Receivers

why are they so expensive?

then don't even come with the speakers and cost $500 wtf senpai

just buy them used. it's a receiver.

At least 5 amplifiers, quite a bit of electronics to handle all the DSP, shitloads of inputs and features.

Wouldn't be suprised if half the price of Japanese receivers is just paying for the shipping from the factory in Japan.

I got this baby cheap on eBay.

Pioneer Elite vsx-44 $129.99, remote $19.39
$149.38

Missing a front dial, which I have yet to find anywhere else.

wot is that

$500 is considered mid range at best.

$1300-2000 is where you find the flagship models

13.2 channel, Dolby Atmos, etc. HDMI 2.2, 4k upscale, etc, etc.

This. The amplifier sections require quality components that can handle a lot of idle current for long periods of time in a passively cooled enclosure.
And modern ones have about a dozen different boards all crammed together and have to be altered every time they update to new standards and add support for new features.

But like the other guy said just buy a used one. You can find a top of the line model from like 3 years ago for $100-200 if you're patient.

you must be 38 or older to post here.

because there is a shitload of analog circuitry and that shit is
>hard as fuck to design
>expensive to manufacture

>13.2 speakers
teach me of your ways

jesus christ, look at this beast

>Height 1
>Height 2

Jesus fucking christ. And I thought my 7.1 sony receiver was the shit

seriously

I'm just finding out DTS:X is a thing

I have 2 Onkyo receivers, they are amazing.

>analog
>hard to design

Just get a pcb and slap some mixers, active filters, a preamp, and a power amplifier stage on the output and you're pretty much done. There's a tiny bit more subtly than that but it's really not that hard.

You could easily build your own receiver, scaled down in I/O of course unless you have a lot of time to waste, but would effectively function the same as a $500+ receiver. Could probably be done for under $50

except you wouldn't be able to handle all of the sound formats

audiofags, people

the purest, unrefined form of autism, we're talking pre-cut autism crystals here

learn from this thread, and do not replicate or buy what you see here

if your definition of an audiophile is "owning a surround sound receiver" I don't really know what to tell you

People who buy high end receivers are just like the fags who buy those fatality1 sound cards. Just get something mid range enjoy. Having some retarded setup like 7.2 is a meme. 5.1 has been and will always be the best way to experience surround sound.

how?

all receivers do is power speakers and redirect sound... every receiver does the same thing desu except some have more plugs than others

I thought that until I got 7.1. I would agree that anything more than that is probably a pretty big meme, but having a height dimension does make a difference.

Only for film though, not for music. For music it makes no difference.

Well then you have to compromise. Settle on the one's most useful for your system and ignore the rest. Throw some RCA and TRS connectors on there and ignore all that other shit. You don't need HDMI, that's all digital audio. You need decoders and DACs. You can't be bothered with that nonsense so fuck it. Optical? Does anyone use fucking optical. No. Ditch it.

The great thing about designing your own circuit is you can create it to fit your needs exactly. You don't need to add all the extra shit that you'd pay for and never use on a consumer unit. You can also add features that consumers units don't typically have but you want.

get those sweet 70s receivers at the thrift store.

The HDMI ports will blow soon

I have a richfag friend who's dad has a 7.1.4 setup with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, 120" FHD projector, nice ass seats, etc.

Its pretty fucking stunning, the only other way to get this shit is if you have a theater around you with the new Dolby Atmos or similar sound systems. But not too many theaters have them.

I use a 20+ year old pioneer receiver and it still works great.

>Dolby atmos
>only running 13.2

Why isn't there 13.2.4 at least

Oh man, speaking of this, my rich uncle has a full theater at his house. Like, not a home theater, but exactly the same hardware that real movie theaters have, from sound to the digital projector, a massive screen (he gutted a two story guesthouse to build it), and the whole server rig that theaters have along with the subscriptions to allow him to stream any current-run movie. It's absolutely insane.

In case anybody's wondering how/why, BTW, he's a founding partner at one of the world's top talent agencies. (Won't say which one, but it's in the top 3.)

Or do what i did

>get Ancient 4 way floor stander Akrons from the 70's
>Get a modern Amp
Sounds amazing.

Vintage receivers are mainly junk and get raped by the quality of 2009+ modern digital amps

Just get something used with toslink and enough power for your needs.

AV equipment also usually goes on clearance sales around March, but it seems like a poor decision to buy an HDMI reciever when HDMI 2.1/dynamic HDR10 is just around the corner..

You just plug all the vidya wires to your TV and send all audio to DAC.

>expensive
in what world? they do so many things that ive always considered them to be amazing value in nearly every common price point.

captcha: yamaha

You really need a receiver? Just get a amp.
I mean, what else then your computer are you going to plug into it anyways.

People buy headphone amps for $200, and a $500 receiver with 7+ amps with loads of features is somehow expensive?

Wow, keep that thought, and go to /o/ and ask the same thing why domestic cars somehow are cheaper than EU/JP cars even if they have less horse power.

I know that feel.
The moment I bought mine, they released the 2313C, while not comparable to the RZ3100, there's always something better out there, especially after you buy what you thought was the best for the price.

it depends on the receiver, plebe