What's Sup Forums's favourite lossy and lossless audio formats?

What's Sup Forums's favourite lossy and lossless audio formats?

Mine would be:
Lossy - Ogg Vorbis
Lossless - FLAC

Also am I the only one who despises mp3? It's such a shitty space hogging lo-fi last gen format. Look at the pic 320kbps is only marginally better then Vorbis at 160kbps.

Other urls found in this thread:

bernholdtech.blogspot.fi/2013/03/Nine-different-audio-encoders-100-pass-recompression-test.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is that mp3 your own rip?

Yeah, I ripped a CD to FLAC and then converted it in Audacity.

You can encode an mp3 without the 20kHz cut off.
Vorbis is still nicer though.
I think you're doing great.

ACC is by far the greatest lossy format.
bernholdtech.blogspot.fi/2013/03/Nine-different-audio-encoders-100-pass-recompression-test.html

Opus. Any day of the week.

I think the test that you posted is very interesting (it's amazing how much you can fuck up the audio) I still think it isn't too relevant to the encoder overall, remember most of them are designed to only be passed once. I still think Opus is best technically.

Yeah this was going to be my answer, But Vorbis is more mature and sounds amazing at 160kbps. Plus it's a free format.

Lossy: AAC
Lossless: FLAC

You can't simply judge how good an encode sounds by looking at the spectrogram. At most you'll see where the high frequency cutoff occurs, but higher cutoff does not always mean higher overall quality.

FLAC for lossless, unless I have some specific needs.

AAC for music at 100+ kbps, Opus for speech and low bitrates in general (a lot of internet audio).
You can use Opus for music too, but AAC is just more mature and it supports 44.1k.

>You can encode an mp3 without the 20kHz cut off

which would be a very stupid decision and would fool you if your judgement consisted of only looking at the spectrogram.

MP3 VBR

OPUS

Opus also supports 44,1k and it's mature too (as standard based on CELT and SILK)

Lossy - Musepack (because it's power efficient)
Lossless - FLAC

Lossy: Opus
Lossless: FLAC
Uncompressed: Wave64
Anything else is garbage.

>Lossy - Ogg Vorbis
>Lossless - FLAC
Same

>lossy: Opus
>lossless: literally a meme

Opus is the best lossy format currently available. It is free, unencumbered, and better than every competitor at everything.

Several lossless formats are good, including WavPack (which can also do float) and FLAC, but in almost all circumstances there's no reason to ever use anything but FLAC.

Even though MP3 is so ancient as to actually be (finally!) completely patent-free at the end of next year (when its last patent, the joint-stereo patent, expires), it's still not bad and it's very widely compatible.

Despite some of your 'golden ears' protests, you will almost certainly fail an ABX using LAME -V2, which is perceptually transparent to almost all audio except a few specific 'problem samples' (harpsichord, castanets, the kind of thing that stress the MDCT, the long/short block selection, and pre-echo).

If you think otherwise - ABX or it didn't happen.

As far as some of the posters' comments about AAC being more mature -
Opus 1.0 beats everything else, including every AAC encoder, in ABC-HR listening tests. 1.1 increases that margin.

why do people think spectrograms are a representation of audio quality?

>i despise mp3

Because they are, you mouth breathing mongoloid.