Should i switch? What are the benefits?

Other urls found in this thread:

yuki.la/vg/136546312#p136612903
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

for normies: it's free, fast and doesn't get viruses

Do you play video games?

If not, then no reason not to.

I do and i have amd hardware

Then don't switch. Come back when you grow out of it.

linux is a meme, stick to windows

Nah, it's shit. I've been using GNU/Linux for a little over 15 years and to be honest the disadvantages outweigh the advantages by far. If you're a NEET or something and have lots of time and want to learn about it then go for it, but otherwise don't. Free GNU/Linux is only worth something if your time is worthless.

You lincucks are pathetic, you watch chinese pedo cartoons but make fun off people who play games

I have no idea where you get those assertions. Cartoons are for kids, gaming is for kids. Get triggered, manlet.

No defragging, no virus scanning bullshit software/programs 24/7, no annoying 'Hey! download this forced update'.

if you play AAA games not.
i'm a linux user and i play some good games on linux (tboi, dota, torchligth...)
if u don't need a only windows software, swicth

well you can use trap

Do VGA Passthrough. Based on my experience with FOSS AMD drivers, passing through radeonsi and below (GCN 1 and below) can also be bound and unbound to the X session so you don't need to reboot to revert GPU changes, only restart the X server (I still restart if I need full performance to reset my scheduler and preemption timer). You need a fresh reboot for AMDGPU but I've been working on a method to use a kexec jump instead.

>Should i switch?
No.

What are the benefits?
There are none.

keep a windows desktop for playing games if that's your thing. I have a windows desktop for recording music, computers and software are tools don't be stupid about it and use the wrong tool for the job

i use linux on my laptop because it's a better shitposting OS

I had Mint 17.3 on my laptop and I never had any problems, but now with Mint 18 on my desktop, it keeps fucking up.

Ignore this

t. Linux user who also enjoys games

Free, customizable, relatively secure, respects the user, not bloated (depends on distro and desktop).

this.

Why are they for kids? Can you explain?

no spying
you could always have a windows partition for games
but don't install meme distros

Because they were invented for kids to consume

So?

linux fags trying to deflect the 'games' argument by pretending they don't like games

wow you're so smart, you don't like games

i'm impressed

you can make linux your daily driver and use QEMU with vfio for windows if you gaymen

I would recommend Mint if he wants to game, it was painless to install nvidia drivers along with Steam and PlayOnLinux/Wine. Debian and Ubuntu are huge pains in comparison.

Which games? Are they available on steamos?

If you have two gpus look into doing a gpu passthrough to a windows vm.

As for distro your options are as follows:
Ubuntu
Debian
Centos
Fedora

Don't bother with arch, it's for autistic faggots who have never so much as touched a girl.

Faster web browser.
Faster applications in general.
Low resource usage (and I mean low).
Elder God tier privacy and security.
Access to bleeding edge software used by programmers and "hackers" themselves.

And yes, it does have gaymes (even its own, exclusive sort), and can use much of Windows and Mac software.

Just dual boot it if you're interested in learning about computers.

It's more "secure" because it's easier to control what is running as a networked server (less attack surface). Browser exploits and local exploits still exist though.

It runs a good portion of the internet so if you're interested in software development you should probably install it.

That's all really.

Do you have hobbies?

If not, then no reason not to.

>So
Be careful, you might accidentally defend people who watch mlp and aren't 6

Dunno. The benefit is less virii.

Just stay the fuck out.
If you can live with Windows you'll just use Unix like it's Windows with your faggy retarded rodent UI and what not. People like you deserve an active chainsaw to the face.
Stay in Windows and stop ruining Unix with your garbage. Having to deal with DBus, Wayland and Flatpak because of idiots like you who can't leave their retarded Windows-isms at the door. I hope all of you get driven face first into a meat grinder.

I was about to brag about you scaring away OP, but you have some good points there user.

cute logo, go buy a mac instead.

not an argument

This.
/thread

get your fag ass out of my board memer, even without counting programmers and infosec people, linux is used for work AND entertainment, not just to "rice"

Get out of the basement once in a while Poindexter.

> (You)
> memer
Pot meet kettle.
/thread

BTFO http:// arstechnica.com/security/2016/12/fedora-and-ubuntu-0days-show-that-hacking-desktop-linux-is-now-a-thing/

Fedora Linux kind of says it all

No games

Linux has more to offer hobbyists, what're you smoking?

Exactly, there is arduino to cite one

Are you spamming every thread with that article showing a theoretical case?

linux seems appealing because i'm getting into programming but idgaf about the botnet meme and i like games, some of which can't be played on linux. i'd be okay with setting up vm passthrough, but i've seen it has some bugs

what do, Sup Forums. what do

You are getting into programming? Grab an open source game and improve it motherfucker

yuki.la/vg/136546312#p136612903

The fact that you are asking means it's not for you.

This is what Linux users do all day.

get off my lawn shitty flamewar microshit spammer

You get to view the source even though there's a slim to non-existent chance of it ever being useful to you.

>mfw you had to arrange those windows yourself because you don't have a tiling WM

giggled

Wait what the fuck, how'd you get a screenshot of my screen?

I actually only have like 100 GB of Anime
Linux user for over 15 years

>Linux user for over 15 years
Which means you have been a grown up for a long time and still deal with anime. Typical Linux users. They never grow up, instead they will be manchildren for the rest of their lifes.

>benefits
learn a lot in a short period of time, drivers are autodetected and installed, lower system requirements and bloat than windows
>cons
be forced to learn, cant open .exe files (except with wine), drivers can be inferior to windows

I bet you spam every Linux thread arguing for muh gaymes too

This is an Anime website that you're posting on

If you have to ask to Sup Forums, then no

I would kill myself if I had a 20+ y old son who's still obsessed with anime. I don't know whether you people are manchildren or pedophiles, it must be one of the two.

Costs nothing, pretty fast, you can customize it in almost any way, a billion choices, lots of software compared to something like BSD, and it's pretty secure.

Yes, you should switch. Just don't fall for basement dweller memes. Use what the governments and big companies use: Debian, Fedora, or Gentoo. Debian for something stable and easy, Fedora for great security and faster updates, Gentoo for ultimate system control. I use Debian because it's very, very stable and just werks with minimal effort/technical knowledge.

You wouldn't kill yourself.

That's it, get the fuck out you shitposter.

>AMD hardware
Fully supported? I use AMD and everything works with default Ubuntu drivers.

Hey, HEY! PSST!

>New comers and beginners only
Ubuntu
Debian

>Intermediate professionals
RHEL
Fedora

>Expert hackers, top tier server usage and serious programming
Arch
Gentoo

Same for me in Arch. AMD is the best choice for Linux. No proprietary driver hassle.

>Arch
>server usage
you're an idiot.

>Debian
>newcomers
replace with Linux Mint
Debian is slightly harder

fun. runs well. if you play video games. stay on windows. if you're are a successful music producer stay to mac

if your pc is for gaming, or productivity (work/school related) stick with windows. If your pc is not for either of those two things, then switching will be beneficial
> learning curve
> computer faster because less strain on parts
> because generally linux os' are lighter
> you likely won't get a virus unless you want to. you don't need to pay for shit like anti-viruses.

Linux isn't for the average hombre. However, there are a vast amount of Linux flavors/distributions for just about anything you want. You also have the ability to modify/control your whole system unlike proprietary operating systems. With Linux you will be far less vulnerable to malicious software. No virus protection required! I game on Linux as well. I use Steam and games that aren't ported run just fine with WINE. There is a learning curve with Linux, but once you get passed the basics you will most likely never look back. The best thing about Linux is you can boot it off any storage device. Linux is lightweight and will make an obsolete computer run like a brand new pony. There are very few disadvantages to Linux. Do yourself a favor and try it for yourself. If you don't like it you can always stay with the system you currently use. I'm not one to bash Windows/macOS. Everyone has their preference. The best part about Linux is it's simply fun. That's why it will prevail with years to come. People just enjoy it...

is 2016, many business run open source software, which is mostly compatible, wine makes games work as so muhc of windows software

yes, even photoshop

Hacking is still a thing? WOW, are you trying to say that there's not a completely secure operating system? Who would've guessed? I think I'll just go back to Windows 10 now and assume that anything actually gets patched, because there are no changelogs and source code.

Yeah. Ur a nigger! Kill yourself.

Unfortunately, this guy is right for the time being. Linux will only ever be relevant with the introduction of some standardized protocols in relation to productivity that compares to Windows.

Windows has certain quirks that may not be absolutely perfectly efficient, but there is no way that these inefficiencies make it worth spending hours and hours and days and days tweaking your system so that you can use the terminal to grep your emails for some bullshit once a week after 2 hours of coding. Just spend the extra 5 seconds a week doing it manually and learn linux server management if you really want to with the remaining 2 hours.

In summary, windows users follow a standardized protocol that allows them maximal productivity, while linux users follow a FREEDOM XDD protocol that allows them to fuck up their system and waste time running in circles all day.

10 rupees have been deposited on your designated account!

>Linux users
>Win10
Fuck yo bait nigga

Ubuntu 16.04 here. I play video games every night after work. Working through the new Deus Ex right now for example.

I play games on Linus though
and all the games I enjoy work fine

If you are a developer you need Linux. I work twice as fast as on a Windows computer with more possibilities and control.

People saying theres no advantages to Linux must be fucked in the head.

yeah was going to say something like this. Probably just virtual box or dual boot, you'll gain some insight into systems.

no they were not. Most popuar games are rated 17+, the rest are E for EVERYONE

>Access to bleeding edge software used by programmers and "hackers" themselves.
can you give some examples and an explanation to why they aren't available on other OSs?

arduino and what else? Music production and composition software? audio editing? Video/photography editing? animation? Excel? gaming?

>for normies

The pleasure of compromising and tainting the Elite Super Secret Clubhouse.

F R E E D O M
R
E
E
D
O
M

The good: package manager
The bad: package manager made me lazy as fuck so I don't install anything that isn't in a repo anymore

Other than that, command line is neat after you get used to it and you don't need to worry about viruses but that is it for a normie like me

>Faster web browser.
Both Firefox and Chromium run like shit on Linux compared to Windows. The difference is especially noticeable on Chromium.

So a while ago I tried using linux for enough time to be comfortable. Out of every DE the only one that worked really well was XFCE but I tried Gnome, KDE, Cinnamon and MATE as well. Gnome was the closest to what I wanted but it did stutter a little, KDE looked better but performed worse, and the rest weren't just as convenient for me.

Anyways, I noticed that I wouldn't find a way of making notifications work properly for certain things. For instance, calendar and mail notifications. Evolution wouldn't do dick. Any alerts set would be ignored even with the program open. I ended up using XFCE and the mail watch plugin and that was honestly a pretty shitty way to deal with the mail notifications problem.

And that's my issue really with Linux. Some things you can't just have working without issues or using crappy alternatives. Windows 10 and OSX already do this perfectly well.

It's the logical form of computing, evolved from the needs of millions of users.

As one teacher once said, if many of these faggots would stop releasing 20 billion distros and put their efforts together they'd make a good distro

>have lots of time and want to learn about it then go for it

>lots of time

>can literally install ubuntu by clicking next a half dozen times
>OS comes loaded with all programs neccessary for basic users
>all other typical software is one-click installation in the Software Center

How dumb do you consider the general population that you believe this will take them ages to learn?

/thread

get the fuck out of here telemarketer and take your shitty friends with you

It's free. Technology should be free like science. Just imagine what can happen if all technology is non-free

>I work twice as fast as on a Windows computer
Claims like this are absolutely retarded. For some reason, you Lincuck users thrive on tricking people into having a shit computer. Absolutely disgusting.

casual winfag here, i dont care about hurdurr botnet spyware but whenever i use windows i end up playing games all day, im willing to give debian a go again (if it literally wont crash after installing proprifagotry video-wireless drivers).
if i wanted to make a simple 2d jrpg for android what kind of developing tools would you suggest to a NEET with no "real" coding experience? what should i invest my time on? any kind of advice is appreciated

no need to imagine, biotech industry is an example

we even have eroom's law