/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of fucking March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Samsung Galaxy S8 to come with a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8_to_come_with_a_rearmounted_fingerprint_sensor-news-22216.php

Huawei Honor Magic unveiled: curvy body, dual cameras
gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_magic_unveiled_curvy_body_dual_cameras-news-22214.php

HTC 10 receives $200 price cut in US for limited time
gsmarena.com/htc_10_receives_200_price_cut_in_us_for_limited_time-blog-22204.php

BlackBerry stops making phones, licenses the BlackBerry name to TCL for Android phones
greenbot.com/article/3151181/phones/blackberry-hands-its-brand-to-tcl-maker-of-its-last-smartphones.html

Sony will reveal two new Xperia phones and SmartWatch 4 at CES 2017
techmousse.com/sony-will-reveal-two-new-xperia-phones-ces-2017-event-jan-4/

Deal: The Honor 8 has received a $100 price cut for both the 32GB and 64GB models
amazon.com/Honor-Dual-Camera-Unlocked-Phone/dp/B01IVV7W6O/

old

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11890876
zteusa.com/zte-zephyr
gsmarena.com/htc_10_receives_200_price_cut_in_us_for_limited_time-blog-22204.php
forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/zte-paragon-aka-zte-zephyr-z753g-z752c-t3259806
youtu.be/W4zTNWKFPpM
eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/oneplus-3-a3000-dual-sim-4g-64gb-space-gray-flashed-os.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Amazon reviews praise it. I think it'll be enough for my mum instead of the nexus 5x.

>Blackberry stops making phones

YES FUCK YOU PHYSICAL KEYBOARD AUTISTS, WELCOME TO THE GLORIOUS ERA OF TOUCHSCREEN ALL DAY EVERY DAY

Google pixel or iphone 6s or 7?

Looking for up to 450eur ~5" phone that has good rom support. Something waterproof would be amazing but I don't expect it.

I have a Blu R1 HD that I bought as a travel phone(home network is Verizon, CDMA based American carrier) but now with all this recent news about how the stock firmware has Chinese spyware what should I do with it? I have two options

>keep it turned off until someone finds a way to achieve root and unlock the bootloader with the newest software updates that locked the phone down again but fixed the spyware problem
>just update to the latest software and enjoy the lockscreen ads from Amazon

Xperia X. 5" IP68.

>high quality android phone

>or an iPhone with software updates that will slowly kill it
>or an iPhone that has no headphone jacket

>high quality

You can get the exact same specs and features from other manufacturers for 500 dollars less, they're expecting you to pay for the brand ala applel, yet they couldn't be arsed to make the XL 5.7" in size for a true "premium" experience, give it 6 GB of ram and a 4500 mAh battery to keep it relevant for 3 years more or at least put an sd slot on it or have a dedicated audio dac like HTC or LG.

>muh updates

Literally no one but normalfags care about that, any semi popular phone will always enjoy from custom roms up to date with android releases, you're also delusional if you think they'll truly maintain this phone for longer than a year, if anything they'll toss 3 security updates more and a a beta of of O.

S7

I was waiting for a good qwerty android phone :(

>How are smartphones not /fa? They're like clothes in the sense that everyone uses them but only people with "taste" choose certain brands/styles to complete a certain look.
What does Sup Forums think of this?

iPhone 6s (or 7 if you don't care about a headphone jack)

S6

No you're gonna take your 6inch identical phablets like the rest of us and you're going to like it.

Boys: if I flash a CM nightly, and make some changes to the CPU settings like underclock and change governor, will those settings get reset to default when I flash the next nightly?

>tfw your phone is on its way

>he fell for the chink shit shills
lmao

I'm happy for you too user

Maybe, in my experience all the apps and settings remain after flashing an update

Whats better tuga browser or yubrowser?

Was given an old Samsung Galaxy Note 3, should I use it over my current Moto e? Was planning on putting cm13 on it

A quick look just told me that all Note 3 variants are stuck on CM11, some of them on 12.1 while all Moto E variants are on CM14. If you're lucky and have one of the 12.1 supported ones, you're not THAT bad (Android 5.1) but CM11 (4.4) might be too ancient feature and performance-wise at this point.

Anyone else tired of waiting for the mi5c?

As soon as I found out it wouldn't even be snapdragon, or even a fucking mediatek, which would be better than their shitty in house SoC, I ordered a zuk z2.

Why would anyone want the mi5c when the redmi notes(3 pro and 4)or zuk z2 are all better alternatives?

I need to order one right now
Please help
strawpoll.me/11890876

I meant HT7 Pro

Oukitel k10000

Really?
Oukitel?
Ok, can I get some reason why? I know some user didn't like it very much

I have $200 salary and want a good smartphone (i.e. the best of the chinese shit i can probably afford). Give me advice.

is that per month or year?

Month
It's not THAT bad down here

Let me guess, Balkan?
Same

Dang alright, thanks user

Nah, Belarus
But i guess it's the same thing

>custom ROMs
>on an iPhone
I think your reading comprehension needs improvement.

alright, so there are really more fucked up places than where i live.

Should I get the S7, Pixel, or LG V20

What's wrong with Oukitel?
I'm using a k6000 pro and it's pretty comfy.

GO AWAY ZUK CUK SHILL

ubij sebe molim te

Dang that sucks guys :/
What do you do?

you don't pay rent and mooch of your parents as much as you can, it's like being a NEET but with a job on top. Think of it as the first layer of hell.

I'm interested in rooting my phone. It's not a fancy thing like one of those $800 phones, so there isn't a huge user base for it, and as a result there doesn't seem to be any real guides for rooting this specific phone.

ZTE Zephyr
Model #: Z752C
Android Version: 4.4.4
zteusa.com/zte-zephyr

I need to root because this phone doesn't allow me to install apps to the SD Card, and the internal storage is ridiculously small. (FUCK GOOGLE for all their uninstallable bloat literally leaving me with under 3/4 of a GB out of the box, and less than 1/4 of a GB after these update themselves)
Also I want to install an ad blocker and be able to play with some other things down the road. It seems like half the cool shit you can do with smartphones requires root access, it's truly stupid that there's no official way to obtain it.

Ideally I'd like the best no bullshit method. Not so much the "simplest" or safest one but I also want it simple and safe if possible. Just no fucky shit and buggy workarounds. There's nothing important on the phone, I'm still using my old one in fact. It's pretty much fresh out of the box and if a nuclear option (where you have to wipe the data on the phone while doing the root) exists and is more reliable, I'll happily take that one over any which prioritize preserving data. Got nothing to lose unless I brick the phone, then I'm just out of the phone. And I have a second one of the same model if something goes catastrophically wrong.

I own a PC if it helps.

Why are you such a dick?
And physical keyboards are much better than on-screen, who the hell even argues against that?
I cannot stand the phablet craze.

Just upgraded from cm13 to cm14.1

It's so fast and snappy compared to cm13, and it looks nicer. But fucking hell boys, the battery life is much worse. What gives?

It's still alpha/nightly, just give it a month or so.

ZTE Axon 7
Oneplus3T
Huawei Nexus 6p

Are the best decently priced options for a smartphone with good photo and battery life, right?
Did I missed something? (maybe Xiaomis but not sure if they work on all bands in Europe)

Also, is there some particular model I should wait for maybe instead of buying one of those 3?

Samsung S7 owner here through T Mobile.

Can I root my phone yet? Has anyone found a way to root T Mobile devices yet? I haven't been in the loop for months so I don't know any smartphone news as of late.

If you like to take fancy photos you might want to add the Huawei Honor 8 to that list,

iphone se

Thanks for the suggestion, I looked into the Mate 8 but Honor 8 looks great, and it's cheaper too.

If you dirty flashed, do a factory reset and wipe cache/dalvik. Battery life on 14.1 is excellent on my mi5.

>Tfw got this shitkicker

Signed up for project fi and ordered a pixel. Has anyone had any experience with the network?

>HTC 10 receives $200 price cut in US for limited time
>gsmarena.com/htc_10_receives_200_price_cut_in_us_for_limited_time-blog-22204.php

I literally ordered this phone off of their website a week ago and mine didn't shit with headphones. They had the 200 dollar off promo then too, but no headphones. I'm pretty mad

Zuk is SHIT!
SHIT!

Just got this in mint condition for £170. I think I did pretty good.

So I fucked up and got a nexus 6p, and it sucks. It's slow as hell and too big for me.

Will the Zuk Z2 be an upgrade or would I have to go to a higher price point

Sucks when shit like that happens.

Ordered my zuk z2 pro, then 2 days later it gets a 60 aud price drop.

It'll be an upgrade but camera will be worse.

$200~$300 budget, looking for android phone
what do

Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro

The 2 GB model is around 120€, would that fit your budget?

Pretty sure all S7s are rootable now.

Zuk z2 is better than a redmi 3 pro and under 200, but since the redmi is cheaper it might be the better option

this gets asked in every thread and theanswer is always moto g4

i thought g4 was a meme

Zuk z2, xiaomi redmi note 3 pro, huawei p9 lite

when people talk about CAF browsers optimized for snapdragon, do they mean literally all ranges or just the high end stuff?

would a 650 see much benefit?

htc 10

After having an LG with bootloop I will never buy an LG again.

Lol no. Overpriced chink shit.

It's a meme anyway, literally doesn't do shit.

>still have until early January to return the iPhone I bought solely as a temporary until I find a good Android phone (android phone I had before broke)
>getting more and more used to iOS and not sure if I want to switch back to Android
>mfw
I don't like this feel

What's the best Sony phone right now, value wise?

forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/zte-paragon-aka-zte-zephyr-z753g-z752c-t3259806

looks like youre fucked mate

Their 2016 phones are piss poor value so there isn't really a good answer for that. They will be announcing new models next month, wait for those and hope they unfuck the X range.

good goy, buy the 7 plus 128 GB for you and your black boyfriend, stop being such an holocaust denying islamophobic racist!

Screens with the Pixel are hit and miss
Shame the internet and memes exaggerated the Note 7 situation, idiots and their .20 chargers, I miss it
What's the verdict on the Honor 8? Camera is very important for me, I was abroad and the moto G is ass

how the fuck do I root my android phone

never used android or linux before

downloaded iRoot but all it's doing is installing chink spyware

FUCK ZUK

Note 7 wasn't an exaggeration, it was a design flaw.
Soon they'll all be carrier disabled so autists can't carry their pocket bombs out in public and use them anymore.

>my android phone
A specific model name would sure be fucking helpful. Google it and find the XDA forum for it, if there isn't one, your phone is shit and you probably can't root it.

Because Xiaomi has gone full retard. As much as I hate zuk shills that phone is kinda nice.

What's wrong with the zuk, meme chink shills aside?

It's worse than the mi5, duh.
Worse camera, worse SoC, worse battery, worse everything!

ok

>can't do split screen mode on my OPO in CM14.1 without enabling navbar

Nice one CM.

Sooooooooooo what's the verdict of the Honor 8?
VS other phones
VS Huawei P9

Isn't the zuk z2 pro almost the same price now?

Honor 8 is probably the best camera around that price point, but the zuk also has an AMOLED screen, rollcage, and SD820 with 6GB ram and 128GB UFS.

But if your priority is camera, go for the honor 8. You're pretty much getting flagship tier camera for much cheaper, and the SoC should be plenty powerful for most people.

$300, never thought I'd say it but a flagship tier camera is a priority, Moto G4's camera ruined my vacation with its shitty picture

Verizon is running a deal atm where I can pay $15/m for either an iPhone7/Google Pixel/S7
. I can probably convince my boss to cover the charge (They already cover 20% of my bill as long as I use Verizon)

Not a fan of Apple at all, and I really did not like my S5. I am thinking about just going with the Pixel.

I really only use my phone for calls/texts/occasional games & pictures.

Is there any real drawback to the pixel (other than having the least support) that I am missing?

Zuk z2 pro and honor 8 both have a pretty good camera. Honor 8 camera is better though, so if that's your priority them I'd recommend that.

youtu.be/W4zTNWKFPpM

Processing seems better on the zuk2 but not to a point where I'd forgive a shit camera
Has anyone actually used one here? I remember the hype with Asus and that was a disaster

>he fell for the iOS sucks meme
If you like it keep it faggot

Should I keep using my Note 5 or switch to the S7 Edge? I live in the U.S.

Nah but I've got one coming in to upgrade from my nexus 5.

Can't wait 2bh. I'd like a nice camera, but since it wasn't my only priority I went with the zuk.

Don't forget both brands will be releasing updates to their phones too, so whichever brand you get should see some improvements in camera quality over time.

Few drawbacks if someone is paying the phone for you, it has great specs and all, but the design is ugly, has no sd slot, mediocre speakers and is way too expensive, other than that its ok, you get the pixel mostly to brag about how much income you have to waste on pointless shit.

How's the Moto G Plus? 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage for $298. My Nexus 5 is almost three years old now.

Verizon has a special right now where if you keep their contract for 2 years its only $10/m

How much did it cost you?

eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/oneplus-3-a3000-dual-sim-4g-64gb-space-gray-flashed-os.html

About to pull the trigger on this. Should I go for it?