Switched my browser from ungoogled Firefox to ungoogled Chromium and it's so much faster with exactly the same...

Switched my browser from ungoogled Firefox to ungoogled Chromium and it's so much faster with exactly the same extensions.

Why haven't you left Firefucks yet Sup Forums?
>inb4 tree-style tabs
It's the only thing I miss.

Other urls found in this thread:

chromium.woolyss.com/
github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium
github.com/horst3180/arc-theme
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it's also broken because every other https site gets blocked due to some certificate bug

Yeah I noticed that too.
I had to use a separate browser to initially connect to public networks (Train station, Starbucks, etc. I commute a fair bit for uni and work).
Whereas on Chromium it allowed me to still connect to them properly.

Also, since Chromium is such a pain in the ass on Windows what's a good alternative that's still ungoogled/ungooglable?

On my Windows Machine I'm using Waterfox at the minute.

>Chromium is such a pain in the ass on Windows
Is that so? Maybe you should try Iridium, Vivaldi, Opera then?

Opera and Vivaldi are slow as fuck man.
Seriously, I tried both a couple of weeks ago and it was worse than FF.
I've not tried iridium however. How is it for extension support?
Things like uBlock, uMatrix, Disconnect, etc.

Should really have no problems installing Chrome extensions on Iridium desu

looks decent enough to me. I like some of the features/changes from Chromium.

Why would I leave Firefox when I am perfectly happy with it?

And chrome isn't faster at all. It also has disgusting memory management problems compared to Firefox

Waiting for an ungoogled chromium PKGBUILD, then I'll switch right over

Perhaps on Windows but on my linux machine I seem to be using less RAM since switching.

Also I'm not using Chrome, I'm using Chromium. From my albeit semi-limited understanding, it has a lot stripped from it that Chrome comes with by default.

Pale Meme

It's written by idiots.

It seems like Sup Forums has forgotten about browser profiling. Where are you Sup Forumsentoomen?

UnGoogled Chromium is outdated and buggy, refer to chromium.woolyss.com/ for updated builds, mainly the RobRich and Nik ones.

In Firefox you can sort BOTH bookmarks and history by Name, Tags, Location, Most Recent Visit, Visit Count, Description, Added and Last modified.

In Chromium you can't sort history and you can only sort bookmarks by Title(Name).

So sure, I if I only use a browser for Sup Forums and facebook then I'd use Chromium.

>Why haven't you left Firefucks yet Sup Forums?

Because Windows 7 has shitty fonts. So I have to install MacType.

But MacType doesn't work with the new version of Chromium. Because the Chromium dev team have disabled the ability to disable directwrite. Like the cunts they are.

So I have to go to Firefox because it still lets you do that. So I can use Firefox and still have decent looking fonts.

Firefox Nightly and Developers Edition from 52.0 onwards ALSO disable the ability to disable directwrite.

What the fuck is up with this? Why do developers have to be such assholes?

This is super helpful. To clarify by 'ungoogled' that was me not knowing any better and meaning I'm using the latest version of Chromium for Arch with a bunch of extentions. Hence the reason I also said 'ungoogled firefox'

I'm actually using that exact version of Chromium (v55.0.2883.75)

That's really not an issue for me. I always found navigating the history browser cumbersome. If I want to find something I'll search for it.

I'm not really sure I can provide much of an opinion on this one user I like the fonts well enough.

No Vimperator.

Install chocolatey and install chromium from there

Also not an issue for me since I literally started learning how to use VIM today.

wtf is Chocolately?

I switched from chromium to firefox cuz chromium's memory leaks were driving me crazy, FF is a bit slower though.

Chromium 55 seems to be pretty stable. At least on my Arch machine.

I'll see how it is on Winders tomorrow.

>ungoogled chromium

link?

Firefox ESR on slackware 14.2

github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

But as said
It's a bit outdated and buggy.

Ok I can see now when you put them side by side.
Although
>Not using 4chanX plus some sort of themeing extension like Oneechan

Ouch.

I am a Cyberfox user. Is this ok?

Firefox is absolutely terrible these days.
For media streaming, i can't even use Firefox anymore. Fucking Edge kicks its arse. Edge! Of all fucking things.

Sure it is. You're the one that has to deal with manually updating it.

I've tried 4chanx. Didn't see any features I cared about. If it allows me to smooth the fonts in Chromium I would try it again.

Are you able to use them with Pale Moon?

If you force enable multi-process and set your process count to at least 12 you will see a pretty big improvement in performance.

Haven't tried but it is possible.

What I need to find is a Chromium fork that still lets you disable directwrite.

That never bothered me.
They do have an update fetcher now though.

Firefox is fucking horrible at handling HTML5 Media.
Edge is kinda built for it.

4chanX itself doesn't allow for it, you need Oneechan too
>pic related

I'm using a laptop with a 1.8GHz Dual Core CPU. I highly doubt it will make much of a difference.

That makes things a lot easier actually.

Stylechan>>>>Oneechan

How so?
I'm genuinely curious. I only use Oneechan because it's the first thing I came across and I haven't bothered looking into anything else since Oneechan does everything I want it to.

It's not abandoned.

I honestly can't remember any difference between the two, but Sup Forums has been using less memory since I switched, but I can't speak to causality.

Huh.
Fair enough.
I'll check it out in a little bit.
I'm always a sucker for better performance.

You should be able to import you oneechan presets too.

That makes life much easier.

Ok so first impressions:
No mascots. Not a dealbreaker but I did like that feature.
Doesn't support loading system fonts either.
The fonts do look nicer though.

thanks, also why doesn't Sup Forums work on it.

What do you mean?

like help the project out and release a new more non buggy verison of ungoogled chromimum

Oh right. You mean the people of Sup Forums
Because anyone that browses Sup Forums, especially Sup Forums is a self-entitled cuck that would rather spend their time pointing out the flaws of something than actively helping to make it better.

Not only that but it's semi-pointless since there a fair few Chromium clones and forks all with the same aim. The only one that seems to be making any real progress is Iridium.

you would be better off using Ghost Browser

Any particular reason

>management problems

Making every tab its own process isn't a "problem", it's a feature. It doesn't make it use more memory, idiot.

do you really think that a video card review / desktop customization board has the best people for the job?

This pretty much.
In reality there are probably very few people on this board capable of actually making any significant contributions to projects like Ungoogled Chromium even if they were paid to do so, let alone to give up their own free time doing so when their efforts are likely to be for almost naught.

iridum is a german goverment bot net dont use that, use cent browser

See what I mean about the bajillion security-in-mind Chromium forks?

i get what your saying chromium is shitty

No no, not at all. Chromium is just fine. It's just designed to be a not-google bloated general web browser.
As opposed to a highly secure browser to protect you from the NSA

except chromium still uses binary blobs from google, shitdip.

Nice meme.
I said not google bloated. Not non-existant.

use the chrlauncher from woolys, noob.

Yeah. That has been established.
Try actually reading the thread before you post.

>noob
What are you 12? How's your minecraft server coming along?

I'm still using firefox because my windows 98 machine doesn't have the system requirements to run anything else.

>m..mom, I told that user about my minecraft server again

What is a good dark theme for chromium?

It doesn't respect the free software distribution guidelines

Sent from my TouchWiz Galaxy S5

package management for Windows

github.com/horst3180/arc-theme
Download this. There are themes in the Extras Folder.

>It doesn't respect the free software distribution guideline
Finally, someone provides an actual reason for not switching.

I see. Seems... interesting?

Seems to be working...?

>set up fresh firefox profile
>see this

is this shit real? FUCK YOU MOZILLA

I like Firefox because it isn't involved with Google, and because I only have 4GB RAM

>when I am perfectly happy with it

For now, user. For now.

Mouse gestures redox.

I require rocker gestures that start with a middle click.

I tried all of the top mouse extensions on chrome and not a single one was capable of it.

Why do you hate women?

Yeah, I got annoyed of chromium's scrolling on Sup Forums but I might switch back because Firefox still bloats despite multi process.
I don't, its just not firefox related.

- tab bar not scrollable
- can't set it to load tabs upon view
these are a deal-breaker, makes chromium utterly unusable

I ran Firefox since I built my 5930k win7 system. After all the extensions I loved finally migrated to chrome but one I decided to give it up

I used chrome at work forever but never at home

FUUUUK its so much faster as a person that does far out of the ordinary super heavy browser usage its better than FF hands down just for the quarantined tabs crashing

can't deal with chrom(e)iums shitty backwards ass tab management. If I'm working on something, I often have a lot of tabs open.

With chromium, after like 10 minutes I have no idea what tab contains what, I can just see the stupid fucking favicon which then dissappears altogether after like 20 minutes (keep opening tabs etc).

>dropped

Like 75% of the reason of why I still use Firefox is because Classic Theme Restorer lets me put my tabs below the address bar. FUCK having tabs on top.

What you Sup Forumsuys think about Iridium?

No tab groups
No tab load on demand
No ui editing
Chrome is only good for light casual browsing

I've been running regular Firefox since like 2008 with some basic extensions. What am I missing out on?

My reasons:
Addons:
FireGestures (no Chrome-based mouse gestures addon is as versitile)
Save My Tabs (incrementally automatically backup all your tabs)
Tree Style Tab (can't inb4 this addon, you new to the Internet or something?)

Currently running 337 tabs. Can Chrome do this? Didn't think so.

Also, Firefox (Aurora, actually) is comfy, whereas Chrom* is not.

>Closing Firefox releases all the memory
>Closing Chrome only releases a tiny bit
Proof that Firefox has better memory management. I can't stand softwares that still holds memory after closing them.

>suggesting cent browser
>freeware shit based on an open source project
epic

also I don't know why, but ungoogled chromium is the fastest version of chromium I've had. Tried the latest chromium and chrlauncher and both always worked like shit, even the UI lagged(example: when you move tabs around the top bar)
too bad every other site has the https bug

>not wanting to be disturbed inside neet bubble of depressive hate and cynicism even when it comes with literally zero payload

Because I hate change and I like my addons

So how much ram does Firefox eat up with all that Bull shit running?

>it's this thread again
Because Firefox is better.

Currently, just over 1GB, but I have multiprocess set to 3, and as I'm using Aurora, multiprocess works with addons.

>all that bullshit
Yeah, try opening 337 tabs in Chrome, and see how well the browser runs after several hours.

Mozzarella's support page has ZERO useful info on why the fuck their bullshit browser's using a 90% of my RAM; it just keeps getting higher and higher
All that's working is Privacy Badger, Noscript and HTTPS Everywhere.
At first I thought it as adblocker shit, so I just updated my hosts file and disabled it, again with this shit, im tired already; this shit should be illegal

Why is it using so much memory? It's using a tiny fraction of the memory on my computer. How much do you have? 1GB?

Why are you using those 3 addons? I've never needed privacy badger, what does it do and why should you care to have it installed?

Why are you using NoScript? NoScript is so 2014, uMatrix is the new best thing.

Why are you using HTTPS Everywhere? It does tend to break websites.

Where is your uBlock Origin? Why are you using so few addons? I use 20+ addons and Firefox takes less than 20% of my computer's memory.

Yes, Firefox is horrible. That is precisely why optimization is on high priority for Firefox this next year.
They're going to implement much of the stuff and concepts from servo.

However, knowing firefox, they could neither beat chrome in features OR performance.
When they start focusing on performance now, they'll probably fall behind drastically in new web standards.

Also firecucks, why the fuck do you STILL not support the HTML5 input types for dates and color? Do you have any idea how troubling this is for everyone else?

On an older thinkpad, I have 4; kinda lazy to install more.
FF begin at 400mb and after use get to 1.8gb with only the newtab open and I don't understand what it keeps cached and where, I don't understand the about:memory page much. Trying other setting it about:config now.
I've had only one site broken from httpserywhere;
uBlock definitely impacts the ram usage. The few things not covered by the hosts file are yt ads, fb sponsered ads and gmail ads.

Why are you using so many addons? I just want relative privacy, safe and fast browsing, no clutter.

Not abs. sure what exactly I did, but with the newer setting I started ff at 300mb, just open 4-5 sites browsed on each one, closed them all and it was already 750; the recommended RAMback addon did just about shit-all.
These were the settings before; any of you guys care to comment and share your knowledge without stooping to 'get more RAM'?

Among others:
FireGestures (if you're not using some form of mouse gestures, you're doing it wrong)
Google Image Search (have you ever needed to reverse search an image? For me, it's every day, quite often multiple times a day)
Greasemonkey (if you're not using scripts, you'r doing it wrong)
I don't care about cookies (if you live in or near the EU, you need this)
Image Search Options (iqdb reverse image search, enough said)
Open With (I don't watch YouTube in my browser, I use Baka Mplayer so that I can speed up video playback, and the Open With addon makes it easy to link to external players)
Save My Tabs (Incrementally automatically backup your tabs. Have you ever lost tabs? I have, it only tends to happen once every other year, but when you have 100+ tabs and suddenly they're all gone, this is a saving grace)
Space Next (ala Opera Presto)
Tab Mix Plus (again, if you don't have this installed on Firefox, you're doing it wrong)
Tree Style Tabs "
uBlock Origin (Hosts file is no substitute for this)
uMatrix (the best script blocker available currently)

Do I even have to elaborate further as to why I use these?

Mind you, I'm using Aurora, not Firefox. Sounds like your profile is fucked. Delete your entire installation, install Aurora, and you should be good to go.

Mouse gestures- what for, I use keyboard and thinkpad nipple.
Reverse image search I use maybe once a month. duckduckgo bangs allow easy access to most sites
greasemonkey- scripts, really?
You're right about the cookies thing
I've never lost a tab and I hate have more than a few open.
no clue
had it, didn't like it,
don't like it
99% it is even a better substitution
uMatrix- thought it was supposed to be hard to get into. Will get it sooner or later.

I used aurora before, smartass, I've used nightly, as well. They all swelled up. And the differences minor if any barely significant between the stable release and those. Mind you, I'm not a fedora-wearing gtard. Just asking, if anybody here knows.
I remember chromium years ago eating up my ram, too. Can't remember opera's performance. Iceweasel or FrostyFox or whatever the stable FOSS firefox was- I had some comfort issues with it, can't remember.
There's gotta be something I've fucked or that is shitty by default in the settings somewhere.