/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
- /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 2)
archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/ - /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 1)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NwS28dX7eOI
pastebin.com/P7rwMFLq
pastebin.com/yZM8zGwv
clonezilla.org/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Infinality
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

GODDAMNIT what the fuck

literally spent like 5 hours trying to configure mpd+ncmpcpp last night and i FINALLY got it to work

now i turn on my laptop this morning, and (1) lost my playlist i had set up from yesterday, and (2) i cant even browse for music by pressing tab

someone help and tell me wtf is going on !???????????

do you have systemwide or userwide config?
are you sure mpd loads the proper mpd conf?
did you create appropriate database and playlist file?

>do you have systemwide or userwide config?
how would i know this?
i followd this guide: youtube.com/watch?v=NwS28dX7eOI
mpd config: pastebin.com/P7rwMFLq
ncmpcpp: pastebin.com/yZM8zGwv
(and yes i have the directories edited for my system)

>are you sure mpd loads the proper mpd conf?
?

>did you create appropriate database and playlist file?
i think so
if i go into:
cd .mpd
ls

i get:
config mpd.conf mpd.db mpd.log mpdstate playlists

systemctl status mpd.service

systemctl status mpd.socket

upload outuput

What happens when your run mpd from the terminal?

ok i ran those commands but im not sure what they do?

also i just sudo killall'd mpd and ncmpp

and then i typed in: mpd

and i get

Dec 03 09:51 : socket: Failed to bind to '127.0.0.1:6600': Address already in use

>Dec 03 09:51 : socket: Failed to bind to '127.0.0.1:6600': Address already in use
mkay

systemctl mask mpd.service
systemctl mask mpd.socket

Now you have to add mpd to autostart on login.
Ubuntu settings manager should have a "session" option or something like that. Just add an entry and the command should be just "mpd".

Reboot

>Ubuntu settings manager should have a "session" option
is it this?

and do i have this correct?

im assuming i dont as i just restarted and it still doesnt work :(

Something really minimal I guess.
Can it run modern DE's ?
I'd say some lightweight distro that handles lxqt or lxde.
Even XFCE maybe but I'm unsure.

Something lighter than puppy.

Is Void lighter ? that seems to be a meme though.
Then just go straight for LFS.

it's okay.

have you masked the service and the socket?

post ~/.xsession-errors

what happens when you run mpd from the terminal?

There's a nice pitfall newcomer struggle with.
mpd usually starts a root daemon, which reads configs from /etc/ rather than ~/mpd.
Solution: Configure mpd to be a user daemon or disable the daemon alltogether and start mpd when you need it yourself.
>>Dec 03 09:51 : socket: Failed to bind to '127.0.0.1:6600': Address already in use
This basically means that mpd is up and running, a "it already works, retard"-error.

>have you masked the service and the socket?
i dont know what this means. sorry, this is my 3rd day using a linux distro :)
>post ~/.xsession-errors
again, dont know what this means. when i copy and past that command into the terminal, i get :Permission denied
>what happens when you run mpd from the terminal?
still getting the failed to bind message

>Configure mpd to be a user daemon
configure to where exactly?
or more easily how can i just disable mpd altogether in that case?

typing mpd into terminal is a hell of a lot less work than what im dealing with right now hehe

Why did you even want to install mpd?

>i dont know what this means. sorry, this is my 3rd day using a linux distro :)
I told you what commands you have to run in this post run them with sudo/su

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FRIEND!

Two Questions

I went from Windows to Gnome one month ago.

Absolutely loving it.

But what's the best way to structure and organize all my files w/ linux?

Interested in optimization and increasing my efficiency. I am also looking for ways to master core essentials master the command line.

Share your primers please.

xdg provides basic infrastructure.

documents go in ~/Documents, music goes to ~/Music etc etc

Of course there will be autist

>copy files around
>just for fun check the SHA1 hash
>it's different than the original

What can cause this? My drive is relatively new. I copied it from an ext4 to ext4 partition using cp.
I just spent 3 hours trying to fix something which turned out to be caused by a "corrupted" file. That's not even the worst thing. I'm worried about future file corruption.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Reading up on xdg now.
I want to be specific in my definitions.
Already have I installed multiple dictionaries, that I use diligently.
-
So many extremely interesting things here ... So share your primers! So far I've been fanatical in trying and learning new things.

Why is Debian a SJW distro again? I've seen their page for feminism or some shit, but it seems like it was there to shut the retards up. Do they have a movement? I won't switch because of a trivial reason, but I'd like to know.

Just a stupid forced meme.

my networkmanager applet is tripping balls guys.

>NO SSID shown
>Says I am auto connected to my default AP on i3 bar,but all I see is a Disconnect button not telling me which SSID I am connected.

anyone know why this is?

There are two pages on their wiki. "Anti Harassment" and "debian women". Both inactive.

Did you suspend and then resume when that happened?
I'm getting the same and other people too. Apparently the bug was fixed, which it was for me, but then it started appearing again. Check the Arch forums, that's where I saw it and they have a link to the upstream bug report.

How different is systemrescuecd from the official gentoo ISO?

If you mean suspend and resume as in the entire computer to get it to function then yes, or I just restart NetworkManager.service

>bug happens close laptop lid let go in suspend
>open it up internet!!!

I have enabled netctl profile, when I'm at home it connects fine but when I'm away from home I must wait 90 seconds for timeout. Is there a way to skip that?

I'm trying to install Lubuntu from a USB drive as only system on a empty HDD and the shit keeps bitching with "unable to install bootloader, fuck off and die" so I can't finish the install after that

I'm reading that it might be some kind of permissions issue, there is any command to install the liveusb after loging as root?

No, I mean that the bug happens when you suspend and resume. Suspending again won't fix it. Only restarting NetworkManager and its applet might.

Idk then, it just happens at random, i restart the service to fix it and then it happens again.

It's really bothering me how Ubuntu doesnt save the position of program windows

For example, the terminal always opens up in one of the corners of my screen, even though the last position was, let's say the center of the screen.

Grinds my gears

Also, is there a way to make the terminal a little prettier? Maybe with come colors or something?

It has way more features.

Right click and edit profile prefernces.

Change the window managers. Some of them have a setting to position newly opened windows in the center.

I need to set up scrolling on my touchpad. Is synaptic always the driver used or are there other ones? How can I find out which I have?

xinput list

How to disable every shadow in compton?

Does someone know how to clone an entire Debian server to get it running again in no time ?
> inb4 Docker => the whole server please

man compton

-z don't work, so fuck you.

how do I set a custom resolution in ubuntu 16.04 using nouveau drivers? For whatever reason my monitor is capped at something like 400x600 (found with xrandr), and this wont let me set a custom resolution at 1920x1080. Even using arandr, I can't set a resolution to anything over (or under) 400x600.

At this point I think I need to write a custom xorg.conf file? But I am unsure if that is the right answer, and I am even less sure of how the fuck to do that. I am using an nvidia gtx 1060 video card if that helps any. Thanks in advance for any advice

I've never owned a UEFI machine before but my desktop boots Windows 10 through UEFI. What do I need to do differently during an arch install to account for this? I've heard that Windows 10 is not that friendly to other operating systems on the same machine.
Will grub and os-probe work or do I need to do something else?

a) read the manpage
b) fuck you woun't help you
c) read manpages before asking stupid questions

not all resolutions are available by default
create a new resolution
set the new resolution

>he fell for the arch meme

I just like it because I prefer minimal installs. Everytime I try another distro's minimal ISO like Ubuntu server or whatever it lacks a ton of basic CLI utils that arch doesn't and it's fucking annoying.

this?
clonezilla.org/

>nvidia gtx 1060
Unless they added support for it in the last few weeks Noveau doesn't support your card. Get the propietary drivers.

Looks good.
Thanks a lot user !

>nouveau
It's dead. Not only is it using blobs, it's irredeemable shit. You have to go proprietary.

Ubuntu is acting odd and not allowing me to use my headphones. If I go into alsamixer and try to unmute them (everything else can be muted and unmuted freely), they'll be on for a second then go back to mute. What can I do?

i've tried this, I run into an issue where the terminal tells me I can't set a resolution that is over 400x600 or whatever tiny res it's set to by default

Ubuntu is using pulse, so use install pavucontrol, which is a comfy GUI program to control it.
Stop using alsamixer.

haven't been able to get prop drivers to work which is why I'm trying with nouveau. Even with prop drivers that are compatible with my card (367.57 comes with ubuntu 16.04 and is compatible with my card) but it does not work. When I try to install it, I reboot into a frozen boot with a black screen

i've tried proprietary, it just as big of a shitfest as nouveau. Even the nvidia drivers that are listed to be compatible with my card don't work and won't even let me boot

Then you have to fix that. Free drivers are no option for your card.

arch wiki goes over it

Just remember that most of those "CLI utils" are arch specific programs that don't even exist on the other ones. I like arch for those tools too, but prefer gentoo.

Like what? pacman?

yeah, ubuntu doesn't have it

How surprising

hmmmmmmmmmm

ubuntu irc chat seems to disagree with you.

>user2 is me

wifimenu and mkinitcpio and stuff like that.

Maybe since you didn't tell him that little important information you use a GTX1060?

How about you do your own research about if the free drivers even support your card if you don't trust this thread?

>Maybe since you didn't tell him that little important information you use a GTX1060?

was stated above where the screen shot cuts off. My research has led me here

how do I make urxvt properly render ANSI text art?

I already responded to you last thread

>I'm too retarded for Arch but I'll try to post a reply anyways

I'm going to go back to GNU/Linux and want to go full bleeding edge because of KVM running Windows with GPU-Passthrough

Which distro is better for rolling, Arch, or Gentoo? Is there any other alternative?

solaris

Gentoo easily.
Fedora Rawhide is rolling release too, if you'd prefer that.

how do I get kde to not look like crap on a retina display?

Good thread.

So, what is the command to show the directory I'm in?

>kde
found your problem

echo $PWD

If i have a very old motherboard with onboard AMD graphics using Ubuntu

Should I disable Compiz? what would you do?

or just "pwd"

Hello i have some problem with the openbox i use to make some change to rc.xml file to disable all of my title bar. But now when i am trying to put the code back in its gives me an error to the line i have write it. This is the code i use

no

has anyone used openshot to make a youtube video? All I want to do is make a video with a static image and music. So I can get everything going fine in the preview but after I export it the audio becomes choppy when played back in a player like MPV. My computer isn't that powerful or anything but should that have any affect on the final outcome? It's not like I have to be rendering the video in real time to export correctly right? So why does it come out choppy?

Get infinality patchset and enable auto hinting
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Infinality

Just tried my very first attempt at installing linux. I chose Antergos as someone recommended it and it seemed to be an alright distro.

Basically, I now have no idea what I'm doing, and am wondering how I should start off, as in what essential programs might I want to download. I chose the GNOME DE and have Chromium already.

do bear in mind that chromium is still botnetted, albeit a lesser degree.
you may wish to pick a music player, like clementine or foobar, and libreoffice for working

>All I want to do is make a video with a static image and music.
just use ffmpeg
ffmpeg -loop 1 -r 1 -i picture.jpg -i music.m4a -shortest -c copy -c:v libx264 -g 7200 -crf 0 output.mkv

I chose libreoffice at installation and I'm only dual booting; I didn't replace absolutely everything (I'm not THAT committed yet). I'll look into music players though.

Any other software that you'd recommend?

Also, I chose to install Steam and PlayOnLinux during installation, but I have no idea what the latter is and I have 2 versions of Steam: "Steam" and "Steam (Native)," of which I don't know the differences between.

Native Steam being the Linux version, will only run Linux games. The other will be ran through WINE and be the Windows version, allowing you to play those games. But do be aware of compatibility issues and it being slower / choppier. If you're looking for a torrent client, Transmission is the best way to go.

Thank you for answering what I assume are mind-numbing questions for you, lol.

thanks

>Linux games

Mark my words. One day all PC gamers will be using Unix based operating systems to play their games.

You called? I play some of Linux. Gog and steam have me covered for a while adn there's always emulation. I sure wish more games were ported, it would be great if Widnows would jsut disappear.

>loadable as modules

>I don't understand what systemctl is

Go back to Windows if you aren't willing to use Google

ya it's called the playstation 4