Java vs C#

does C# have a chance in overtaking Java as the dominant language in the market? as big as microsoft is, they are still less wealthy than google that shills Java through android. oracle are also huge. i think most apple-store apps are also Java written

also what are actual advantages that C# has over Java? are they significant enough to convince a software company to embrace it?

friendly reminder: using "pajeet" or similar memes immediately invalidates your argument

Android using java was the most retarded thing of the century.

no

Yes Chadhtag has a real chance of overtaking Java because Microsoft is becoming more open source and Linux friendly

Android dev is literally the most painful experience/tools that I've ever used

>have to do everything on the fucking code
>if you change the name of a visual component, it changes its place
>shittyest obfuscated error messages

Steve Ballmer is literally a nigger, it's his fault that microsoft didn't get to mobile devices fast enough, C# mobile dev is absurdly easier and faster than Java

;__;

Java is the worst thing, like really. Take atleast Minecraft for example, because of java it requires huge amount of RAM and when you put some extra mods, well..

would C# be better in minecraft's case?
do you think microsoft will go as far as making C# and .NET work on linux servers? i think mono can help with that but i am not sure about whether it will hit performance...

google .NET core

You haven't developed for ios then...

Whereas
>if you change things in visual studio the entire C# project breaks and you have nothing else to do but restart everything

>blames the lang for someones shitty skills

>i think most apple-store apps are also Java written
retard

t. visual studio 2005

Java is not intended to run games, maybe game servers, but not games. When it comes to games you should use a better performing language like C++ (or C if you're autistic enough).
Besides, Minecraft was an indie project and the dev didn't care much about performance (it was also simple enough that language didn't matter). Now that Microsoft has bought it and added tons of features they'll probably remake it in C++. The only problem with this is all the mods will be rendered useless unless Microsoft forces compatibility, which they normally don't do properly. On the bright side the game will be at least twice as smooth.

Latest ones, actually. It's a shitty IDE anyway, literally requires more space than an OS.

yeah, if you choose to install all the shit you won't ever use, which is really stupid for any software you use

Yes, it's a lot less rigid and has been gaining ground swell exponentially each year.

Long time dev here.

Google the following: .Net Standard 2.0

To sum it up:
>unify the .net eco system
>if your platform wants to adhere to the .Net standar 2.0 it has to implement all of its APIs
>.Net Standard 2.0 API set is the .Net 4.6.1. API set

What this means, you create one protable library that targets .Net Standard 2.0, and you get to reuse it in your .Net Core web application that is being deployed in a Linux container, you get to reuse it in your Xamarin/Xamarin.Forms cross platform mobile application (write Client logic once, reuse everywhere), you get to reuse it in your full blown enterprise ready WPF application etc. etc.

I'm currently running VS 2017 and testing some of the shit. It's marvelous, I've been dreaming of this day for the past 10 years.

Can't wait till it goes RTM, future is bright.

Pic related, Bugs is as dope as .Net Standard 2.0

Why did they do?
Was it just about developers

It was the result of the tech. used to create Android. Java VM running on top of the Linux kernel. So yeah...

Xamarin had a fun project back in the days, replacing the Java VM and everything attached to it with their C# runtime. Performance gains were off the charts crazy. Would be cool if someone did a comparison of that project to Android 7.0

Android and google sure did advance their Java shit and its performance, and I'm really curious if it's now on pair with a 4-5 year old project, lol.

Tell tales of your acquired wisdoms

But when it was possible for xamarin to do so why didn't Google go for c# built then

because they were slow, and also, google hates microsoft more than anything, they literally pay devs to not make windows mobile apps

Because Xamarin worked on their cross platform C# runtime and tooling for years, they had mature software already, the only thing they did to complete the porting of Android to C# back then was a Java -> C# transpiler if I remember right.

All in all, for google it made more sense to go with Java because it's free to run etc. etc. than get into possible shitstorm with MS (and if they wanted to use Xamarin, they would have to pay out of their ass, Xamarin was a private, closed source company back then).

Now it's obvious. Even tho C#/.Net is open as fuck, and has some of the best tooling on the market (Visual Studio, Roslyn compiler, Ryu JIT...) Android is balls deep in Java.

That makes sense 2bh

should i learn java or C#?

WPF on linux when?

C#

why?

Becaue c# is already better than java and it's getting even better

WPF or some other framework like this.

I just want to make cross platform window based applications. IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK?

xamarin

Ask specific questions please and I'll answer as detailed as possible. I'm also and Anyway, I mention Xamarin a lot because I think it's the future and will become the standard rather soon. Xamarin.Forms will be enough for 90% of mobile dev (the kind that doesn't need some crazy platform specific crazyness like ultra low level, minimal latency audio APIs etc.)

The Forms Previewer works way better in the last release in VS2017 and is finally shaping up to be a worth replacement to the XAML Designer from Microsoft.

The Visual Studio for Mac, even tho if it's just a reskinned Xamarin Sudio, actually feels like a worthy Visual Studio family member (compared to Xamarin Studio, things are now where you "expect" them to be in Visual Studio).

What else is fun. Ah, .Net Core 1.1 and the return to .csproj is a great decision, even tho some people raved about project.json, it was a mess and shit.

We already have .Net Core 1.0 in production for some micro services. The only thing lacking is EntityFramework Core (or Well EF6 or whatever it's called). It's not even close to EF5 parity, so if you rely on that one, stay on .Net full framework (4.5, 4.6) for now.

My advice, if you wanna learn C#, go intern at some company you know for sure that produces quality software, and put effort into learning software design and patterns.

If I inherit one more project with logic in the XAML code behind, I'll find that pajeet and kill him myself.

Do you know some good books for c#

C# by itself is easy to learn and anything will do.

Once you do that, and you get into a certain framework depending on what you want to code for (WPF, UWP, MVC .Net...) get into some user groups and look for best practices, how to write clean testable code and not pajeet tier 1 page tutorials on how to hack shit together so it "just werks".

How different is UWP from WPF? Is it smart to focus on WPF or it's already legacy?

Fuck this i recommend you to learn Yoloscript or dankscript which is in my opinion best programming language

>Pajeet humor

First of all, thanks for your time. I wanted to start programs with GUI for Linux with python in mu mind, but didn't know which framework to stick with. Then I got my hands on a laptop with windows on it for some time. It was overwhelming tho, and I didn't know what to do. So I wasn't able to do anything. Probably because my coding is pajeet tier in python tho. Now I have some money to spend which framework would you recommend for developing. I'm interested in file organization programs with little bit image manipulating?

Tale wise: Do you have some legacy nightmares to share

uwp will work in any windows 10 device, it's still a technology in development

wpf is the successor to windows forms, it has more funcionality, but only works on full windows 10 pc

C# is less advanced than Java.
.net is more advanced than JVM.

Tough choice.

Well C# is Microsoft only so fuck that.

Mono is shit

>C# is less advanced than Java

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

>C# is Microsoft only

welcome to 2010

Back to Sup Forums racist honkeys