XPS 13

Thoughts?

i want one

It's gud.

Really good if you don't fall for the touch meme.

I just want to let you guys know I'm gonna make this thread over and over and over again until I get some discussion.

have a 2013 xps 13 that i got as a refurb

it's been solid with mint 17.2, gonna upgrade to mint 18.1 tmrw

only thing i dislike is the stupid touchscreen - never use it except accidentally

was waiting to get the new mbp but after the disappointing announcement leaning towards the 2016 xps 13

Got to try it out the other day, damn I wanted it so bad.

Gonna get one in couple of months, non touch FHD model, gonna install Arch on it.

What did you like about it?

Im considering getting a refurb one from ebay. Are 13" screens too small for say, fooling around programming when not at home?
Im considering arch aswell

I got one refurb and I'm a student at CMU, I use it for work while I'm on campus.

If it's good enough for me, it's good enough for an autist like you.

Which xps13?

OP, actual owner of one here. Only difference is mine is 15". First thoughts are it's sexy as fuck and the build is sturdy and doesn't feel like chink plastic shit at all like those thinktops. It's also lightweight which is nice becuase I'm in uni. Screen is awesome. Touchpad is ight, but it's not as good as Macs.

Anyway, the bad. The bios is shit which affects the drivers and annoying stuff happens. For example, sometimes my space bar double spaces which is annoying. And my wireless mouse only works on the right side USB port (WTF?)

TLDR: Sexy, powerful laptop. So close to being perfect. Also, on the expensive side.

Skylake, I'm getting a Kabylake for Christmas though.

9350 model.

13" FHD, no touchscreen. i5 6200u, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD.

stay on 17.2

mint 18 shat the bed.

would love it if keyboard isn't trash

bought a 2014 macbook pro and im happy with it. has everything i need for laptoping, and I already have a desktop and a suite of old thinkpads

Have 9350 FHD

Running Ubuntu 16.10 perfectly. I have it at 125% DPI and have no problem programming on it (I could lower DPI for a couple more vertical lines but it's good). I wish it had an HDMI out though, I cbf to order a USB-C to HDMI dongle.

Also: ~12 hours battery life but I keep it between 20%-80% so I get ~8 or so

I've got the 4k 15" model. Love the thing but the batteries not the greatest.

I'm planning to buy a 9360 next week (i7-7500u, 16gb, 512 ssd). Probably going to install Antergos on it.

if you're buying anything other than the Broadwell version you're throwing your money in the fucking garbage

i'm retarded and lazy so help me please

i bought mine new july this year. what model/cpu architecture would mine be on? still the newest

Ive got one :)
Performance and battery are great and it looks sexy.
Shes already gettin handmarks though because of that ridiculous material they use around the keyboard.

No LTE. It's a deal breaker.

whoops, picture.
sorry for assaulting your eyes like that but also not sorry

Skylake

it's like 5% faster yet costs 60% more just because it's new

>Broadwell version
That's the worst fucking version. Its battery life regresses from the Haswell version and offers not even a nigling amount of performance benefit.

it's Skylake or Kabylake as the only legit versions of the XPS to get.

Go fuck yourself.

>Its battery life regresses from the Haswell version
you got a source on that?
my understanding is that all three models, from Broadwell to Kaby Lake, generally have 10-12 hours of battery life

for a non-touch FHD model the only thing it's missing is Thunderbolt 3

best laptop, its better than any high end macbook, acer, hp or lenovo. but thats just my opinion. x1 carbon is bredi gud too

Thanks mate. It was uni grant money to pay for it so I didn't look too closely at saving money and just went for what I wanted

coil whine

It's a highly rated laptop.
What more do you want?

Use this at work everyday. What would you like to know?

Is there any use for the thunderbolt port, yet?

What do you guys think about the ubuntu developer version?

whats the battery life like?

I have to use it occasionally with my ethernet adapter when diagnosing things. Thats the only use that I've had for it so far.

>ethernet adapter

I just don't like how they falsely advertise it as being bezel-less, there's clearly a fucking bezel.

Yep. Gotta have it.

Dell marketing team pls go

only real uses are for fast storage, display output, docking, and egpu. egpu is basically retarded since the xps 13 only has a ulv internet browser cpu

I'm guessing you don't work in networking

Its size, 13" screen in 12" form factor is pretty nice, trackpad's decent, keyboard's decent, Linux support is decent, battery life is decent, it has pretty much everything I look for in a laptop.

Looked at refurbs, the prices aren't too bad (in the UK), might get one sooner than I planned to.

No TrackPoint. Dropped.

I am not using a trackpad, taking my hands completely off the keyboard, to move the mouse. That is utterly retarded.

Bought one on a amazon lightning deal. Have had it a few days, like it so far. I updated all the drivers soon as I got it. Also I have not heard any coil whine as of yet.

Thinkpad

The absolute best laptop currently available.

No clitmouse, no way.

Fuck off lenovoshits. You thinkshills have done enough damage to this board.
Most real computer professionals use Dells not used, cum encrusted chink laptops.

You realize Dell makes clitmice too, right faggot? I swear, Sup Forums gets more fucking retarded by the day.

Most use latitudes though which bears more similar features to a think pad than an xps literal fagbook clone. Pakistan awaits you Pajeet.

>using mint
why user? WHY?

You're actually brain dead

I like that ice cream sandwich design, but 13 inch is too small for anything. I am getting the 15 version when they jump to the next gen nvidia chips.

Anything but Lenovo is shit.

Spotted a faggot that never actually had to do real work on laptop, and doenst know a difference between meme brand laptop and actual Lenovo Workstation laptops.

There is simply no alternative. Anyone with experience recognizes it.

1 8
H O U R S
O
R
S
B A T T E R Y
A
T
T
E
R
Y

You mean the company that installs bloat onto your machine with updates with no way to stop it?.

This, everyday the same.

>What do you think about the Dell XPS™?
>I bought the new Dell XPS™ and I love it
>Should I get the Dell XPS™? It seems good
>Tfw bought the Dell XPS™
>Not buying the new Dell XPS™
>Find a flaw on the Dell XPS™
>Dell XPS™ why the hell not?

FUCK YOU

I mean the laptops that actually are durable, have comparable to normal workstations performance for ACTUAL tasks like runnign SQL Server, multiple Virtual machines, instances of Visual studio etc. while performing huge ETL on database and comfortly doing other stuff - while having actual huge battery time, with special extended batteries available too.

Plus i can defend myself from enemy in case of attack because it weights like a brick and i can bash them over head with it, or use to protect myself from bullet.

Theres difference between buying laptop so you`d have mobile internet browsing and gaming option, and doing actual work that requires big resources on one.

Dell Precision > W-series ThinkPad.

Go fucking kill yourself.

>W-series
Cant afford a P one, faggot?

>W
Is it 2008?

Spotted the macbabby shill.
You iPajeets start those types of threads all the time for macbooks. XPS threads aren't shilling because there's actually a lot of owners on here enjoying the best laptop you can currently buy.

>I keep it between 20% - 80%
literally autism

but, does this actually work, don't manufacturers do this already with the power board?

Not that guy, but he's right. XPS shills are getting annoying. It's a decent laptop, but every fucking thread someone shows up with "you should get an XPS"

I kinda get the thinkpad threads, because they usually compare features between different models and talk about mods.

That isn't happening with an XPS.

We get it, you like the thing. "Best Laptop you can currently buy" assumes a lot about the user.

Works well for the XPS 13, it is recommended by Dell and it's just a checkbox to enable. You can get around 600 useful cycles out of the battery if you do this rather than 300 charge cycles if you leave it to yourself and Windows.
It has something to do with the battery chemistry that Dell used to squeeze the most amount of Wh per L.

I've been thinking about one, but the Surface Pro/Book line are very good too. And the whole pen thing seems like it'd be nice to have.