/sqt/

/sqt/
Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

np.reddit.com/r/news/comments/3x4wih/congress_creates_a_bill_that_will_give_nasa_a/cy21lyw/
megaprocessor.com/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How would you explain to someone that is a little bit tech literate (knows what is linux, did some programming of his free time) why privacy is actually something important.
This guy actually don't mind if I send him a lot of stuff about the subject, he is actually interested about it. Problem is that I don't want to spend too many time and wanted to know if there was a fast way to explain it

np.reddit.com/r/news/comments/3x4wih/congress_creates_a_bill_that_will_give_nasa_a/cy21lyw/

take naked pictures of your friend and post them on the internet
see how much he likes his privacy

In my own personal view, privacy is a prerequisite for freedom of speech. What do you do when you're around people? You filter your speech and your thoughts. You adjust and temper yourself to fit nicely with everyone else. You might still be shaped your own unique way but you aren't allowed to be you. Only with privacy are you free to actually speak and think your mind. If you have to tiptoe around a hundred different things then you aren't very free. And at this point just searching for "linux" is enough to get you on a list in the US and hosting a video of yourself stuffing your fist in your mouth while drunk can get you arrested in Britain.

can't get wifi to work. it says it's connected but no ping.

here's ip addr

1: lo: mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKOWN group default qlen 1
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

2:wlo1: mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group defualt qlen 1000
link/ether b0:10:41:52:e0:04 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.0.107/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global dynamic wlo1
valid_lft 86399sec preferred_lft 86399sec
inet6 fe80::c801:3394:87c6:84d6/64 scope link
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

3:enp4s0: mtu 1500 qdisc fc_codel state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether 14:58:d0:0d:4c:3c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

How good is ADATA SU800?

SP550 works really good but im looking for something new and more reliable.

Its supposed to use 3D NAND which should be more reliable.

toward govs it's quite obvious and easy to explain

Not a good example I think. It's quite obvious that you shouldn't put naked pictures of you

Actually I'm more looking to why privacy is important towards big companies and stuff. Why you can't really trust closed source software and services that are free with a stupid privacy policy saying
>we don't sell your data [...]maybe with some "trusted partners"

Are chromebases easily compatible with any linux distro?
I know they run modified gentoo

Is there a way to filter fagpass users in 4chanx?

windows 10? disable ipv6

no it's arch linux.

if you help me i'll draw you a maki eating a tomato.

i... wanna do this irl to some girl and see what happens

>inb4 rape accusation

yeah, intel based and arm based
the big issue is low ram soldered on and small storage soldered on

it's only a fantasy right now
just have a nice little project for shits and giggles
fancy all-in-one linux pc
>soldered in storage
That's the shit that puts people in the ninth circle of hell

Why didn't they just rape her?

Where is the chassis point (GND) on this logic board?

Why won't Sup Forums stay on Yotsuba even though I've allowed cookies? My other settings remain yet it switches to Youtsuba B by itself
On Chromium by the way

For companies it's the same deal. Right now isn't there a lawsuit against Cox for not taking away service from people who were downloading music?

Hey, could somebody please tell me how to bind the wangblows key to the lxde start menu? I've exhausted all the resources on the subject and nothing seems to help.

>inb4 install xfce
I'm tempted but I have not yet simply because lxde is more efficient (at least, that is what I am told).

>inb4 just install xfce
I'm very tempted but I

I run a modified version of Windows 10 Home OEM on my laptop. On my desktop I run a licensed version of stock Windows 10.

I would like to use my modified version on my desktop as well. What is the best way of doing this other than manually making all the changes again?

(continued because Sup Forums is run by idiots)
I'm very tempted but I've been informed that xfce is less efficient than lxde and efficiency is important on this particular computer due to its poor specs.

run lxqt

clonezilla

How does one "modify" Windows? Is this like the XP GOLD EDITION bootleg from Pakistan that's filled with ducked-taped drivers and illegally distributed software?

any of the mounting holes

Extended changes to the registry, disabled updates (really), custom themes, removed bloat, blocked and removed telemetry, among other things.
Looks good. I take it I need to install a clone and then reinstall all my drivers.

testing

What sort of sick fuck are you? You could say that about literally any action involving a woman.

kys

Does Hi10p typically use a lot of CPU power? I was watching some low-res documentary and the video player started fucking stuttering from how hot my laptop got.

Why don't they simply make the color black equivalent to the pixel being switched off?

OLED screens do that
Most LCD displays can't do that because the backlight is a single source, the pixel just blocks the light

they do where possible, but i take it you're talking about LCD's, that's not how it works
LCD pixels do not generate light, they just selectively block light from the backlight behind them, so to make black, they need to fully block the backlight

So one of my family members' desktop shit the bed. Completely froze out of nowhere, and upon rebooting, hung at the "Starting Windows" screen. Safe mode also hangs in the same manner while loading, as does attempting to boot from a repair disc. I figured it to be an issue with damaged system files, but removing the hard drive and trying to boot Ubuntu in live mode off a USB experiences the same issues. In addition, I've reset the CMOS and run memtest86, which hasn't shown any errors with the RAM, what else could be causing the problem?

Because that's usually the colour white. on LCD screens there's a big backlight and the LCD pixels block out the white like in a digital watch.

check the fans are all working, and that the machine, especially the cpu heatsink, is clear of dust
also, how long did you run memtest for? i've seen people only run it for 5 min, that doesn't cut it

Sounds like faulty disk or other hardware. Disconnect as many components as you can and boot into Linux live CD, then add them back in one by one until you find the offender.

my money is on the disk.

>" but removing the hard drive and trying to boot Ubuntu in live mode off a USB experiences the same issues."
it's not the disk

The fans all work and everything is dust free.
I ran memtest for at least three hours, so I'm fairly certain the RAM is fine.

I figured it to be the disk as well, but the mistake persists even after I've taken it out.

what exactly does it do?
does the machine have a dedicated gpu?

One of your cpu cores might have burnt out. Disable all but one core in the bios, see if that works.

It could just be that something on the mobo has popped. Remove everything that you can, gfx, as much ram as you can, peripherals, turn shit off in the BIOS. Work your way up.

Can you get a log of Linux booting up? It might give some clues.

I want to setup a google os terminal at one of my family's business sites (since basically all of our shit is done in the browser). Are there any notable chrome boxes out there that are highly recommended?

My DuckHunter on Kali Linux Nethunter on my Galaxy S3 wont work with anything, it just does nothing

this isn't the stupid statements thread

What's the best 3rd party twitter app for Android?

Thanks

So, why didn't they rape her?

Which chromebook would be the best option for running native linux and eclipse?

why would they have?

good/decent privacy respecting email providers
openmailbox closed sign ups and I need mail, send help

>what exactly does it do?
When booting Windows, it locks on "Starting Windows," same for the repair/install CD.
With a Ubuntu USB, I'm able to select language, then live or persistant mode, then all I get is a blinking cursor in the corner. Same thing happens with an Arch USB.
The machine does have a dedicated GPU, the motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics though so I can't do much to test without it.

Just finished trying this, no dice.

I've already removed most of what I can. I'll try running both sticks of RAM individually, but I can't really do much more than that.
Both screens for Linux show nothing but a blinking cursor after launch, is there any way to get boot logs to write to the USB?

proton

Because this was funny

thanks

I didn't use a rape one because blue board.
Sup Forums jannies even delete my ZOG tattooed ladyboys and banned me for it.
You'll have to imagine the rape.

you should try to test that gpu in some way (try it in another machine, put other machines' gpu in this one, etc)
what you've described thus far doesn't rule out the gpu

>Both screens for Linux show nothing but a blinking cursor after launch
try removing "quiet" and adding "nomodeset" to the kernel argument

>ZOG tattooed ladyboys
w-what

I've added nomodeset to the launch options, no change. quiet wasn't present to begin with. I'll go ahead and try to see if I can fit the GPU into my PC.

>quiet wasn't present to begin with.
there much have been something silencing output if you got a cursor and nothing else, or the bootloader didn't start linux at all, does your boot disk work in another machine?

Ive tried accessing an old HD from my new laptop (windows), but cant access C, only D. I try to get into C drive and it says "cyclic redundancy error", "drive has no format". Is there a way to recover or reconstruct that partition? i have some files i need stored there.

Looking for a tv 50" or greater 1080p or greater and less than $700AUD. Just want something with a smart hub like thing for netflix, stan and sbs on demand. And also can play h265.

Would it be feasible to write an Android app to control my Vizio TV or is it likely all proprietary? It comes with a tablet for its remote, and I'd like a more stripped-down version of the app that avoids all the streaming services and includes things like an always-accessible button to toggle Game mode. Any thoughts?

How can I create a bootable windows 10 USB on fedora?

I have the ISO, but how do I get it on there in my OS?

Help plz

iz funny cuz you think is rape but iz not!

you didn't ask a question

Are coding boot camps the real deal?

Back from testing a bunch of stuff, I put my graphics card into his computer and saw no difference, so it's not the GPU. At this point I'm beginning to believe something on the motherboard must have shorted out in a power surge seeing as how the power supply isn't hooked up to a protector.
>does your boot disk work in another machine?
Yes, both work on my PC.

I want to change my router's password and other settings. When I try to log onto 192.168.1.1 it asks for user and password, I've tried 1234, 0000 and admin and none of those work, is there any way to find that out?

How do I enable hwdec by default on mpv?

I have vo=opengl
hwdec=vdpau

but I can do this fine in the terminal, however when I use default mpv it doesn't work and it defaulting to yuv software decoding with opengl

(+) Video --vid=1 (*) (h264)
(+) Audio --aid=1 (*) 'Stereo' (aac)
AO: [pulse] 48000Hz stereo 2ch float
Using hardware decoding (vdpau).
VO: [opengl] 1280x528 vdpau
AV: 00:00:05 / 02:04:33 (0%) A-V: 0.000

(+) Video --vid=1 (*) (h264)
(+) Audio --aid=1 (*) 'Stereo' (aac)
AO: [pulse] 48000Hz stereo 2ch float
VO: [opengl] 1280x528 yuv420p
AV: 00:00:02 / 02:04:33 (0%) A-V: 0.000

I have verified my config file is being read by putting gamma=5000 and getting an error, is there another way to verify?
I'm putting everything in .config/mpv/mpv.conf

thanks

If it isn't written physically on your router, then there isn't a way and you can reset your router to default factory settings by holding the reset button on the back

try:
admin // password
admin // admin

or google your specific router for defaults

other than that, just reset it to factory and then config the stuff

pls guys

have you tried accessing the drive using a linux live distro on a usb?
it's worth a shot

what should i ask for christmas? there's one week left and i have no idea what i want.

Anyone?

I want to encrypt my entire Windows system.

is the BitLocker okay for that?

Bitlocker is compromised. So if you're encryption is to hide from the gov no. Otherwise it's fine.

With uBlock Origin, is it possible to whitelist a specific website only from one of the lists? For example if I want to whitelist a site from the EasyPrivacy list but still have the other lists active on it?

damn

what's a better alternative?

I have a machine that has several of the same model HDD. I'm currently imaging one of the drives for an upgrade. Problem is I can't remember which physical drive is which due to them all looking the same. Is there a command on an ubuntu based distro that can tell me what drive is plugged into which sata port?

>Buy Sprint HTC One M9.
>Unlock bootloader.
>Install TWRP.
>S-On because have to pay for S-OFF?
>Want to install Badboyz or ViperROM.
>Have to install firmware.
>Can't install firmware, gives me error saying incorrect model?
>Can't flash with SD card, because I don't have one.
>Phone now softbricked in limbo

How the hell do I install a rom? What do I do Sup Forums /

Which search engine should I be using instead of Google botnet? I seems that DuckDuckGoy isn't much better. What about Startpage? I see this on their website though, and I don't quite like it:

>On July 14th 2008 Ixquick received the first European Privacy Seal from European Data Protection Supervisor Mr. Peter Hustinx. The Seal officially confirms the privacy promises we make to our users. It makes Ixquick the first and only EU-approved search engine. Both EU Commissioner Viviane Reding and Dr.Thilo Weichert, German Privacy Commissioner complimented StartPage on its privacy achievements. You can find the press release here.

I'm moving into my first apartment tomorrow. My choices for internet are broadband with comcast or fios with verizon. I don't know the price of either yet, but forgoing that which would you suggest?

I remember watching a very great talk about privacy on youtube. I think it was a police officer (from NY?) talking about it in a general way. From the software and devices we used to the cameras in the street and the software to recognize people faces from footages.
Shit was great and a bit long.
Anyone got a link ?

How does one learn to make a computer from scratch? Like how people make those computers in logisim or Redstone in that block game. Is there any book or online resource that is good for me to get started?

megaprocessor.com/index.html

What happens if you run pic related?

That image is against the rules desu

It's an 5400 RPM drive.

Do these speeds indicate that it's broken?

Go on...

Those look pretty normal. HDD's have decent sequential read/writes but bad random read/writes. My 7200 RPM western digital black cavier does about 110-120 MB/s sequential.

Strange. In my laptop it was running very slowly. Booting took like 5 minutes and opening a big folder takes seconds. In general it feels unresponsive. What else could it be?

are you using windows?

Occasionally I upload music albums onto filesharing sites like uploaded or zippyshare. I know links often get flagged for DMCA and the site removes the link, but do they ever go the extra step and identify the uploader?

Just wondering if I should be uploading files through a VPN or something.

What email provider should I use as a backup for my gmail account?
I'm still using yahoo mail...

>Just wondering if I should be uploading files through a VPN
Yes.

Hushmail

>Hushmail
will that work with the iOS mail app?

No idea. I don't use iOS.

Fair enough.
I looked it up and IMAP is only available for premium members. Thanks for the suggestion otherwise.

No problem, famalam.