Desks

Looking to purchase a sturdy wooden desk.
> I've been using a plastic folding table for a while because it was cheap. pic related
Any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60214183/
amazon.com/Lorell-Rectangular-Shell-2-Inch-Mahogany/dp/B004I2EH14
walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-L-Shaped-Desk-with-Hutch-Multiple-Finishes/17164049
walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Basic-Student-Desk/17479995
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump, I'm in the same boat op.

I'm poor, I use that table in the pic as my dinner table.

lol $30 ikea desk

Build your own

This, if you have the tools, or just buy an IKEA desk.

Any suggestions? 'IKEA' is pretty general

Having no tools is no excuse, Your grandfather would be happy to see you handle something else that a cock and a mouse.

Something at least 1500mm, that fits the decor

That looks pretty shit and working with wood is best left to the gays.

buy an ikea counter and some of the adjustable table legs they have.

Depends on your budget. I got my desk from a place that was going out of business. I got my mom a desk from a garage sale.

Craigslist if you're poor. Furniture place if you're normal.

I'm a carpenter, you fool. If OP wanted to make a decent desk he'd need a circular saw and an impact driver at the very least, plus the stain/finish, sand paper, screws and lumber. He'd also have to make a workbench or two sawhorses.

Then, depending on how he wants to do the surface, he'd have to buy one big solid piece, or glue his own from several strips (which would require additional tools like clamps, wood glue, belt sander and ideally a table saw).

Decent tools alone will cost him over $300 depending on how many (and what quality) he wants to get. He can always 'rent' from Home Depot (buy then return after job is done) but perhaps OP isn't inclined to do all that work for a desk he can buy from IKEA for

OP here, thank you :)

Thank you, sir. The desk looks nice and is in my budget.

I'm watching this thread.

My idea was actually to grab one of the IKEA dining room tables and use that. I just want a large, monolithic desk that is extremely sturdy, and their dining tables do NOT wobble at all. They are probably the most sturdy thing in the whole store.

Can't remember specifically which one but really considering that...

>I just want a large, monolithic desk that is extremely sturdy

ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60214183/

I tried those in store and it didn't seem to impress me all that much. Like the stability was nowhere even comparable to the actual dining room tables.

>tfw you'll never have a huge ass wooden desk like the one at the royal institution
>tfw even if you had one you wouldn't have a place to put it

no wonder I can't get any work done

Uhh yeah, dude, it's not a solid wood table. However, the only reason I recommend it is because I know someone who has one and it feels sturdy.

Maybe the one you saw was assembled in a shit way.

>ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60214183/
>max load 55lbs
Really nigga?

ikea linnmon adils. you can buy the legs and table top separate in different sizes and colors to suit your needs. costed me under $40 for the whole thing.

No I mean it was acceptable but the dining tables have real wood tops too, and were just way more sturdy. And bigger.

PC is close to 60 lbs, it is going on the desk, I want to look at it. Monitors are both on arms, together probably about another 30lbs, then I have a racing wheel I want mounted, plus room to have a laptop, and still have room for papers. Like that desk is just not big enough.

Well, you didn't mention all that. You might be better off getting a custom built table.

55lbs is enough for a monitor and assorted deskware. Unless you're an autist who takes up desk space with something which belongs on the ground.

>55lbs is enough for a monitor and assorted deskware
Maybe for you, not for me. 55lbs is my machine, never mind my monitors.

>Maybe for you, not for me.
Well, then, maybe you should be clear about your requirements before asking for advice.

I didn't ask for advice, I just noted that desk was weak as shit.

user you sure impressed us with how heavy-weight you are, thanks for the contribution.

You got it, dude.

Linnmon/adils from ikea cheap as fuck, even for the 200cm one with 5 legs it's like $40 or some shit different colors and pretty sturdy.

hmm looks decent and its got a good depth. at least the 150cm one looks good enough. probably check it out at the store sometime soon.

amazon.com/Lorell-Rectangular-Shell-2-Inch-Mahogany/dp/B004I2EH14

I use a fold out table works pretty great

Get a nice table cloth and keep using that folding table. Only reason to upgrade to wood is for a smoother top for writing on loose leaf paper but legal pads are a thing so there really is no reason.

this, i have the all black version and it's exactly what i want in a desk. simple and large enough for dual monitors.

I had this for a while and it help up nicely until i decided to move it into another room and it completely fell apart (but that was after 2 years of it sitting)

walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-L-Shaped-Desk-with-Hutch-Multiple-Finishes/17164049

this one isnt wood but alot cheaper, im using it now and it was easy to build and holds up well

walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Basic-Student-Desk/17479995

These desks are pretty cheap and not actually made of wood.

Ikea makes some 120x60cm ish wooden 'Tables' (Under the dinning section of their website) that make wayyyyy better desks.

Source: I have two.

even though they're made of cheap wood they're about 2 inches thick and pretty strong. have my pc and 2 monitors on them and have had no issues.

Get a kitchen table top and buy the regular legs separately, the kitchen tops are the only desks made out of solid wood. Their regular office tables get flimsy as fuck if you put >2 monitors on them/don't tighten the screws every five days

Weighs a ton, easy to assemble, and strong as shit with 1 thick solid wood construction.

I got one and really cant say anything bad about it aside from having to raise the feet to run cables under.

user, do you find it to be cheap quality? I want one, but the cardboard honeycomb insides worry me.

I went to ikea and bought one of their pre made walnut looking wooden counter tops. Then I got a set of hairpin legs and screwed them into the counter top. Presto, amazing looking desk for less than 150.

nope, it feels very solid.

I just ordered some average L shaped desk from amazon for like 100 bucks

gerton table top + godvin legs at ikea, 110 bucks total

Just buy the cheapest desk you can find at a thrift store or something.