WHO /screen tearing/ HERE?!

Sup Forums have you experienced screen tearing on your distro? how fucking wide spread is this?

I've pasted pastebin.com/04XBWmNF into the compton.conf file, enabled Compton to autostart on Ubuntu 16.10 = no luck

kek

KEK

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/04XBWmNF
duncanlock.net/blog/2013/06/07/how-to-switch-to-compton-for-beautiful-tear-free-compositing-in-xfce/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Sup Forums have you experienced screen tearing on your distro?
Every single distro I've used thanks to NVIDIA and Xorg.

ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On solves it on NVIDIA with Clutter. As with Compton, I have absolutely no idea. Never used it.

I'm with the Intel HD3000 on my T420, so was kind of surprised to see the massive screen tearing here. Weird that it came with i3

HD3000 is fucking cancer, so many weird problems with that stupid shit.
I have my T420 using an EGPU now and haven't had any problems with nvidia.

I have it bad with Ubuntu 16.04.
I have all NVidia cards. Can I solve it with Radeon? On the TV computer, the only thing I care about is tear-free 1080p video playback.

also i3 is the shittiest WM you could have chosen
(though Sup Forums kiddies and other retards love it because they're too stupid to use anything else)

Nope, Wayland on Fedora 25 is comfy.

Thinkpad T420 with HD3000 too.

>I have it bad with Ubuntu 16.04.
>I have all NVidia cards.
ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On and TripleBuffer on in xorg.conf and it'll get solved.

If you still have it in Chromium/Firefox, turn off hardware acceleration within the browser.

Compton?

Anyway, enable TearFree in the X server

Found some config on github for my manjaro xfce that fixed it. Haven't seen tearing since.

You're obviously not configuring it properly.
I have Compton setup with openbox on arch and I don't have anymore tearing.
Just search for "Compton configuration" and copy paste one that seems good and then make any minor adjustments you need to.

Well, I'm glad that you have found a solution with an eGPU. Also, i3 distracts me the least and gets me in a working mode, which is a valuable argument when trying to fix something.

Good to know it's just a configuration fuck up then. Thanks for reporting.

Don't have xorg.conf in /etc/X11/ for some reason, huh. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Yeah, as I said in the OP, I tried this pastebin.com/04XBWmNF config but apparently didn't work. What configuration are you using, user?

Apparently I've missed the fact that xorg.conf is in /usr/share/X11, nvm. Trying it out now.

I have it pretty bad, but it's probably because I bought a very suspiciously cheap 1440p monitor with built in speakers.

You, sir, were correct - I wasn't configuring it properly. So sweet to have smooth-looking video.

Thanks!

What was the problem?

Can you give me a quick summary on how to do this? I'm also using arch and the screen tearing is driving me nuts

WHY CAN'T I GET RID OF SCREEN TEARING ON MY T420 RUNNING ARCH REEEEEEEEEEEE

Not him but a minimal command to quickly see if compton works and fixes the tearing is

compton --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --glx-no-stencil --vsync opengl-swc -cCG

(c is for shadows, C is to exclude shadows from the panel, G to exclude dnd shadows)

You could skip the -cCG to don't have any shadows at all or read the man compton to add some more tweaks and shadow exclude

Keep it minimal and don't copy paste without thinking, the online examples are extremely bloated

Windows doesn't have this problem.

Also use Unity/Compiz, it has the best rendering with no screen tearing.

Compton is poor man's compiz.

Anyone have the picture with the common issue of "Fixed it!" but no solution given?

I just copy pasted the config from this site: duncanlock.net/blog/2013/06/07/how-to-switch-to-compton-for-beautiful-tear-free-compositing-in-xfce/

After you paste it into the config file just read through it and make any adjustments you need to.

Then make sure to send compton to auto start. If you're using openbox like me I think you have to add
compton -b -c & and it should start up when you log in.

Didn't work
It's telling me another composite manager is running but i've disabled the xfce4 one and have compton set to auto start

what didn't work?
The config file or the autostart command?

>screen tearing

My operating system doesn't have this problem. Pic related.

Macfag here. Never seen tearing in 16 years. Your OS must be dogshit.

i used compton for a while because the forcefullcompositionpipeline option in xorg didn't work for my secondary monitor. they fixed that in the 375 drivers so i got rid of compton.