What part of the IT industry has the most work in Australia?

what part of the IT industry has the most work in Australia?

Other urls found in this thread:

theage.com.au/business/workplace-relations/proportion-of-indian-it-workers-on-457-visas-rock-bottom-pay-triples-20161202-gt2nso.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>hello yes is this [ISP HERE]? why is my internet slow?
>sir you live in Australia

theage.com.au/business/workplace-relations/proportion-of-indian-it-workers-on-457-visas-rock-bottom-pay-triples-20161202-gt2nso.html

I am only interested in what can be done to stop this.

networking?
network security?
programming? phone apps?
web dev?
pls name it
pls respond

pls respond
picking bachelors

Don't pick something just for the money, you'll regret

but i like everything and the future is scary

>i like everything
you don't

>Don't pick something just for the money, you'll regret

I am living proof of this. Graduated CS, worked 2 years and fucking hated being stuck in front of a wall of monitors 10 hours a day dealing with the same shit in and out.

Currently pursuing other career options.

What's your job like? What made you want to study CS?

kangaroo wranglers

Nothing,

Unless you are Indian and willing to work on a 457.

im autistic and like mmos and other repetitive shit on the computer so this doesn't sound so bad.

Go into programming then, crap loads of shit jobs, pay shit, work shit, but autistic as hell.

what are some of the most popular programming job types and languages?

java devs

hansen

I worked for a big RMM Company (Remote Monitoring & Management). The first 6 months I pretty much wrote custom plugins and agents for clients that had special infrastructure (industrial robots, hvac systems, automatic doors in a store, you name it).

Last 1.5 years I was mostly a sysadmin. They needed someone in the NOC that could code on the fly since the company pretty much fucked up by claiming they could support ANYTHING (which is just not possible).

I now work as an apprentice electrician though. Honestly the pay isn't that much different either and I enjoy it a hell of a lot more.

Can I ask how old you are? I'm early 30's IT burnout who is mad keen to go work on some HV, but I'm worried about the stigma of older workers, especially considering I'll be up against younger blokes who will do the same work for less coin.

Forgot to answer your other question.

>What made you want to study CS?

I just liked computers growing up. I am in the USA and I was always told that after High School I need to go get my Bachelors... So that is what I did. Sort of just picked my major as Computer Science. I wish I had more of a compelling or inspiring reason, but I do not.

Learn Cobal, its the most autistic thing out there, and banks want it bad,

Oh, I assumed you were ausfag, disregard

Probably networking and network security, my dude.

But most large scale IT crap is offshore in the Philippines, HK, and Singapore. 'Good" IT jobs are hard to find in Australia unless you're willing to move state and have good experience/education.

Application support at corporates

I am 26.

I am in a union (IBEW) in the USA. There is no "younger blokes who will do the same work for less coin" on any job sites that I work. You are on a set pay scale depending on your progression as an apprentice. Assuming your area is busy so that you are working 40 hour work weeks, and you are doing ok in class (Yes, Apprentice's go to class after work on certain days) you should get a pay bump approximately every 6 months. Obviously once you reach journeyman, you are making even more money.

As long as you are physically fit, it's actually a benefit to be older. At least from the union's perspective. They can see you have solid work experience and are mature. You wouldn't believe how many 18 or 19 somethings I have seen throw away a perfectly good apprenticeship because they were late to the jobsite all of the time.

If your smart enough to do IT you may as well do Engineering

>implying most people dont just google their problem when exchange server stops working

99% of the time we just want to understand what the hell the error is, because its not well documented.

Error 0x0000643 now fix it....

what does he mean by engineering?

>You wouldn't believe how many 18 or 19 somethings I have seen throw away a perfectly good apprenticeship because they were late to the jobsite all of the time.
Oh, yes I would. See it all the time.
In fact it's almost the norm, which is why we have an IT staff shortage. No shortage of applicants, just no work ethic or professionalism among them.
I keep telling them they get more brownie points for just turning up, on time.
Punctuality is the courtesy of kings.

You are too academic. As a field engineer I want to know how to fix it, not what went wrong. You can spend hours trying to find out why something happened or ten minutes fixing it.

If I'm a yank would it be easy to move to Australia and find work?

Currently live in Japan and getting tired of earthquakes. Australia has none, right?

fuckin hansen

Shitposting

No earthquakes, but it's fuckin hot.

Also shitty internet and being in constant fear of an on-again-off-again recession for the past four years has made the public grumpy and cuntish.

Engineering is fucking hyper saturated right now.