/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

gphg.org/horlogerie/en/prize-list-16
youtube.com/watch?v=F-EVTHLTnBM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also, I didn't bother posting about it recently, but the GPHG for this year was decided.

Hermes won nothing to my surprise.
gphg.org/horlogerie/en/prize-list-16

The Gronefeld win I called. It had the remontoire mechanism. We talked the other day about how remontoire is a way to deal with varying power output from a mainspring as it winds down. The MB&F was my other called win.

How water resistant is a basic Seiko 5? Is it ok to shower with?

Don't shower with your watch on, heathen.

Third for ignore steinshit and deep blue posts

Is there a "Most useless website" entry? Because I'd like to enter Ederhard.
Half of the options don't work, and the "Technical Data" sheet is a fucking joke.

Anyone who showers or sleeps with their watch on is a slob, a pig and a prole. I'm not even exaggerating.

have about 180 to drop for a diver. here are my options

>used skx__
could get one for around 160 shipped
>mint condition mako II
around the same price
>8/10 mako I USA
probably around 170 shipped

Don't know which one to get, I like them all and the mako I has sapphire crystal and hacking movement, while the mako II has mineral and hacking.

Opinions?

forgot options 3

>citizen promaster automatic
should be between 140-170

I need a high quality oper8tor watch that won't attract attention. What are my options? My phone died the other day and I realized that a watch would be very nice to have.

GW-5600 maybe?

I really love the look of the Contograf, and the use of the bezel instead of a 3rd subdial.

Their website is trash but, believe it or not, it's actually much better than it used to be. It was a 720×480 fixed box before that everything was in.

They also charge a fucking lot for watches not particularly impressive.

A regular old square g-shock.

Creation does free shipping on an SKX013 for 185.

/wt/ Has gotten kind of shit over the past year. Lets bring it back to it's former glory.

Please don't get a mako when the ray is so sexy.

mako I usa has a better dial, but I can't find the ray for cheap

naaa

sleep with a watch fine but dont shower with it, whats the point on doing that?

get a vostok

cheapos start at 55€ and de premiums at 120€

Ray has best dial. USA looks a shit.

>USA has better dial

Ya OK bud

if you wait around on ebay or (((leddit))) they pop up for around $100 pretty regularly

>citizen promaster automatic
>should be between 140-170
Fucking where?

People sell watches on rebbit? Whaaaaaa

So you faggots don't want to make a watch podcast huh

r/watchexchange or something like that. I got my ray from someone there and will probably get a SARB there or on WUS at some point in the next year or so.

I think it's an interesting idea, but I don't think I could contribute very much. The logistics could also be somewhat difficult to to both timezones and people having that real life shit. What sort of content did you have in mind?

Somewhat related to this question, but would it be safe (for the watch) to wear one while shooting trap and skeet? Would mechanical divers hold up or would it be better to stick to quartz, such as mdv106.

A few of us get to get together on skype or whatever and discuss watches for an hour.
Preferably with a lot of shit-flinging and brand wars
There's actually a pretty big vaccum in watch related media. If idiots like TGV and archie can get thousands of views we can too.
We can shill it on rebit and wus too if you guys want.
The consensus on shooting with a mechanical watch is still kinda split
Just get a g-shock or an MDV106 like you mentioned and avoid the hassle.

Is 140 a good price for a ray II?

I know I'm gonna get a lot of "poorfag!" responses but how do you guys manage to be watch fans when these watches cost 3k USD above? Do you even have any of the watches you oogle?

Same way people can be car enthusiasts when cars can be over 100k.

If it's in good condition, I think so, it's a lovely watch. Also you would have to live with knowing you could have saved 20-40 burgerbucks by waiting.

Err, yea perhaps its best to wait until spring time. If the ray II hits a hundred bucks, the ray I should be around 80 bucks by then.

Disregard that, I suck cocks.
I missed the 'ii'. That sounds a lot better for a ii than a first series.

I have never really talked watches with people IRL for close to that long, but if you think it could stay interesting for that long then I would be down.

Is Stuhrling really a terrible brand?

youtube.com/watch?v=F-EVTHLTnBM

Am I the only person who thinks this style of watch is stupid?

If you want to see the movement on the face, get a skeleton watch. This "half-skeleton" thing is just lop-sided, oblong, and dumb, cramming the dial up top so the face is mostly empty space.

Yea, the ray one I can get for a 100 bucks looking around forums and stuff, but I haven't seen the ray II dip that low. Probably won't stray from 150ish until the next gen 2bh

The half skeleton isn't the problem then. It's that it has small hands; but there are skeleton watches like that too.

Tourbillon watches normally show off the tourbillon.

>I have never really talked watches with people IRL for close to that long, but if you think it could stay interesting for that long then I would be down.

There's a million things we can talk about, I wouldn't worry about longevity
Anyone else interested?

>as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.
kek not really

Nothing wrong with that. I sleep with my watch, it's a great way to keep my automatic wound up. I don't shower with it, but nothing wrong with that.

No, but chinese.

I'm interested in listening to it

It's a sin, user.

please do take it off.

but if you don't, rest comfortably with the assurance that water resistance is one of the Five Things of the seiko five brand.

think of shooting as the baseline test for whether a mechanical watch is worth the case in which it's installed.

Watch noob, I wear a $12 Casio from Walmart.

I'm looking for an analog dive watch good below -40°F (cold kills batteries in other equipment, not sure how long watch batteries last), preferably with a 24-hour face, some kind of glow or backlight, and resistent to shocks and impact. Any ideas on where to look?

second the 013 or 007/9

I have a similar dillema, but I don't know if I can justify that money for an 7s26. It's an obsolete movement at this point

there is literally nothing wrong with an 7s26 for a $180 diver/beater

it's not like you will have difficulty finding another movement or getting service if for some reaosn it fucks up

>tfw no high end luxury watch

You should look into what people are doing with silicon in watch movements nowadays. There's some pretty advanced shit.

NH36a replacement for the seiko skx is like 60 bucks dude. Get a used skx and swap the movement out. Or buy a new skx and buy an NH36 once the 7s26 hits the shitter.

Had to look this up for my amusement, and look at all this cognitive dissonance.

Poor dude actually thinks he paid a fair price for a quasi-high end watch, when in reality he got scammed HARD into paying out the ass for a legit piece of shit.

At least you don't own a TAG, user

WTF

he dropped around 4k USD for that shit? Could have bought himself a Tudor black bay or pelagos for less el oh el

talking about reddit

Getting into watches by starting off with a Fossil is like cumming and farting after 5 seconds when you first have sex.
Relatively common, but sure as fuck nothing to be proud of either.

but normies don't know tudor. they know rolex, tag and omega. because that's what they see in the ads.

Quartz guts are disgusting!

why would you post this as a reply to that picture?

>12 points

Tag and Leo, the perfect partnership.

I'm absolutely in love with this 18 carat, rose gold TAG Heuer Carrera watch purchased from the beautiful city of Perth. Made with sapphire infused glass that only diamond can scratch, I've spoiled myself with this gorgeous timepiece. The calibre 16 movement has been crowned as the most successful automatic chronograph movement ever produced, completely handmade by man. It is also my very first day date watch and it will be interesting to see if it becomes an important feature that Will depend on over time. I hope you all enjoy this watch as much as I do.

he's wearing that watch all wrong

joe marketing said that the watch had to be right side up in the ad.
also, it really looks like it has just been edited in.

>It's a nice piece, enjoy it! Luxury is a feeling, an experience. As long as you get that feeling, then who cares.

>I hope you all enjoy this watch as much as I do.
What did he mean by this?

They probably bought a stock photo of him and edited it in, he just signed a contract not even knowing what watch he is even promoting. And then people gobble that shit up

An automatic(auto winding mechanical) will probably be more resistant to cold, all dive watches glow. seiko skx007 is a popular affordable one

idk, thats a pretty shitty ad, i'm sure it would just be in an airport, where nobody looks at it twice, if even a first.

>it's actually much better than it used to be
Now. I'm by no means an expert in webdev. But, just how much would a half decent web developer charge to teach those idiots HOW TO LIST A FUCKING MOVEMENT ON THE GOD DAMNED WEBSITE

They don't make any movements, they just buy them. That's why they don't list them.

>Don't prove me wrong

Wow. Reddit must have really hurt his feelings. Maybe someone should tell him to come here instead. If for no other reason so we can call him an idiot without having to signup for that stupid fucking website.

I'm aware, but even brands like Steinhart list what fucking movement they use. Christopher Ward too. Just because you don't make the movement doesn't mean people don't want to know what it is before fucking buying it.

"Hover to zoom" doesn't actually provide a larger image, it just offsets it about a half inch down and to the right.

Not when it's done properly for tourbillon watches. It's stupid when they take a regular movement and then take a chunk out of the face that shows like 1/3rd of the balance behind a bunch of undecorated shit or have a cheap ass looking bridge with a fake tourbillon cage.

Like pictured is dogshit.

but its a skeleton bro! so cool bro!

It's a weird kind of mentality: "validate my expensive purchase or I don't care about your opinion and I'm going to go lalalalala until you tell me my watch is amazing". Literally every watch posted there is hailed as the second coming of jesus christ in good health. If everyone has good watches then where are all the bad ones at?
Then again this kind of mentality is prevalent everywhere, it's just that places like Sup Forums will not shy away from telling the honest opinion "everything is shit" which you couldn't get elsewhere. How would you learn anything if everybody coddled you like plebbit and you was always right and could never do no wrong?

>Never do not wrong
So... always doing wrong?

Do you even know what type of movement that is? Spoilers: it isn't quartz.

>tfw too intelligent to spend 4k on a tag
The retard could have bought a used explorer II for that.
Or DONT BUY A FUCKING LUXURY ITEM WHILE YOU'RE A STUDENT

Get a bulova snorkel or lobster, my snorkel chronograph was only 150. Fucking awesome watch.

>WHAAAAAHH I'M A POOR STUDENT, I CAN'T AFFORD FOOD, GUBBERMINT GIB ME MONEY!

So. Let's sum it up. Students spend their loans on:
>2k Facebook machines
>4k watches
>alcohol
>Not food

>skx13 for 185
damn. I want to cop one but I have to worry about gifts first.

Not me
I:
>pirate textbooks
>Usually cook my own food
>Only buy something if I need it
>Thinkpad instead instead of applel machines
>Contain my watch autism to cheaper pieces for now
>Don't drink
I'll be leaving undergrad with 0 debt
>tfw grad school is gonna cost ~$150k regardless

better than a sub

Why is the case so blocky though?
And all in the same matte finish.

Makes a 500$ Seiko look like a work of art by comparison with its rounded shapes and different types of polishing and brushing.

I think the finish is due to it being a titanium case rather than steel.

Oyster cases don't exactly have a lot of finishing
You're right though, a Seiko MM300 for example is finished to a much higher degree than any rolex or tudor diver, but the Pelagos is still a hell of a watch.
Lumed bezels just make my dick rock hard

>Why is the case so blocky though?
Subjective taste. I find it simple and beautiful

>And all in the same matte finish.
Same, subjective.

And I'm not a Tudor fanboy. I've never spent more than 300 eurocux on a watch, and I'm very content of what I own.

I get that, and maybe it's just that I haven't ever seen one in the flesh.

Got a wrist shot? Also, what's your wrist size?

I love Seiko but I'm starting to hate the 7s26 movement.

- my first 7s26: I've dropped it BOOM fucked up
- my second 7s26: I've fallen onto the ground, the watch didn't hit anything: BOOM fucked up

So there ya go Seiko, I'm going ecodrive for my daily beater.

I'm not the user that posted the Tudor. I don't own one.

>Why is the case so blocky though?
>And all in the same matte finish.
Rolex doesn't do flourishes, ironically enough.
They finish their watches simply and efficiently.

I mean, just look at this.
The lugs don't even seem to be made for human wrists.

kek, fossil really is the smelly premature ejaculator of watches. also worn by individuals that can be described as such.

Stop the presses, a 500m dive watch has a lug to lug of 50mm? That shit is unheard of.

Not just the distance, but the shape as well.
They almost jut straight out.