Guys I fell for the 4K meme

Guys I fell for the 4K meme.
>hear these stories that windows 10 has reworked how apps are scaling
>buy Precision 15
>it comes with 15" 4k screen
>launch various apps
>only native microshit apps scale properly
>everywhere else its just a big fucking mess all over
I literally now run 4k screen at 1080p and enjoying every bit of it.

so is 4k scaling problems limited to windows 10? I don't intend to go less than 4k but that'll suck if I have to scale everything manually on windows 7 or windows 8.

>using a fucking cone in 2016+1
>not MPC-HC
shiggy diggy

if it ain't broke don't fix it, in before someone posts a screenshot of a corrupt video file being played in VLC

4k is a meme and it was only good for reading japanese fonts です 先輩

That's the VLC developers fault, doesn't make 4K a meme

>doesnt work in 4k
>just ok decoder
>objectively better things out there for windows

>"it aint broke"

You sure you didn't get ripped off by Jesus?

I shill for 4k every day.

But holy fuck.

Don't ever expect scaling to work.

Ever.

If you're not going to run it at native then don't get a 4k display.

Simple a that.

I got a 4k for black friday, watched a nature video on youtube in 4k, shit bricks
anything other than videos and gaming is a pain though because 2small, the gui scale only works for a few programs like OP said
the technology is worth it, windows just hasn't adapted to it yet

oh shit, it made all the words incoherent and belonging to a retarded language as well, fuck

>4K
>windows 10
>not using MacOS

You deserve this! Mac OS (or OS X, whatever!) is the only system with a TOTAL and EXCELLENT support for HIDPI, both from the OS as well as from applications.

Windows is far behind in terms of good support for >4K screens. I do not know how support is currently on GNU/Linux, so I'd rather not comment on it.

>use mac
>can only make software for a small % of the market
>It's barely better than a toy

Or (if you're a gaymer) you could use it as a daily driver on 1080p and only use the 4K if you want to, in game. I'm pretty sure youre a normie consumerist fag. If not you won't even make this blog post.
Or dont fault everything 4K at some apps that dont scale to your shitty needs and just do what said or live with "good enough" standards

>15'' 1080p at 100% scale is a comfortable size to see shit on screen

no

also, what scaling percentage did you use with 4k? Windows only does things properly when scale is at 100, 200, 300, etc, and not anything in between

> L T
> T

mpc doesnt scale in 4k as well dipshit

looks like you done fucked it, broliukas.

GNU/Lunix bros, ever experience any scaling issues on your UHD/4K? Gnome appears to have quite the range of scaling options and i'd like to think they all work as intended... right?

son, being bilingual is all it takes to realise how utterly shite English truly is.

Can you explained why these "corrupt videos files" play without problems in other players but not in VLC? I'm honestly curious since I know next to nothing about the subject and am using MPV because Sup Forums recommended it and VLC had these "corrupt video file" issues. I can literally start playing a file right now and it will play fine in mpv but has issues in VLC. The files that show these are usually 10bit animus if that matters.

>GNOME
>Working

lmao

Labas , broli :^)

Klaidą padarei, kad 4k mėmei pasidavei. 1440p aukso viduriukas šiaip.

>I literally now run 4k screen at 1080p and enjoying every bit of it.
Why the fuck don't you just run the program with DPI scaling disabled?

>GNU/Lunix bros, ever experience any scaling issues on your UHD/4K?
Yes. Any program that uses wxWidgets < v3 freaks the fuck out with scaling.

ayy brol :^)

Just run at 200% and not 250 you retard

it's literally 1080p but with more pixels

You wouldn't have a problem with mpv, it scales its osd by default and is a better player.

Windows 7 doesn't even have scaling, iirc.
The problem appears in both 8 and 10.
Steam and Arduino IDE are basically unusable. I got a tablet that needs scaling due to fullHD resolution at ten inches and half of my software simply does not even consider scaling.

its not just VLC. numerous apps have problems. Including MPC. Tried it at 200% and it still was clusterfuck small. Only works when DPI scaling is off but that just fucking proves how shit windows 10 actually is. Nothing ever fucking works if you dont fucking spend hours tweaking shit yourself.

mpc-hc does not have any scaling issues

Windows 7 has better scaling than Win8 or 10. It actually has two methods, both the legacy and the newer one found in W8/10, assuming you like it.

>animus

>mfw i see you people like you in public

>15" 4K panel
WHY.TIFF

Because consumerism and the marketing jew

W10 also has two scaling methods.
But yeah, it's not better than 7, it's still up to 3rd party apps to implement proper scaling, Windows can't do much here.

to be honest I didnt know it was coming with 4k. My job was paying for the laptop and I had to be quick to select what I want so I just picked the top one. Jokes on me h-haha.

macOS doesn't have this problem. :^)

Did you set your fonts to bold?

t. mactoddler

>trusting anything display and scaling related on a non-Apple device

Bought it upon yourself. Even a $500 Mac Mini can scale shit properly.

>doesn't make 4K a meme
but 4k is still pretty memeish though.

verpiss dich wieder nach syrien, du dreckiger flüchtling

kill yourself
h-haha

I have a laptop with a 4k screen running linux (+ KDE)

Used to have the same problem, but now the Qt and GTK+ ecosystem have gotten their shit together and support 4k in almost everything. VLC and other old Qt4 applications still look a little bit unaesthetic, but they're ok (see screenshot.) For the applications that really misbehave, it's mostly a matter of finding Qt5/gtk3 alternatives, which is doable. The only thing that keeps pissing me off is matlab.

Qt5/GTK3 apps even correctly change their UI scale when moving them between screens (e.g. from 4k monitor to external lowdpi 1080p monitor)

also, tunneling remote applications through x11 looks like shit (ant-sized GUIs) -- no idea if there's anything you can do about it

If you don't want any of this hassle, your best option is really to wait with 4k until wayland is out (which will support OSX-style upscaling, I think.) But overall it's pretty tolerable now, compared to like a year ago.

>KDE
>not unity
kys

stay pleb, my friend :^)

BY THE FUCKING WAY
How do you run KDE on a fucking kernel? Are we even in real life here?

>using the smiley with a carat nose

>blames windows when developers fail to scale their apps properly

Can you send me the wallpaper? I can't find the png version

I bought one 27inch recently because of the 4 1080p meme. I gotta say if you do 4 1080 shit is very small. If you text scale you can't see as much in one window.

Maybe should have gone 32 inch

Should have gone with 144hz friend, my cursor is so smooth it feels REAL

hnnng no regrest 180 for the Philips with Controller that has custom display presets for gaymes

1920x1200 master race

So true

Get:
-a low input lag mouse
-a smooth mousepad, like an Artisan Shidenkai
-a high refresh rate display with low display lag

And your cursor finally starts to feel like an extension of your hand. It's simply amazing to have real time controls.

Having a normal mouse and display can easily add 40+ms of delay alone.

Works absolutely fine for me you must be doing something wrong

Windows 7 scaling was complete shit when I tried it. The mouse icon and icons and text within most windows system applications were blurry. One thing that was really shit was how on installation screens for programs, the whole window was blurred.

I also have a 4k laptop. Many 3rd party programs don't scale this is true. Most do scale in my experience

My biggest problem is that I'll set the scaling at 150% to I can see everything all nice on my laptop screen, but then I pipe everything out to a 1080p external display quite often, and its always scaled up too, with everything zoomed in hella.

I also tend to leave it running at 1080p and its fine that way. I just wish I could still have 4k wallpapers with every other UI element scaled to 1080p

For programs that don't have hidpi scaling support, you should open the program properties and check on "disable display scaling on high DPI scalings". Even though hidpi scaling is disabled, the text still looks way better with your display on a high resolution.

>Before hidpi scaling is disabled

Cool advice dude
I'll def give that a try, I think It will solve most of my 4k problems

>this thread
And people are still saying 4k isn't a meme

>After disabling it.

You can see the program icons and shit are smaller but the text is still sharp and clear.

Windows also cannot scaled individual displays. If you scale 150% it scales 150% on *ALL* displays. Windows a shit for scaling.

As of Win 10, individual scaling per display actually DOES work.

It does look like shit however, since it will scale DOWN the main display. It's fucking pants-on-head retarded and whoever orchestrated that at Microsoft should be shot.

Suppose you have a High PPI main display, and a regular 1080p Low PPI second display.

You can scale the main at 200% and the second at 100%, but instead of just rendering it normally on the second monitor, everything on the second screen will first be scaled UP to 200%, then scaled DOWN to 100% again and consequently look like garbage.

in my Win10 install the display settings pages don't seem to give me any options of that sort.

Is this feature hidden somewhere else? i'd like to experiment with it

>buys a 4k monitor
>It has the size of something that should have been a 1440p monitor

you brought this onto yourself dumbass, should just have thought "what does 1080p looks like on an ~13 inch screen?"

osx doesn't have this problem

literally the first slider, just below the detect and identify buttons

I can't believe Windows still struggles with this when Apple figured it out around 5 years ago. What a fucking joke. Why do people put themselves through this kind of headache?

>If it ain't broke
>But please don't post the actual evidence that it is broke!

Let's be honest, there's only one operating system that has properly working scaling - Android.

true that. microsoft could fucking learn a thing or two, but ofc theyre better off spending their r&d on spying soft