blog.cryptographyengineering.com,
utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog,
blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline,
msitpros.com/?p=3040
linuxliveusb.com/
vine.co/v/5nEIOhWJgtm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What is love?

To connect with someone outside of typical social narratives.

baby dont hurt me

Is there a new thread notifier for Sup Forums? Like when a particular thread gets created, I get a notification and it gets added automatically to the thread watcher if possible

what are some rss feeds you guys subscribe to?

Well that covers a lot of ground.

Schneier on Security (schneier.com, Bruce needs no introduction)
A Few Thoughts on Cryptographic Engineering (blog.cryptographyengineering.com, he doesn't update often but when he does, it's good)
Chris's Wiki Blog (utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog, a university sysadmin posts about stuff he does)
In the Pipeline (blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline, about chemistry, and especially drug discovery and the pharmaceutical industry. That's technology enough, right?)

So, asides from speeds, what's the issues with mixing dual channel ram kits?
Say, if my system is running at 2x8gb @1600mhz sticks, and I add a kit that's 2x8gb @2133mhz, I know that the new, faster kit will default to the lower 1600mhz, but should increase the capacity to 32gb.

Because I've mixed ram in my spare parts computer that my little brother's using (2x1gb + 2x2gb ddr2 kits), and have 1x4gb &1333mhz + 1x2gb @1600mhz DDR3L sticks in my laptop and they both are fine, running at 1333mhz.

Asides from speed levelization, what issues should occur?
What's the stigma behind it?

>Asides from speed levelization, what issues should occur?
Nothing.
>What's the stigma behind it?
Speed levelization and meme tier freak-outs from people that color code their cables.

Are screen panels that share the same specs, size, and connections more or less interchangeable?

Ie. a Lenovo branded 1368x768 11.6" 30pin being the same as a Acer 1368x768 11.6" 30pin? Any other subtle differences I should be aware of other then mounting bracket locations?

How do I change the name of this?

Alright, so, I'm in need of a laptop and I want something with an active pen digitizer, since I like to draw and generally do art.
I currently have an x220 tablet, but with all the issues I've been having with it, I'm thinking about throwing it on ebay if I can find something better.
(issues: screen pressure spots, brittle and creaky plastics, rubber trim pieces falling off, very inaccurate digitizer, meh performance, chugs in applications like photoshop, 2.5-3.5 hours of battery life on power saver mode, etc)

The Elitebook 2760p looks seems to be better built, but has most of the same issues, the Dell XT3 is supposedly a time bomb before the digitizer dies, and the x230t is the same as what I have, just with a better cpu/graphics.
I don't mind buying used if it's in good shape, I just want something that'll work, and if new, I'd want decent warranties or support if in case something goes wrong, which is why I ruled out the Cube i7 stylus, as decent as that seems.

Anyone know of any good laptops or tablets (better than this at least) with an active digitizer for

I wouldn't worry about your RAM. Ram whatever in there. You'll never notice outside of complete extremes.

have you considered a stand alone wacom tab that plugs into your laptop? they got great linux compatibility

My grandma has been complaining about not having a camera. She needs to be able to get the pictures onto facebook and computer, maybe onto here fire tablet. She is like 95% incompetent with technology, so ease of use is HUGE. What should I get her?

a phone

judging by my mom, who can't seem to understand "take out the SD card, plug it into this reader, put it in a USB port, use it like a flash drive"

And when I say incompetent, I mean she called a phone number from a pop up that said she had a virus and let some pajeet remote into her computer and install god knows what.

install ublock origin on every device your immediate family owns, suddenly i never have to fix anything.

She's on vista and had windows security essentials for some reason, she had avira or avg last I knew. I installed avira and malware bytes, ran scans. I'll consider that though for next time.

Should I get a 470 or a 480? I can technically afford both but 60 bucks saved is 60 bucks earned. I don't game that much but I'd like to have to option available.

How do I stop this? I did a manual shutoff of the "activation" process, but it's still pulling this shit, and the "activator" doesn't work on my machine because of the partition I used. Is there another way to Make windows shut the fuck up about this?

Killing off the shitty ads that deliver malware blocks the problem from even happening in the first place. The worst is those crappy pop ups that look like a windows directory "FULL OF VIRUSES".

Just wanna thank this guy
I'll suck ya dick whenever bby no homo

I'll probably do that, but I have a feeling that she clicked on something from facebook or email. She said the pop up said she had a clampi worm, and if she did the pajeet's super-anti-malware (literally what it was called) actually did help her because malwarebytes didn't find that at least.

Fuck activators, cracks and all that BS

Install OEM cert
activate with OEM key

msitpros.com/?p=3040

I have a hard drive partitioned to C and D. C is where windows 7 is at and D has some 200gb of random stuff.

I'm planning to install 8.1. Is it safe to just leave D as it is or do I transfer them first and nuke the whole HD before installing?

spend 30 bucks on a raspberry pi and make a cheap adtrap

is there a way to safely erase files from an android phone (i.e. make them hard to recover)?
I feel weird handing down a phone knowing that somewhere in there, there are still private pictures and documents buried

only 90's kids will remember being virgins till their 20's

you SHOULD be able to leave D alone, but I don't know how much customization the windows installer allows. Do advanced options on the installer, and it should let you. If you have anything encrypted in D: you might have an issue if you don't back up the key.
Look for a file shredder or maybe ask the guy at a phone store what they do when someone trades up.

how the fuck do install a new operating system on my laptop? i keep getting "no bootable media detected". am i just doomed to be stuck with W10?

you might be stuck without an OS if it says no bootable media. Did you make the disk/thumbdrive bootable when you put the installer on it and did you disable safeboot?

who pre-internet brain here?

reset it and then fill out the on board memory and then reset it again

70s kids > all

yes. i installed the bootable media using both rufus and lili and i disabled secureboot and enabled legacy bios mode on the laptop im trying to install this on. it still said no bootable media. funny thing is, it does this even in virtualbox so i figured it's a corrupt iso and redownloaded but to no avail; it still says " no bootable media" when simply mounting the fucking iso.

i did this with arch, debian, and plan9. i don't know what else to do ;-;

In java how do I write to a file, close the file, then reopen the file and print out its contents?

I've been trying to figure this out for 2 hours now and i can't get anything to werk :^(

Thanks

ur pre-brain

Just for clarification, I know how to write to a file.

but closing it then reopening it and printing its contents is what i do not understand.

Your laptop may not have bios support for USB booting or enabled? If that's not the case, I'd try remaking the install media.

Question:

If I want to set up a vpn mainly just so I can interact between my home desktop and my laptop whenever I'm away, is there any advantage to hosting the vpn on a raspberry pi (or similar) rather than the desktop, since the desktop will need to be always on anyway?

Would I only want to host it on the pi if I had multiple home computers and didn't want all of them turned on (basically consolidating the vpn host, and saving power, etc. by using the pi)?

that's the worst thing, I reset an old HTC One S (assuming you're not talking about something other than the "reset to factory settings" function), and photos etc were untouched

are there settings other than fat32 i should know of for making a linux bootable usb?

There may be a checkbox that says something about making it bootable that has to be checked. FAT32 would be the appropriate file system.

When I boot up my build for the first time, how do I get bios to launch? Settings will default for the mobo? Do I need a disk drive for the build?

Once that is done, can I install Windows first and then partition or partition first and then install?

M5a99 r2.0 mobo
8370 cpu
Gigabyte 1070 g1 gpu
16 gb ram 4x4gb sticks

reset
encrypt
erase

or
reset
fill it with junk
erase

can you try this program? linuxliveusb.com/

Don't hurt me, no mo

that's actually what i meant by lili. i still didn't get it to work.

i'm going to try rufus first then lili again. here are my settings. is there anything blatantly wrong?

desktop thread?

Looking more and more like its indeed something weird with the laptop itself, whats the model?

A question for Texans (or people from states with a deregulated electricity market). I sold my house a couple of months ago and the new owner moved in at the beginning of November. I signed a contract with an electric company to deliver electricity to this property for 9 months and this contract it's about to expire. Because of this contract and the timing of the sale it was cheaper for me to keep the service under my name and pay this last month for the new owner than face the early termination fees. Now that the contract is about to expire I wonder if I have to call the electric company to tell them I won't be renewing or is it enough if the new owner calls whatever new, or even the same, electric company to get a plan that works for him.

My fear is that because I didn't call to cancel, once he enrolls with the company of his choice both of us will be billed. Pretty stupid if you consider each home has a unique ESIID, but still what if he picks the same company.

hp g088ca

i'm installing Fedora over my Slackware install. After it rebooted the computer, I got put back to LILO, despite the fact that Fedora doesn't use it. I tried to boot linux but it failed. However, booting another kernel that I had for my old slackware install (that didn't get to X before, I might add) WORKED and despite the fact that wireless wasn't on and my displays were mirrored (and it only detected one, for some reason) It booted into the old mainline kernel. Lilo gives me a weird error when I booted the Linux option. My question is, why isn't Fedora deleting LILO and installing GRUB. I've installed all my OSes on this computer under BIOS (Windows, and broken Fedora)

uh oh i found a baddy mcsectoroonies.

what do?

Is that your home folder? Change the user's name if so.

the '90s were a real goldmine. You could've hitched a ride off the dot-com hype and became an "overnight" success. If you were to lazy or dumb to make your own company, you could've invested n google and such and again made some dank cash. Yet again, if you wanted to be an entrepreneur, you could've spent 6 years following the dot-com crash to learn how people made fat stacks off of the early internet and applied it to the smartphone market by making flappy bird or some shit like that(or again invested in something)

While hindsight is always 20/20, the fact remains that people who lived in the 90's and didn't live in Yugoslavia at the time could've made it really big

I think the point is about beliefs and culture, not possibility.

You think we'll ever see a time like the 90s again? A feeling of optimism permeating the country, a roaring economy and job market, the future seeming exciting instead of threatening?

Gonna ask again since I didn't get an answer last thread

pic related is my case, I have 4 available 120mm fans. The standard is 1 intake in the front and 1 exhaust at the back. Where should my other 2 go?

Probably. When we'll see it is the big question.

I remember all that stuff about the 90's too (also, I'm not that other user), and how even with the Balkans and a few other places being a mess it's shocking to think how much more peaceful the 90's was than it is now.

Also it's fucking crazy realizing I watched terrorists go from shitty VHS videos carried out of the desert via multiple couriers and dropped off at a random news office, to seeing them using go-pro cameras and having a competent AV department, as well as using fucking Facebook as a recruiting tool.

The early 2000's were alright as well, but I guess a slide has to start up high.

I would get a new flash drive. You might be able to reformat it to correct bad sectors and try putting the installation media on it after

intake. If you've got a hot GPU put one on the bottom, if you have more stuff that you want specifically cooled in the front do both there. You'll get a positive air pressure which for some reason is desirable.
If the CPU fan pushes air up it might be worth it to do a second exhaust to help pull some of that air out.

Why is thumbs up considered good and thumbs down considered bad?

The thumb facing upwards is a much more natural motion for a human. But I'm just making up reasons.

Because heaven is up and hell is down.
Actually, it probably happened because large quantities pile up and having large quantities of things tends to be good.

Does Sup Forums have a standard for e-readers? considering getting a kobo or nook. are there significant difference wrt muh freedoms? I'm not that interested in chinese cartoons, but university lecture .pdfs are important

pic unrelated

for pdf's you are much better off with a tablet or an e-reader with a large screen. E-readers in general do not have sufficient processing power to smoothly read a pdf.
I have a kobo-mini and the thing is nice. Fits in a pocket.

Another intake on the right, exhaust on the bottom.
Position the fans at the front so each exhaust is getting roughly 50% of the airflow each. All rounded airflow should work. If not, modify accordingly.

exhaust on the bottom would probably be detrimental to GPU cooling.

>You'll get a positive air pressure which for some reason is desirable.
I spent a while on this 6 months ago when building my current computer, obsessing about doing it perfectly since it had been 10 years since the last attempt. Cases aren't air tight and there will always be cracks and holes where air will be able to circulate through despite your fan setup. Positive air pressure means air is always coming out of those holes, instead of in through them, meaning most of the dust that gets into your computer will be in only a few places (depending on fan setup), and for anything 120mm or less you can get reusable filters that can eliminate it almost entirely.

>tl;dr
It helps with dust control

I have 6 fans. My case came with 5 so it was easy for me. The two on the top are out-take, and everything else is in-take, even the back (which is 6" from the wall) because that's where my radiator is. Since it's right next to the out-take fans, the heat from the processor gets sucked right out, and ambient temperature doesn't rise above 25 Celcius on a warm day.

The other fans are bottom-front and front-bottom, as well as a 200mm fan on the side which pretty much has its air flow split in half by my graphics card, which I figure is probably good for it.

pic related

sounds loud to be honest. I don't care about temperatures any more as long as it's staying under 65-70 on full load.

Actually the fans that came with the case are whisper quiet, it surprised me too.

The ones on the radiator are a bit, and I think I'm going to dial them down to medium and monitor heat levels for a few days to see if everything is fine. I really suppose I shouldn't be worried since the CPU hasn't gone above 40 C since I've been running it.

old yarvik e-reader
everything is displayed the same, chunky pages
but it works, cost 30 bucks and lasts several weeks with daily usage before bed

I recently put together a small 90W pc and it is near silent with a single 55mm fan on the CPu at 700RPM and stays under 40 C at all times. I thought my desktop was quite until I had this reference. Most of the fans in my desktop are advertised as somewhere between 15 and 18 Db, and there are 4 (Rear exahaust, front intake, side intake, and CPU).

This is gonna be a tarded question but here goes. What's the demand like for cyber security professionals (especially in Australia) and will a Bachelor of IT be sufficient to get into the industry?

I'm an electrician in mining and I'd like to change industries.

I have an inuos3 small and large, and a turcom cheapo tablet, they're nice but I just cannot get coordinated with it, I've tried for years and I can kinda get things done with it, but it's no where near as accurate or easy as with a digitized display, just gets frustrating when you have to keep ctrl+z-ing to correct lines or fucked up strokes.

Also I don't care much for linux on my laptop as there's not many drawing applications that work on linux, it's either, sai through wine or play-on-linux (I've done it, pressure is a pain when it decides to just not work), krita a shit, and gimp + a plugin means that I have to use gimp.
Also most linux environments aren't touch friendly, and I do like using the touchscreen on my laptop and using it in tablet mode.

Blame greeks

in general demand is high for cyber security, but the work is mostly in prevention and not cyber-sluthing. A degree in IT is not really right but you could probably manage if you have an understanding of some programming languages and how hackers and viruses get into and damage computers.
I'm not in cyber security, I'm in robotics, but I went to a school with one of the top cyber security programs in the world (8th in the world, 2nd in the US) so consider that my credentials to answer your question.

>friend buys something on craigslist, sellers gives him a bunch of free hard drives (literally a whole bag full, probably leftovers from an office or something)
>gives me one
>try it out when I get home, computer doesn't boot
>try using different SATA cables in case the cable is bad, nothing works
>give up and declare it dead
>Wire everything back to normal
>still having issues, will boot but Windows runs like shit
>make sure all my connections are fine, still feels sluggish
>reinstall Windows, everything is fine
What the fuck? I think the problem MAY have been that I switched the SATA port on my SSD with my OS installed when I was messing around with my drives. But why would Windows get triggered by me simply switching the SATA port? Everything seems to work fine now, I probably could have just switched cables back to how they were but I didn't think of it until it was too late.

would this be a decent purchase? right now im just using a simple logitech H390 for Skype calls, nothing fancy.

>plugging random shit into your PC
here's the problem

drive could have had electrical issues which would have fucked up your sata controller.

>$26
Who cares, buy it

Fair enough but I'm just not sure how plugging in a dead HDD nuked my Windows install.

what this guy said

run a benchmark and check speed results

I honestly think using a phone just to take pictures would be a poor option since she pretty much only uses a landline
> Charge every day if you want to take pictures.
> How do I get to the camera app
> What's it doing now?
> She'd probably manage to let some virus app to install and root the thing.

So following this guide is working up to the point where I put the cert and the key in. It's saying to go to
c:\windows\system32\oem\
But I don't have an oem folder in system32?

A social construct. You white males should know better than to ask such oppressive questions.

>be me get bored one day
>take usb out of drawer
> get idea decide to install osx sierra because im bored
> so i install trans mac and format my usb
>now installing os sierra iso file
> extracting to certain folder made for it

now what do i do now, do i select the restore with disk image option or do i have to take things further

So whenever I connect to a server using weechat it says I am root@pc - that makes no sense since I am clearly logged in as someone else, I have no root privileges and didn't start weechat using sudo. How do I fix this?

vine.co/v/5nEIOhWJgtm

Well first things first run some commands and see if you're actually root.

How to fix this?

I have. I've run whoami and it says I'm my user name. Everything else thinks I'm that user - including my shell. For some reason weechat thinks I'm root though?

Use Firefox

Whenever your girlfriend is willing to eat your asshole and it's dirty.