Are you still using these?

are you still using these?

>burn backup discs, since they're easy to store, move, and keep off-site
>check out DVDs from the library, rip them to your hard drive

yeah they're still useful

yes
backup old movies, tv shows and games
every 5 years i burn everything

I keep a few with various linux de's, and versions windows and OS for random emergencies, but I also have a few 64gb usb keys for the same reasons. I've used both way more for fixing relative's computers than I have for my own personal purposes.

Portable storage is sort of irrelevant 99% of the time today

Yep, I use them for installing games and watching movies occasionally.

occasionally

CDs? No. Optical media? Yes. M Disc is the ultimate in archival storage.

No, I have 4x 4TB 2,5" HDDs.

Better than burning 3500 DVDs. Or 22857 CDs, kek.

I looked for BD-R disks, and they're 25gb each. So that's 640 disks. Still a lot, but these things are sizable, considering you can get 50 disks for $20.

Yes, i rip music CDs to save the FLACs.

Only like two or three per month though but still.

Because when the cyber Apocalypse arrives the only data that will survive will be ROM data.

I dont know why people still use it. when its life expectancy isn't very long, even with the best conditions given. Unless of course your using mdisc.

yeah I'm getting interested in BD archiving. I hope more people do too, now that information is starting to take legality hits.

YES.

I burned a WHOLE LOT of CDs (and some DVDs) back in the day. I have not used them in YEARS. I guess I stopped burning things to CDs around 2010 or something.

Right now I am in the process of going through them.. so I guess that means I am "using" these as of right now but it will very likely be the last time I see or touch these things, which brings up a more interesting question...

How do you get rid of these things? I know they are mostly plastic but I have also read that they should not be recycled as regular plastic. They are also supposedly not normal trash. So what do you do with these things? Make art? Make DIY lamps?

yes, i installed gentoo on it

I didn't bother installing a dvd drive in my newest rig.

2 years ago I bought a whole spindle at Target just so I could burn a bunch of Emulators and ROMS for this cool old guy I worked with

still have a shitload. I randomly burn movies for friends and family when I'm bored/feeling generous

just made a "Fire in the Sky" DVD with custom Donald Trump themed menu to traumatize my 11 year old nephew for instance

the answer to CD's is burn white power music, label it "R Kelly" or "Snoop Dogg" or whatever kids listen to, and drop them around gas stations in the hood

I work at a SAAS data storage facility, and yes, we use those, or something like them. We have ultra-dense, physical media in huge machines that work kind of like old-timey jukeboxes, where a central arm knows which media contains what data and puts the discs in when data needs to be written or read. Those machines are sealed and filled with an inert gas, and so without light or air coming into contact with it, the life expectancy of the media is extremely long.

Nobody is supposed to put anything on them that is going to be read with any frequency and it's quite expensive to get the data back out - they're meant for extremely long term data storage.

I'm currently trying to install Windows 7 on a computer that has no disk drive and it's not working out so yea I'll probably have to use a disk

Its the best way to archive data.
>cheap
>store in an airtight container so they won't crack and corrode
>when the time comes you can destroy them with a blender with no recovery

I bought a spindle of DVD-R discs in 2006, and I still have a shitload of them. optical media used to be great value for data storage.

I still have a DVD drive, because the drawers in my desk are full of CDs and DVDs accumulated during the last 15 years.

I use them to install Windows because flash drives have never worked for me for whatever reason

Do you use Samsung Magician by chance?

That's what they were saying 10 years ago, except it was floppy drives.

I guess in another 10 years you'll say "didn't bother installing any storage in my newest rig, because muh Cloud(tm)".

There won't be a "newest rig" in 10 years. Just "muh phone".

>this is what retards actually believe

I use them to install Windows because all my flash drives are >16GB and I refuse to waste 3/4 or make 2 partitions and risk losing data if I accidentally fuck up while writing ISO to it

On the other hand I always have DVD-RW laying around ready to use

I bought a spindle last year when my family asked me if I could make the memorial video for my grandmother's funeral instead of using the funeral home's service. I burned copies of it to all the discs on said spindle so people could take copies home with them.

occasionally buy music on CD's
ends up being cheaper to buy it then return it as used versus downloading

>just made a "Fire in the Sky" DVD with custom Donald Trump themed menu to traumatize my 11 year old nephew for instance

Please upload this

Some old motherboards have trouble booting from USB.
And I use them for backups sometimes (in addition to superior backup methods, just for paranoia).

But objectively speaking for most use cases they're pretty much obsolete nowadays.

Yes, for console games.
Because it's cheaper than digital downloads i can resell the disk.

it's literally the Fire in the Sky rip you'll find on TPB, ~800 mb shit quality

i just added a Trump title screen with the headline "Donald Trump presents:" and an instrumental Pink Floyd song playing, it's not as great as it sounds all you can do is press play lol

>he didn't create a cgi model of Trump and edit him in in place of the lead actor

How's it feel to have no talent?