/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Last Thread: OP Question: Should I buy pic related? Will it play games?

Other urls found in this thread:

uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Nic.V/saved/#view=bWJMpg
pcpartpicker.com/list/mKYhFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/xyP6pb
pcpartpicker.com/list/Phrvd6
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137050&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
pcpartpicker.com/list/crrnyf
pcpartpicker.com/list/CwzvWX
pcpartpicker.com/list/2RqQcc
forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=149795
pcpartpicker.com/list/PrpM4C
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

still asking on which card would give me more bang for my buck.

>tfw my i7 runs at 20°C in Chromium with a simple cm 212
>tfw I have 8 threads of pure beauty
>tfw I have 16 GiB of RAM

I am the bestest of them all. Eye seven bros where the fuck we at?

Unless they're listing the exact compinent, always expect to find the cheapest possible option that still fits the desired model name in a prebuilt.

You could get an i7 that's not unlocked, a non-overclocking motherboard, 16 GB of RAM, a basic 1080 and the two drives along with a power supply for $1200. Are you willing to spend 700 extra just for a case and Windows 10?

I heard the Intel Core i3-6100 is good considering it's price.

Is it a better deal than the AMD 8400?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Nic.V/saved/#view=bWJMpg

r8 me m80s

pcpartpicker.com/list/mKYhFd

Add 100 for black/blue meme case and maybe a custom CPU cooler and they're still making a profit of 600 dollars.

Cheerio! £/10. Oi, m8. Whoi is vhe proice so hoigh? Doos that include ve VAT? Tally-ho!

>Noctua case fans
>gaming motherboard
>EVGA-branded PSU that some other company built for them

other than that, solid build, 8.5/10

XFX RX480 GTR (higher asic quality, is BE worth the ~$10?)
or
MSI RX480 Gaming (better cooler)

pcpartpicker.com/list/xyP6pb

Any thoughts?

It's all vatted up, 20% last I checked. But I can claim it back as business expenses.

Still pricing in Bongland is fucked, I was half tempted to fly over to see family and bring back the same components, for cheaper, in a second suitcase.

Wanted the standard Z170-A but they were out until the 10th, so I bought the PRO GAYMER(TM) for a few extra bob.

As for the Noctuas, I wanted to get the Redux but they don't come with any of the cable extenders, low noise adapter or vibration compensators. At least it'll match the ugly cooler.

>144 Hz monitor
>overclocking/gaymen shit
>3 GB VRAM

Are you sure you don't want 4/6/8?

So I got a new rig on the way with a 1070.

I haven't sorted out the OS yet, I know DX12 is a bit of a meme but as time goes on all new games are going to be DX12, so that means I'm going to have to upgrade to Windows 10 in order to get DX12, right?

Or can I stick with Win7?

I'm no expert but I would still wait a few more months or even years before upgrading to 10.

The line up isn't that impressive anyway and devs rather work what's available than venture into something like DX12

>EVGA-branded PSU that some other company built for them
All Evga and Corsair psus are like that, no?

Is that a lowend laptop chip? Dear god yes it will blow it out of the water.

Unrelated, I already have a good computer that I use for gaming (6600k + Rx 480) that doesn't need any upgrades. But I have the itch to build. I found one of my parents old computers with a fried mobo. It made me want to uninstall everything and use the case and build in it. My only problem is that I'd have no idea what to do with the thing. I could use it to screw around with ganoo/ loonix, but I don't see why I couldn't do that with a hard drive partition from my main rig.
Any thoughts?
tl;dr what can I do with a cheap, low end computer that isn't gaming or consuming media? What benefits can i get from having a second computer?

>76 pounds just on extra case fans
Are you retarded?

iBuyPower is notorious for sketchty customer service. It'd be best to just buy the components and build it yourself

He lives in GB no less.

HAHAHAHA WELL DONE user WELL DONE YOU SEEN THROUGH OPS SARCASTIC PICTURE AND FOUND THAT THE SITE WAS A SHAM THAT RIPS PEOPLE OFF.

The case only comes with 1 stock fan. I still needed three/four more so it would have been 50 for the cheaper 3-pin noisier option.

One intake, one exhaust is usually sufficient. I like going with 2 intake, 1 exhaust though. so basically just buy two fans, and you don't need such expensive ones.

I'm thinking of adding ram for PC gayming. Is 8gb of ram enough or would 16 be better?

okay, i got my new baby purring and looking at the BIOS menu.

Is this where I look into overclocking?
I got a good heatsink, lots of spare voltage and Microcenter's extended warrenty covers overclocking damage, so I want to boost it up.

How do I into overclock?
I assume the Asus "EZ Tuning Wizard" would be the place to start, but how do I know how much I can safely push the processor (Intel i7 6 core)?

I'm doing fine with just one extra exhaust (120mm @800rpm). PSU is also exhaust (in top of the case). 2500k (@4.4) and R9 390 (stock). Intake fans are overrated.

XFX GTR. Saw some extremely positive reviews on youtube.

Absolutely disgusting. You have no idea of what you're doing. Get a prebuilt like all other normal retards.

I am sorry, I didn't mean to come off as obtuse, I am fully willing to alter the orientation of my HSF, I just wanted to be given a better explanation of why your argued orientation was better than mine.

Pic is my assumptions about how air is moving through the case. I am thinking that it would likely be best to make the HSF fan a pull orientation to prevent the aforementioned concerns of blowing GPU heat through the radiator.

>no airflow

What a pity.

>i7
>threads

lol

Most of those are "inspired" by jays review, and he's using the card's sensors to monitor power consumption. Some other review mentioned that the XFX card only reports power for the GPU, while most others report power draw for the whole card (including memory etc.). Can anyone confirm/debunk this?

Is this fine or did i messed up compatibilty etc.?

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce II
Intel i5 4460
ASRock H97M ANNIVERSARY (H97M)
Corsair CS550M

Any recomendations for a budget case or other PSU?

Shit didn't include the pic.

Why did you get a 4460.
a 6500 does better plus the mobo can take the new kaby lake as well.

4460 is cheaper and i've read it is good for the price im getting it

Go for the 2gb version. You can check a few videos with comparisons, but there is little difference between the versions. And games with settings demanding 4gb of VRAM will run at ~15 fps on that card anyway. So the 4gb version is more or less pointless.

Idk but why would that be important? From what i've seen/read the GTR runs reasonably quiet and cool while maintaining high and stable FPS, imo that's what counts, but i can't give you any info on your question, tough.

>those downward arrows on the GPU cooler

u wot m8

pcpartpicker.com/list/Phrvd6
now this is perfect, unless user has some critique on it

Not him, but how dumb are you exactly?

The GPU backplate is facing the CPU, the GPU fans are facing down.

Do the math, what do you think those arrows mean given the context?

>fans blow air upwards onto the heatsinks
>air moves to the side/ back of the card but certainly not against more air that's pulled upwards by the fans

Ah, didn't see new thread:
Addendum: I was looking at an EVGA psu, and I get that it might be a name-only, razer-tier, gaming trash name company now, but it advertises a 10-year warranty with "deluxe japanese-made capacitors" and shit like that making it sound like an actual good, high-quality product.

I'm torn.

What's the price?

$199.64

Actually, I checked PCPartpicker.

The 4460 is 175 from the looks of it, and the 6400, it's skylake successor is the same price, and the i5-6500 is 191 right now...which means wherever you're getting your CPU from, I'd stop.

So what's the best bang for my buck when it comes to cards? I'm looking at 120-150$

Are the prices in America lower than in Eu?

Get 3000 RAM, then it's half decent, but man... 850W...

Greatly.
I didn't know you were in the EU, so that explains.

Poland, specificly south Poland

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137050&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Can't help you there man, gotta talk to another EU guy.

First time pcbuilder here.

My PC boots to BIOS fine, by for some reason the fans (built into the case) don't work. The CPU fan is fine.

Anyone got any idea why? Pic related is where the fans' 12v SATA is plugged in

Sorry about image size, posted from phone.

The case is a phanteks enthoo pro

WRONG.

To
And all other Z170 board owners.

There are issues with Z170 boards and 3000+ memory.

You're lucky if you can get a stable 2800, but most of the time the only workable freq is 2133. There are countless threads and have been for the last year and a half about this.

Stick with 2666 or 2800, but as soon as you XMP your 3000 DIMMS you'll encounter BSOD, Black screens and even have trouble getting it to post.

Check your ram and check your motherboard, there still isn't a bios fix (one and a half years remember).

pcpartpicker.com/list/crrnyf

this is where im at right now.

I have the Define R5 and the Noctua D-15 is on its way.

Everything else is pretty much up in the air.
I plan to get a 250gb SSD for the Operating System and Programs, a 2+tb hdd for general storage with a 650+ Gold Power Supply, and a GTX 1060 (probably the EVGA overclocked 6gb).

the bit im on the fence about is if I want to get a Z170 motherboard and i5 6600K cpu, incase i want to overclock in in the future. 8gbs of ram with 2 open slots, overclocked as well if im going with a Z motherboard.

am i going in the right direction? is there any point in waiting for Kaby Lake?... or Zen?

Im pretty much aiming for 1080p gaming at consistent framerates that is capable of expanding when i feel like wasting money on 1 more fps, with enough Sata 3.0 to plug in random hard drives over the next few years as each game becomes 100+gb

I was thinking of getting a 6600k and 480, which I'm pretty set on. Could anyone suggest a WQHD 1440p display? I'm not really interested in 4k.

I'd assume the hub itself needs to be plugged into a fan header on the motherboard (at the header that's pointing at the SSD).

The hub is just a big splitter that needs to be plugged into something like a fan would so it can be told how to spin the fans up.

What do you guys think?

8GB of DDR3 High Speed 1600MHz RAM Memory
1000GB (1TB) SATA-III 7200rpm Hard Drive Stora3.7GHz AMD A4 6300 Dual Core APU CPU Processor (Turbo Speed 3.9GHz)
ge Space

whoa thanks for telling me

>the GTR runs reasonably quiet
That's good to know. The only thing stopping me from ordering the GTR was that i could not find any info on the noise levels.

My question so far was, assuming the XFX card reports around 50W less by omitting power draw for memory etc.:
XFX card reports 100W, so actually 150W
MSI card reports 175W
Can the XFX cooler handle 150W with less noise than the MSI produces for 175W?
But then, better asic normally also means more room for undervolting, giving the XFX card an even bigger advantage. I guess I'll find out about the noise.

Does anyone know what heat sink this is?

for what purpose

gaming

You're not gonna get far with that.
Your best bet is to wait for zen or go intel right now.

6300 is on the AM3/AM3+ motherboards, which are pretty much dead.

Yeah, I just can't seem to find it on the motherboard side...maybe I'm retarded

Luckily boosting RAM speeds barely even improves performance.

According to the manual, you're supposed to ose the CPU fan header or the second/ optional CPU fan header, those should be fairly close to the socket.

Current APUs are kinda outdated. If you still want to do an APU build, get faster RAM.

It's not good at all.

I can't find like...anything that isn't plugged in though

hi was just throwing some parts together and got this for gaming what do you think?

CPU and Memory:
AMD A10 quad core. A10 7700k. Hard drive:
SATA-III hard drive. DVD optical drives:
Dual layer. Graphics:
Shared graphics. AMD Radeon HD . Interfaces and connectivity:
4 x USB 2.0 ports. 2 x USB 3.0 ports. Ethernet port. 1 HDMI port. Wireless/Wi-Fi enabled. Wired keyboard and mouse. Operating system and software:
Microsoft Windows 10.

"be quiet!" is a german brand, so it'll be less common elsewhere. Most shops in germany have their PSUs. Much like Super Flower, which is kinda uncommon outside of asia. Both have some excellent PSUs in their lineup.

What's the exact model motherboard that you're using? You might just use a 4-pin Y-splitter cable on the CPU fan header with the actual fan and the connection cable to your fan hub.

Phantek's idea of plugging the CPU fan into a hub is definitely a bit weird.

Thanks so much guys.

Pic related was the missing part of the puzzle, hehe

the weird part is the fact that everything else is plugged in except the fan hub, which is just left loose for some reason.

Stop posting. There's literally not a single reason to not get 3000 RAM.
pcpartpicker.com/list/CwzvWX

Fixed it for you
pcpartpicker.com/list/2RqQcc

>two different prices
>two different vendors

Regardless forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=149795

Reported: Gigabyte & Asus Z170 type motherboards having issues (BSOD, Blackscreen, Post issues etc) with various DIMMS (Not just Corsair but primarily hence Corsair forum).

2133 is ready to go stable, but that's not why we buy 3000+ is it. However when you try to OC your ram, as well you should since you bought it for that reason, with Z170s there are problems.

Why don't you google it and you'll find that it's not just a 28 page, year long thread on Corsair that's reporting this but other forums including PCPartPicker threads.

I've put together a pc but can't seem to get a display to show up. Is this a common issue when building? I've tripled checked all the cables and nothing seems to be loose or anything.

>two different vendors
How does this matter? Anyone who's not stupid buys from the cheapest source, which is the case here.
Where i live:
Cheapest 2x8GB 2133: 87€
Cheapest 2x8GB 3000: 80€
Again, there's literally no reason to not buy 3000 RAM.

Sure there's no reason not to.

You just won't be able to boot up without OC fail message if you try to actually achieve 3000.

>down arrow from the GPU fans
You're a fucking retard. The fans on the GPU blow INTO the heatsink on the card and gets dispersed laterally inside the case. You must have been dropped on the head as a baby.

Oh look, it's another "expert" who thinks he knows a thing or two because he read it on the internet.
RAM is RAM, no matter what frequency they're advertised as. You can run a pair of 3600MHz RAM at stock 2133MHz by disabling XMP and then overclocking it manually to find the best threshold if XMP somehow fucks up your system. If a 3000MHz pair of 16GB RAM is cheaper than 2666MHz pair, then there is no reason not to get it even if your motherboard hasn't been rated to run memory at those clocks.

All XMP profiles do is raise the memory clock (tied to the BCLK) in order to get the advertised speed. Most motherboards even specify what the tested memory speeds of their motherboard is, you're on your own if they stopped guaranteeing speeds beyond 2666 or 2800MHz.

Now stop giving false and misleading info and fuck off. Most of those complaints were using cheap or not-so-great boards that weren't tested or certified to run higher than 2800MHz.

I made a thread, but I didn't know this one existed.
I never built a desktop before and don't know what I'm doing. This is what i got:

pcpartpicker.com/list/PrpM4C

Can you guys give me your opinion? What I should change, put in, take out, etc.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/PrpM4C
Sell everything for $500 and buy a used Macbook

So I've got all the parts together for my (mostly) new build:

Case - Corsair Carbide
CPU - Pentium G3258 (Yes I'm OCing it)
GPU - GTX 760 (Left over from my old computer)
RAM - 8gb 1600MHz
HDD - 250gb WD
Motherboard - Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A
PSU - EVGA 600w

What do you guys think? The most demanding thing I'll do with this is computer is probably Beam.NG.

I think you should stop being poor

Shut your chops, cuntlips. Asus Z170s are rated to run up to 3400 - and that's the minimum spec for their OC boards and this is exactly what the thread was about - Asus Z170s.

You're the legitimate idiot by saying 'Buy 3600MHz ram, even if you can't run it at that rate, get it anyway!

What are you going to say next? Get a 1200w power supply for a single card build? Because even though it can't use ALL DEM WATTZ, it's still better.

Hey all. I'm building a micro-atx system and I'm having trouble finding a motherboard. I bought the Jonsbo UMX3 case in case that makes a difference.

My needs are socket 1151, 2 pci slots for video cards and a type c usb port.

So far, all the motherboards i've looked at seem to have terrible ratings and fail after 1-3 months.

Definitely want to stick with 1151 so I can go to the kaby lake cpus when they come out.

Any ideas?

Listen, you dumb redditor, I'm saying that it doesn't fucking matter if a memory pair is rated at 2133MHz or 4000MHz. If it's cheaper, buy it you fucking dribbling retard.
The speed rating is what the memory manufacturer tested, certified, and set up a memory profile for to run at that peak speed. Just because your motherboard may or may not allow the DIMMs to clock that high doesn't mean that you can't fucking use them, you cumskinned tiny white-dicked redneck motherfucker. Just disable the XMP profile and either set your own memory clock, CAS latency, etc or leave it at 2133MHz. If all you want is plug and play, then just buy a 2133MHz pair and call it a day. Are all little white boys this dumbfuck retarded these days? No wonder you're getting BTFO everywhere.

>ASUS
It's always fucking ASUS that has these problems. They should be sued for false advertisement if that's true (and I'm not surprised). That's less of the memory maker's fault and entirely theirs for misleading advertisement. Either avoid ASUS boards or don't use XMP profiles.

>2nd gpu killed last night
What the fuck. Randomly it just shut down and nothing worked until I took the gpu out and put in the backup. This happened fucking twice and now it won't even work worth integrated graphics. I asked on leddit and toms hardware but no cunts are responding. Where else should I ask Sup Forums?

I'd go for the 1050Ti Single fan if you have the money.

How about Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5

You done homeboy?

Are you, cumskin?

At the price point, it's the best processor available right now.

3.5 star reviews... That's not great. A lot of reviews saying it dies randomly.