/hpg/ - Headphone General - Beats Version

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-PS4/dp/B00SAYCXWG?th=1
harmanaudio.com/Y50BLK.html?CJPID=CJ
docs.google.com/presentation/d/1wi8M-HSeK0JF33P-5ypydQjQ4OshRQhvWM0IX2h0NQ8/edit?pli=1#slide=id.p
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for definitive list

Denon is fucking garbage.

k7xx or k712?

No

the k7xx is cheaper

this list is full of bright Sonigger shit, take it back

I work for Bose, and let me tell you, they are shit and they will fail within the warranty period. Guaranteed.

K712, ignore the golden ears who rage about its "colored response", most people's hearing has more variation than it does. They're comfy as fuck and they sound fantastic.

>tfw bought k612 almost a year ago
>tfw comfy, not too expensive, and slightly more neutral than k7 series

maybe I shoulda waited on the amp/dac instead of buying fiio chinkshit tho...

not that its bad, but i wonder how something else woulda made it sound like

Didn't realise there was a new thread

What difference do these make?

Are there any decent Bluetooth headphones under $100?

look up your receiver and see its max bitrate supported

Thanks

Do I select all of them up to the maximum or just the maximum?

well, assuming it supports 96kHz, I would assume it would work with everything below it

>Budget: Flexible, but what I want should be under 200, and I do like saving money. Under 100 is also cool
>Location: US
>Source: A laptop.
>Type of headphone: full-sized. These are for home, not travel.
>Open or closed: Closed. I don't want anyone understanding what I'm listening to in the same room, and no one hearing what I'm listening to from outside the room. Anything more and I feel like a dick.
>Comfort level: Headpats and handholding tier. I do not understand the concept of tolerating uncomfortable headphones.
>Sound signature: neutral? So long as I'm not getting distortion listening to music of varying genres, explosions, and nature sounds, I'm good.
>Past headphones: Razor Carcharias, HyperX Cloud 2 (current), Panasonic RP-HJE120-K (public)

I'm not enough of an audiophile for high end to make much difference. So long as I'm not getting distortion listening to music of varying genres, explosions, moans, and nature sounds, and no one else can listen to what I'm listening to, I'm good.

The big thing is that I want to get a wireless set. I've rejected them on sight before, but lately the presence of a cord really bothers me. The HyperX set is perfectly fine for when I’m going to sit in one place for a couple hours or chatting on Skype, and the choice it gives between a short cable or a long one is awesome, but I want something I can wander around a room and do chores and stuff while wearing.

Buying headphones as a gift for someone so I don't know exactly what they need.

>Budget
$375USD, hard limit

>Location
Canada, $500CAD budget

>Source
Different Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod)

>Type of headphone
Full-sized

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
As high as possible. There would need to be a significant sound quality increase in order to sacrifice comfort

>Sound signature
Not important, but I guess neutral

>Past headphones
Their previous headphones are full-sized Bose. I don't know the exact kind, but they're quite worn down from age and use

Wireless is greatly preferred. Thanks guys.

What yall nigs think of this?

amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-PS4/dp/B00SAYCXWG?th=1

Oppo PM-3

ath msr7

or

mdr v6/7506

>Budget
$150 CDN max

>Location
Canada

>Source
Laptop

>Type of headphone
Full

>Open or closed
Doesn't matter

>Comfort level
Probably the most important requirement

>Sound signature
Not entirely sure although preferably something with not too much treble

Was going to get either MDR 7506s or m40x but after doing some research it seems they're not really for what I'd be using them for which would be casual music listening/movies etc.

I've had that since /hpg/ recommended it back in February, and have zero complaints aside from the existence of a cord; see:
It's a fine headset. Shop around a bit, though; I got Best Buy to price match the Amazon used price, which was around 67 at the time, I think. Check camelcamelcamel.

I almost got the mdr, but I needed a mic. Now I need a wireless set.

A-are the HD202II bad?

I thought I would just be using my OriGen+ for music, but 10 minutes of tweaking it with MPC has fixed every single audio and video problem I've had. Amazing.

>MPC

MPC + KCP

even worse jesus christ

What's wrong with it. Stop shitposting.

>cancer tier codec pack with outdated filters for a shitty player
retarded and unknowledgable on the subject, yet still autistic enough to use an anime codec pack.

Stop shitposting.

it's not shitposting just because you ignorantly disagree with it

You're shitposting because you showing off your hot onions without even trying to defend them.

i'm stating the facts, instead of being overly aggressive in your non-existent defense why don't you actually research something for once in your life

>facts
No you aren't. Stop shitposting.

the fact is you don't know what you're talking about, you using a codec pack is all the acknowledgement needed to allude to said fact

Not an argument either. Stop shitposting.

They compare well to M40x. Stock pads are better too, but the headphone doesn't fold or have a removable cable. Clouds are built better as well. Take that as you will.

Cable is well braided though, so I can't see it breaking easily, and even then its a fucken cable. EZ fix if you know how to solder.

Hell, slap some HM5's and do a removable cable mod, and you've got a lifelong headphone.

you are aware that spam is against the rules, right?

This isn't spam, it's acknowledging what you are.

posting the same thing repeatedly and not providing anything of value is considered spam

may i suggest you stop that

You are doing the exact same thing.

>he's still doing it
holy shit if you've got nothing valuable to contribute to the thread leave already, you stupid newfag

I currently have a shit set of headphones. Want to get better ones.

Took a look at some guides, leaning toward Status CB-1 or NVX Perfect 10.

Budget is

reccing beyerdynamic custom one pro plus, ive had them for about 8 months and they're really good

>NVX Perfect 10
God, I forget how retarded NVX is with names

Either way, the XPT-100 is a very neutral headphone. That said, apparently they've gone down in quality according to a lot of people recently. I'd get the Brainwavz HM5 over the XPT-100 just as safety measure.
Not sure about the CB-1, but from just reading quickly they seem to be a bit more V-Shaped
Another option would be M40x + HM5 pads. Slight V-shape but still fairly neutral for a closed can.

All good options though

>>Location is Hamburgistan.
So... Germany, or the US? If you're 'murrican, Hamburg is an actual place, you fucking retard, and you meant Burgerstan

Can second this. I prefer them to my DT770's just because the highs are slightly less sibilant. Stock pads are less breathable but give a slightly punchier and faster sound. Sub is better too. Swap the pads onto 770's and you get the same effect tho.

Also they look fucking god tier.

>you fucking retard
not denying it.
I'm from the US, though.
Thanks for the recs. The M40x seems to be really good. Why get the HM5 pads, though? Are the stock pads uncomfortable?
Again, thanks, you've been quite helpful.

>Why get the HM5 pads, though? Are the stock pads uncomfortable?
You got it right on. Stock pads on M40x/M50x are some of the worst stock pads you can get, especially for their price.
The only pads i've used that are worse are on cheap superlux, which they make up for on insane price to performance ratio.

You probably won't /hate/ them if you've never used anything comfortable, but once you put anything with nice large circumaural pads, stock M40x are ruined.

>KCP
I hope you weren't talking about K-Lite when you typed that.
Holy jesus.

he was talking about garbage that is just as bad, kawaii codec pack

k-lite tier but weeaboo edition

What's in the box?

Hint: [spoiler]It cost $37[/spoiler]

I'm still jealous.

Well, I'm a pleb who uses CCCP (so far no issues), but I really don't see why someone would hit themselves that hard by using something as bad as K-Lite.

CCCP is garbage too, last i remember it was still using xy-vsfilter when xysubfilter had been out for a long time

MOTHER FUCKER IT HAPPENED!
give me one pls

I know, but it doesn't fuck up registry as bad as K-Lite does. I should move from it eventually.

There are no decent Bluetooth headphones period, because Bluetooth is shitty for audio.

I really wish I bought a few of them but I didn't want to get greedy.

Interestingly, it was shipped out from another person's store than the one I bought it from. Fulfilled by Amazon anyway.

>give me one pls
I honest would user, but I only put one in my basket. I wish I got one for my girlfriend as well but it was a scramble to buy them before that guy on this thread bought like 5 or something...

wait how the fuck were those 37$

Amazon fucked up the price listing apparently.

:(((((((((
bad luck senbai

Fuck, when did that happen?!

Someone on /hpg/ spotted a mistaken price on amazon. $37.00 instead of $370.00. The rest is history.

See thread on date related.

>November 19
SHIT FUCK SHIT HOW DID I MISS IT
I WANT TO END MY LIFE RIGHT NOW

at least you didn't preemptively cancel it like a dumbass thinking it was an obvious scam

How were you expecting to get scammed on amazon, especially since it's even fulfilled by amazon?

i wasn't expecting to get scammed, i was expecting it to be a scam and a waste of time

i did the same thing with the dt770s for like $60 on ebay and it took like a month to get my money back through paypal

I know there are many people already asking for recommendations, so I'll just ask:
Does anyone know where I can find some good quality headphones in New Zealand? It seems we don't stock a lot of the Sup Forums recommended brands here. If there's a small shop that stocks them somewhere, I'd be grateful.

Might as well also dump this, in case anyone wants to help:

>Budget
$165 as a hard limit for the budget.
>Location
Shopping in NZ. Pricespy.co.nz is a popular price comparing site, as is nz.pcpartpicker.com. Currency is in NZD, which is around half the strength of the euro or USD.
>Source
PC use only. No dedicated sound card in my tower, just the motherboard one.
>Full sized or IEM
Full sized
>Open vs Closed
No preference so long as my music isn't leaking out loudly to other people. I don't care about isolation from outside noise. Soundscapes are new to me, and something I've never thought about, so while having a good soundscape would be nice, it's not at all a priority. If choosing between isolation and soundscape, I'd chose a better soundscape.
>Comfort level
It's a luxury that I'll trade for better sound quality, freq range or other technical advantages. I won't be wearing these for hours on end. Mainly for music, with a tiny bit of gaming and video watching on the side. I can leave them off the rest of the time, hence the low priority of comfort.
>Sound signature
My favorite music is tracks from musicals. I love to hear the very high vocals and low instruments more than anything. So I'd like a v-shaped or possibly u-shaped signature. If another signature is better suited toward this, please do tell me. Sound signatures are also new to me.
>Past headphones.
Just a cheap

But it was fulfilled by amazon

>Does anyone know where I can find some good quality headphones in New Zealand?
importing

I bought a pair of 598 SEs. I feel like my old ass logitech mini-dac isn't driving them well at all and when I just use a direct connection I get hella interference. Anyone got a recommendation for a dac that cost LESS than the 598 SEs?

>ebay
That's the problem lad.

Importing. Find a good amazon importer and you'll get shit cheaper than locally almost always. I have to do the same in Australia.

FiiO E10k, SMSL M3, Micca Origen+

Pick one.

Whats the biggest difference between the E10k and the M3?

Size. M3 has no bass boost, but that's fine. The bass boost on the E10k is shithouse. M3 displays bitrate too, which you may find helpful. Theyre both pretty similar in sound.

Neat thanks. Getting the M3 then.

Trying out these AKG K712s on a FiiO 10K. Is it normal for the background noise to be audible at around a setting above 3?

No. Try running it off OTG from your phone as a clean power source

I am going to buy a pair of Shure se215 , any advice on the break in ? I was thinking a couple of hours of pink noise and 3-4 hours of my playlist

Is that possible with the iCrap?

>from your phone
What about a laptop on batteries?

CRISPY
R
I
S
P
Y

Moar price mistake headphones harmanaudio.com/Y50BLK.html?CJPID=CJ

I can't order. I don't live in US.

I posted this several hours ago, it looks dead Jim.

I pretty much just listen to rock, electronic, and hip-hop

Which of these would be the best for that?

HD 600
HD 650
Fidelio X2
HE 400i

Also,

Objective 2 or Magni 2?

Anyone has experience with ISK KP-580 headphones? Are the good if someone want dirt-cheap but somewhat usable headphones?

>$40 ISK KP-580
Why does it look ugly. And why is it too expensive than $20 Superlux HD681?
>dirt-cheap but somewhat usable headphone
Koss KSC75 with headband

Back ordered, it's over.

I doubt they will fulfil though.

prices?

>closed back headphones

tfw i bought the same heapdhones for 225€ the day before you bought them for $37

The State of the Flagships
An Under-Engineered Mess

docs.google.com/presentation/d/1wi8M-HSeK0JF33P-5ypydQjQ4OshRQhvWM0IX2h0NQ8/edit?pli=1#slide=id.p

What do you think of this?

it's old, uses compensated graphs for judgement and has a poor scoring system with nonsensical targets

It costs about $20 as well where I live. Good sources say that the newer batches of the Superlux HD681 Evo Mk II are all much inferior quality, the sound being muddy and nowhere near the original batches which had the rave bang-for-the-buck reviews. I saw a recommendation fot the ISK KP-580 as a new similarly priced, but better (in light of the Superlux quality drop) alternative.

And yes, with all the stupid red the cans look butt-ugly. But I could suffer that if they are comfortable and sound good enough (would be for home use anyway).

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but how the hell do you remove the mini-XLR cable attached to the headphone?

I want to use the coiled cable but can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the orange on first.