/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=07FRsIPMywE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Battery
a.co/6BhbMjs
support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/009/qw3054.pdf
longnow.org/clock/
youtube.com/watch?v=sRy1j_Axlos
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah, I have a franken tc submariner that I adore but that was a lot of money (particularly since I've been swapping in genuine parts lately, but started at $600).

Was just curious if there was anything that looked nice from China that was no-brand or something with a nice movement. I'm probably going to go with a SNK809 and a nice nato strap, since the one it comes with sucks.

Wish it wasn't bead blasted. I might go crazy with it and polish it like this guy did:

youtube.com/watch?v=07FRsIPMywE

>since the one it comes with sucks.
it's really not that bad other than looks

If you want to be a real hotshot then brush it.

Couple reviews said it was scratchy. Is that the case? A really nice nato strap isn't exactly that expensive. Though it is kind of funny putting a strap on a watch that is nearly the same price as the watch was originally.

That'd probably be more labor intensive since I'd have to be careful to get the grain correct. But it's a nice idea.

can anyone give me like model number or something. idk where to start with this one

>scratchy
i guess a little bit, compared to a nice strap. but it's usable for sure, for people who don't want to buy a strap right away (it's usually a first mechanical watch).

>franken tc submariner that I adore but that was a lot of money (particularly since I've been swapping in genuine parts lately
what the fuck
it's like those guys who spend thousands on tuning their shitbox instead of getting a nice car

Yep, it's the first mechanical for my brother.

The funny thing is that I actually have a genuine 16610 now that I inherited. The fake is a 116610, but I like it more since I've spent more time making it my own. I started working on it a couple years back and could easily afford the 'real deal' now, but there's something about tinkering that I really enjoy. Different strokes I guess.

This is what happens when I press all the buttons together

Yes, same for mine and it's normal.

It's when u press the button bottom right 4 seconds that CASIo appears on the screen

No it's not

You wear it on your rigt wrist. Are u an islamist?

No CASIo appears on the screen of mine mate.

Allahu snackbar I'm hungry

that's a fliger-style watch with a b-type dial. try laco and stowa

Who gives a shit if it's fake. It's literally a $15 shitter. It's a beater. If it doesn't fall apart it's good.

Okay I am on a quest to find the perfect watch for me.
Essentially Casio 5610 is the ideal candidate, but I ain't dropping money on it now.
Maybe there is a cheaper alternative that has:
1) Toughness, I need a watch that won't fall apart when I use a power tool or something similar
2) Has a snooze alarm (would live with simple alarm too)
3) Radio controlled as important as toughness

Is that some stereotype? I am an islamist and I wear my watch on the left wrist. Why would the right wrist be particularly islamist? As far as I know there is no fatwas on it and I can not imagine that it is derived from the Quran and Sunnah of the Prophet (saw).

Here is an alternative to tritium: diamond battery. No, seriously: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Battery
Briefly: the cascades of beta emissions can be used to stimulate phosphor so you can get a wider variety of colour.

With a half life of 5700 years it will outlive the watch.

Sounds exciting, now we just need to make a watch that can last for 5700 years then we have a proper family heirloom.

Lume degrading over decades isn't a huge deal, it can be replaced. Much much light does it actually throw? Tritium is already sort of a side grade, exchanging lower peak brightness for sustained luminescence in extended darkness.

CHINKED CHINKED
HAHA YOU GOT CHINKED

It's not à stéréotype, radical muslims favor the right part of the body.

Check on Google

Ben Laden wears his f91 on his right wrist for example, Google it theres a famous pic

What's the difference between type A and type B?

Why do u wear it on ur right wrist tho?

a-type dial only has hour indexes, like this.

Wrong.

You press and hold the 24 hour button for the Casio message.

Thx

Yes exactly

Yeah, in general we do favor the right part of the body. And there might be more islamists wearing it on the right hand than the general population.

But you might just as easily meet an islamist (or 'radical muslim') like myself with the watch on the left as well. I will quote you two fatwas on it:

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

There is nothing wrong with wearing a watch on either the right or left hand, like a ring, because it is proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) wore a ring on his right hand and left hand. End quote.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Putting a watch on the right hand is not better than putting it on the left hand, because a watch is like a ring, and there is no difference between putting a watch on the right hand or left hand. But undoubtedly putting it on the left hand is easier with regard to correcting it and looking at it, and it is safer in most cases, because the right hand moves more so it is more likely to cause damage to it.

The matter is broad in scope, so we should not say that it is considered morally good to wear it on the right hand, because it is narrated in the Sunnah (stories about the prophet) that it is permissible to wear a ring on both the right and the left hand, and a watch is like a ring. End quote.

Look mate, I'm 95% sure it's fake just from the LED and the viewing angles.

I did some reading around online on the way to work today. It's a shame, but I'm still going to wear it because it's a nice watch.

It's just more comfortable for me that way. I'm right handed so much figured it makes sense? I don't mind switching hands, but this just feels more natural.

I am Middle Eastern though so I am a little concerned...

Too add to this, I'm not even muslim, just a right handed Iranian.

guyz, I's need yo wisdom

>I'm right handed so much figured it makes sense?
The general idea is to wear a watch on your off-hand. If you're right handed your often do things with your right hand that could damage your watch. Let's say you see something inside some cinder blocks or tree roots, you're going to reach in to grab it with your right hand. You can scratch or impact the watch during that.

Also, if you're right handed you tend to do things with your right hand, which means you can still check the time freely when your left hand is free if it's on your left.

Interesting
Just buy a 5610

>Lume degrading over decades isn't a huge deal, it can be replaced.
Well, if the lume is part of the face itself it would be a hassle to replace it.

>Much much light does it actually throw?
Not sure but I guess it is more than tritium since this will be in solid state rather than gaseous and also because of the avalanche effect mentioned, multiplying the number of electrons. I have a tritium source at home and at night it is easily visible at 10 m and with some effort you can read in the light from it. Where I live it is dark most of the day and lume is handy. A fully lumed face and hands would be better on the eyes.

>Tritium is already sort of a side grade, exchanging lower peak brightness for sustained luminescence in extended darkness.
Compared to lume you mean?

Also tritium tubes are relatively large and heavy for the seconds hand while lume and diamond source would be more compact and lightweight.

>Compared to lume you mean?
Yeah. Ment compared to superluminova/lumibrite/chromalight

Here is a casio (I assume you like the digital style) that seem to satisfy your requirements.

I know nothing about the snooze, but it has a alarm although maybe not the kind you want. I will link the manual, but it mentions that it only lasts for 10 seconds.

a.co/6BhbMjs
the manual: support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/009/qw3054.pdf

Not him but man, I know it's utilitarian, but heck the f91 is sooo much more beautiful

you people need to be fucking gassed

Yeah, I like the f91, but man does it have shit straps that break easily.

this same goes for my W-59

It looks good senpai, but you might need to take Some links out.

Or just get one of those stainless steel digital pulsars. No they are not radio controlled, but do you really need that?

>yfw you break the family heirloom beyond repair, after 5000 years, 12 world wars and 2 nuclear winters

Someone is gunning for 10000 years. They want us to write the year as 02016.
longnow.org/clock/

Large sundials will last for eons but I am not sure how I should argue for lume on a sundial.

I think the 5610 is your best option that meets all your needs.

What would be some neat features to have in a homemade LED watch? It wont be a smart watch as it has to be a self sustained unit. The display is 128 x 96. Let me hear what you got

Battery that last more than a few days

Doesn't really make sense to me. I don't see why a right handed person wouldn't use their right hand for timekeeping too.

It just feels nicer/more convenient to me.

i would love to be able to send a custom image to it somehow

>Doesn't really make sense to me
Which of the two things?

Why would they? It offers no tangible advantage and plenty of disadvantages.

damn, just came up on an skx175 for 135 bucks.

swerve!

Yea that this is a main priority

it is a white led display so pictures can only be shown in shades of white

Because I use my right hand for literally everything except balance and injuries.

Either, both. It's just baffling that you'd be more comfortable using your non dominant hand for anything

i'd have been happy with 1-bit red

i would not want to put my watch on my right hand because lifting it up to look at it requires no strength or dexterity, which are the advantages my right hand provides.

Holy fuck, now that is what I call a clear crystal. You can only see it when the turns it to the side.

youtube.com/watch?v=sRy1j_Axlos

Jesus Christ that is awesome

God damnit nineball stop using this fucking picture. It's invisible in the catalog, that's why no one is replying.

Thoughts on this strap for a speedy?

Sounds like you're the only one not making sense. I don't think anyone cares it's against your religion. You can do it if you want

Looks fine to me

NOT GOOD.

Should look fine on a classic speedy.

I hear crown&buckle make very good straps.

I reaaaaaaaally want the new silver snoopy limited edition speedy.

Slightly darker one maybe?

The snoopy is the goat speedy. And yeah, mine is a 3570.50
The color reminds me of the NASA velcro straps, but Im worried the stitching might be too green, would prefer a more beigey thread. Pic related isn't the same strap, but it's kinda what I'm worried about.

Are there any thin watches (5mm) that have a tourbillon?

Bugari made one last year.

The worlds thinnest tourbillon watch is like 5mm only, you aren't going to find many less than even 9mm.

OK, thanks.

I guess we just have different opinions and preferences then.

Not them but traditionally you just use your non-dominant hand

Yes, but the real question is can you afford one?

Is power reserve a factor for you when you're chosing a watch?
Would you pay more for a 60h PR over a 40h?
Would you accept a larger watch if it meant longer PR?

I'm looking around, and short of novel escapement designs (mostly using solicon) that are quite expensive, it seems that watches with a longer power reserve are substantially bigger to accomodate the larger, or more numerous, barrels.

But is it even worth it? An automatic movement seems to be good enough to keep a watch working, and there are winders for the pieces you'll only wear occasionnaly.

I'm going on holiday next week. Should I take a watch for during the day and a nicer one for at night or just take my G-Shock?

I just ordered an orange rubber strap to go on my blue Trident. Will it look good or super autist?

What are you going to do at night that requires a nice watch?

Just go out for drinks etc. By nicer I mean more dressy, something like my Accutron II.

I have posted about mine already. I think it looks good, but really casual. Good with a tshirt during summer, but I'm keeping the watch on the bracelet for winter.

Yeah, I was considering taking it on holiday on the rubber strap. I thought it would be easier with sweating etc.

I just got a cheap one like pic for now and if I like the look etc I'll get a better quality one.

you have a different preference from literally 99.9% of watch users. this isn't some common and unsurprising difference of opinion. you are way, way out in weirdo land here.

>Cool Rolex bro, where di... Oh.

>It's a diver so it must be a Rolex homage.

Ah yes, that bright blue sub with a textured background and funky hands
We all know the one

Literally everything about the general look and shape of the watch is almost directly copied from a Rolex.

Ah yes, the wave texture on all those blue dialed Rolexes is a modern classic.

Except for the hands, the dial, and the case shape. Everything else though is totally the same as a Rolex guys!

People can't tell what the texture is from a distance, and most people sure as fuck wouldn't know Rolex doesn't do wave texture.

>blue dialed Rolexes
Are you saying there are no blue-dialed submariners?
Because there are.
And even if there weren't, the point about the texture would apply.

>t-there are differences, so it totally doesn't look like a Rolex guys!

Wow your watch has a round dial, nice rolex dude!

>literally everything
Apart from

Different bezel font
Different dial texture
Different hands
Different date placement
No cyclops
No novella on the dial
Case polished on top / brushed on sides rather than other way around
Different 12 o'clock marker
Different case shape

The only thing it has in common with a Sub is that they are both round diver watches on oyster bracelets.

>the round dial is the only similarity!

>t-there are differences, so it totally doesn't look like a Rolex guys!

If anything it's closer to an Omega Seamaster than a Sub.

(You)