Why all the buzz about Discord?

Why all the buzz about Discord?
It seems like yet another fashion messenger.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/6WehyUv
github.com/vishnevskiy
github.com/Jiiks/BetterDiscordApp
twitter.com/AnonBabble

"rich" text chat (inline images/youtube previews)
social features (friends list, private group chats)
voip
free to create your own server, free to use service
twitch integration

i don't use it much, but it's a slick little program

don't have to pay for servers like jewspeak

dubs don't lie

It's okay to use for quick voice chatting, other than that... nothing.

WIRE
I
R
E

It's compatible with a lot of platforms, easy to use and provides most of the functionality of mumble as well as IM without the headache of setting up a server. It was developed by some ffxiv players to be a solution to the issue of having PS4 and PC players on the same platform, because many PS4 players could not use voice chat with PC users.

I prefer IRC. I fucking hate the whole "rich chat" bullshit

It always ends up with people posting stupid emojis and gifs and memes instead of having a decent conversation

Discord isn't really meant for serious conversation and it's entirely possible to have a decent conversation with gifs. You're just an old fogey no-fun-allowed type.

>Sup Forums
>doesn't have own computer to host server ok
okay?

free to create your own server, free to use service

Kiddies and their games

free as in cost you sperg

Sup Forums DISCORD GET IN HERE

discord.gg/6WehyUv
discord.gg/6WehyUv
discord.gg/6WehyUv

its not his fault that english is such a shitty language

Holy shit this is active RIP irc

>its not his fault that english is such a shitty language
hey senpai are you free for a moment?

You may have a server but you havent got friends to play with.

how can discord afford to keep the service up?

tencent invest in them

Basically it's another proprietary Slack clone. Mattermost (for one-off servers) or Matrix+Riot (for federated communications) are the way to go here since they're FOSS.

>enjoys meaningful conversation
>hates gifs and memes
>posts on Sup Forums

Convrrsations depend on the participants, not chat features.

>/me slaps this curmudgeon with a wet trout

and what happens when that investment runs out or when its creators decide it's time to get a decent wage for maintaining it?

discord is a really slick service that works great and doesn't bother its users with ads or donations but it's not sustainable

Twitter, Wikipedia, Skype and many more went through this phase now look at them

And that's why every Sup Forums IRC is dead as fuck with a few dozen people lurking and no one speaking. Very few people on Sup Forums know how to have a "meaningful conversation", that's why every conversation devolves into shitposting.

>discord is a really slick service that works great and doesn't bother its users with ads or donations but it's not sustainable
They can though, in the user agreement you agreed to it

they haven't though, not yet

because microsoft refuses to fix skype

If someone gravitates to a service like irc then they're probably a socially stunted autist with elitist insufferable attitudes anyway. I've had better conversations on discord.

true
it's fucked until microsoft actually rebuild it from scratch

it's still so fucked

"clients" are not friends

They are now

It's easy to setup, very normie friendly, that's pretty much the whole reason it's got popular, if TS/Mumble picked up their act it could have been them.

IRC is a fucking joke tier chat software.
So is Teamspeak and Mumble.

So fucking ancient and dead

>IRC is a fucking joke tier chat software.
>software

Reminder that in the agreement for Discord you agree that Discord gets ownership and full usage rights to ANY file you upload.

>gets "full usage rights" to Sup Forums memes.
lols

A lot of dev teams use Discord for communication.

a lot of dev teams use slack

...it's also better, I've used both

why are cucks using this over IRC? Can I connect to a slack chat through irssi?

It's a Slack clone but marketed towards Gamers® and supports VOIP communication

It just works. Better than Skype in terms of usability and resource usage and more feature rich than Teamspeak.

For the voice chat mainly, not everyone is a textmode cuck

I want Sup Forums to leave.

Slack has VOIP comms too

>slack clone
>main features are voice chat related
so not a slack clone?

having a chat window isn't a slack clone

Source on the devs being FFXIV players?

>having a chat window isn't a slack clone

...sure

The only thing you need to get people to use anything:
>Looks nice
>Other people use it
>Just werks

Russian propaganda, that's why.

Slowpoke.......

Everybody is using Telegram for chatting. Discord is only for Twitch viewer interactions or multiplayer voice comm.

Isn't that what eye-onee-chan uses? Are you a terrorist senpai-kun?

>"rich" text chat (inline images/youtube previews)
You also can format your text to share code in a lot of languages.

Ok but /csg/ is objectively the worst part of the board. REEEE

halo 5 CE when?

github.com/vishnevskiy

It's this guy who also made Guildwork for FFXI/FFXIV.

>t. oldschool FFXI player

vouch

ewww, that means they made it to make it easier to ERP with their PS4fuccbois

It's actually good. Most Electron apps are shit but this isn't bad.

>pooinloosoft

Not surprised

This, "Messengers" only last 1-3 years until there's a new shittier and botnetted one, IRC is forever.

Too bad no IRC client can give those Windows Live Messenger feels.

Is there an official Sup Forums irc? I've seen some channels posted here everyone once in a while, we should start a thread to generate more interest in it. I hate discord, I wish people used IRC instead

>main features are voice chat related
>in 20 discord servers
>no on uses voice chat
Anyway, Slack has voice chat AND video chat too

I pay $20 annual for a mumble server. I love the interface and quality. Some of my friends are real dum dums and refuse to join because there's a 2 minute setup to make voice levels tolerable.

>I pay money to use a free service that I could have set up myself!

dumbass

>I pay .01% of my annual income to have a reliable server

not everyone is poor lul

>free to create your own server, free to use service
I can host my own Discord server?

>it's not that much money! it doesn't matter!

you're still a dumbass for giving your money to a jerkoff that spent ten minutes setting up the server that you and your $20,000 yearly income couldn't do

I wish devs open sourced it. It's god-tier.

No. They redefined "server" to mean "collection of chat rooms" instead of actually having anything to do with a server. Every "server" is hosted on Discord's servers. It's fucking disgusting.

Yeah that's what I thought.

it's a shitty VC startup thing. proprietary and useless.

>node.js

My vote goes to mumble (own server) and skype for the rest.

Doesn't Slack do all of these and with an actual business plan to boot?

A meme filled with memespouting kiddies that I hope dies quicker than Skype did.

Fucking web-app shit.

Its also a "react native app" so you know its poo-in-looscript in the front and the back

I'd love it if I could host my own shit and not be part of a ridiculous amount of data mining.

>skype for the rest.
Skype is absolute garbage. The only thing I liked about it is that I could tutor using screenshare. Normalfags couldn't bother to use alternatives.

I love discord.
[spoiler]it is the only way for anyone I know to contact me because I refuse to use other messengers and check my email like once a week. Discord just gets better and better with time. Been on it since the beginning.[/spoiler]

Its free and the latest VoIP program.
In all honesty it's fucking garbage, the client is bloated and massive and there's no way to make it smaller.
You can't even use the "light" theme because it doesnt properly change the channel list theme.

>Discucks will defend this
THE ABSOLUTE MADMEN

it's better than the alternatives but anyone not using BetterDiscord is a cuck
github.com/Jiiks/BetterDiscordApp

>$20,000
obviously freetard can't do math xd

I pay $4 annually for a VPS to host mine on. Can easily fit a musicbot on there too.
Shop around and don't shell out that kind of money for shit that really isn't supposed to cost that much.

So let's sum it up

>it's a feature rich service which includes sending pictures, videos and keeping them on the server
>It's a centralized service meaning they maintain all the servers
>users use the service free of charge without any time limit
>there are no ads
How do they make money again? Is there even a fucking "donation" button on their page.

Oh wait.
It's a fucking botnet.

"By uploading, distributing, transmitting or otherwise using Your Data with the Services, you grant to us a nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use Your Data, subject to the Company’s Privacy Policy."

Haha, how does ANYONE use this service, what the dog shit fuck?

It's "sleek" and it just werks supposedly.. Plus gaymers aren't the smartest demographic.
I'd much rather run my own server.

>>Discucks will defend this
nah we just don't give a shit, it just werks.

The licensing reads like Googles, and Microsoft's.
If you upload it, they own it.

What's exactly the difference? I've used discord, but not slack as much. To me, they seem so identical that they might as well be the same program, just one tooled for commercial use while the other just for a casual userbase. What possible benefits could slack have besides being more professional-oriented to justify almost 80 bucks per year per member? In its free mode it seems like a neutered version of discord to me.

>the client is bloated and massive and there's no way to make it smaller.
This holy christ, you can't resize the columns so if you put it in windowed half the dam screen is useless nonsense and not the chat which is the thing of interest.
Skype has it's issues but I still prefer it to this nonsense

FOSS Discord when? How are even making money? It's too fishy.

I'm pretty sure it blatantly says in the privacy policy that it sells your information to 3rd parties.

Slack has VoIP and Twitch integration?

>what is data mining

What about Matrix?

>yes
>no