Vulcan

i thought this was supposed to save Linux gaming. what happened to it?

Other urls found in this thread:

npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/37-percent-of-us-population-age-9-and-older-currently-plays-pc-games/
census.gov/quickfacts/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>i thought this was supposed to save Linux gaming.
You thought wrong.

nothing can save linux gaming.

it DID save Linux gaming, which is why 2017 is the year of the linux desktop

Only (YOU) Can save Linux Gaming.

few people have used it to make games yet

Linux gaming = Tux Racer

It's not like they have much to build from.

>____ was supposed to save linux ______

Wish I had a dollar every time someone wrote that sentence

You'd have $1

Games need to be developed with Vulkan in the first place.

>Vulkan
>Requires 100000x more code to render a single triangle than opengl
>Save anything
I hope someone writes a wrapper for Vulkan that is at about opengl's level or higher.

Linux has 2.31% market share why waste time?

It's supposed to finally put DirectX to rest, not to save Linux gaming. windows.h has always been the biggest hurdle.

I dunno. I was just giving an explanation of why Vulkan isn't booming yet. Considering that Vulkan is "cross platform" I would assume that any game developed for Vulkan would be compatible with Linux...right?

Freetard's wet dream

No gamedev will ever touch this piece of shit, why the fuck would I use some backwards homebrew garbage I don't need validation from neckbeard community I just want to make games

Linux gaming is dead. Steam machine is vaporware, developers have stopped porting to it.

You mean Direct3D. Because DirectX does so much more. With less complexity.

Its too low level and there are no good libs or tuts out for it yet

People overhyped it and didn't realize it would take a while for its true potential to be reached.

its true potential at least in gaming is shown with doom.

shocked how well that works on such shit hardware I have, and now get legitimately pissed everytime I see dx12 and not vulcan.

you can do the same thing with opengl extensions

/thread

give it another 10 years OP .

>on such shit hardware I have
I didn't know there was old shitty hardware that supported vulkan.

>Thirty-seven percent of the U.S. population age 9 and older currently plays PC games
>Population estimates, July 1, 2015, (V2015) 321,418,820
>Linux has 2.31% market share

x .37
--------------------
118400000 pc gamers in the US

x .023
--------------------
2723200 pc gamers that might want to game on linux

x $25
--------------------
68080000 possible gross from linux games

x .5
--------------------
34040000 to give you the benefit of the doubt

>34040000
>$34,040,000
>34 million dollars

34040000 reasons to waste time writing good, portable code

>npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/37-percent-of-us-population-age-9-and-older-currently-plays-pc-games/
>census.gov/quickfacts/

>Caring about vidya
Why do you fall for Jewish tricks so easly?

Considering that's exactly the sort of thing we have been doing in programming for decades now, I'd say there's a good chance of that happening

There's a good devbase for Linux as far as Steam goes.

The problem is just that more people use Windows because of things like DirectX. If it weren't for that I wouldn't be on the botnet to begin with. Vulkan is getting there but it isn't a good alternative yet.

As for steam machines, that pretty much was smoke in the water when steam link became a thing. There's literally no reason to buy a glorified console when you can just hook your $2000 computer to a box that does the hard part for you, for a reduced price.

phenom II 955
amd 280x
16gb ddr2

I Think that I have everything cranked as high as it will go on my gpu within reason, and the game gets over 100fps...

I'm not sure if higher settings on some things would result in better looking effects or if its going to just be placebo, need to go in and look around, but fuck me 100fps and smooth, never even considered it would run good till I got a new cpu even with vulcan.

probably, but im guessing, and seriously, just guessing, that a lot of fat got trimmed for vulcan, or they made damn sure everything was in one package.

It will, if you count Android as Linux :^)

>Implying anyone actually said that rather than just implying that this is going to make porting games over to Linux trivial

Also
>Usually takes about 3-5 years to create a big budget title
>Hurr durr!!!1 Why aren't there more games using this API that isn't even a year old
genius.jpg

I wish Sup Forums would conform to the same kind of quarantine that /mlp/ does...

It's still happening. Drivers are still improving; big games don't just appear overnight.
"Devs" complaining about setting up the thing requiring too much code should go back to Three.js or something.

>you can do the same thing with opengl extensions
Last I checked most of the fancy low-overhead stuff only works as advertised on Nvidia --- proprietary Intel barely tries to implement them, AMD tries and gets maybe 3/4 of it right. The rest glitches or crashes. Not good enough.
And the OpenGL API is such a clusterfuck of antipatterns it's probably harder to wrap than Vulkan.

*A new API is barely out*

"There are no games out for the new API. It has failed to revolutionize Linux gaming overnight"

"what happened?"

You do realize that the Nvidia Vulkan Linux driver was only just recently fixed? Most major engines are only now just getting support. X11 is completely fucked still. We have to get Wayland support in Vulkan in the main branch still. Fedora 25 literally only just switched to Wayland.

Give it a year so that all the work that has been done recently on the Linux graphics subsystem to actually to come to bear and for developers to release content.

Vulkan is a year behind DX12 and even in the windows space DX12 has had a rocky initial deployment. Vulkan has a long way to go especially considering how awful Nvidia aand AMD linux drivers are.

Don't even think about Intel and linux as thats a disaster given the dire state of their windows drivers.

>Assuming 50% of all Linux users would buy your game in particular.