/hpg/ - Headphone General

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

massdrop.com/buy/headamp-pico-portable-dac-amp
amazon.com/Bravo-Audio-V2-Multi-Hybrid-Headphone/dp/B00ADR2DTG/ref=pd_sim_23_12?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00ADR2DTG&pd_rd_r=3MHNXBXV27CKJ13ZW4BW&pd_rd_w=p4iaj&pd_rd_wg=nukP3&psc=1&refRID=3MHNXBXV27CKJ13ZW4BW
schiit.com/products/fulla-2
youtu.be/B6JGyCW1S9g?t=275
youtu.be/ES8FQQE-WDE?t=61
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>comfy in my fostex thx-00 purpleheart

Former M50 user here, now on sony 7506's. Thinking about getting another pair of M50's because I really liked the sound quality. Is there anything else in the sub $250 range that is better? (Don't really care about whether it is closed or open back) Will mainly use them for music+podcasts and youtube videos. I get a lot of use out of my headphones and wear them for long periods of time so comfort is semi important.

I have a pair of T1s and

wow thread is dead af. anyways

>Budget
30 bucks, flexible
>Location
America
>Source
Laptop, Iphone
>Type of headphone
iem. I need them as durable as I can get in this price range
>Comfort level
They need to be able to fit into small ear canals. Thats all I ask really
>Sound signature
Doesn't matter, as long as its decently clear. A bit bass-y or v shaped would be ideal, but anything is fine because durability is my main concern
>Past headphones
As far as iem's go, I've had 35 dollar Vsonics which were shit in my opinion and only lasted me a month. I also have a 10 dollar pair of Monoprice iem's which have lasted me much longer. I didn't care for the sound in either of them but like I said durability is my main concern

btw by flexible, I mean I'm willing to pay anything if its worth the price, maybe upwards to 60 bucks or so if you showed me something virtually indestructible

Dt770s or 880s

how would I go about watercooling my speakers and amp? They're always thermal throttling

Jaybird x3 or Bose soundsport? The jaybirds don't really fit in my ear unless I use the foam tips and the wings so I'm considering the soundsports. Sound quality is important as well of course. Which one do you guys prefer?

better how? the 770's have a strong bass similar to the M50's and a better soundstage. They're also closed back like the M50's. but idk how you'll feel about the treble. Unless you can be more specific about what you want, I'd say just upgrading to the M50x would be your safest route.

>Budget:
0-200, flexible
>Location
US
>Source
laptop
>Type of headphone
full-sized.
>Open or closed
Closed, with good passive noise cancelling.
>Comfort level
Headpat tier. I do not understand the concept of tolerating uncomfortable headphones.
>Sound signature
Neutral. So long as I'm not getting distortion listening to music of varying genres, explosions, human sounds, and nature sounds, I'm good. Not much of an audiophile
>Past headphones
Razor Carcharias, HyperX Cloud 2 (current), Panasonic RP-HJE120-K (public)

The important attribute I'm looking for is wireless. I want something I can wander around a room and do chores and stuff while wearing.

No, I don't want to fiddle with a bluetooth receiver, I want a set designed to be wireless..

I've been using the aforementioned Panasonics for over 2 years, through running, shoving into pockets as I get off buses, and rolling around in a bag and getting snagged when pulling them out. Sound is still just fine, no interrupts or distortion that I've noticed. They're 8 dollars or something on Amazon.

Thank you very much for the help, I'll go for the Origen. Hopefully this will be the last piece of equipment I need for a while, really hurting without a pair of headphones right now.

>Vsonics only lasted a month
What did you do to them?
Anyway VSD1S are pretty damn good as far as IEMs go, you're not going to find anything better in that price range.

The

>Budget:
0-200, flexible
>Location
Indonesia
>Source
Dacport
>Type of headphone
full-sized.
>Open or closed
Open, alternative of V6 sony

>Comfort level
negligible
>Sound signature
alternative for MDR v6

>>The

To each his own. The sound they give off is really anything but clear. You're getting your money's worth, for better or worse.

What are your guy's thoughts on these? I'm looking to replace my shure se215s since they got stolen and they were never very comfortable. I was also looking as the RE-400s since they're cheaper but I don't know much about them

Roger Waters needs to give the headphones to somebody with good taste, "maybe we should re-do your vocal part and you could sing like you did in Pink Floyd instead of grunt talking, Mr. Waters"

v-shaped sound signature, but not so great on that price.

but then again it depends on your taste towards sound signature, i prefer ety hf5 with flat response

re400 has better sound than these.

grab them if you dont mind the risk of faulty unit. mine died within 6 months, driver problem.

Do you use an amp with them?

hell no, it pairs really well with my ipod classic gen 5 (wolfson dac inside)

T1 earrape just killed this user.

what kind of people prefer m50 like sound than 7506? aren't their bass dull?

Oh okay, I'll be using them with my S7 since my ipod classic died.

This

>What did you do to them?
nothing that I haven't done to my Monoprice's 3 times as much

what kind of animal leather would be best for MDR V6 replacement pads?

Glorious Nippon leather from Kobe cows licensed by Sony folded one thousand times

So, do you have anything in mind for my search?

AKG K712 user here. My mini-XLR connector is jammed. No matter how much I pull on it and press the little button, it won't release. Any hints?

Also quite happy with the headphone but any recommendation for another one?

>Budget
$250
>Location
Australia
>Source
FiiO E10K
>Type of headphone
Open, over-ear
>Comfort level
Need max comfort
>Sound signature
flat
>Past headphones
AKG K712

You can put the ZMF pads on them for ultimate comfy. Expensive, but by god is it worth it.

HD558 user here and they're great but looking for a closed back pair.

>Budget
$300 USD, but flexible
>Location
Canada
>Source
SMSL M3
>Type of headphone
Closed, over-ear
>Comfort level
Close to as comfy as the HD558s would be nice

this guy here, leaning towards beyer dt770s

are there any wood-backed headphones around or below the $300 level at all? pic related are beautiful but are kinda way out of my price range

There is a massdrop going on portable HeadAmp Pico amp/dac for 250$. Was planning to get a portable amp/dac for my HD600, looks like a good deal what do you think /hpg/?

massdrop.com/buy/headamp-pico-portable-dac-amp

Is there such a thing as a high quality portable bluetooth receiver? Something that you can connect your phone to via bluetooth, and then plug headphones in via 3.5mm. I'm currently using some chinese receiver that I got for cheap, but obviously it sounds like shit with a bunch of noise and stuff. I like using it though because having your phone not connected to anything is extremely easy, I'm just getting annoyed by the low quality and the small battery.

If it's bluetooth 4.0/4.1, the sound will be adequate as long as it delivers proper power to the headphone.

Search up the MPOW bluetooth reciever. $17 USD on amazon [there is a couple of them]

I bought a 250 ohm DT880 I'm going to plug into my motherboard.

Do I need an amp? How will it sound different if I don't?

Are there any better alternatives to Tascam TH02?
I need a cheap set of over ear headphones that fold for portable use. The TH02's are fairly large and bulky looking which is an issue do to portability. Also they seem to be fairly plastic-y, which is an issue since I want to just chuck them in my backpack when in a lecture, so decent build is a factor.

I have Pro 80's which would be fantastic if only they folded. I was actually considering welding a locking hinge into the forks, but I think I love them too much to chance that.

FYI I can get TH02's for $40 AUD, so I think It might be hard to get anything better, but you never know.

Do AV Receivers have enough power to power AKG K701s? specifically the Yamaha R-S300BL.
I'm getting new speakers and a new receiver for my computer and I have a little bit left over to buy some new AKG K701s. However, should my AV Receiver be able to power them?

I don't think you're really going to get an answer. It's a receiver so I doubt anyone even mentions the headphone out, yet alone how well it powers headphones.

Just go for it, and get a DIY O2 for $50, or a CMOY for like $60
Hell, even a DIY Classic 47 would compete with those, and it can be had for $10 on aliexpress or ebay.

Well if I did end up getting a headphone amp, what would be the cheapest tube amp you'd recommend?

Was looking into the akg k240 and the shure srh440 but not sure
>Budget
100-120 euros

>Location
Narnia

>Source
PC or an aftermarket amp

>Type of headphone
Over-ear

>Open or closed
Doesn't matter

>Comfort level
Prolonged hours of gaming and music listening

>Sound signature
mid to bassy

>Past headphones Scrub ass Razer kraken pro and steelseries 5h v2

Why do you want a tube?

I currently have a vintage tube amp running my current speakers. I love the warm vintage sound, and dat tube glow, so since I'm getting rid of the tube amp (well, not getting rid of, it's just going to my TV) I'd like to still be able get the tube sound through my headphones

Valhalla 2, because going super cheap with tubes is a shit idea and thinking you'll end up tuning the sound of your system just because your amplifier uses triodes is even worse.

amazon.com/Bravo-Audio-V2-Multi-Hybrid-Headphone/dp/B00ADR2DTG/ref=pd_sim_23_12?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00ADR2DTG&pd_rd_r=3MHNXBXV27CKJ13ZW4BW&pd_rd_w=p4iaj&pd_rd_wg=nukP3&psc=1&refRID=3MHNXBXV27CKJ13ZW4BW

That's exactly the price range I was looking for, thanks user

Is the Vali 2 any good? I'd pair it with the Modi 2

Yeah it's alright. I just don't see the point in it when Magni exists.

>pairing
Not a thing.

finally got the O2 + ODAC combo for my AKG K712. First impressions after listening to 2 songs = bass sounds "tighter", there is definitely more of it and MAYBE the dynamic range is better now. Gotta test more and after a few days/weeks try it again straight from the motherboard audio jack.

also the sliiiight channel imbalance to the right is gone. so it actually was my motherboard and not just my shit ears

You know what I mean, hook it up to the Modi 2 DAC, I could run a toslink from my computer to that DAC, and run a coax to my speakers

Yeah but your choice of converter is utterly irrelevant when choosing an amplifier, headphones, loudspeakers whatever. It'll work.

K702 or K7XX?

I feel for the 558 meme and they are arriving this weekend. Did I do good?

What will be more effective price-wise if you use shitty headphones and want volume 30-40% higher:
dedicated sound card,
amplifier or
new headphones?

How many of you have kept the 598cs memephones? I love mine

>any recommendation for another one?
HD650

> 702
Analytical. Bass is lean but also very extended

>7XX
Actual bass that you can feel, just above neutral, but they are not bassy

I just bought some iems 2 days ago, now they are reduced by £20. Is there anything I can do?

Ordered I meant, and it was actually yesterday.

>also the sliiiight channel imbalance to the right is gone. so it actually was my motherboard and not just my shit ears

I have HD600 and off my macpro I hear slight channel imbalance leaning to the right side (it sounds bassier) So external dac/amp helped it? Was it just loudness imbalance or some frequencies imbalance? Was planning to get dac/apm this new year but can't wait now.

opinions??

schiit.com/products/fulla-2

/reddit/

>opinions??
Kill yourself.

It looks nice, the sort of thing that people should get instead of dumping money on stacks.

>need earbuds with mic for gaming with an xbox one controller (3.5mm)
>need a mic that can be pulled closer to the face or closer to the mouth in general
>amazon & under $30 preferred

pic related is what I got and it is okay. the only problem is if I talk a little under shouting people say they can't hear me

Amplifier
Whole point of an amp is to literally amplify the signal, and make it louder.

Looks interesting, been wanting to get a desktop amp for a while now so this is for sure an option. Would have to wait for some reviews etc before I'd buy it though.

What you want to read what others imagine while listening through that?

Just want to know if it's worth the money, wouldn't want to spend 99 bucks on something that's shit.

I'm about to order a pair of DT 770s but they're 250 ohms

is that considered high impedance? am I going to need or otherwise benefit from amplifier?

Depends on what you're going to plug them into, but I'm guessing that you'll most likely need an amp. Go for lower impedance if you don't want to spend money on an amp.

Somewhat headphone related.
What's a good amp to hook up two old wire-based speakers? There are a few around but I don't want to drop a fair amount of money on one that isn't great.

250ohm is on sale, others aren't.

and otherwise the model is exactly what I'm looking for, and in my price range.

I don't mind buying an headphone amp either. if only for the convenience of it.

Depends on your source. Probably will need an additional amp if its just a laptop, or not a dedicated soundcard.

>Budget
0-75$

>Location
USA

>Source

PC Audio

>Type of headphone

Full Sized

>Open or closed

Either are fine

>Comfort level

Comfrot

>Sound signature

-

>Past headphones

ATH-AD 700 with one ear no longer producing sound

Repair your AD700. It's more than likely a wire that got detached.

Otherwise, AD500x are only $98

SHP9500's are an option too. Imaging is worse than AT-ADX though.

When I took it apart, it looked like like all solder points were fine. I tried removing a section of cord because my computer chair had run over it quite a bit. fixed the problem for a while but it came back. Now randomly if I sit in the right position the sound will come back, but if I move again it stops.

Just replace the cable entirely then. Hell, snip the cable from the chin down and add a 3.5 female so you can have somewhat of a removable cable.

how much are the cables?

last I checked it was like 20-25$. They are about 7-8 years old at this point.

No idea. Does it use the same locking 2.5 that other Audio Technica cans use?

Why do so many hate the Fidelio X2?

The lack of sub-bass
HE-400s do what X2's try to do but better.

They're not a bad headphone though.

locking?

all i know was it was a long cord that opens up and the wires directly solder to the headphones

But until 30hz they are neck and neck, straight line from the mids until 30hz on both, only after that the X2 drops. Literally marginal at best when you get some increase at the 20hz region (which isnt really sub bass since the sub bass that has most impact is between 30-50hz)

That's the HE-400, not HE-400S
Understandable mistake

650, 600, or 6XX?

600 for neutrality
650/6XX are identical. Get them if you find 600's too boring, though I do believe personally that 600's are better.

Sorry the 400S are apparently even worse than the x2, since you need to remember the harman kardon target response of bass

After about a year the earpads of my K702 started to show signs of accumulating dust. Can I toss them in with the laundry (low temp, no spin-drying), or would that ruin them?

>600 for neutrality
more like glary garbage

Just hand wash them in slightly soapy water.. Works for Beyer pads.

just purchased the skullcandy crusher wireless, they are said to sound better than wired headphones and have controllable bass.

Please stop baiting.
(you)

Also theres way more detail in the mids and highs of the X2, just listen to the strings and all the details when she speaks, undeniably better.

X2:
youtu.be/B6JGyCW1S9g?t=275

H400S with the better pleather pads:
youtu.be/ES8FQQE-WDE?t=61

Listening on my JBL LSR 305s the hifiman doesnt stand a chance

what site is this?

Dunno but all the 400S results look like that anyway

prove me wrong though? blue tooth has come a long way to mimicking wired, and will soon surpass it.

Not the guy you're arguing with, but that video is fundamentally flawed. You can see the guy has the X2's entirely over the silicone ear, and the 400S isn't seated properly. That would easily give a different result. He's using different pads too I think.

I don't know why he's using the ears in the first place. They're obviously not suited for it.

I looked and his new sound tests don't use them, so there is obviously a reason he stopped using them.

Sound card. $100 amp has the quality of a $30 sound card.