First time Linux - Chromebook?

I want to get into Linux and programming also. I need a computer which will act as a Linux machine. I've heard good things about Chromebook's and I'd probably go with a Laptop as it's cheaper than a PC/more spacious as I already have one, but it's for Windows and gaming. I don't want to dual-boot, so what computer do you think would do the job. I'm looking to install Linux Mint on it.

Other urls found in this thread:

galliumos.org/
wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility
amzn.eu/0Xij5b5
amzn.eu/iFEz4mA
amzn.eu/9P4IEjE
amzn.eu/0h2LQWw
amzn.eu/igGSR4H
amzn.eu/9vJmI4B
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

buy a macbook instead

Can't senpai, I'm on a budget of £300 max

uhh then stop being poor?

a nice second hand thinkpad

if only it was that easy

Any particular models that are good?

thinkpad 13, can get a second hand one for ~300

Anybody recommend a chromebox? I want to set up a chrome os terminal at a family business site (since all of our shit can be done in the browser).

can you use chrome/chromium? why not just get an orange pi or some other sbc

The *60 range are the last ones that aren't part of the Intel botnet.

For like, web browsing, programming and fuckin around with linux?
It can be hard to fully install a linux distro on a chromebook. Its easier to use crouton and run ubuntu alongside chromeos.

If youre just looking for a linux machine to play with, honestly look into old thinkpads. T60/61, T42, etc
Cheap as can be

I about it but wouldn't an official chromebox be a little bit more secure and receive automatic updates vs a chromium box?

no idea, never heard of chromebox

Time has actually been really patient with them as well.

I literally use a T60 as my only computer and it's great. Only thing I've gotten for it is a cheap SSD and the drive-bay expansion for a second HDD.

Get Asus C201, install Libreboot -> profit

I just want a long battery life and portable system to do some programming.

Thinkpads get bulky if you want long battery life. Their style doesn't really appeal to me either.

if you just need a computer, a used desktop would blow a chromebook out of the water for the price. if you need a laptop to install linux on, don't get a chromebook. just get a used laptop or something. they don't have good driver support and are a pain to get root and bios access to install linux.

t. someone who fell for the chromebook as perfect linux laptop because it runs linux meme

Used Thinkpad

this and If you don't want to dual-boot and you're trying to save money, just get a Thinkpad honestly. I bought a used X220 with the battery, HDD, 4GB RAM and in good working condition for '£104' on eBay for the sole purpose of Linux, programming, web browsing and comfy bedposting.

Hell, watch yourself some chinese cartoons or YouTube if you want on it.

Although considering these factors, a chromebook would be just fine for that too. I had an Acer C720 with Ubuntu via crouton installed. I absolutely loved it before I traded it for something else I wanted at the time.

I actually debated over re-buying it versus my now-current Thinkpad X220, but bulkiness wasn't a main concern for me. I wanted a bit more power, so I opted for the Thinkpad. However, I think you'd do fine with a Chromebook. Just no ARM variant ones. Stick to x86.

what anime?

What sort of battery life can you get with the x220 and a 9-cell?

Not OP, but I'm looking to get a linux machine that can do 8+ hours. Was looking into chromebooks, but I'm not against thinkpads.

Yeah, just for a nice OS, web browsing and programming. I'll be doing ZERO gaming on this machine and any other hardware-intensive facilities.

Any idea where I can get a good Thinkpad in the UK?

Thank you all Sup Forums, you've been very helpful.

Just buy a Raspberry Pi and SSH into it for all your dev work. No one in the real world uses Linux with a DE/GUI.

No one.

The best Linux experience I've ever had is the T420s I'm using now. Everything works perfectly, I'm getting 6 hours on an old OEM battery and a Chinese special ultrabay one.

As far as Chromebook Linux goes, I have a HP Chromebook 14 with crouton and it's the second best Linux laptop experience I've ever had. Either way, you won't go wrong, OP.

KYS yourself

If you really wanted to go with a Chromebook, get one that supports GalliumOS
galliumos.org/

Check models that have their own installation guides for sanity
wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility

I looked up a few to make sure you can get em in UK...
Acer C720 amzn.eu/0Xij5b5
CB3-111 amzn.eu/iFEz4mA
CB3-131 amzn.eu/9P4IEjE
Dell Chromebook 11 amzn.eu/0h2LQWw
HP Chromebook 11 G4 amzn.eu/igGSR4H

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with a T420 ;)
amzn.eu/9vJmI4B

Anyone have experience installing Linux on eMMC memory? I recently got a cheap budget netbook, not a chromebook, and would like to put Debian or something on it. Googleing shows people having trouble.