/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
- /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 2)
archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/ - /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 1)

Other urls found in this thread:

terriblelinuxwallpaper.tumblr.com/
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4v116g/can_we_stop_recommending_linux_mint/
zdnet.com/article/hacker-hundreds-were-tricked-into-installing-linux-mint-backdoor/
omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/11/canonical-dev-dont-use-linux-mint-online-banking-unsecure
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
github.com/linuxmint/mdm
packages.debian.org/source/jessie/mdm
github.com/torvalds/linux/pull/362
a.pomf.cat/zaozeh.txt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for niggers

I've been dual-booting Ubuntu GNOME and Manjaro GNOME on my test laptop for a couple weeks, trying to decide which I want to use as my first main Linux distro on my main laptop. I've fallen madly in love with pacman and the AUR, though I've been told that I shouldn't go with an Arch-based distro as my first. What do you think? So far, both distros have been working fine - though sometimes Ubuntu GNOME gives me a "system program problem detected" message on boot which... I THINK has something to do with my graphics drivers. Though I've never noticed anything acting out of the ordinary.
Also, I'd try Fedora 25, but it doesn't have proprietary NVIDIA drivers, and the free drivers for my main laptop's graphics card don't work well.

>I've fallen madly in love with pacman and the AUR
>AUR
>no security audits
>the repo equivalent of an Iraqi bazaar
>fallen in love

Arch is a hobbyist distro. Basically anything other than Debian, Ubuntu or Red Hat are hobbyist distros not meant for serious use.

Ubuntu's equivalent of AUR are the PPA's.
Fedora's equivalent of AUR are the COPR.

The important difference being both PPA and COPR build the packages for you and you don't have to compile them.

Fedora doesn't have any proprietary software save for binary kernel blobs because they're owned by redhat, which is US based company and they have to respect retarded american patent system.
There's a 3rd party repository for Nvidia drivers for Fedora.

Go for *buntu.

>Go for *buntu.
I've also heard that Ubuntu is unstable with pretty much any DE except Unity. Thoughts on this?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Does anybody here have experience with using Ubuntu with a Lenovo Flex 4, or a simimlar '2 in 1 laptop/tablet'? Can you point me in the direction needed to get Ubuntu to recognize when im in 'Tablet Mode'? When i was using win10, it would go into tablet mode when the screen flipped passed a certain angle, like 180 degress or something and it would disable the keyboard and trackpad so the key wouldnt get pressed while it sits on your lap or table. I spent a few hours googling last night with no success. Any advice at all would be appreciated. Ill probably end up having to ask on an IRC or something, im really hoping this wont be too much of a hassle.

terriblelinuxwallpaper.tumblr.com/

There's a reason why windows is installed in the first place.

Ill probably go back to it if i cant figure this out, i really wanted to give Ubuntu a shot with what i have though.

user, i want to learn perl for scripting and math, but my friends recently said it is shit so i lost all of my motivation.
Please say something good about this weird camel language. Thank you.

I run xfce and its perfectly stable (16.04)

Nope. Ubuntus desktop manager Unity is stable. It just looks shit.

you friends are the problem. backup you memories then switch to new friends. i'd recommend hipsters.

Python is even more shit.

Threadly reminder that Linux Mint is literally the worst distro.
lwn.net/Articles/676664/

reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4v116g/can_we_stop_recommending_linux_mint/

zdnet.com/article/hacker-hundreds-were-tricked-into-installing-linux-mint-backdoor/

omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/11/canonical-dev-dont-use-linux-mint-online-banking-unsecure

techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

github.com/linuxmint/mdm
packages.debian.org/source/jessie/mdm

>copy file with rsync or with scp
>the SOURCE file's hash changes

Honestly, I don't know what to do any more. HOW can the SOURCE file change after making a copy of it somewhere? As far as I know, its hash (sha1) shouldn't be affected by metadata, right? So how does it change?!

just do it you fucking loser it's easy

what is the best linux?

thanks

linux-libre

linux mint

why is a source file more special that anything else?
you know it's just a file with a special extension that has text in it right?

No, I meant source as in the file that's being copied. Basically.

>rsync /dir/file /newdir/file
>check the hash of /dir/file
>it's now different

I'd expect the new hash to be maybe changed due to corruption (hardware I assume?), but not the file which was being copied.

How do you manage software you installed from source (with the "make" command)? Like keep them updated, resinstall or uninstall?

You package it for your package manager. You don't just do "sudo make install".

use your package manager

better use your package manager, just use gentoo if you compile from source a lot.
if it isn't in your repos then just check in once in a while to see if there are any updates on github

Ok, my mom is a teacher and slightly tech literate, but the other teachers keep messing up her work PC with their malware ridden USB sticks.

So I want to install GNU/Linux on her work PC.

There's one requirement, though. I need to get Microsoft Office 2003 to work in it without hassle. Is it possible?

Also, Xubuntu or Mint?

Why install GNU if you don't want malware?
Just use plain Linux with GNU removed.

Ubuntu Mate
retard

Never Mint. Use Xubuntu or Ubuntu MATE.
Giving WINE a shot is the best chance you'll have, but do remember Libreoffice is compatibile fully with MS office.

Thanks lads.

I have Xubuntu on dual boot and honestly not very impressed with it. The default audio player keeps crashing.
I think I'll try Ubuntu MATE.

anyone running arch and using qt creator?

need help with the debugging,

I cannot make the damn assembly go away, even when pressing the button who is supposed to do that

> but do remember Libreoffice is compatibile fully with MS office.
Are you sure about that?

I'm just curious why people hate on ubuntu and call it bloated?

I'm running 16.04 on an old thinkpad with a 120gb ssd and 8gb ram and all I did was install unity tweak, ncmpcpp, vlc, and a few other things. Tweaked the appearance and launcher and disabled the amazon botnet

I've never experienced lag or issues at all. It's the most seamless and lightest feeling os I've ever used so I don't understand why people call it bloated? systemd-analyze has it as 16second boot time

Yes. You can choose to save as MS Office formats, and open MS Office formats in Libreoffice. Save it in 1, it'll work in the other.

Yeah, but can it open office 2003 .xdoc files and shit?

Shouldn't it be like this if you don't have anything else installed?
Here's mine. I enabled the clang use flags though so I don't know about achieving that on arch.

When I go into Libreoffice writer, and choose 'open file', MS Word 97,2000,XP,2003,2007,2010 and 2013 are in the list of compatible filetypes.

ok den

I have gdb installed and have build the project with the debug configuration.

If you press the button I have marked with red on my screenshot here, the "instruction-wise-debugging"-mode will be toggled and the assembly for each line will be shown.

If you press the button again, the assembly will be hidden again.

This works in my VM with ubuntu and on another laptop of my friend

It doesn't do that in my version, it's the latest one so maybe they changed something.

also, do you need an IDE for Qt or just for C++?
If it's just for C++ then using a simple makefile for compiling would be a lot easier than fucking around with an IDE. I don't think Qtcreator is that good for plain C++.

leave the source directory there and go back and sudo make uninstall and then delete it, and download the new source and reinstall. For slackware this is the best option for new software that isn't on slackbuilds.org, like the newest version of icecat.

>It doesn't do that in my version
that means you can toggle the assembly?

>it's the latest one so maybe they changed something
i got 4.1.0 from the AUR

>also, do you need an IDE for Qt or just for C++?
I want to get it working and a bit annoyed how its working on everything but my laptop

Yeah, it first thought it didn't.
Now that I've cycled through line by line using the buttons to the left it hides the assembly.

>buttons to the left
which buttons you mean?

Step in, step out, step over

Maybe you could try an older version. Not sure if you can do that on arch though.

well the dev version (4.2.0) doesnt work, i found that out after 2 hours of compiling

thanks for the suggestion, ill try getting an older one

also, i am currently installing arch in a vm (on arch lol) to find out if its working there

make a chroot and do it in there?

lmao
just install gentoo in a vm, it works there for sure on 4.1.0
or just try compiling 4.1.0. Don't forget to do something like make -j5 or whatever number of cores you have. It might take a long time to do just in a single thread.

dont have any experience with that, how would it work?

a chroot is similar to a VM but runs natively. just make a new chroot environment & install the package and test it as needed. look up guides for making a chroot if you need to.

thanks for the info, will try that

What command do I enter to get my Pi out of emergency mode? I've checked a few dozen threads on google and I can't seem to get a simple answer.

>google
BOTNET

Just started a 2gb download, 5gb installed, -0,2gb net "pacman -Syu"
How fucked am I? I'm going to be reinstalling soon anyway

i'll be praying to saint ignucius for you user

FUCKING SORRY I'LL SWITCH I JUST NEED TO BE ABLE TO BOOT THIS FUCKING THING

There's a reason for that 1% market share.

arch doesnt have 1% market share

I think I'm good, all I care about is my data and that's going to survive in any case.
Why doesn't someone make a Debian/Devuan/Ubuntu repo with all packages statically linked? It would be fucking perfect.

feel free to come over to Debian Sid

Probably going for xubuntu tbqh. Rolling release is overrated, I run Devuan Jessie on my laptop and it's fucking flawless, but >muh games are better on ubuntu

How will Loonixtards ever recover? :^)
github.com/torvalds/linux/pull/362

well fuck.

i installed arch in a vm and installed only the needed packages...
package-list: a.pomf.cat/zaozeh.txt

its working! i can toggle the assembly how I wanted

How can I now find the error on my laptop? Compare packages and versions?

Which packages could be relevant here?

Should I use -O3 in gentoo?

it's safer to only use -O2. you'll need to recompile every single package if you pick -O3 and something goes wrong.

>2016
>not using -Ofast by default

Well, it's a good commit.

>tfw you realize lkml don't accept anything from github

Reminder that if you select all updates in Mint 18's Update Manager then you would be getting the same updates as you would in Ubuntu. Mint is fine.

are you sure?

Horseshit. Source: Been using Lubuntu since 2011 because Unity is shit.

nevermind, i am a colossal faggot.

the qt-creator project was fucked. If I create a new one the debugger works fine

so much wasted time...

>"""UNSAFE PACKAGES"""

>"""DANGEROUS PACKAGES"""

As i remember kernel updates were those filthy dangerous packages.

@57850142
>reddit.com
cool post

>if you select all updates
Yes. It even says that in the reddit thread you posted.

yep
*base-files|*|5||
*linux-|*|5||
linux|*|5||
grub|*|5||
grub2|*|5||

You have the choice to select all updates in Linux Mint 18, and you would be getting the same experience as you would in Ubuntu. Even when you first start up Mint they ask you for what kind of update policy you want.

@57852237
not everyone is an 1337 command line hacker, some people have a job and want to get shit done, stick to your arch but stop spreading FUD about mint

>You have the choice to select all updates in Linux Mint 18, and you would be getting the same experience as you would in Ubuntu.
But user, it says here it's UNSAFE and DANGEROUS. Ubuntu doesn't say that.

Try installing the package mdm (Utilities for single-host parallel shell scripting) on Mint. Ubuntu can, Mint can't, because on Mint the package is Mints Display Manager. Why do they highjack package names like that? Mint is literally broken.

if it works just like ubuntu, why not install ubuntu? it's literally the same shit without those security issues.

I'm on mint 18
I'm trying to mount a floppy disk image.
In my current directory I created a floppy image with mkfs.msdos -C floppy.img 1440
I made a catalog by mkdir floppy
I mounted it using sudo mount -o loop floppy.img floppy
But now I can't put anything there, because only root owns it and can do anything. What did I do wrong?
having to sudo every copy command works, but surely there must be a better way

>I'm on mint 18
stopped reading there

You should continue.

give your user permission to read/write it

>the only difference between Ubuntu and Mint is how updates are handled
Okay user
Yea, sadly no distro is perfect

>Yea, sadly no distro is perfect
Except one.

that's not debian user

When I'm at work and I'm logged in via putty to my server, within a certain amount of time, the firewall kicks me off because it thinks the connection is dead.

Is there anyway I can set it up so that it sends some information over to me every now and then?

Right now, I just have
#~/bin/dontlogmeoutfuckers.sh
#!/bin/bash

while [ 1 ]
do
sleep 120
echo '123'
done

But I don't want it outputted on the screen as I have stuff to do. Any suggestions?

Slackware is surprisingly nice.

@57852523
yes cause debian isnt perfect by any stretch of the imagination so i didnt post it

>debian isnt perfect by any stretch of the imagination
Take that back.

@57852868
why would i take back a true statement?