Would AMD dying help or hurt the CPU/GPU industry? They do not have enough capital to compete anymore...

Would AMD dying help or hurt the CPU/GPU industry? They do not have enough capital to compete anymore, and Nvidia's brand loyalty is rock solid.

Would another company buying out AMD solve the issue?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No competition nvidia and intel would stall advancement of technolgy and jew us harder

It wouldnt hurt anything. Everything would remain the same since AMDs assets wouldnt dissapear into thin air like people think, they would be sold off,there would be a different administration, new sticker on your cheap GPUs. Thats it

>implying AMD is worth any competition as it is

Samsung would most likely buy AMD assets, it would be the smarter move of the decade.

Samsung owns their own foundry so the money saving would be insane, not only for their own Cellphones but also for Apple's.

Indeed. Maybe if a large financial backer bought amd they would have more resources to invest in r&d. Right now all nvidia and intel need to do is stay ahead of amd which isnt hard

They've been dying for years.

How would you characterize the current state of the CPU and GPU industry?

It would obviously hurt the industry.

AMD dying = Intel monopoly
Monopoly = high prices for shit products

AMD could still sell cheap shit but the thing is they have so many quality control issues people would rather pay an extra fifty bucks and get intel/nvidia

How do we make amd "great" again?

if dubs stallman dies tonight

it would hurt in the short term but would most likely lead to 2 new players in the dgpu space, intel and whoever buys AMD's IP.

For example what issues?

>Jew meme
Unsanctioned greed is a natural thing in capitalism.

Samsung already produces their own CPUs. What they should do is buy the rights to x64 from AMD and stop licensing it to Intel.

Recently, the RX480 PCIE Power Rail problem, it could have been literally avoided by using 1x8pin instead of just 1x6pin, they probably and most likely went with 1x6pin because 1x8pin would make them look power hungry (which they are) compared to Nvidia's GPU like the GTX1070 which uses 1x8pin.

If the RX480 would have come out with 1x8pin like the GTX1070 does without being as fast at it, it would have make them look bad.

>Would another company buying out AMD solve the issue?
No, it really wouldn't... The only tech company with more money to invest into hardware research and development, but isn't Intel or Nvidia, is Apple and if they buy AMD, they won't be making hardware for any company other than Apple. Some of you may mention Samsung and how much money they pull in and spend every year, but they spend a much bigger portion of their revenue on advertising than the average tech company.

The best thing for consumers would be for Zen and the RX490 to both be successes and fill AMD's coffers with more R n' D money, forcing both Intel and Nvidia to spend more of their revenue on R n' D and less on executive stock options and dividends. Other than that, prices would also end up being lower as they'd have to price their hardware competitively (which they're not doing in the high end CPU and GPU markets right now).

You really have to be an idiot to think less competition would be good for consumers. For consumers the best situation would be one where you have two or more companies competing so hard for marketshare they're barely making any money due to spending so much on developing new products.

Hope and Pray to Kek that Zen is good

Everyone on Sup Forums buying their new CPU and GPUs

>stall advancements of technology
And stall sales too you fucking idiot.

The power rail issue has so far literally caused one failure and even that was highly suspicious as the dead motherboard was a really shitty brand (Asrock IIRC) and seemed to have suffered from liquid damage.

If we're going to talk about issues, need we go into Nvidia's GPU killer drivers? The last time that happened was after all March in this year. How about the exploding GTX 1070 and 1080s from a few weeks ago?

>Would AMD dying help or hurt the CPU/GPU industry?
Yes have you seen Intel and Nvidias prices lately?

Back when AMD could actually keep up in the CPU space the i7 920 came out for like $300 and SHAT over the amd cpus for years.

Now Intel are selling the same CPU's for $500 for a 'unlocked' i7 thats still a fucking quad core thats barely more powerful than that same i7 920 clock for clock except they charge more for it.

Oh whats that wheres the 8 core i5 and i7's? That will be $1500 for the CPU alone + $500 for motherboard and ram that gets changed with a new socket every 3 years and 0 improvements since 2013

AMD kept up in the GPU space until 2014 when they got fucking slaughtered by the 970 and 980 and 980ti and they had nothing to compete so they shat out the half baked 390 which was literallly a overclocked 290 with more vram and then the Furry X that needed a fucking water Cooler and they still couldnt keep up with nvidia

prices spiraled so high nobody wanted to buy their shit so they doubled down with the RX480 and now shit is recovering.

Still having AMD drop out of the GPU and CPU industry would be horrid.

We would be paying 10x the price for the same shit instead of 2x the price for the current shit

AMD also charges extra for an unlocked multiplier.

they dont charge $1000 fucking dollars for a 6 core from 2010 or a $1500 8 core or $2000 10 core glorified unlocked XEON

Absolutely horrendous people defend Intel they have been getting worse and worse since 2010

Only on APUs, and the cost for an unlocked chip also just gets you a better chip all around.

All the FX chips (their mainline) are unlocked, and have all the virtualization features intact.

the blue and green jews have already stalled development or progress, so probably not.

we're stuck with them forever now. good job, retards.

Even if ZEN is complete shit its going to be better for poor and midrange fags than intels horrid overpriced junke

28nm stalled progress more than all 4 of them put togetther

Creative Labs managed to stall advancements for a while yet didn't lose much in terms of sales since everyone didn't have much choice in terms of 'gaymen' soundcards.

Why would you buy a 2010 processor?

An i7 6700k is like 450AUD.

Prices have been dropping lately. I3 6100 is 20 dollars cheaper than an i3 4170 used to sell for.
What kind of fucked up Third World country do you faggots live in where an i7 quad core is 500usd?

You only understand their products and market, and not their operations.

That doesn't make sense. On board audio is good enough even for most advanced users these days, and then why would they upgrade if the new ones weren't better?

>Stall advancement
>Stall sales.

Only a brain dead amd mouth breather would make this argument. Intel and NVIDIA need to release new products to keep sales up. People will only buy the new thing if it's "better" in some way. Power efficiency and better integrated graphics count as improvement. The market would be better if AMDs bloated corpse is thrown out. AMD engages in anti competitive practices. If Intel released their best cpu amd would be wiped out. Because of US gov regulations this is not allowed to happen so AMD must be kept on life support polluting everything with its fetid decaying remains. It needs to be sold to someone who has vision. I will admit competition is better but AMD doesn't provide competition.

>t. intel shill

So your fine with paying $1500 for a 8 Core i7 ?

Fucking retard

That CPU should be $500 max

>On board audio is good enough even for most advanced users these days
Not during the pre-Core 2 Duo era.

> People will only buy the new thing if it's "better" in some way.
No. They'll buy it regardless of it it's old or new because some fags on reddit or Sup Forums said Intel is best for gaymes

Oh.

Yeah now I understand. Sorry, thought it was more recent.

Global Foundries is the real pox on AMD's development
>failed to deliver decent 32nm tech
>failed to deliver good 28nm tech
>failed to deliver 20nm at all
>14nm finally looks decent, but only because of Samsung and IBM directly feeding them tech and research

(((You)))

I forget what the AMD equivalent of IntelME is but if someone bought AMD and made that firmware FOSS, I would buy nothing but AMD CPUs for my machines, regardless of price and power. Fuck Intel and their proprietary horse shit. IntelME is the only thing stopping me from purchasing newer Intel products.

Retard. Intel and nvidia have to compete with their own old products. There has to be some sort of progress. Already amd doesn't offer any competition. Also consumer gayming shit isnt the only market for nvidia and intel. HPC / industry will always buy better shit. AMD is not relevant in those markets. Additionally if intel makes the price too high their sales will decline. 8 core at $1000 is what the market will tolerate. Really its (You) who are too poor to afford a decent cpu and are stuck with bargain bin amd shit.

@57828527
you're not adding this one to your counter.

>stalled progress
Nvidia doubled performance at half the power usage
AMD took 2 years to make a gtx 970 equivalent

whos stalling here???

DELETE THIS

Not him but yeah - Actually in both cases we can reference third party builders. The AMD problems were fixed by non-reference cards (example my Sapphire has an 8 pin) and literally was not a big deal. The Nvidia overheating problem was specifically with EVGA cards so in that case a third party decreased overall "value" of the card.

Apparently like half the people in the /guts/ thread have the same Sapphire 480 that I do so I think it's unfair to say AMD is dying. There's just as many products in the aisles at your computer shops.

KEK HAS SPOKEN.

AMD AND ZEN HAVE BEEN MEME'D INTO GREATNESS

INTEL IS FINISHED

Intel already got trips with the i7-7700k tho

AMD is so bad that the only reason why AMDrones justify buying it is "muh monopoly"

the moment they go out of business a more competent and capable company will replace them

I think you'd have to go back to the golden days of the GeForce 8800 GTX or some shit to have a generational performance leap as large as what NVIDIA just delivered with Pascal. I'm not sure how you can claim they're stalling. Intel? Sure, CPU performance increases have absolutely ground to a near-standstill.

>promised HBM
>didn't deliver HBM
>promised async for 2 generations
>didn't deliver async at all on the first, and then used some shitty software implementation of it for the second
490 is going to BTFO the 1080. screencap this.

>will replace them
Maybe buy them out, I'm not sure what company has the tech required to actually stand a chance of competing otherwise. I don't think anyone can just pull a GPU design out of their ass and beat NVIDIA (or even AMD) in the high-performance market in a short period of time.

>Kek worship has become associated with alt-right politics

top lel

>490 is going to BTFO the 1080. screencap this.
How exactly is it screencap worthy? AMD is going to release a card what, almost a year after the 1080 came out and beat it? That's newsworthy to you? A new card is faster than last year's model? That's supposed to be special or something? How the fuck could it possibly be slower if it comes out one year, or 10 months, later?

lol, that's because Nvidia is so confident in their superior product that they rebrand lower-end shit to the high end. The 980 should have been a 960. The 980Ti blew it the fuck out.

And yet none of that shit mattered because Nvidia blows AMD away in performance and efficiency

>stop licensing it to intel.
Ok? But wouldnt intel just stop licensing x86 to them then?

Eh, they've kind of had a slot above the fastest x80 card for a while now, it used to be dual-GPU and ranges at least as far back as GeForce 7000, so I don't think comparing those x80 cards is unfair. The very high core clock that Pascal can maintain make it significantly faster per shader than Maxwell and the node reduction further helps by allowing more actual shaders to be crammed in.

By your logic the 1080 should also be called a 1060 instead, because the Titan XP exists. The only reason a 1080 Ti doesn't exist is because it doesn't need to - NVIDIA already has the high-end and doesn't need to worry until AMD actually tries to compete. It's not related to Pascal on a technical level though, it's not like the 1080 is "full Pascal" while the 980 isn't "full Maxwell", neither of them are "full", so comparing a 980 to a 1080 is perfectly fair as a comparison of the generational performance leap.

>performance and efficiency
>490 is going to BTFO the 1080 AND 1080ti
>caring about efficiency
what's it like to be poor?

Add another year of driver fixes.
It will competitive with the 1080 a year from now.

>he counts an @ as a (You)
pathetic

Thats what you think AMDtard.

Amd dies. Nvidia has monoply. what happens to monoplys. under trump not shit. they rule them all, we all pay whatever they want or use old hardward

>ompared to Nvidia's GPU like the GTX1070 which uses 1x8pin.
My GTX 1070 has 2 8pin connectors

>>>/reddit/

>Would a monopoly hurt an industry?
Are you fucking stupid?

Nvidiots need the gas.

Thanks for the (You) retard. I love counting (You)s its just like upvotes on reddit EXCEPT ITS SO MUCH BETTER BCS NO DOWNVOTES xD.

Genuine kek. Thanks.

I dont see how this negates anything i sais, unless you are talking about the supposed anti-jew operations in which case you are retarded.

(You) seem pretty cool :D. Do (You) want my (You) counting script? It keeps a database of posts and replies. I was training a neural network on posts which reaped the most (You)s.

Fuck off with this autism.

Kill yourself, shit for brains.

with no AMD Amada will be homeless and forced to star in doujins

amd's gpus are more powerful than nvidia's gpus

nvidia's perform better for other reasons

>other reasons
Drivers. That's why AMD managed to catch up with dx12 and sometimes even overtake Nvidia.

> (OP)
>It would obviously hurt the industry.
>AMD dying = Intel monopoly
>Monopoly = high prices for shit product

>implying Intel aren't already doing this with karby lake with hardly any actual benefits compared to last gen

Don't forget goyworks.
No thank you. I like counting my own.

How could it possibly help?

>homeless and forced to star in doujins

Sounds like a good doujin.

x86 is not licensed, AMD reverse engineered it ages ago. x86 is really old.

>So your fine with paying $1500 for a 8 Core i7 ?

5960x and 6900k are both $1000, not sure where you're getting $1500 from.

>That CPU should be $500 max

products are priced based on what people are willing to pay for them, if people didn't buy them then the prices would be lower.

>The power rail issue has so far literally caused one failure and even that was highly suspicious as the dead motherboard was a really shitty brand (Asrock IIRC) and seemed to have suffered from liquid damage.

that's just one failure from someone who was smart enough to realize the new GPU caused it, to a layman who just put the new AMD GPU reddit told him to buy into his shit pc it would just end up blamed on a poor psu or motherboard or similar meme.

>If we're going to talk about issues, need we go into Nvidia's GPU killer drivers?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

They cant, 86 64 is licensed to amd and intel on the agreement that both stay in competition

It would be even worse than this.

nice reddit article and just-so-ism friend.

It would help a lot once they die, everyone can switch to superior power efficient Intel & Nvidia products and reduce power demands across the world, reducing global warming

kek has spoken

if amd ever disappeared then courts would break up nvidia under monopoly laws. then we'd have real competition in the marketplace, instead of "your only option is nvidia, unless you're looking for an mid/entry level card. Then it's like 50/50"

yes that would absolutely definitely positively happen, that wouldn't take years of litigation at the very least.

>the dead motherboard was a really shitty brand (Asrock IIRC)

How does it feel to be stuck in 2007?

Vega had better be good. I want a FreeSync 144 Hz IPS monitor and at the moment there isn't anything recent from AMD that'd run that. Fuck paying another £200 for nVidia lock-in tech.

>x86 is not licensed, AMD reverse engineered it ages ago.
You're an idiot, stop posting.

>would AMD dying help or hurt
I don't think it would do anything

we've gone beyond insanity when it comes to brand loyalty and wasting our money