What happened to this?

What happened to this?

Other urls found in this thread:

lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It got no love, because first two licenses were bad and when they changed it at last, people didn't bothered.

NO GAYMEZ!!!!1111

It looks like someone made it as a joke

The front fell off.

Eggzactly: 9front is where it is at now.

Considering the autismo drive there I wonder why it hasn't replaced Gentoo as the most autistic distribution. That is the real mystery.

In terms of autism

Gentoo < *BSD < Haiku < 9front > Plan9 < TempleOS

>9front > Plan9
*9front < Plan9

obscurism != autism

how is 9front less autistic than plan9?

Just very slightly so by the mere virtue that it isn't quite as dated as the original plan9. You may want to put both into same category though.

Sup Forums loves semantic oversimplification employing certain words (such as "botnet", "cuck", "autism" etc.) repurposed as extremely overreaching umbrella terms to refer to broad spectra of meanings which often are only ever so slighly interrelated.

Someone should make an iceberg type graphic relating to operating systems.

>autism in solid form

It died, because it's dropout shit. there are still a couple of loser groups online super vocal about how they won't admit they are just hipsters and insist it's better than linux or even bsd, it would be their primary concern to say it's better than linux, since we're so far removed that linux is basically windows in this case. This has nothing to do with technology, it's just about being a contrarian.

Which is precisely what "muh Gran Autismo" is about, innit.

They are about the same level.

Plan9 begat Inferno which had a microkernel in it and also a virtual machine and thus qualifies for the exalted status of Grand Autismo with oak leaves.

>mfw inferno master race
enjoy outdatedtech lmao

9front vs 9fork vs harvey

which is the future of plan9?

Also why isn't plan9 considered unix-like?

>Also why isn't plan9 considered unix-like?
Simply because its relationship with unix are just ideas like everything as a file and the pipelines, for the rest it's completely different, it takes the good unix concepts and discard the rest for example no ttys

>its relationship with unix are just ideas like everything as a file and the pipelines
From what I understand some of the userland comes directly from 10th edition unix

No, it's all original code

/thread

Its now the best meme OS.
In all seriousness I love it, but havent logged on drawterm for months now.

the fuck is that image supposed to mean

A dude buried in (fap)manuals, duh.

how is basic hardware (wifi adapters with intel firmware, usb flash drives) support?

It is rather uneven. Device drivers are a lot of work and make up a huge fraction of the Linux code base. There has simply not been enough manpower to do the same for 9front.

too bad, but once it runs under openBSD as a guest, I'll give it a try.

it ran on my old t42 but no wifi

was it usable besides that?

I guess, it depends of your definition of ``usable''.
Remember there are no browser that support javascript or css.
I was following this course
lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf

Its good for programming and the distributed aspect is cool af but it needs a lot of work to become Sup Forums standards of usable.

IE no ricing if you dont know how to C.

Some of its ideas were good, but I think it went too far in some places (No dynamic libs? No mmap)

Still, things like union mounts are things people are having a lot of trouble reconciling with unix file semantics,. Makes me think the best idea would be to make some kindof plan9-linux halfbreed.

Let's see if I can figure out the rock-paper-scissors of OS autism. "a > b" means a beats b, but it's possible that "a > b; b > c; c > a"

VMS > Every UNIX-like
BeOS/Haiku > VMS
DragonFlyBSD > Haiku
OpenBSD > DragonFlyBSD
Plan 9 > OpenBSD
9Front > Vanilla Plan 9
Inferno > 9Front
TempleOS > Inferno
VMS > TempleOS
MenuetOS > TempleOS
Plan 9 > MenuetOS
GNU (with HURD) > Plan 9 pre-license change
Any RTOS > everything, but you've missed the point entirely and are really just making your life more miserable for the sake of one-upping everyone.

Some parts of it like the rc scripting language, but the workflow is entirely different and most commands and options work differently than in Unix or may even be missing or replaced entirely.

You're missing the end all be all of autism
>A FORTH OS coded by yourself

development came to a screeching halt after someone's beard was tragically caught in a paper shredder

that's because you only use Windows to consume media and have no knowledge of the OS architecture