Windows 10 is fucking garbage

We all knew for a while that the festering piece of shit that is Win10 is total crap but I have an actual proof... courtesy of my dad.

My dad has a small DIY CNC machine in his garage that he uses to make parts for his antique car that he's rebuilding.

Well, today he started a job to machine a large part of the engine and the job was suppose to take 7 hours. All went fine until Win10 decided to reboot near the end of it and destroy not only the expensive, large, piece of aluminum alloy but also the end mill. Reboot caused the CNC machine to slow down uncontrollably and move the head and in the process, it hit an edge of the workpiece and managed to fuck up the carbide end mill.

My dad was fucking furious. Apparently, MS tricked him into installing Win10 and he was never happy with it. Now he's asking me for advice on what to replace it with. This Win10 fuckup cost him around $1000.

Any ideas? Would Linux or a Mac with a VM work out well with Mach3?

machsupport.com/software/mach3/

Other urls found in this thread:

yro.slashdot.org/story/16/12/04/2015239/how-microsoft-lost-in-court-over-windows-10-upgrades?utm_source=rss1.0mainlinkanon&utm_medium=feed
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>pay to get spied

What the fuck, why would you use consumer software for CNC?

inbred mongrel

>windows
>CNC machine

Fuck off with your made up bullshit.

It is another episode of
>user didn't read the EULA
>user used Windows in a place where you have tasks with critical time launch constraints

You could use your brain and kill Windows update service, or install real OS like W7 or Linux.

>Mac
lmao

not made up at all. follow the link. Mach 3 is great.

your dad is old lol

>software made for windows 95
>install it on windows 8

gg no re

>turbocucks will actually defend it anyways

macOS update does not automatically restart on its own. that picture shows scheduling. if you have something in the Terminal running, for example, it won't restart even if it's scheduled.

if it doesn't need an internet connection, put windows xp on it?

if it does such important work why not click the option in windows update to defer upgrades
or better yet turn off update service and use wsus to update manually

>CNC
why not just 3d print

What software does your dad use? Are there GNU/Linux or macOS replacements?

Windows 10 is indeed shit, but you're a fucking dumbass for not disabling automatic updates (which had to be disabled on every recent Windows version).

Just leave computer management to someone else if you're such a retard.

>why not just 3d print
3D print aluminum part? You know how much laser sintering machines cost?

>What software does your dad use? Are there GNU/Linux or macOS replacements?
I'm guessing he could use a VM for Mach3 (prog that drives the CNC). But I'm not sure what's available for mac and Linux.

One thing he uses is Autodesk Fusion 360 which is available for Win and Mac but not Linux.

He basically designs stuff in Fusion and then exports G-code and uses Mach3 to drive the CNC.

Anyone here know how to run a CNC on Linux/Mac?

kys.

MAC KUCKS

KUCKED

AGAIN

>production machine
>hooked up to the internet

Ya blew it Jr.

Or do what I did, install Mach 3 on an online XP machine

*Offline, fucking autocorrect

Just downgrade to Windows 7

>kys
underage confirmed, everyone go home.

If you'd dealt with much CNC equipment you'd know most of it runs on ancient versions of Windows, or occasionally even DOS.

>Using Windows 10 HOME PROfessionally

Windows 10 PRO updates can be disabled.

>Windows 10 on a CNC
>not some CLI linux or custom interface.

Your dad got what was coming for him.

he's a retard obviously. ignore him. windows is prevalent for CNC control.

Go find me the Linux equivalent of Mach3 that a normal person could use. Go ahead, I'll wait.

The upgrade bullshit ended months ago, fuck off with your fake story.

I'm no Microsoft expert, but I suppose Windows Server doesn't magically reboot.

>le wanblows random restard an shieeeet
Literally never happened to me kek

>using consumer OS for shit that requires stability
It's similar to that leddit story of that retarded anti-poacher niggers in africa or some shit, they had their laptop bricked or whatever because of win10 update, AND BLAMED MICROSOFT, INSTEAD OF LEARNING A LESSON AND INSTALLING DEBIAN STABLE OR SOMETHING EQUALLY SUITED FOR THE JOB

wew laddy, bait/10 quality posts
I'll just practice triforce

▲ ▲

Who said anything about server?

i run mach3 from windows xp no dramas

If only there was a way to disable automatic restarts.

>having to go into the fucking GPO to disable automatic restarts
that's why i use windows 7

That didn't stop mine from downloading and installing updates when I set it to notify me before downloading anything.

I had forgotten about the rampant winshilling on this board.
Yes, OP's dad could have turned off automatic updates. No, OP's dad didn't turn off automatic updates. You know why? BECAUSE UNTIL WINDOWS 10 IT WAS FUCKING UNHEARD OF THAT AN OS WOULD RANDOMLY DECIDE TO TURN ITSELF OFF. It is not normal for an OS to throw away the user's progress when a task is running. But oh, sure, let's defend that feature everyone hates.
>"Holy fuck I was using Windows 10 and got mauled by a shark, what the fuck?!"
>"Blame's on you, user, should've just gone to the registry and turn off automatic shark attacks :^)"
NO FUCK YOU. FUCK WINDOWS 10.

Sharks are stupid fucking animals dumbass.

I'm giving windows 10 one last shot with a pirated version of enterprise before I give up all together.

Should have used XP like most of people use in this kind of equipment

User error

Whenever I go back to windows I feel a physical rejection. Ever since XP it becoming worse and worse, people used to say that OS X threats you like a dumb fuck, well windows does it but 10000 times worse.

>OS X
>subtile reminder for an update that you can delay in 2 clicks
>Windows
>HOLY MOTHERFUCKINGSHIT UPDATE RIGHT FUCKING NOW OR U WILL DIE. U NO UPDATE NOW? GO FUCK URSELF I DO IT MYSELF

It clearly states on the webpage that it is for Wndows.

Why would someone keep CNC machine hooked up to internet and running Win10 in the first place?

>Ever since XP it becoming worse and worse

Worst part is that they are trying to be an OS X by being user friendly. But they end up locking behind settings more stuff than OS X could ever do while Windows is still a messy shit if you try to configure out something or browse internal files.

Funny thing is, macOS is probably less restricted right now

>having to go into the fucking control panel

this is why i use an ipad

>BECAUSE UNTIL WINDOWS 10 IT WAS FUCKING UNHEARD OF THAT AN OS WOULD RANDOMLY DECIDE TO TURN ITSELF OFF.

That is incorrect. If you leave auto updates on in Windows 7 it will automatically restart after some time.

NOT ON THE SAME DAY

don't blame it for your mistakes

If you didn't want it to restart by surprise in the middle of a work why didn't you disable the update service? why do you think it has to read your fucking mind because you're too retarded to actually go there and set it up properly?

You are a special kind of idiot for failing to see the fundamental problem here.

>2017
>Falling for wincuck meme
lol you are to blame yourself

what is the problem? windows actually installs updates for dumbasses that can't do it manually?

if you weren't a lazy piece of shit you'd have researched it before, not using something blindly, and then complaining because it did something you didn't expect it to do

Oh, I forgot. Unexpected shit like this is now acceptable because you shouldn't expect new OS to work like older ones, instead you have to do extensive research for things that were no-brainer before and you could just get to work and keep doing it at your own pace.

Just wow.

MacOS is less restrictive and more user-friendly than Windows 10

Lel yes, judging from this thread this is excruciatingly true.

then use don't use some OS made for dumb people that don't know how to manage a computer

if you didn't knew what you were getting into, why the fuck did you install windows 10 then?

Rethink what you just typed there.

if you don't even know how to set up something for it to be suitable to your use, what are you even doing with such expensive machinery in the first place?

I give up. You really are blind to the issue.

>OS is built around automatic updates and restarting in mind
>I use it for something that requires no interruptions for days
>It restarts
>Oh no

Why doesn't he just use a dedicated machine in the workshop for the mill? That's what I do for CNC. Most of the software is ancient shit. XP works just fine for this.

and you can literally tell it to delay updates for a fucking week, don't fucking use something you don't know how to use, or how it does things

And listen to these:

You heard it here. Stop using Windows 10.

you had to disable auto updates in windows 7 too. this hasn't changed.
you're just an ignorant fuck who cannot use a search engine and/or rtfm.

(inb4 pajeet/shill. i don't use windows 10 and i think it sucks.)

>you had to disable auto updates in windows 7 too
Funny, because I've done several windows 7 installs lately and in all of them I had to enable it myself.

yro.slashdot.org/story/16/12/04/2015239/how-microsoft-lost-in-court-over-windows-10-upgrades?utm_source=rss1.0mainlinkanon&utm_medium=feed

>forces upgrade because only fanboys like their SO

Jesus what a piece of shit.

Just make him a clean Windows 7 installation with updates etc. Will be enough.

>MS tricked him into installing Win10

so auto updates were probably enabled in windows 7 and those would cause havoc anyway.
user ignorance is the cause here, nothing else.

Your dad is a fucking retard, it sounds like.

You guys really own a CAM shop and are this computer illiterate? Microsoft didn't cost you guys that $1,000, your dad did for not thinking of this problem in the first place.

I guess you dumbasses learned your lesson the hard way, but it honestly was 100% avoidable. MS didn't 'trick' your dad into installing Windows 10 either, your dad's just a moron who doesn't know how the fuck to read.

50 rupees have been deposited into your shilling account, Pajeet.

Before Window 10: being computer illiterate wasn't an issue

After Windows 10: being computer illiterate is a work-wrecking problem

MS really outdid themselves this time.

>tricked him into installing Win10

The "recommended" setting during W7 install means autoupdate=on.

>what are regular people?

C-could you repeat that? That all went over my head? Stop being so cryptic!

>i want to use a $1000 machine but i have no idea how to use it at all!!! wtf i haet m$!!!!!

>thread full of smelly street-shitting micropajeets blaming the user
business as usual

OP's dad is a retard, your point?
I mean, if he installed Windows 10 and was unhappy with it he's the only one to blame.

Should've bought a machine that doesn't rely on his personal PC desu.

I'm bored. I'll bite. Explain your logic.

You don't want to type those scripts on the actual device.

>You don't want to type those scripts on the actual device.
Sure, program/model it all on a more user friendly device, then load it into the machine.

Glad for you. Meanwhile enjoying it and never wishing to switch of have to work with earlier inferior versions at all.

>DIY
Self-made seldom have that luxury.

>retarded dad uses windows for a CNC machine instead of a proper numeric control such as a siemens or fanuc console
>cries when it fucks up

Who's fault is this again? Oh yeah, dumfuck dads.

if you're gonna be a H1B slave shill for microshit, then you might want to learn english, pradeep

I don't see why it would be impossible or something to just use a small unconnected to the internet PC to drive the thing. You could probably do it with a Raspberry Pi or something.
But if it was DIY, then he should've known how it works, and that he should've set the active hours during the time the machine operates.

At least i am not a tool like you that ignorantly still runs Win 98SE since its the best thing ever and everything past is a lie.

That's why literally everyone that uses CNCs makes G-code on a computer then transfers it on the machine.

>tricked him
You mean he's retarded and hit update?

well, at least I can use the toilet unlike you. go back to your designated shitting street in calcutta instead of shitting up america.

Did Indian steal your job since you were shitty in it? Serious question, since you are projecting way too hard.

its been increasingly difficult to avoid these updates, especially if you're computer illiterate enough to go to win10 to begin with

>CNC didn't go in emergency mode the second the PC died or just stopped at the last string of code

Yeah ok OP, you can stop lying now. Or get someone who atleast remotely knows what they are doing to set your machines parameters up before one of your dumbass family members kills themselves with it.

>retarded
Grow up

Time to leave the thread. It seems Americans are awake.

You don't remember that this year 10 would install after closing the "upgrade" nagging window using the X button in the top right corner?