Indestructible

Anyone else still holding on to that /ONETHING/ that just won't die or you refuse to let die?

A friend of mine had an old iPod Classic that got bricked a few years back. I spent around 5 minutes and managed to restore it to full working order. I've always known that these things were built to last. I'm thinking of buying one myself from the used market.

Other urls found in this thread:

electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/29955/how-do-i-fix-an-omron-d2fc-f-7n-microswitch-from-unwanted-clicks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

s u p e r n i n t e n d o

Another photo

I have an original Gameboy still.

>pajeet hands

Leave.

Put it in the curry

Bought it in December 2008. Still plays for ~15 hours straight. 4GB. Durable as fuck. Cost me, like, 25 EUR. Loving the shit out of it.

I have been using it on an almost daily basis for 8 straight years, shit is cash.

Motherfucker that's the filter I put when I edited it. Anyway I'm a yellowskin Sup Forumsook.

I had a greyscale clickwheel ipod from like 2003 that broke a while ago. feels fucking bad man.

>complaining about Indians
user it's just a MEME. Sure the Sup Forums meme spread but that doesn't mean we suddenly hate on people for arbitrary reasons.

My phones.
W900i
Galaxy nexus
Fairphone 1

They just never break. I shouldn't even replace them because I don't have any need (especially not past the nexus) but I can't help myself.
I'm a material whore.

That's a nice fingerprint you have there.
Would be a pity if you used it for authentication.

old ipod and meme keyboard

I know, right? Just realized how juicy it looked when I uploaded the photo. Cool shit.

No fingerprint authentication yet, unfortunately.

My DeathAdder 2013 refuses to die. Where is the garbage build quality I was promised?

I'll never get rid of this mouse. I just ordered replacement switches because the left click is finally starting to double click rarely, once those are in I'll get another decade out of it.

>buy Clip+ because of Sup Forums shills
>have it a year
>battery barely last 3 hours now

I don't like the iPod Classic because it sounds like shit.

Chances are the left click doubleclicking is fixable. If I remember correctly, they use the same switches as Razer mice, and it's just a case of popping the switch housing off, taking out the metal spring, flattening it a little with your thumb (not too much), and putting it back together. What's happening is the metal spring is bent out of shape so it's 'bouncing' a little after each click, and sometimes shorting the contacts when it's not supposed to.

electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/29955/how-do-i-fix-an-omron-d2fc-f-7n-microswitch-from-unwanted-clicks

This worked for my DeathAdder after I started getting random doubleclicks after 6 months. It's been fine for almost 3 years since.

I have a Motorola Xoom buyed in the first day. The thing still works. It is almost indestructible.

Fuck off pajeet

Thanks for the advice, I actually already did that before and it worked for a few months, when I did it I broke one of the latches though which worries me. I ordered 20 replacements for $1 total so I figure I'm going to de-lid it again and just replace both switches with new ones. The leaf spring and cover itself. Outside of bending I hear they can get dirty and scratched to the point they no longer contact correctly, I'm not sure if that's the case or not but I figure a replacement can't hurt at this point.

You must be kidding. The Clip sounds like literal garbage compared to the Classic. I bought one because of Sup Forums shills as well and I was disappointed at first because of the sound quality and then the battery life. It barely lasted me more than 10-12 hours. I only really stopped using it because I lost it in a mall's fitting room.

I'll bet you've used plenty Pajeet resources on YouTube so don't go hating on them.

My old ThinkPad T40. Missing half its screws, held together with duct tape, has been abused horribly in its life, yet it refuses to die.

I just fixed my dad's up with a 1tb ssd a new battery new housing and a whole bunch if his Cd's as ALAC shit is cash.

Wolfson DAC> What ever is in the clip+

No, I'm not an Android user looking for reviews of shit I'm thinking about buying. I understand that's what they're into on YouTube.

To be honest I say it's simple, but I have tiny hands/fingers and even I struggled getting that shitty piece of metal back on. I think someone with larger hands would need to use tweezers/pliers.

>buy a clip
>kill the 3.5mm jack in it within 1y due to not using an extension w/ a right-angle adapter for my headphones
>rinse and repeat

I was talking more about all their obscure programming resources.

Ive got one that went through hell in the military with me ands still kickin. Last realy great apple product.

>The Clip sounds like literal garbage compared to the Classic.

It sounds good with Rockbox, infinitely better than the Classic.
The Classic is garbage.

Why would it not work? Am I the only one here that is not surprised when things don't break in a few years?

Not him, but after the fifth gen apple started using shittier and shittier DACs cause they realized the fucktarded normies that bought their products didn't really care whar dac was used for their 32kbps limewire rips.

Still probably better than clip though.

Fuck off Sup Forums I already bought the Clip+ and I'm cool with you but don't lie like this what the fuck man>

>kill the 3.5mm jack in it within 1y due to not using an extension w/ a right-angle adapter for my headphones

nigga what

As if the right-angle adapter isn't on the same 3/4-year-long obsolescence plan as the rest of the tech industry.

Pic related, my Sony MDR-XB500 from 2012. Shit starts crackling and giving up on me. I'm sad, cause I fucking loved those headphones.

It's a right pain in the ass, but I like this mouse too much to not put up with it. It must have taken me like 20 minutes to get the metal leaf on correctly with tweezers. The worst part was just getting the lid off without breaking the hinge (which I did break, only one side though), it's so close to the board on this mouse that getting something under it was impossible, I had to go from the side.

I have no reason to lie. The iPod Classic sounds like ass.

Just solder on a new plug, it's not that hard.

Solder on a new plug you idiot

I don't program, but even if did I'd be referring to all the PDFs from the entire Computer Knowledge MegaCollection which I have before anyone on YouTube.

>learning about programming from the people who have single-handedly ruined the web and made computer applications bloated as fuck

a right angle adapter costs $3 and is easy to replace and will be buyable forever
a 3.5mm jack in a clip is a pain to fix as I don't have any precision soldering shit
a 3.5mm jack in thinner devices generally means buying a spare part, which may or may not be available

I've been using shure IEMs for the past year and a half though, and the connector on those isn't bulky enough to cause any real strain, so it's not something I've needed to worry about in a while.

That's a fucking lie Sup Forums fuck off already with your bullshit. I'm listening to the iPod Classic right now and I clearly remember the Clip+ sounding like paper being torn to pieces compared to this.

racism doesn't belong here, you shits

How does that change the fact that the shit is made to last a laughable 3/4 years, you absolute walnuts?

It's helpful when you need to learn an ancient framework that isn't in your computer knowledge mega collection :^)

I'm not denying their videos are awful but they definitely do at least help to some degree.

That's true, and repairability is king. Shitty quality is not.

It doesn't.
I'm just pointing out your retardation.
>I'm sad, cause I fucking loved those headphones.

I hate to break it to all of you but they all sound like ass compared to a proper home setup (inb4 that's not portable)

Poo in it, Prakesh.

My netbook from 2009. This thing just won't die. I only paid like $300 for it so I haven't been very careful about how I handle it but it still works perfectly. I only added a 1GB stick of RAM when I got it and recently replaced its HDD (that still was perfectly fine) with an SSD.
After 7 years of almost daily service and many 200+ days of uptime from when I was using it as a server it's my best tech purchase to this date.

/shilling

>$1
just buy a new one?

>retardation = when something you've enjoyed and paid for prematurely stops functioning properly

WEW LAD

Sodering on a new one seems like a longer lasting decision than this. But thanks for the image, user.

Not the guy you're speaking to but their accents are hard to understand. Their teaching methods are inefficient and it is widely known that Indian students cheat in academics.

'm pretty sure that if I didn't sell off all the netbooks I used to own that they would still be working to this day. It's a crazy thing that we traded off all these hardware devices with "lots of moving parts" for supposedly better stuff just because they have less things that might break. But surprisingly the old setup was way better, simply because if one thing breaks you only needed to replace that one thing. Whereas today if you break the touchscreen or the the glass on your phone, or for instance if your battery dies and it's non-removable, you basically have to throw your shit away unless you can repair it or have it repaired out of the abysmal warranty.

I miss the old technolo/g/y.

Here are my audio devices. The iPod classic(s) are the worst sounding out of all of them. It sounds like absolute shit.

I brought one of these from pawn store named "cash converters" for NZD$200, it had a half failing HDD and couldn't store shit. Almost didn't get a refund because the guy there was a fucking tightass. Swine.

Brought this one for NZD$20 and it only has scuffs. Best Facebook purchase.

It's the 160GB model.

This makes me sad, mine just died not too long ago

Oh wait, are you complaining that the cable of your headphones, not an adapter, broke? Why did you compare it to me talking about chinkshit $1 adapters to protect the longevity of my original headphone cables and devices?

I mean, I'd expect a chinkshit adapter to break in fairly short order, but it's extremely cheap compared to the time and equipment I'd need to repair the device, or the original cable.

Just send the thing back under warranty, or quit whining, buy some parts, and solder a new one on.

I would concede that the iPod would sound worse than the Walkman or whatever that DAP is but there is no fucking way that the garbage-tier Clip+ (which I really liked back when I used it despite that fact) sounds better. Just quit it Sup Forums

I should have verbally clarified that the cable is failing, even though it has fucking tape around it in the photo. Point taken, user.

Also Glorious Nippon Quality ≠ chinkshit.

Sure, it's fixable. It lasting for only 3-4 years is shit.

No arguing, just you best cheap shit

>not Rockbox

Might as well call this the iPod thread.

I don't know if this counts, but my processor. I have a Core 2 Quad Q9400 at 2.66Ghz. I love Socket 775 and especially Core 2 Quad processors. I see no point in upgrading. Does everything I need and plenty more. Granted this love won't last forever. I'll probably be forced to upgrade soon enough. DDR4 is cheaper than I thought and I'd only upgrade for 4K. Just because I love the resolution. My computer now can't handle 4K. At all.

Shame, but I'll milk it as long as possible.

I can assure you that the old ipods are far from indestructible. I dropped one out of a car thats about a foot off the ground and one of the platters in the HDD shattered.

It doesn't work on it. I did consider it for when replacement of HDD is needed to flash storage, but I couldn't figure out how to flash the softwares onto it.

>775
I only started building my own computers around this time, and I never was able to afford more than the best Pentiums for overclocking. I would have loved to have one of those chips of yours. I remember the other long-laster was the Q6600. Intel has fully jewed up the entire Core i line now, it's a shame. I copped a G3258 back when it was released and I am looking to hold onto it, but unfortunately it looks like a lot of newer games will actually be bottlenecked by it. Oh well. Time to save up I guess.

>I've always known that these things were built to last.
yeah those were the days before Apple literally starting gimping itself

I don't think I have the pic, but they used to have thick ends on their cables before the connector to prevent fraying. They got rid of them. They fray like crazy now. (They also get yellow, not sure if that's another instance of them cheaping out) I haven't even had anything Apple in ages. I had a pretty rough experience with the 4th gen iPod Touch, though. The actual iPod was pretty sweet. Worst that happened was a screen break from a drop, but the Genius bar replaced it for free and then I was more careful in the future. As for my earbuds and charging cable, though, they both got pretty beat up with what I'd consider normal or light usage. I had to replace the earbuds because the casing and everything started to break on one of them. The charging cable got yellow and hard exposed wire but I never bothered to replace it since it worked fine, just looked scary.

I wonder what it would take to make Apple try hard again.

>those mismatching replacement caps

I've got one or two of those on my model m's function row as well, but seeing yours makes me glad I don't have fucked arrow key caps

They're beyond this point I'm afraid. I wish I could still get one of the older iPods and MacBook Airs.

Which MacBook Airs were decent? I've been thinking of getting a used Mac off Craigslist lately, but I'm never sure what models to look for. I'm pretty good with my knowledge of used ThinkPads by now, but I don't really know where to learn about used Macs.

The MacBook Air is still a marvel of engineering. The late 2015 models were the best ones yet. I bought an 11-inch model a few months ago when I left the Windows ecosystem. I also left Android for iOS. The situation with Apple is not so great anymore but it's far far worse with Microsoft and lately, Google.

By the way, I myself am eyeing a used ThinkPad to use Windows on. I had been a regular in /tpg/ threads a couple years back, and have bought and sold a couple T60s and a couple X200s until I started working full time and got handed Office laptops (which I started to loathe, and the reason why I use a MacBook Air now).

Still I am thinking I can manage on my own with Windows 7 plus a ThinkPad, so I'll go with that again.

This fucker right here is made of only the finest adamantium

>Had for 10+ years at this point
>Battery still lasts 8+ hours of playing on a single charge
>Has gone through laundry numerous times
>Lost it for about 1.5 years at one point, ended up finding it in the bottom of the lint trap of our dryer after taking it apart. Thing immediately turned on and informed me the battery was low
>Has a dent in the back from when it was in my pocket when a buddy hit me with his car
>Only problem with the thing is the shuffle is pretty shit and follows a fairly predictable pattern

Such a fucking beautiful story. I want this, user.

Congrats on enjoying this fucker.

>shuffle is shit
What an annoying bug that is

>>Wolfson DAC> What ever is in the clip+

The Clip+ has a Wolfson DAC

Memes aside, my Nokia 3310, it was my first cellphone and I had it for 6 long, gruelling years.
>in the toilet
>stood on multiple times
>thrown out the bedroom window onto the pavement by my littl shit of an older sister
>that one time when my friends and I played "chicken" on the cul de sac (we were stupid kids) and it fell out my pocket and under the wheels of a Fiesta
>in the tumble drier
>lost in the snow for a day and a half from tabogganing down the subway cambers where I used to live
The phone never "shattered" because the phone was made of interchangeable chassis and components.
Any ground impact would just launch the plastic casing and buttons off, in which It was only a case of re-assembling all the parts together again, which was the coolest part.

I had at least half a dozen of those cases and Jelly buttons which I would swap out whenever I wanted - which likely aided its longlivity - and as a teenager, it felt like you were building this arsenal over time, operator as fuck.

I've the ipod photo from 2005, first in color. 30 Go. I got it 5 years ago for 30€ and still using it. It's running rockbox. So ones perfectly nice for me. The news ipod looks shit

How is the 11 inch air?
I'm thinking of getting one but it's expensive af.

>not buying the japanese made omron switches

plen

God dammit, I wish I knew about that before the Chinese ones arrived. Thanks for the tip, I might but a separate batch.

>using filters
Leave this place

I have that too, I got it in 08 or 09. Battery is starting to get a little buggy. It's my favourite player, only reason I changed was because I needed expandable storage.
These are my devices If I could expand the storage I wouldn't have changed.

got an 80 gig ipod classic

40 gigs are unwritable

but the remaining 40 gigs work just fine so its whatever

It has been fantastic so far and I can't really go back to a plastic laptop after this. The metal is nice to the touch especially when you move from a cool air conditioned place to a warmer one. It's spotless still even though Ive been using it without a case, and it's very lightweight as you can imagine

The performance is just about on par with what I expected. I mean before this I've only been really using netbooks and old ThinkPads, if not lower end to mid-range notebooks and some Pentium-based desktops that I built myself. This one flies with mac OS and I only ever really run into freeze ups if I have too many Chrome tabs open.

I've come to really enjoy using mac OS mainly because a lot of my work is just online and can be done through a browser. Also, many of the native apps I use on Windows are available on Mac and are often better performing. The problem is with gaming, of course. Not all of my Steam games are available for Mac. I haven't even really tried the lot of them but at least many of the Source and most popular titles work perfectly.

IT's actually fairly affordable now compared with what it was before. I got mine for about 8x what I paid for my first used ThinkPad, but it looks like it will be worth it barring any major fuck ups. I'll keep this one for a few years more

>IBM Model M manufactured 1991
>Microsoft WMO 1.1a manufactured 2003

Aey Monstercat Senpai

Thx for the review

Fuck yeah Bon Voyage is dank

My PSP Fat and DS still werks.

Vape Nati0n

Ofc

Also refuses to die. Ran over it with my car once

I've been using the same razer salmosa since 2009's cs1.6 lan days. it has always been my only mouse and its still gets beaten everyday by me playing csgo. Back when razer had to earn his reputation, now its chink garbage i guess.

I've still got one of those. Survived a hard fall onto the pavement where it almost split in two. Fun times.

This fucking FAGGOT is a Teclast T51 rebranded as a Nationite S:flo2. Almost everything about it is garbage. The interface is garbage, the file handling is garbage, the touch screen is garbage, the battery life was garbage until I decided to do away with the battery altogether. BUT, and this is very important. Its output stage includes a dedicated Wolfson chip for each channel, so the song it sings it so pure and clear and spacious that you basically want to kill yourself. So it sits on a little wooden block and drives my music setup like it has for the past 5 years, and when I want to play a particular song I can't, because it has no search function and the menus are too sluggish and glitchy to use. But it does teach me patience.

Not that long, but my ath-m50x headphones have lasted me two years so far with no issues whatsoever, unlike the cheap chinese ones I had before. My Microsoft wireless mouse + keyboard combo is four years old, also with no issues. That tiny blue LED in the mouse has been on for four years.

My brother has a white xbox 360 (known for having a short lifespan) that has gone almost 6 years without any error of operation, the usual lifespan on that model was maybe 2 years.

I used to "fix" those things for people by swapping out the heat clamps, the stock ones would warp the motherboard over time with heavy use.

Now this is anecdotal but everyone that was ever given to me for repair was CAKED with hard ass dust and people always said they forget and leave it on while they do something else then come back later to find their game still on.

I'm not saying those things are well designed but I am willing to be the majority of Xbox owners don't know how to take care of their electronics. My launch model lasted me all the way up until the slim came out, at which point I stopped using it but it would still work now if I got it. I didn't leave it running on a carpet and didn't accidentally leave it on and in game overnight.

To be fair, a lot of devices can be repaired by third party services, and it doesn't even cost that much either. One of my relatives had the battery replaced in his sony xperia Z1 for $40 and that cost included the battery (the Z1 has a non-removable battery). Same thing with screen replacement.