Is web becoming the shittiest field of programming in the coming years?

Is web becoming the shittiest field of programming in the coming years?

I'm about to start my MS in CS and am already earning okay on the side (38k/yr) working as part-time frontend dev, but...

I've seen a couple threads on here and Stackoverflow talk about how frontend has peaked, is about to get automated and you can't really get further in your career after 5-10 years.

So what the fuck do I do - I love my job and setting up sites & web apps, but I want a serious career.
What fields are similar, that I can move into?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XsyogXtyU9o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

look at those nu-male

Just look at all the shit coming around with javascript and all the JS spin-offs.

It is amazing people has spent so much time building nice stuff based on it. It grows like a monster. It is not becoming the shittiest, it already is. The web is a paradise of click-baits, and ads where every company want to put their piece of work to annoy the user. You will have a career do not worry.

Oh, cool. I guess.

webdev is only worth it if you build your own projects slowly building passive income

I'm aiming more at a front end engineer position at a top 10 tech company.

They have pajeets for that.
Why would you like to dedicate your life to it anyways?

is pretty much right, own projects

I don't think normies are going to instantly pick up on Web Development because it's made easier, people are still lazy fuckers.

However, it will definitely be a lot less skill based and a lot more, "how many frameworks and libraries do you know?"

Well shit, I hate Pajeet.
'Cause I enjoy working in the field and those companies seem like you'd work with the best on the best of projects - But I'm here asking 'cause I don't really know.

All my own projects don't really make any income.

Well what do I do then

I used to be front-end, but my life has improved so much after going into back-end. Been getting huge salary bumps and promotions, while my other front-end coworkers have been left in the dust. Plus, I don't have to deal with product managers nitpicking every pixel.

>I am studying Computer Science
>I actually don't care about CS and just want to program

I never said I was a good student.

Everything is going mobile apps because it's harder to adblock that shit.

Web will soon return to its glorious former self.

there are already adblocks for mobile apps it is only matter of time until someone develops more user friendly one

that is a good reason for studying it. A lot of people do that. The things you learn are interesting, and you probably can use a lot of that, but staying at the university and researching some... boring things is not really a goal I have in mind.

>build data-centric web applications for internal use only
>only focus is displaying the data in a clean, easily readable format

Not all web development is terrible, OP. Only web development that has to cater to normies is terrible.

>starting a masters in CS
>only making 38k part time
jesus i feel bad for you

I'd kill to make 38k. If I got my degree and start making more than 30 I'd be happy.

But Computer Science is not about programming. You want to do Software Engineering.

aka Flowchart Engineering

I agree, but the only tech degree around here is CS.
Other than moving how should I go about it?

I mean I work 25 hours a week, I think it's okay.

Web dev will still have people working at it. Most people deal with web in some way or other in their daily life and it's just going to be more important.

same for me, its only cs and software engineering with economy, but I hate economy

underrated

Came here to post this. Those care free fuckers are the reason the web is so fucking broken and bloated.

Don't listen to this dumbfuck. Computer Science looks better on a resume than "Software Engineering".

This. Software engineering is for retards.

> Circlejerk and random papers
> "better than atual programming"

TWELVE MEGABYTE WEBPAGES THAT BRING AN i7 TO ITS KNEES

SENTENCE ALL WEB DEVELOPERS TO DEATH

I never said hiring managers were intelligent

Pretty soon we're gonna have assembly in web. Think about it, Sup Forums could be mining bitcoins using your machine and you won't even know it.

>web
>programming
>field
>38k
>okay
>CS
>web dev
>CS
>programming
>MS in web dev
Jesus christ user, you just invented controllable fission using my sides!

Sounds stupid, but if it takes off, maybe all the framework.js developers will be out of jobs.

No, it's WebAssembly, JavaScript that compiles to native code for web browsers. Still JS. It uses Node.js IIRC.

Why?

asm.js will rule

youtube.com/watch?v=XsyogXtyU9o

Normalfags aren't going to look for individual adblocked apps or jailbreak their devices.

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe all they do when they turn on their computer is open Atom, sip some new DANK IPA LMAO, and open Firefox so to them everything should be on the web. No fucking clue man.

what about all the hate against IPA?

It's completely oversaturated as a style. Every fucking brewery has like three IPAs now. And it's one of the hardest beers to fuck up because you can hide off flavours by just adding more LMAO hops.

I like IPAs, but I'm fucking sick of them. We don't need any more.

what's the "in" thing nowadays, chaps? if i were to grudgingly take a webdev job, what might i be working with? what would be parsing templates, accessing databases, and emitting html to the client?

also, is it all still fastcgi?

Ah, was just curious. I like them as well, and it seemed you hate them or hate the people drinking them.

I'm not the guy who first ripped on 'em, but I think that's where the backlash comes from. Lots of people are sick of them.

He was probably also referring to the overall craft beer hipster snob stereotype.

FastCGI is dead.

A simple app these days is a monolithic binary with an embedded HTTP server, with different paths mapped to different handlers. Each handler is just a function that sets a response code and some headers and returns a piece of text, so you're free to do whatever processing you want like in FastCGI, but you don't have the overhead the stupid IPC protocol. If you need a layer of indirection to handle caching and replication and so forth, you do it by forwarding HTTP requests. It's strangely elegant in a way.

i do have experience serving http sites with go, which fits that model. doing that feels quite tenuous, but then so does everything else involving http.

No, but all the women are rushing into it. Have you looked at any of the girls-in-IT programs? They're all only about frontend webdev, 'cause it's about making content pretty~. Have you ever seen a program calling girls into the graveyard shift of the data center? Or into network engineering?

>I've seen a couple threads on here and Stackoverflow talk about how frontend has peaked, is about to get automated and you can't really get further in your career after 5-10 years.

If you only know frontend dev, of course your career options would more limited.

>becoming

already is,senpai