/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium
arstechnica.com/security/2016/12/fedora-and-ubuntu-0days-show-that-hacking-desktop-linux-is-now-a-thing/
forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=221816
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Configuration
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what was that program that sits in the tray and displays the output of some command? I want a clock and battery level thing from stalonetray.
please respond.

>not using proprietary software
>using """""""libre""""""" crapware
>not knowing the feeling of actually getting shit done
How can anybody be this delusional?

you're just obnoxious.

I'm using Arch if it matters.

OS name?

Saved.

>he doesn't use bitmap fonts

dumb trump poster

can i get the fontasta?

based trump poster

both saved

>tfw captcha calle
>tfw the botnet is visiting some spanish street

>pretends to be pro free software
>posts on Sup Forums, a site which has Googleâ„¢ captcha
How does it feel to be an inconsistent failure?

kind of sad, but then again, I come here to help some people to become botnet free sometimes

pic related

Sometimes you need to walk through piles of shit in order to rescure people from nonfree software.

You're doing the exact opposite right now, with this very post by being inconsistent. I have no reason to trust or believe if you don't stick to your "principles"
Whatever makes you sleep at night. Just don't think you are pro free software.

Are you pro free software?

Is it possible to debotnet chromium?

troll detected

obvious bait should be avoided, we both made clear our stay here and why sacrifice the use of google captcha

I even have firefox-esr with umatrix fagget

there is a guide, but I strongly recommend you use firefox-esr/iceweasel7icecat

No, since I'm posting here right now. I'm not a liar or someone with inconsistent morals. I do prefer free software to proprietary software though.
Yes, it's called chromium (an open source browser). Also please don't use the word "botnet" in such a way. It sounds really really retarded.

I can play sound just fine using aplay, when I specify the device - but I can't select the right device in pavucontrol.
So I get no sound.

Why the fuck can't I figure this out? What files should I be looking at?

Dont be a faggot, faggot. "botnet" is a Sup Forums meme and everyone knows what it means.

He already meant chromium

here is the guide to ungoogle chromium btw github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

you are right, I was thinking that the other day, botnet is already a concept deeply rooted in the community

I don't sacrifice though, I don't believe in the same exact things you do. You think all proprietary software is evil and shouldn't be used, you can easily do that yet you still choose to defy your principles. Maybe your ideas are good, but I have no reason to trust you or your ideas since you can't consistently apply them yourself.
Botnet doesn't mean the thing he tried to imply in that post. Use correct English or fuck off, "it's a Sup Forums meme" isn't a justification.

>Python
no, thanks

kill me then kys

Is Gentoo also suitable for watching anime? Can I watch animations on it like I used to on Arch?

no, gentoo criminalized animes

nigga you serious? I've been seeing more weaboos posting anime than archfags in the years I've been on Sup Forums

nigga you funny

Is this true?
Why not? Anime is pretty good so I could easily believe that many posters here enjoy it.

Somehow among the oldest screencaps from gentoomen I have show an anime girl as the wallpaper. Of course you can watch anime in gentoo.

This was once a occasionally a place for otakus to share their screencaps, even if now they banned the desktop threads.

>The exploit ending in .flac works as a drive-by attack when a Fedora 25 user visits a booby-trapped webpage. With nothing more than a click required, the file will open the desktop calculator. With modification, it could load any code an attacker chooses and execute it with the same system privileges afforded to the user.
arstechnica.com/security/2016/12/fedora-and-ubuntu-0days-show-that-hacking-desktop-linux-is-now-a-thing/

what do

Tell arstechnica that security breaking is called cracking.

Thanks. I have an anime girl as my wallpaper though. I hope it will help me with this new distro. Can you share some of these images?

use a mac

interject

install firejail

can't find many right now, here is one at hand

This is indeed a very anime-like desktop. Thanks!
Could you share more if you find any? I like collecting images like this.

I'm on Arch Linux, btw

not on my computer right now but fvwm site has some

meanwhile on linux mint
>Linux Mint has configured Yahoo as default search engine in the search bar of Firefox. That's not ideal: most people prefer Google. :(
forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=221816

Can I dualboot Arch and Gentoo?

yes

How can I hide the shortcut arrow icon?

Nice. Does anyone know if there is a site which collects just anime images like this? I really like them for some reason...

fucking answer me you cunts
I know you fucking despise every operating system other than microsoft windows 10(tm) and apple macOS(tm) but just fucking answer me
A program that puts the output of some command in the system tray, updating it at some specified interval. Im almost certain this exists but I cant find it with a search engine.

google seems to accumulate them
also for new ones

Is compiling for the same architecture but a different processor with a different instruction set considered cross compiling? For example haswell -> celeron. If so, is there an easy way to set it up in gentoo? I remember having trouble with cross compiling to raspberry pi a while ago and I wondered if anything has changed.

>nearly 2017
>still not using Linux Mint master race

The new update will bring browser sandboxing, native virtual machine, HTTP2 compatibility and much more, a Linux Mint update have never took so long to develop

Source: www.longmint.com

I'm in the process of building my own OS from scratch for a class project, and for my first task I have to build a cross compiler. This is supposed to be the easiest task but two days later I'm nowhere and I'm starting to worry that I took a bite I might not chew. What to do senpai.

>and for my first task I have to build a cross compiler.
>for my first task
this seems like bullshit.

Holy shit. Scripting is way more fun than I'd imagine.
I just made a script for binary files that edits certain bytes (either with a file or typed out) and moves everything to a specified directory.
At first, the script was just supposed to launch dhex on the files so I'd edit the specific offsets myself but now it's done automatically.
Feels good man.

Wrong tab, mate.
You're looking for /dst/ (daily scripting thread)

Should I use radeon or amdgpu(free version) for GCN 2.0 card?

How do i build a deblobed minimal libre-kernel,preferably only loading modules read from modprobed-db?

>gentoo centriuqe parts
There aren't any, genkernel is bad for configuring your kernel. Just use it to make an initramfs if you need one by doing genkernel --install initramfs
Just follow this and you should have no issues at all.
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Configuration
Also check everything you use LVM, pulseaudio, amd gpu, etc. on the gentoo wiki. They usually provide info for enabling kernel modules you need.
By using gentoo's delob useflag and building modprobed-bd from git, it isn't in the main portage tree.
It compiles in about 7 minutes for me if I do a make localmodconfig.

Can you fuck off?
I'm not using nor do i intend on running gentoo.

wew laddy

>epic image
Stay with your shitty arch then lmao
It's more suitable for redditors like yourself who can't follow simple commands

>3MB jiff, just to post that stupid image
Hiroshima would be ashamed of you.

Thoughts on Linux Mint? Is it really good?

That seems quite stupid to run

Sitting here 38 minutes.
Takes 3 minutes to compile arch kernel

linux seems appealing because i'm getting into programming but i don't care about the "botnet" and i like games, some of which can't be played on linux. i'd be okay with setting up vm passthrough, but i've seen it has some bugs

is it worth switching to linux

Bet that doesn't get as many honks as the assman

where is a screenshot of the make running though?
>he thinks compile times are somehow tied to your distro and not to your compiler flags and the amount of bloat your config has
>4.4.26
also fucking kek'd at this

>4.4

There is no make,its loading the patches and then shits on its self
>4.4
Stock kernel is stock

what is the difference between linux?

Exactly the same as the difference between computer

nonfree software

Is arch the official distro for lolicon?

>There is no make,its loading the patches and then shits on its self
Exactly, why did you even feel the need to mention compile times then?
Post your make.conf here.
>Stock kernel
What the fuck do you mean by "stock"? You do realize that 4.9 is already in the main portage tree and has been since the very day it became mainline?

>emerge gentoo-sources
kek, that shouldn't take more than 3minutes, arch babby

No, you want Mac OS X, and this isn't the thread for that, you're looking for /fag/ - Friendly Apple General.

No, Windows 10

Are you sure you have mounted /proc and /sys?
Looks like you haven't properly done that before chrooting.
also this lmao

Arch would have compiled over 20 times :^), while gentoo just sits in the corner playing with its self
>stock
gentoo-sources

Yes,/proc,/sys and /dev are all mounted

Installing gentoo sources does not compile the kernel. It only installs the sources. It should only take a minute or so. To install the kernel you have to do it manually or by genkernel, compiling the sources that you have installed.

reread second (2nd) line of >gentoo
nah, it's your retardation. i've installed it more than 10 times at this point on literally everything i could get my hands on and i've never had this. It's just untaring an archive so this behavior is really strange.
Explain the steps you did excluding the partitioning. Do other packages download properly? Try emerging 4.9 and delete your previous ones in /usr/src. Also do emerge --depclean after or before that.

A system clock and stuff like that? Are you talking about conky maybe?

I'm aware.But it just gives up and does nothing
Im following the GENTOO WIKI VERBAITAM.Please read the installation wiki and make sure it is correct if this is the case.
>just untaring
Then why does it cease to function at this point? tar worked for stage3

extract stage3
do locale
do networking
mount /proc /sys/dev
chroot
emnerge-webrsync
eselect "desktop"
emerge gentoo-sources

do emerge -avuDN @world
post the output here. Also, try compiling something simple like vim, is everything fine with that?
>Then why does it cease to function at this point? tar worked for stage3
because you weren't untaring anything in your chrooted environment, you did that from a livecd.
Maybe the install does something else too, but it sure as fuck doesn't compile anything at this point. All emerge gentoo-sources should do is get the sources, apply necessary patches and copy them to /usr/src/

>emerge -avuDN @world
It found packages to update,and then updated them.

I am in the chroot environment.

>about to start installing gentoo
>only used ubuntu before
>also retarded at using linux

will I be daijobu?

I want to see what packages exactly, just interested in this problem. It seems too strange to me.
So something like vim compiles normally?
Try the 4.9 kernel by writing =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.9.0 ~amd64 in a file in /etc/portage/package.keywords
>I am in the chroot environment.
Yeah, I know, there's no emerge on the livecd. I was talking about you previously untaring stage3 to /mnt/gentoo from your livecd.
How long have you used it for? You should be fine if you have basic problem solving skills and the ability to read.

No, I want it to be in the systray/"notification area". Ideally by just printing the output of "date" and "cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/capacity"

about 2 months. haven't gotten too deep into it yet though but I figure if I'm gonna get wet I might as well go swimming.

COMPILING

I think it's fine. Might wanna try it out on a laptop or something first though since you might make some retarded mistakes at first. I know I did.

can i use aircrack-ng on ".cap" files if that ".cap" file is still being written on by airodump-ng ?

Write a small python program.
Search the web for a systray example.
Add your own code.
Profit.

Guys.

Want to install Ubuntu. What's the difference between installing XFCE/LXDE/etc desktop environment compared to getting the "spin-offs" like Xubuntu and Lubuntu?

Leave your neighbours alone, faggot.

Distros with preinstalled DEs usually have added rice and patches. When you install a DE manually, you get the vanilla DE.