Why Google can't into design?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3_9QY7m9SxQ
github.com/TeamNewPipe/NewPipe
f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.schabi.newpipe
youtube.com/watch?v=hY0PaHhYKPI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The flatness is impressively digusting.

The worst is the scrubber on YT's mobile API. Look at where the maximize button is. Can't tell you the number of times I've hit the end of the video instead

Haven't seen white youtube in a while. Doesn't your eyes pain with all that bright white color. Just use stylish to apply some dark css.

every single change is like cancer growing exponentially

Worst part is that they have a meme counter-arguement:
>People "always" hate change

They used to say that for Windows 8. And it was stuck at 3,5% market share.

mpv+youtube-dl's design has not changed :^)

Literally nothing wrong with minimal or flat design.

Clutter on a page and using every pixel of space makes a page ugly and hard to navigate.

Why dont we go back to plain html days then, huh? I'm for it - even less clutter and easier navigation.

I kinda like it t b h. I just don't like that misaligned search bar.

I work at Google. Everything is pretty disorganized. Nobody seems to know why anyone does anything. I can frequently get away with doing nothing for weeks, even months, at a time. Good benefits though!

because Apple steals all their designers.

i feel you

Does that have anything to do with not being evil and balancing your workload with a ratio of personal projects

Makes me wish there was a P2P alternative to YouTube that's similar to Popcorn Time. Youtube went to shit the second they got rid of the star ratings.

that, and the worse is that it auto skips the video on mobile

>not being evil

They don't say that anymore,and for good reason.

youtube.com/watch?v=3_9QY7m9SxQ

google is daycare for smart people

>flat design cancer
I really want to know what made big companies decide for us that we suddenly wanted flat design. What started it? Was it Windows 8? At the very least, that's when I first noticed it. How do we make it stop?

I don't think "Don't be evil" is still a corporate slogan, although I've only been here for two years. They have other weird corporate lingo instead, though. They unironically talk about "being Googley." If you're a new Googler, you're a "Noogler." If you have a dog, you're a "Doogler." If you're gay, you're a "Gaygler." If you're old, you're a "Graygler." They call stretching "taking a gPause." I promise I'm not making any of this shit up.

20% projects aren't measured in any real way. I have a "20% project" and I basically told my team "I'm gonna work on this" and they said "OK." Last week I didn't work on it at all, next week I'll probably work on it more.

Pretty much. But it's daycare for smart people that allows me to own a nice flat in the city.

>I promise I'm not making any of this shit up.
Somehow, I'm not surprised in the least.

>If you're gay, you're a "Gaygler."

If you're black are you a niggler?

Empty space is bad, but I don't see the problem.
Also, it looks different to me, not as bad as in the OP image.

I knew going in not to buy into hype since I've worked at this kind of company before, but they're way more cult-like than I was expecting.

Whenever someone tells a new employee to "ask someone what it means to be Googley" I just bite my tongue, laugh in my head, then take an incredibly expensive nap.

I doubt that would fly obviously, but it's basically whoever starts a club/mailing list for whatever group first.

There's also a thing called "memegen" which is just an internal tool for posting text over images that get shared internally.

>I doubt that would fly obviously

>There's also a thing called "memegen" which is just an internal tool for posting text over images that get shared internally.

Good lord that's cancerous. I was working with a guy in the field from Google who was trying to explain basic shit to me in a completely condescending way before we even started working. He also used the phrase "touch base" like three thousand times in the two hours he was around me. The whole thing was very off-putting. I could practically smell the creepy corporate culture on him.

Didn't intend to quote that first line. Just ignore that.

they are very honest :)

Yeah there's a lot of weird corporate stuff. The worst people are the ones who have only ever worked at Google. They usually go all-out and participate in all the corporate events (even the ones without free booze).

The people who have worked at other tech giants (Oracle, MIcrosoft, Facebook, Amazon, IBM, etc.) seem to recognize it for what it is, which is a company that has a lot of boring work (unless you're lucky), disorganized management, and an obsessive company culture, but pays reasonably well, has fantastic benefits, and doesn't micromanage you.

Either way it's better than my last job, but I'm just chilling until I find the right place to go next.

So glad I'm not the only one.

>If you're gay, you're a "Gaygler

Who fucking cares.

>If you're black are you a niggler?

kek hard,
my sides

>archer

You deserve it.

Don't give a shit. I watch yt videos in mpv and reading comments is for fucktards.

Guy posting Google inside stories - just wanted to say it's pretty interesting so thanks for doing that.

>not using NewPipe

You are literally smurfs

I don't understand what flat design is or why it's bad.

holy kek my sides

the memes are real

What's Newpipe?

Have you thought that these simple layouts might actually work for normal people that dont sperg out over trivial shit like you?
Take a look at google search site. Empty space everywhere. Literally nothing on the whole page and yet its the most popular page going.

Glad you're enjoying it.

Perhaps.

The other thing I guess I didn't mention is that they hate moonlighting/personal projects/etc. They have a very intense non-compete, which applies to anyone outside of California. Employees outside of CA cannot contribute to OSS or release anything that could be considered in their market (which is pretty much everything) while employed at Google.

So obviously I'm not working on any development projects right now.

> I've only been here for two years
Is that you, moot?

Flat design is the absolute lack of 3D effects, including such things as gradients, rounded corners, and anything that might make something "pop out." Individual, solid colors and perfect rectangles only. It's bad because it's boring and ugly. In high school, my web design teacher actually made us do a project with flat design because it's "the way of the future."

>Literally nothing on the whole page and yet its the most popular page going
Because there never needed to be anything on the whole page, retard. YouTube is much more complex, needing the video itself, related videos, the description, and the comments. Leaving a lot of empty space and forcing the user to scroll for more content is just a stupid design choice.

I'm not moot but I missed his speech when he came to visit my office and will forever regret it.

>currently have some horrible bug causing people to lose subscribers in large numbers
>lets fix the UI

>what your mom got last night

github.com/TeamNewPipe/NewPipe
f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.schabi.newpipe

>A lightweight Youtube frontend for Android.
but I don't use Android at all

Then that post doesn't concern you.

How the fuck does a website make itself continuously worse with every new update?

>Flat design is the absolute lack of 3D effects, including such things as gradients, rounded corners, and anything that might make something "pop out."
We need to get balls deep into it and get rid of colors at all.

Flat design makes me feel dead inside, to be honest.

whatever team manages youtube is horrible at their jobs?

Reminder that it's part of the NWO protocol

youtube.com/watch?v=hY0PaHhYKPI

>he thinks that's a bug

Youtube is led by a woman :^)

Does this picture blink for anyone else when scrolling up and down?

if its not a bug its bad algorithm design

No It Hasn't

>4 hours
tl;dr pls.

What I dislike about flat design is that it should be lightning fast. "Draw a blue box here" is an absolutely trivial function for any computer made within the last 30 years, yet these UIs a fucking huge in terms of their footprint on the system.

*mpsyt + mpv + youtubdl
ftfy

>cringy framk

>surely people aren't tired of watching my shitty videos and unsubscribing from my lame ass channel

Stay delusional.

GMail is slow as shit too. I should switch back to using a desktop email client.

I feel it was an overreaction to Scott Forstall taking the skeuomeme too far. They ousted him and at the same time Microsoft actually did something different (albeit terrible) by debuting their flat design. Apple doubled down on flat, once in response to Microsoft and showing they could do it """"better"""" and once to indicate a departure from Forstall. As is often with the case with these things, the response gathered inertia and became it's own more powerful meme and you see the situation today - 'authentically digital' cancer.

Actually I've noticed analogous overreactions in other aspects of global culture. One that particular irks me is the T H I C C meme which to me is a response to the heroin chic look that proceeded it. Kate moss as the figurehead on a diet of cocaine and champagne only to be replaced by an army of silicone """""enhanced"""" booties led by nicki memenaj on another slutwalk: you sure showed us gals

Dynamical systems oscillating out of control with the desire for shekels as the driving force.

in the thousands? per video uploaded?

I'm pretty sure it's real but people have been reporting incidents like this for years now and I've never been affected by it.

Same with that subscriber burn thing where you apparently don't get notified when someone uploads a video if you haven't been watching their videos in a while.

subscriber burns a real thing n it sucks

It's kinda insane if you think about it.

Especially because more and more gaming youtubers, as in the biggest group of youtubers, are switching to Twitch and stuff like vid.me and streamable is also getting used a lot by normal users now.

They've been sitting on their monopoly for a long time now but I honestly think youtube could potentially lose a lot of users soon if they don't start making some good features again.

>Actually I've noticed analogous overreactions in other aspects of global culture. One that particular irks me is the T H I C C meme which to me is a response to the heroin chic look that proceeded it. Kate moss as the figurehead on a diet of cocaine and champagne only to be replaced by an army of silicone """""enhanced"""" booties led by nicki memenaj on another slutwalk: you sure showed us gals

I disagree. You're looking at this from a sociological perspective, but I think it has more to do with biology. Before the whole 'brazilian buttlift' technology, you just didn't have that many women who had these outlandishly huge butts on otherwise thin frames. But now these procedures allow women to 'hack' mens' biology, in the sense that they can now achieve proportions that would otherwise only be present in an incredibly small percentage of genetic freaks.

The funniest thing is, twitch is the worst designed site in a very long time. For fucks sake, only THIS YEAR was html5 vid implemented AT ALL.

i know someone who works there, as a "tech support" for some weird service.
he literally does fuck all for days while getting $55k

>Actually I've noticed analogous overreactions in other aspects of global culture.

You just noticed one of the most common patterns in mankind, your mom must be proud

Not that guy but everything you said also has a societal effect, women trying to be more attractive to their potential partners is an essential part of societal relations between genders, also don't forget that cocaine diet models provoked criticism which led to the media trying to get PR points via criticizing fashion standards which "caused" anorexia on young girls and that also contributed to the thicc meme.

Your entire screen is wasted space

If you're a new Googler, you're a "Noogler." If you have a dog, you're a "Doogler." If you're gay, you're a "Gaygler." If you're old, you're a "Graygler."
So it's basically like Sup Forums calling everyone a somethingfag, only slightly less homophobic and infinitely more obnoxious?

pretty much

There's a lot of things misaligned on that page. Like why is the video title offset down from the bottom of the video player by like 2.5em

HTML video players are garbage.

>not using a custom dark CSS
get cucked faget

But far superior than what was previously available. :)

>Archer
>Fun

A man can dream.... But I guess you meant it as a bad thing eh 20-something faggot?

This is the retarded thing about modern design.

A huge bloated mess...To do absolutely nothing.

>those faggots who upload somethign they didn't make
>put a 2minute long dubstep intro
>then comment about so happy they are for getting 300k views

No wonder they're getting worse. I sort of respect their lack of micromanagement and easy going style, but it seems to only encourage fakes to join the culture and produce nothing innovative or useful.

They almost sounds like a technological aristocracy. If you know enough, and know the right people, you get to do whatever you want in a company that makes money off getting people's attention and tracking behavior.

That's fascinating. I always hated the flat design, and the 'modern' design of websites. They always feel somehow less easy to use, despite seeming more simplified. I can't get to where I want to go easily. It's like they don't want you to find any real information, but they're probably just shit at their jobs.

>he doesn't shitpost in YouTube comments sections
what a Noogler

Apple is the same way. If you're a new Appler, you're a "Nappler". If you have a dog, you're a "Dappler". If you're old, you're a "Grappler". If you're gay, you're an "employee".

not funny

Their recommended videos feed is total cancer.

>when he tries to drag on a joke
*cringe*

i thought it was funny

HAIIIIMEEEE RIVIEIRA