Might there actually be a use for a raspberry pi?

raspberrypi.org/blog/scripto-distraction-free-writing-tool/

Other urls found in this thread:

raspberrypi.org/blog/scripto-distraction-free-writing-tool/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

there is literally no use for cheap soc's beyond tinkering and maybe the odd seedbox or vps

they make good cheap nfs or smb file shares too

and ftp

you'd be way better off with a banana pi then, much higher data transfer rates than the jewberry pi

and emulation stations

the raspi is huge with emulation, especially with the pi zero

Thank you captain obvious. Tinkering is exactly what they're for.

The Pi3 is powerful enough to serve as a low cost portable PC for light use that you can fit inside your pocket when you're on the move.

emulators are for nu-males and man-children

This doesn't look as disgusting as FreeWrite, but still, "distraction-free writing" is a hipster meme. If you can't use Word/Pages/whatever on a regular laptop without being "distracted", you won't be able to use one of these too because you still have your phone.

Also, e-ink screens are pretty bad for typing due to their lag.

I would love a portable terminal in the style of the HPLC palmtops or libretto subnotebooks. with eink or mono display for max batt life.

>raspberrypi.org/blog/scripto-distraction-free-writing-tool/
>copious amounts of Taylor Lautner GIFs on Tumblr.
I want to kill myself right now for ever buying one of those

>butchering a super nintendo for this

You're not wrong. With that said, I use "Distraction free" so I can make it look like Wordperfect 5.1. I could still use 5.1...but it looks like ass on anything that's not a 4:3 CRT.

Anybody who wants something like this should look into a Neo Alphasmart. It's cheap (not ~$400 is cheap!, but $30 cheap), isn't flooded with hipster shit, and was designed for kids to use, so it's durable as fuck.

Can you export documents at all? While good for just getting ideas out there, the limitations in formatting abilities limit its usability. However, if you could export and do that on a desktop or laptop then it would be pretty cool to have one.

The tiny, dim mono LCDs on those will make your eyes bleed after an hour or two.

Unless you live in a cabin in the woods and need weeks of battery life, why bother with these crutches when there are tons of minimalist writing apps you can put on a cheap chromebook, a used MBA or any other laptop or tablet+keyboard of your choice?

You can get dead consoles for next to nothing

[Citation Needed]

It has a send button. You hook it up to your computer, and hit the send key and it automatically shoots whatever you've typed to the screen. If you're actually writing something to publish, it does keep tabs and stuff. The idea was so that kids could type up reports and stuff and not have other shit distracting them. You can also hook it up to a printer and print, but eh.

LCD on it isn't too bad, actually. My only issue was that it didn't show enough text at once. Yes, I've used it for a while. Screen on a monitor or a tablet hurts my eyes more than that does.

But why the hell not? If people want this "distraction free" crap, they should know stuff like that exists. OP's is £300, Freewrite's fucking $600. I used a Samsung Q1 for a while, but decided just to do my shit at home, anyways.

Never mind that I think a lot of what you listed are shit, but that's just my opinion.

so you are safe being a fat faggot eating cheetos piece of shit, right?

I'd be into one of these with a conventional LCD display and a linux distro on it.

my distraction free trick: terminal ~ vim ~ alt+enter

hipster, send your money to me

Who's going to do writing at that aspect ratio? These wannabe inventors are retarded

>If people want this "distraction free" crap, they should know stuff like that exists

What rustles my jimmies is that these devices do not actually solve the distraction problem, they're an expensive placebo. If you can use something this limited without getting anxious and/or reaching for your phone, you can just as well use a standard word processor.
Alphasmart gets a pass because it's a device for schools and is really cheap, but anything as expensive as a laptop can fuck itself.

>buy used thinkpad
>install gentoo
>physically remove wifi card
ez pz

That's my whole point, really. I use the full screen stuff because I like it that way. Stuff like Freewrite intrigued me at first, but than it was like, why? Never mind that they're pushing DA CLOUD for storage, which I don't care for and don't trust.

That said, they're all really just hipster tools, nothing more really. Alphasmart is something else entirely, and it was nice to use. For $300 and up, why not just get a full computer?

>t. nu-male cuck

i can see the rasberry pi becoming part of something else like the soc computer component in a portable self-contained SDR radio sort of like the Titus2

let me add to that idea: for example, take a rasberry pi, a rtl-sdr sdr radio dongle, fuse them together with a touchscreen and ad a nice big rechargable battery that will last all day in a a portable unit and BAM you got a portable SDR radio, maybe use a modified rtl-sdr component that can have a FM broadcast band filter switched on or off because when wanting to listen to other frequencies outside the broadcast band without the filter you can sometimes get interference

>butchering a super nintendo case for this