How do i

i want to become world class programmer/hacker. how do i become linus?

Install gentoo

Stop being a furfag

install dos

this be the only picutre i have on my laptop. they were for my son's birthday party.

You mean your wife's son?

>having a child
you've already ruined your chances of achieving anything

how intrepidly clever, calling me a cuck, without actually saying the word. what a predictable bunch of lovable virgins you all are.

_ ____ __ ____ ____ _____

>not harvesting your children's organs to make it big in stem cell research

that's the spirit, goy!

i have achieved more than you can expect to, my good man.

I'm not hearing a no...

i'm sure you've heard the word enough times in your life that you don't need to hear it again from me.

at this point it's really not normal to not be cucked by your wife. It's just what girls do whatever

kill cia niggers

Becoming a programmer takes about a decade, realistically.
A decade of hard work, that is, provided you're already good with computers and math.

Becoming a 'hacker' is just an implementation of your skills. Getting good at thinking like that will take you another while, if you aren't already good at it.

TL;DR:
Go get a computer science degree. You'll be off to a good start.

Since noone has managed to give a straightforward answer, here is my advice:
>follow some codecademy courses to see if you enjoy working with code in the first place
>install gentoo, its a meme with mad respect. but seriously, starting a barebones OS and building up, using aptitude and learning the console makes you feel like a HackerMan©
>decide what most interests you (i.e. networking, web dev., programs) and youtube it like anything else you would learn

didn't see you there m8, sorry for the generalization

oh, and get off of linustechtips, hopefully you too will see that he is really letting the growth of his business affect him and that the show is becoming a fking reality show

I want to fuck that rabbit

Just cause it's normal doesn't mean you have to do it.

>code academy
is this really even worth anyone's time? how advanced do the courses get?

>install gentoo
i've installed gentoo and run it for years at a time. i'm no spring chicken, but my beard has yet to turn grey.

>interests
i'm already in the industry, but i believe my prospects for advancement are probably hindered by my novice scripting/programming ability.

My friend's dad taught himself how to write C++ and a few other languages in a night... and then he wrote some, as my friend put it, 'flawless code for controlling some hardware he built for his HAM radio setup.' (Friend is a senior software developer, and actually good at his job.)

But his dad is an engineer from the 70's... you know, the 'we went to the moon with the slide rule and mostly analog electronics' kind. So I guess stuff was just a lot harder back then... so learning a few completely new formats for 'talking' to something wasn't a big deal.

>codecademy
I learned html and css through codecademy and it got plenty andvanced for the tasks I've used them for, but its your 3-10 hours to spend how you wish.
I however have learned most of my shit from youtube.

I suppose you're comfy with using bash or whatever shell you use, if not, fix that
if you feel competent with your general knowledge, pick a low risk, easy target and go for it. I started out messing around with my school network (the school admin used Novell to sync evrything to your school id and password, and locked down most easy ways of taking control), but a home network is a safe space to start.
with target in mind, put on your leather jacket and research your options.
the type of hacking im talking about is using preexisting tools (which often are shell based, thats why that was so important), which I believe is most of hacking.

If you want to do some deep hacking (writing your own malicious code/scripts and tools), I'm of little help.

>indoctrinating your wifes son with Jewish propaganda

fuck off troll, we're being civilized and shit

Alright alright.

Read books. Be patient. Practice what you've learned. It will take time. Find peers online to critique your work. You can't master anything in one night.

Don't focus on syntax of programming but instead of why you need to do it. Oh yeah, read books.

I wanna fuck the rabbit.

much obliged. let's say i want to start with python or ruby. any suggestions?

i would be using these skills in a systems admin type role. that's the mindset i'm starting with. simple automation of various tedious tasks. things like that. nothing extremely complex, yet.

most of that hacking/linus shit was a joke. now that we've trimmed the fat in this thread a bit, i can be more serious.

i am a linux admin with decent bash/regex ability and some exposure to perl, python, and ruby. i am by no means well versed in these. i want to become proficient with at least one.

and keep in mind, i'm not trying to do anything extremely complex yet. i just want to be able to automate some tasks (nothing specifically in mind at the moment).

i'll poke around on code academy and see what level i'm already at compared to where they start. do they have any ruby/perl/python courses?

i should probably knock out a few coursera courses as well. it's just difficult to dedicate much time when i'm raising a family and working 60+ hours a week on a goddamn storage platform that seems to fallover every other day.

A lot ot anons will give you shit for python but its probably a good starting point.

Check out "Learn Python the Hard Way" Download the pdf or buy it. Finish it. See how you feel afterwards.

linus sat in basement for 6 years programming
you can try that

Yes to all of them, I think

>start listening to electronic music
>download [all] the operation systems
>rice them up
>drink cheap energy drinks
>spiky hair
>leather jackets
>study programming and computers for 10 years without cutting your self slack