the card are functional and it requires me to redownload them

Im using a samsung galaxy s5

what am i overlooking here, i formatted the card and everything

Any good suggestions on guides/books of how to use and create sessions for web development?

I don't have a smart phone but after googling and clicking the first suggestion, I don't think you are supposed to format SD cards if you want to use them on an android.

>jdrch.wordpress.com/2015/02/15/how-to-safely-move-your-apps-and-files-to-a-new-microsd-card-on-android/

I'm about to move reuse my current hdd and put it into my new pc. I'm just going to format the hdd on my current pc before unplugging it and moving it. My stupid question is am I doing anything wrong? ;_;

Please respond.

Do you want to erase all the data? if yes, go right ahead.

Are you two on windows?
I've noticed the same issue but don't have a solution.

If it's on linux see if running pulseaudio --kill helps. I had all my video with audio freeze on me once, and the issue was pulseaudio being shit.

What's better? MyDefrag or Defraggler?

I literally just pulled this link up when you replied. SM-G900V is the exact version I have, I think this is the solution i need here

thanks for your help anyway user

Well I moved all the stuff i want to an external hdd. And I'm gonna have to format the drive anyway on the new pc. Just wanted to avoid things like pulling out an sd card before safely ejecting it

>safely ejecting it
that made me giggle, Just make sure the computer has no power when you are ripping stuff out.

A modern filesystem.

Th-thanks

Unfortunately windows is only compatible with NTFS which is ancient

I want to learn programming/C but want to know how to pace myself. How much stuff should I go through each day and learn properly?

Is there a way to force a MySQL database to use sequential IDs?
Deleting 2 from 1 2 3 4 gives me 1 3 4 and I need 1 2 3
Thanks

no. that will slow the entire database if it's on a gb scale and those are just IDs anyway. enough with your OCD.

It's just for an assignment. Most people aren't using databases so things are accessed in the order they're listed
I'll try unsetting/resetting the column as primary key
You should think of a project rather than go through tutorials. It's the best way to learn to program

I'm looking for a tool the runs on linux that generates flowcharts based on some form of textual input language. I used it before and can't remember what it's called. Anyone have any ideas of what it might be?

Just do a copyover.

I was thinking of cprogramming and cs50 online, are those not good choices?

Not in my opinion. Think of a small program you want to write and get to it. I think the most important programming skill is googling problems and reading documentation

I'm overclocking my GTX980 and experiencing crashes even though my temperatures never get anywhere near max. Temperatures top out at around 60-65C, but I keep experiencing crashes every 30-40 minutes in games.

Would I want to up the voltage, or lower core clock Hz? I feel like +75MHz isn't very much to the core clock, so I feel like I should be upping the voltage, but I'm still fairly new to overclocking so I don't want to accidentally give it too much juice.

is there a tiling window manager for windows that allows you to fullscreen a window within the bounds of a tile?

dirty fans?

Faulty fans! Are those suckers spinning?

downloadthemall

I don't think you can use DTA over multiple tabs

So I'm planning on adding aliases to bash
example
alias vps1='ssh [email protected]'

then I back it up to my dotfiles repo on my github - would showing my vps' IPs be a bad idea? considering I don't use domain names people just connect to my sites using the IPs

crashes have nothing to do with temparature, it's just a limit on how far you can go.
if your overclock is getting unstable then yes, you want to start increasing the voltage. this will increase the temparature as well, so watch out for that.

As long as it's properly secured, it'll probably be fine.

put the a host name into your hosts file so you can use a name instead of the ip directly.

alright can you explan what I put where?
#

on linux but I don't use pulse audio

x.x.x.x myhostname

Yeah they're spinning and brand new.

Before replacing all the fans and paste the laptop would get into the 90s and shut down 10 minutes after being turned on.

Now the temps are slightly better, and so far it hasn't shut down due to overheating - although I haven't had it on for more than an hour and I've only used Chrome on it.

Maybe HP just make really shit laptops I suppose?

>Maybe HP just make really shit laptops I suppose?
i could have told you that, i own an hp pavilian which could burn a hole through jeans

what version of ubuntu will work on a hp thin client t5145?

Having issues finding compatible version that works off USB

Who would win? Helen Keller with a gun vs a roomba with a chainsaw bolted on top. In a 15x15 room.

Does she have prior knowledge of what she's facing?

>I think the most important programming skill is googling problems

Kek. So before there was google, all programmers were shit?