Implementing macOS Picture-in-Picture for Linux?

I have a Mac at work and Linux at home and one of the top things that I miss from macOS is PiP mode. Basically, you can detach any HTML5 video from any webpage and you can overlay it on the screen and have it visible at all time. I find that incredibly useful when studying some new shit.

What would be needed to implement something like this under Linux?

youtube.com/watch?v=9Zody9B1Nvc

Its already there. Just open the video with mpv (better with fixed size option) and make the window float atop.

Its macOS that never had this functionality and then messed with the the thirdparty support for floating windows.
Or use a tiling vm. If you need DRM support you should kill yourself.

Microsoft Windows 10 doesn't have this problem.

But it has two other problems:
>it's from Microsoft
>it's Windows 10

epik maymay xD

There's an add-on for that if you use Firefox.

>open with mpv
>shift+T
>innovashun

mpv can't open all HTML5 videos. I don't care about YT that much. Microsoft has tons of technical videos that I like to watch. Plus it's inconvenient to fuck around with it and you can't put it back into the page.

The chromium "open with mpv" plugin is some sort of trash. It takes a good while to load and sometimes it refuses to even work at all.

By the way, what's the point of this PIP thing anyways? Can't you just open the video and snap it to a corner? If I need to multitask like that I would rather have it like this and not on top of every little thing (excuse the low quality chinese cartoons)

There is an addon for this on ff.

It's just an always on top window.

>my fucking face when this isn't available for chrome
Would it be so God damned hard?

It is, but it's a total mess.

I meant the basic "open with" extension, where you can assign multiple applications to open web pages in

I think it's even on Opera

The reason chrome doesn't do it is because of security sandboxing, you can can do it in ff because Mozilla don't care about security or pages being able to call executables on the host system silently which is why people use things like firejail to lock down that POS browser.

It's a standard feature of Opera

>tfw another macfag thinks something is a proprietary Apple feature or even somehow "unique" to Apple

i've configured openbox so mod4+f10 toggles always on top, and mod4+f12 toggles the decoration (window border)
so i can make any window act like that

did macos not have an always on top option before? or is this different somehow?

name pls?

Opera browser seems to do that

This is an extension in the chrome web store. Does exactly this.

Damn that does look kinda awful. At first it took me a while to distinguish between the video and that horrible fucking theme.

you can have a frame around it if you want but that is kind of wasted space

your opinion has been noted

A small drop shadow could work, but it ain't there.

whats ur fav vidyagayme?

i don't use a compositor

doesn´t firefox test allow you to do it on linux?

what the fuck are you on about, an html5 tag links directly to the media file, which mpv can play

>The chromium "open with mpv" plugin is some sort of trash. It takes a good while to load and sometimes it refuses to even work at all.
It's garbage... like most of the Chrome extensions. I bet Firefox has a better one but FF is total shit.

>By the way, what's the point of this PIP thing anyways? Can't you just open the video and snap it to a corner?
It's always there. It floats. It doesn't interfere with anything else. It's great.

>If I need to multitask like that I would rather have it like this and not on top of every little thing (excuse the low quality chinese cartoons)
On a laptop, it's incredibly handy. Quit trying to compare it to a fucking ultrawide monitor.

sites behind login screen? drm shit? yeah, no.

>what are session ids in urls

>>what are session ids in urls
yeah, I'm sure I could also capture cookies and wget the file as well but that's not the fucking point. point is that I can do all this with a single click. I don't wanna waste 10 min every time I wanna detach a video.