These types of laptop keyboards are never coming back, are they?

These types of laptop keyboards are never coming back, are they?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N84Bth2t2Ig
youtube.com/watch?v=Dtjllca-AaQ
laptopmag.com/articles/help-me-laptop-i-want-a-notebook-with-a-classic-style-keyboard
theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/apr/02/laptops-suitable-for-high-speed-typists
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

One of the reasons why I still have a Thinkpad from 2011 as my daily driver

no, thank god

Think Fujitsu used them up until recently-ish, still prefer them to the new imitation apple ones

>not using a W520
user...

>>/kys/

youtube.com/watch?v=N84Bth2t2Ig

Chiclet garbage was invented back in the 1980s as a cheap cost-cutting cop-out employed in the more economy-oriented segment of the home computer market. Though, back then consumers weren't the mindless sheeplets and recognized the garbage for what it was, and it was soon retired and hardly anyone bought computers equipped with those.

these keyboards are great to type on when they're not fucked up like that
source:using one right now

i love these keyboards

i have a small stack of replacement parts lying around for my t520, bought them cheap in bulk from ebay

i have no idea when another good laptop model will come around, but i think i can hold out at least a decade.
might stock up even more, since i read on HN that they forced the vPro ME chip backdoor into recovery last week
and i bet the FSF beards will stock up on them soon and drive the price up.

what's different from this and what is standard now? i've been using a t420s forever and dont even know what the other options are besides mechanical

bump for interest.
Are all new thinkpad keyboards shit? even in the top models?

>These types of laptop keyboards are never coming back, are they?
They never left
Buy old thinkpads

Key travel will die completely.

Don't they still use them on Latitudes?

is it a thing with white people to always find something to be upset about? isn't this the basis for tumblr? why are whites such faggots?

Blame apple and the morons supporting them. Every cancerous change they make gets carried on towards other brands.

All because of muh thinness and peoples inability to think and just buy into the marketing hypes.

You're assuming OP is white. Why are you so racist?

Don't worry yourself nigger, you wouldn't understand the problem.

Probably not. Doesn't really matter anyways. You can get a small USB mechanical keyboard to put in your backpack or laptop bag. I never use my built in keyboard unless I'm typing up a quick email on the train or something. If I'm going to be sitting in one place with my laptop for more than a half hour, out comes the mechanical keyboard.

>a POK3R autist

youtube.com/watch?v=Dtjllca-AaQ

ive used lots of keyboards and i love chiclet because theyre quiet, light, fast and small, unlike all that mechanical crap with its noise, huge size, high resistance, and unnecessarily long travel time, and always having that shitty curved overall shape (the entire board) and the dented key tops

>high resistance, and unnecessarily long travel time

Confirmed for notk nowing shit about mechanicals.

They have never gone away. Both the Dell Precision and the HP Elitebook series have them.

this

I actually like having a numpad on my laptop, not having one is cancer

wouldn't expect children on Sup Forums to understand why having a numpad on a computer is good though

HP's version.

>always having that shitty curved overall shape (the entire board) and the dented key tops

Who the fuck are you to even judge something such as a keyboard, given that you obviously know nothing about them? The way keyboards were originally designed (and how they were before greedy fuckers decided to screw them up) was because that's how they are supposed to be so that people who type properly can type comfortably. *Every* touch typist should confirm this. Just because it seems to be fine for your hunter-and-pecker sausage fingers doesn't mean it's objectively good, because it isn't, quite to the contrary. Underages and dilettantes have no business passing judgments over anything.

laptopmag.com/articles/help-me-laptop-i-want-a-notebook-with-a-classic-style-keyboard
The comments below the article are very telling, just one stupid chick who claims to "love love love love love"[sic! - who the fuck who isn't dumb writes like that?] chiclets, the rest, including touch typists, universally hates them, and with obvious very good reasons.

theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/apr/02/laptops-suitable-for-high-speed-typists
>Like many fast touch-typists, I just cannot work well on the new Chiclet keyboards.
>Having tried a lot in stores, I just can’t find anything that will do. I fear having to give up work once this one dies.

I'm sticking with t410 and x201 as long as possible. Might get an x220 when these get a little long in the tooth. Thankfully Linux runs well.

far worse than the old precision keyboards

Why not buy a tablet with the keyboard you want to have instead?

Hi, Ms. Marley. Bring the coffee please. Yes, 2 sugars, no, without milk.

>rages that kbs are not one-size-fits-all
>preaches one-size-fits-all backed by social media with exposure bias
>y-y-youre the kid here

holy shit, that thing is aesthetic
It's like an old school toshiba in 2016

I actually really like the keyboard on the XPS 13. Also I tried the Apple's new Macbook Pro keyboard, and really liked it to. I bet most people who are talking shit about the keyboards for both I mentioned have never themselves actually used them.

nevermind, that trackpad gave me eye cancer

They're way better than the ultracheap rubberdome shit featured in OP

Chiclet is objectively garbage. If it were good, keyboards would have been designed that way in the first place (cheap fucks made a try in the 1980s already but failed because consumers weren't as dumb back then). If you, against all better judgement, believe otherwise, the I'm sorry but you have been duped and apparently don't have enough brains to become aware of it even if the truth is presented on a plate right before your eyes.

wait, your CS:GO twitch channel is so big you need a secretary?

>backed by social media
How the fuck are articles and comments below them "social media"?

An underage babby knows more about proper keyboard design and ergonomics than IBM or someone who has been typing for a living? Are you even trying?

What the fuck is wrong with you? Chick let keyboards are objectively inferior.

The keyboards produced in the 80s weren't similar to modern ones that use scissor switches. The keyboard in the op uses the same switches as a chiclet keyboard. The difference is that a chiclet keyboard is more resistant to dirt, debris, and liquid, and thus will last longer.

In theory, in practice that's hardly been proved.

So why did IBM abandoned their mechanical keyboards and stopped improving trackpoint tecnology and proceeded making cheap membrane shit until thinkpad umbrella got acquired by Lenovo in 2006?

Why modern chiclets are bad? Mechanism is the same, only different keyshape.

What is the best portable computer's keyboard? (2006-2012 thinkpads have cheapish membrane-scissor mechanism with high actuation force)

Why doctors advice using low travel-time keyboards or even touchscreens to avoid CTS and reduce hand muscles strain?

Do you seriously suggest that an obvious cost-cutting practice is to be regarded as a functional improvement, or what? The original keyboards were better but more expensive, the later ones were cheaper but worse, what is so hard to grasp here?

You can mass-produce cherry switches to make mechanical keyboards cheaper.
You can make them last longer, so people wouldn't need to buy a new one every 2 years, but at a cost of higher price.

As pointed out already, your arguments are purely theoretical - debris such as breadcrumbs etc. indeed won't get under a chiclet key, but they are not airtight nor water-proof. Not to mention, you can pull a normal key out, remove whatever debris is under it, and then reseat it. Not so with a chiclet key.

Besides, these points are completely secondary if the typing experience is simply bad to begin with - read the comments under first link and the quotes from the second one. People who type properly (and aren't teens who just adapt to chiclet because they are young and will swallow anything thrown at them easily) almost universally agree that flat and low-travel keys are very bad to type on. They have been typing properly (some did it as main occupation, such as the lady from the second link) for years on keyboard which were designed to be ergonomically suited to typing properly. They can tell a good keyboard from a bad keyboard. Contrarily, someone who has never been typing properly and who just hunts and pecks has no competence to belittle proficient or even professional typists nor to argue with them what is objectively better.

What is your point exactly? You still try to imply that because chiclet keyboards were implemented en-masse it means that the're objectively better at all, let alone objectively better to type on by proficient touch typists?

No they are objectively worse, and a nightmare for proficient touch typists, which a literal ton of testimonies from such individuals confirm. The only reasons for the implementation of the functionally inferior keyboards was economy and the focus on goals such as physical thinness, which again have more to do with fashion, marketing, and the fact that nowadays the masses can be goaded extremely easily into accepting something inferior if persuaded skillfully enough. Another aspect is a general trend to force everyone onto the lowest common denominator - in this case, the assumption that if the majority who isn't proficient at touch typing will accept flat keyboards, then everyone will have to make do with them.

Looks like the time my cousin tried to hair dry a liquid spill.

Has IBM gone too far?

If we were complacent we would have stayed in africa and remained niggers

Expecting more is literally in our genes

Just installed Debian on my new to me X40. I bought a more modern network card for the thing as well as an SSD and RAM, it's a perfect little pre-iAMT shitposting machine. I figure it should last me for a good couple of years at least.

If Linux gets too bloated I'm going to install BSD on there but at this point, I wanted an easy install that'd support all my hardware automatically and Debian seems to cut the mustard there. Even on a mere 512MB RAM it's decently fast, can't wait for my RAM upgrade to get here.

The 10+ year old battery still has some life left amazingly. I get about an hour on a charge. I intend this machine to mainly fulfill ham radio duties so it's not a big deal, it'll be hooked into a deep cycle battery.

Keycap =! switch design

All laptop keyboards apart from Apple's new Macs use some sort of scissor switch.

Don't mix up layout, key caps, and switches user.

T420 and X230 owner here

X230 keyboard feels a bit better, but I heard T420 keyboards had several manufacturers so mine might be from a shitty one. It's not bad keyboard at all, feels good to type on but fuck the layout, I prefer the 7-row on T420

Just buy those oversized gaming laptops :^)

gaymen*

Accounting is not the only job people do on the computer.

>proooojjeeeeectingiiintheyeaaartwothousandandsixteen:)

ThinkPad X62 mod.

How is this shit even remotely acceptable

I've been using this laptop for like 5 years and I became so used to the keyboard that it's the best thing in the world to me right now.
I wish I was kidding.

oops forgot the imagé

>the fact that i objectively type more swiftly, easily, and with a lot less finger strain on a flat chiclet than anything else is not a criterium for kb quality
ok

>the first invention of any kind is always the best
yeah because nothing in history has ever needed improving, thats why we still ride animals instead of cars

>shit written by any pleb with internet access is not social media
>people dont mostly post to hate on something, ratings and stuff are an exact representation of quality
>someone elses ergonomics define your own

the hipocrisy and fear of change or other opinions is palpable

get a sidewinder x4

floating holo keyboards when?

When tactile feedback dies completely

Give it a few more years

I fucking hate those half sized arrow keys

because CAPS LOCK
is
an anagram
of
COCK SLAP

You realise the top of those keyboards and the top of chicklet keyboards are exactly the same right?

Unless your typing technique for some reason involves pressing the slanted part of the keys, they should feel exactly the same to type on. If anything chicklet keys should be better because if your finger lands slightly off a key it'll only press down onto empty space rather than onto another key.

I don't even mind chiclets that much but it's that landing on empty space that throws me off. Instead of just making a typo it's like a mini one of those jolts you get when you with your elbow on chair armrest.

hit* your elbow

These keys whatever they're called are the sole reason I'm not replacing my old and dying laptop.

Chick let keyboards haven't proved to be more durable and they suck for typing.

You're a fucking Lenovo gook aren't you?